Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I particularly liked the lake puzzle with the door where you have to make DOOR is SHUT and DOOR is OPEN and then the door disappears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Can I officially call myself a professional Tetris player after this?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sudden Javelin posted:

How many wins did you end up needing? I ended up only playing for a few hours during that.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

pixaal posted:

How many wins did you end up needing? I ended up only playing for a few hours during that.

I live in Europe. Our tournament was "999 random winners get money" instead of "the 999 people with the most wins".

I won exactly once.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sudden Javelin posted:

Congra-

Sudden Javelin posted:

I live in Europe. Our tournament was "999 random winners get money" instead of "the 999 people with the most wins".

I won exactly once.

oh um

that's nice good for you :)

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
thanks. it is good for me. i've got a thoroughly undeserved £9.99 worth of points.

So what's good on the eShop and costs a tenner?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sudden Javelin posted:

thanks. it is good for me. i've got a thoroughly undeserved £9.99 worth of points.

So what's good on the eShop and costs a tenner?

Take :10bux: off your next game! Don't just spend it to spend it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I particularly liked the lake puzzle with the door where you have to make DOOR is SHUT and DOOR is OPEN and then the door disappears

Huh, I remember making Door is Open and absolutely nothing happening. I can only open them by making other objects is Open and using them on the door

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Huh, I remember making Door is Open and absolutely nothing happening. I can only open them by making other objects is Open and using them on the door

Open is just a state that removes things that are Close when they touch.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

I think the trick is that Is Open objects only work if they touch Is Shut objects.

Which means if something is both Is Open and Is Shut they cancel themselves out.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

This game sounds really clever what is it called so I can grab it tonight

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's important to understand the nuances of what the various adjectives actually mean since sometimes there's a little more to it than might appear. Like Sink in the first level it appears is functionally similar to Defeat, but later the fact that Sink really means "mutual destruction with any non Float object" is important.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Having "DOOR is OPEN" not make the door open was the only time I've thought "hey why didn't that work, that should have worked. that's lame." when playing this game but if you actually think about it the usage of OPEN in the game just means an object that can open things that are shut, so it actually follows the game's logic.

Also the first few stages/worlds of this game have a whimsical BOTW exploration sort of feel where you're trying various things out and ultimately amazed at the fact that it actually worked. Good game.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Baba is You

Just finished Forest of Fall #7.

It took me awhile to experiment with pulling the conveyor belt, but once I finally did I thought "can I force the tree along with me?" and then everything clicked into place from there.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Sniper Elite V2 Remaster and Sniper Elite V3 Ultimate Edition coming to Switch, killing Hitler on the go might be fun with Gyro aiming.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

American McGay posted:

Having "DOOR is OPEN" not make the door open was the only time I've thought "hey why didn't that work, that should have worked. that's lame." when playing this game but if you actually think about it the usage of OPEN in the game just means an object that can open things that are shut, so it actually follows the game's logic.

I had the same experience but then I realized that I was making my assumptions based on the idea of a real world door, but in the game it's not as if the already established "Key is Open" did anything until I pushed it into a Shut Door and then I grasped it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

PowerBeard posted:

Sniper Elite V2 Remaster and Sniper Elite V3 Ultimate Edition coming to Switch, killing Hitler on the go might be fun with Gyro aiming.

Which is better? Gyro confirmed?

quote:

Sniper Elite 3 Ultimate Edition: Sniper Elite 3 Ultimate Edition is also coming to the Switch in 2019, offering intense sniping in soaring temperatures, all on the go. This feature-complete experience includes all the additional content ever released for the game, and Switch-exclusive local wireless multiplayer and motion controls. Fans can look out for more details soon.​
Welp, v2 doesn't mention motion so I'll go with this one.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 14, 2019

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
SE: V3 is less linear than V2, but is tougher as a result. It's like they made it in response to fan feedback and forget that new players might start with it, so be prepared for a tough road ahead.

Also I'm curious how it'll run in handheld.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah I started with V3 on PS4 and it felt pretty difficult sometimes but at the same time it was cool how you could sneak around and plan your attack.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Baba is You is Win

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Baba is You is a lot of fun to watch

watching people go from "dang how do I even get to the flag?" to realizing "wait what if..... wall is win?"

or even better, when they realize that what if... what if wall is you?

it's one of those games that makes you feel clever, like you somehow 'cheated' to get your win :allears:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Yeah Baba owns so far. Whoever made the comparisons to it being kind of a mashup of Lolo and Breath of the Wild is pretty accurate. With the Breath of the Wild comparison being applicable because of those "Wait, I can do THAT?" eureka moments to solve puzzles. It's a really charming little game.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Baba is Me

Well, downloading on my Switch at home waiting to be me

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Goddamn, fine, I'll download the loving thing.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I think I'm going to need to buy a TV, the Switch screen is really small for something like BOTW.

And is it normal for games to download slow as hell? BOTW took well over an hour to download 17GB, which is slow on my connection.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Most wireless internet is slow.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mdemone posted:

Goddamn, fine, I'll download the loving thing.

:same:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The best thing about Baba is You is that it's making me talk like an idiot to myself. Rock is Push? Baba is You? Aha! Push rock! Oh no! Rock is Float!

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Just picked up Baba today, but I've been enjoying people coming across the Poem level during their first playthrough.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wheeee posted:

I think I'm going to need to buy a TV, the Switch screen is really small for something like BOTW.

And is it normal for games to download slow as hell? BOTW took well over an hour to download 17GB, which is slow on my connection.

Really recommend the TCL S405 if you want a really cheap but good tv. Looks great and has very low input lag.

The Switch WiFi really sucks and doesn’t play well with some routers. That sounds about normal. Consider a USB Ethernet attachment for the dock.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The best thing about Baba is You is that it's making me talk like an idiot to myself. Rock is Push? Baba is You? Aha! Push rock! Oh no! Rock is Float!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
this loving game is frying my brain

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my god the bonus objective for Captain Toad DLC's final level

Please Nintendo, I am but a man :negative:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Diablo on the Switch is so good. It never grabbed me on PC but it's a great couch game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Elderbean posted:

Diablo on the Switch is so good. It never grabbed me on PC but it's a great couch game.

I'm pissed that I got it on PC and played nothing else for a couple months.

Having it on the go would be perfect but there's nothing more I could get out of the game

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Do you need to have beaten the game or gotten to a certain point in the game to do the DLC levels? I played through Captain Toad on the WiiU back in the day, and didn't get too far on the Switch version because a bunch of other new things came out, but I'd like to play the new levels.

Also I just figured out the second bonus level in the lake and it felt real good
This one took me like half an hour or more to puzzle out but I felt so smart once I processed it.

Without giving away the entire solution, the key to solving it for me was to realize that, in those early levels at least, Text is always Push. I wonder if that changes later because that would be so annoying but also fun.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Does Captain Toad actually have a 100% goal? I believe I got all the stuff in the main books, but the last book is missing a bunch of pages.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O49RPl1BSiE

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Oh gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

what even is that game