Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zack Ater posted:

Typical of a lot of jobs, really.

SMN seems worse about it than most, though. I really like SMN and it's become my main class, but I do all my roulettes as RDM because I hate playing SMN below 60 or thereabouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Kwyndig posted:

I'm still getting my last crafter to 60 before I push to get them to cap. I just wish somebody had told me that custom deliveries for crafters gives exp to what class turns it in and not which one made it.

you're wasting a lot of potential xp by not starting the grind to 70. namazu has 3 quests per day plus there are even more custom deliveries for SB.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
That's because ARR SMN suuuuuuuuuuucked.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Cythereal posted:

SMN seems worse about it than most, though. I really like SMN and it's become my main class, but I do all my roulettes as RDM because I hate playing SMN below 60 or thereabouts.

RDM really is good for roulettes. DRG (my main) isn't great at 60, and particularly bad sub-50 :(

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah I'd say it's less that SMN is really bad and more than a handful of jobs just got off lucky. 50 PLD and BLM are basically torture at this point.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Countblanc posted:

50 PLD ... basically torture at this point.

Indeed. You get 1 combo, have fun!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

At least PLD gets a DPS stance! Deliverance isn't until fuckin 52! :argh:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
These days, I can't even say that SMN even gets really started at 60. Yeah, you get a dragon laser every now and then, but you're pretty much doing the same stuff as 1-59 and boy, going back to the old Dot timers pre mid 60s is rough.

I kind of miss HW SMN though, because that was back when Ruin 3 was an MP guzzling haymaker and Dreadwyrm Trance didn't lock out Aetherflow. So that would mean that people would be firing off Festers in Trance, or even do dumb poo poo like using Old Contagion and using Bane on a wall to wall pull and have the mobs still absolutely melt.

The one thing I don't miss, however, is Aethertrail being on a timer because tanks just loved to get into the boss room, pause for 30 seconds, and have my poo poo drop all the way off.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
this is just rude. all i wanted was the materia for the book that i also don't have but isn't on the MB either :smith:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
:eng101: Round up some folks for a gripping adventure in Diadem and turn your spoils into Materia IIIs.

Then overcharge people for the leftovers they need for their relics! :homebrew:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Collect a bunch of the 1's and 2s and see if you can get lucky transmuting them?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It might be easier to buy up mainstat IIIs and transmute them than hope for an upgrade from Is and IIs.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Omake from the same run:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

SL the Pyro posted:

Omake from the same run:

Congratulations!

I'm 0/8 right now on BA as a whole. :smith: Working on doing atleast one run on each day off I have, but yeah, I just really am not getting lucky. Got Ozma down to 39% the other day. Rocking a Kirin's Osode and +2 Scouting Hands, Legs, and Boots. Think I'll continue to work on getting my daggers up to Physeos rank once I do finish Ozma, but one step at a time.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I got LTW to 49.5 yesterday in prep for when ARM hits 60 & I only have two more sub-50 crafters to go. At first I was doing Namazu, moogle, and 6 ixali quests a day, but it was going to make me quit so I stopped doing the ixali and just burned a bunch of leve allowances leveling my sub-50’s.
It’s absolutely worth it. You can basically spend 250k at vendors and 80 leves per class to blitz through the levels. If you start to feel burnout over switching classes and equiping the ethcal wristbands, do yourself a favor and stop before it gets bad.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Trasson posted:

My solution to hotbar bloat was to get a steam controller. Now I need to struggle to fill all my slots.

What is your config? I've been trying to setup/create one I'm comfortable with but gave up months ago.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chakan posted:

I got LTW to 49.5 yesterday in prep for when ARM hits 60 & I only have two more sub-50 crafters to go. At first I was doing Namazu, moogle, and 6 ixali quests a day, but it was going to make me quit so I stopped doing the ixali and just burned a bunch of leve allowances leveling my sub-50’s.
It’s absolutely worth it. You can basically spend 250k at vendors and 80 leves per class to blitz through the levels. If you start to feel burnout over switching classes and equiping the ethcal wristbands, do yourself a favor and stop before it gets bad.

lol if you're not just saving the wristbands to the class that's doing namazu dailies so you can quick swap to craft the ixal stuff in like two or three actions

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Zack Ater posted:

Re: elemental armor being easy to obtain, I just found out from a friend trying to do that literally just a few minutes ago, that you have to finish the pagos weapon first. He finished getting all his logos actions tonight and the armor guy would have nothing to do with him :(

As a follow-up to this... My friend is crazy. To be fair, he already had a ton of anemos, pagos, and pyros crystals; but when I made that post he had not even started his weapon, had no light (couldn't get the kettle cause he didn't have the anemos weapon), no feathers or ice (but he did have penthe flames), and was level... 53? Ish?

He finished his weapon and +1 armor set 4 hours ago, except for weapon substats. I don't know how much of that ~30 hours was actually spent in-game and working on the weapon, but at least 9-10 hours was light grinding in pagos, I think via levelsync cheese but I've not asked. gently caress pagos light.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Every time I think to myself "ok I'm gonna go work on eureka some more" I think about it for a second and then go work on my fishing log or mining log instead because they're far less painful

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Eureka is what I do when I have an evening where I want to tune out, listen to music and not pay a whole lot of attention. But I'm still down at Lvl 23 so sometimes thats just finishing challenge logs and forgetting about the place for a week.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I concur on summoner chat I have no idea how I played that class in 2.0 because gently caress does 50 summoner do NOTHING

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing was doing LLDR with AST and losing the Draw ability if you’re synced under 30

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Kashuno posted:

My favorite thing was doing LLDR with AST and losing the Draw ability if you’re synced under 30

And it leaves you with Malefic and Combust as your only damage spells. LL AST is agonizing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pre-30 AST is still generally better than pre-30 WHM. Essential Dignity is strong enough to carry sole healing responsibility in the majority of cases.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

is there a site that has the gathering log sorted by zone?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Sixfools posted:

What is your config? I've been trying to setup/create one I'm comfortable with but gave up months ago.

Okay, so first of all, in order to get how I have my controller set up, you need to see how my hotbars are laid out. You're getting a screenshot I took to chuckle at someone's outfit and show some friends because I told myself I'm not resubbing until I get my graphics card upgrade (which should be tomorrow). This, however, shows the important things.

The main things are the following:

I have two 4x3 hotbars set up to the left of my main crossbar. That's the purple and cyan circles in the screenshot.
I have another hotbar off to the side with Sprint on it. That's the yellow circle.
I have Toggle controls set, and the Expanded Hotbar on. Most notably, unlike most suggestions that use that setting, RT->LT and LT->RT point to different hotbars.

That last part is important. You can get away without them being different depending on the job but as you'll see there's little point.

The two hotbars on the left you'll notice have abilities in a cross orientation. This is not coincidental.

Some of this is fairly orthodox. Some is not.

The left pad is for movement and maps to the left stick. Notably, I have an outer-edge binding set up to hit Control+1 when I touch the very outer edge. This is mapped to Sprint, and is why that's on that separate hotbar next to my HP and such. This allows me to save a button on my hotbar. This does mean you have to learn a bit of finesse if you want to save Sprint for something and not accidentally pop it.

The analog stick, face buttons, and right pad are all mapped exactly as you'd expect. Note the right pad is set to Joystick Move: for whatever reason Valve seems to think people want to trackball their cameras and so Joystick Camera is the default. This is dumb. Set it to Joystick Move so you can just tap the pad however you need to move the camera.

Similarly, Left and Right Bumper are unchanced, as are Start and Select (shut up Microsoft I'm not calling it Back). The Left Grip button is mapped to the Left Stick click: I changed in FF14 the setting to make that Assist Target.

Now we get to the nonsense.

The Left Pad has a Mode Shift set. When it's clicked in, it turns into this:

What's that? Go look at my hotbar screenshot above. The four up/down/left/right abilities in the purple circle are mapped to these keys. So clicking my left pad up uses Diversion, clicking it right uses Lucid Dreaming, clicking it down uses Surecast, and clicking it left uses Apocatastasis.

Don't take this as necessarily a recommendation of good places to put RDM stuff, by the way. I've only really used it in POTD, and this screenshot was taken eight levels prior.

Anyway, if I click in the Left Pad without a direction that fires the Limit Break. I don't really use that shortcut for it, but it offended my sense of symmetry and aesthetics to not have it set up

So that's the purple circle. How about the cyan circle? How is that used?

Simple: right grip plus analog stick. Normally the analog stick does D-Pad up/down/left/right stuff. Holding the right grip changes this so now it uses the abilities marked in the cyan circle. In this case, using Right Grip + Analog Stick Right does Riposte, Right Grip + Down does Zwerchhau, Right Grip plus Left does Redoublement and Right Grip plus Up does Moulinet. Finally, Right Grip plus clicking the stick does the center abilitiy. This is mapped to Limit Break for everything, and let me tell you it's real nice never having to worry you forgot to put Limit Break on a job you haven't used yet.

But wait, there's more! The Right Grip does two things. Just as it shifts the Analog Stick "left" in a sense, it also switches the face buttons left. While the right grip is held down, the face buttons map to the D-Pad. This means that your face and d-pad abilities are now equally accessible, with no having to determine which need to be usable on the move and which aren't. You can move with your left hand and access all your current hotbar abilities with your right. Even if you do nothing else, I highly recommend this change. It makes your life so much more convenient and as a bonus you get to navigate menus with one hand while you take a drink or something.

The final setup is with my triggers.

Both triggers are set up the same, with the exception of which is the soft pull and which is the hard pull. What these do is trigger the expanded hotbar. Holding the right trigger down and clicking it down will use the RT->LT hotbar, and holding the left trigger down and clicking it down will use the LT->RT hotbar. The only caveat with this is you have to be a bit careful: if you let go of LT and then immediately slam down RT to get your RT->LT hotbar, if you're :sloppy: you'll get the LT->RT hotbar. It's best to be a bit gentle with this. Additionally, if you just need the LT or RT hotbar it's easiest to have your finger sit just above the click threshold button. That said, that can still be a bit tiring (especially when your middle and ring fingers are married to the grip buttons), and that's why I use toggle controls: I can just lightly tap LT or RT to bring up the appropriate hotbar.
Since with the Right Grip stuff above I can access face and d-pad abilities equally, and the extra two hotbars available give my access to another eight moves at all time no matter which hotbar is up, I can minimize switching.

As a final note, to address the "Okay, so great. Now what do I use these for?"

The left hotbars I usually put various cooldowns or utility functions on, especially when they work as a set. Lucid Dreaming is here on everything but AST, while PLD has defensive cooldowns there. Summoner gets its three Bahamut buttons there: Summon Bahamut, Akh Morn, and Deathflare.

Obviously my "main" stuff goes on the primary hotbar. This is classified as either spammable things to lighten the load as much as possible, or utility that needs to always be at hand as fast as possible (e.g. Swiftcast). Since I'm right handed, I find RT easier to hit, so my RT->LT hotbar has the next tier of stuff to use. For example, on Scholar, this is where I put everything Aetherflow since Aetherflow stuff needs to be always accessible but isn't spammable as it's all limited to three times every 45 seconds. Finally, things that I can use but are never at the top of the list of things I need are on LT->RT: Surecast, Resurrection, Summoning stuff, etc.; that's not to say any of these are bad, but it's hard to argue I need easier access to Resurrection than I do Broil 2 or Lustrate. It's not any slower to get to, it's just not as comfortable to reach as the other options.

This is all stuff I'm still tweaking, even, as I've found other jobs just don't fit the mold as well in some cases. White Mage, for example, I've found I like having AOE heals sitting on the right grip+left stick combo, since I always want them but don't want to shuffle off stuff like Benediction to a less accessible place (because when you want Benediction you want it immediately). Black Mage, on the other hand...

Black Mage I realized what I most wanted was easy access to mobility. And so each of those buttons is Aetherial Manipulationto the appropriate party slot, with the ability itself sitting there so I can see its cooldown.

It's definitely worth playing around and seeing what works for you, since FF14 can be kind of stupidly customizable at points, and the entire point of the Steam Controller is stupid customizability, and so combine the two and...yeah. Hopefully this helps a bit!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

SettingSun posted:

And it leaves you with Malefic and Combust as your only damage spells. LL AST is agonizing.

I'll never stop being mad about Gravity being lvl 52 instead of 50. Give me my god drat AoE :argh:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'll never stop being mad about Gravity being lvl 52 instead of 50. Give me my god drat AoE :argh:

"Wouldn't it have been better for you to know this earlier? Yeah, I guess, LOL"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So I did The Burn for the first time yesterday, and Mist Dragon is an annoying boss, We wiped once when both myself and the healer ate whatever move it is that has an asterisk formed out of lines, I got hit by three of them because I wasn't paying attention, the healer ate all of them. After that we did okay but it was a close call on the first mist form.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Kwyndig posted:

So I did The Burn for the first time yesterday, and Mist Dragon is an annoying boss, We wiped once when both myself and the healer ate whatever move it is that has an asterisk formed out of lines, I got hit by three of them because I wasn't paying attention, the healer ate all of them. After that we did okay but it was a close call on the first mist form.

You should ask some goons to do a Burn run with you tonight... :getin:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

ive done the burn like 20 times and on the double fog plume i still basically just guess and pray

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Double fog plume ain't bad, but I main MCH and can usually run around until I find somewhere that looks safe.

Ask me about the time I ran as SCH and found out that with bad enough DPS, there can be 3 fog phases :smithicide:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Double Fog Plume to me at this point is "just don't get hit by both at once!"

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Double Fogs: pop sprint, run around the outskirts until you see the dragon's path. If you do this and still can't find it before he attacks, you'll likely have been running long enough that you would have almost found it anyway, putting you in a safe zone.

I love the Burn. It's definitely one of my favorite SB dungeons.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The Grimace posted:

Double Fogs: pop sprint, run around the outskirts until you see the dragon's path. If you do this and still can't find it before he attacks, you'll likely have been running long enough that you would have almost found it anyway, putting you in a safe zone.

I love the Burn. It's definitely one of my favorite SB dungeons.

Fog plume is the attack that drops the start shaped aoe under the target, which puts full arena line aoe's emanating from it. Late in the fight two party members get targetted by them, which puts a gently caress ton of lines all over the place.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Fog plume is the attack that drops the start shaped aoe under the target, which puts full arena line aoe's emanating from it. Late in the fight two party members get targetted by them, which puts a gently caress ton of lines all over the place.

Oh, those ones. When I notice he's starting to do that one, I run away from the dragon and try to get on the outskirts, since that makes it a bit easier for everyone else to dodge since they're usually closer to the center.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

My problem with the Burn as a tank was that one cone AoE he does auto-gibbed me a couple times even if I was at full health. I have no idea what I was doing wrong but it felt like I was taking double damage for some reason. Dragging him to the very edge of the arena seemed to help, but it still spooks me even with much better gear than the first time I ran it.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Captain Cappy posted:

My problem with the Burn as a tank was that one cone AoE he does auto-gibbed me a couple times even if I was at full health. I have no idea what I was doing wrong but it felt like I was taking double damage for some reason. Dragging him to the very edge of the arena seemed to help, but it still spooks me even with much better gear than the first time I ran it.

Yeah, that's because he does two attacks very close together, and the frost tick from the circle he just put down is generally enough to kill you. Best bet is once you get the marker above your head, pop a cool down and once the marker resolves, immediately move to get out of the frost circles.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Need to TBN/Divine Benison/Adlo/Noct.

Mist dragon is 85% a healer test and 10% DPS and 5% tank. And each person can gently caress it up for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Any time you need to rely on healers they will eventually let you down. Either by not spot healing you after a raid wide or other unavoidable damage or by just dying to mechanics.