Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

corn in the bible posted:

Fallout 3 is kind of lame but you get the feeling, when playing it, that people who worked on it read half of a Wikipedia article about Fallout to some degree

Adjusted to reflect reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Spun Dog posted:

In a sort of cargo cultish way, yeah.

A vision of what was to come.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Deadguy2322 posted:

Adjusted to reflect reality.

don't let the design decisions of bethesdas elite reflect the entire team. a lot of the side quests and areas could have been pulled right out of fallout 2. some people on that team clearly liked the old fallout games.

it's surprising how much of fallout 3 being bad you can attribute to the bizarre game choices and awful story. if you ignore any presence of the main quest and pretend it's 30 years after the bombs dropped, it's not a bad game for its time.

"Can't say it's what I'd have picked for you. But if that's your game, that's your game." -doc meyers-briggs testicle

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

What did the new Skyrim patch do?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

don't let the design decisions of bethesdas elite reflect the entire team. a lot of the side quests and areas could have been pulled right out of fallout 2. some people on that team clearly liked the old fallout games.

it's surprising how much of fallout 3 being bad you can attribute to the bizarre game choices and awful story. if you ignore any presence of the main quest and pretend it's 30 years after the bombs dropped, it's not a bad game for its time.

"Can't say it's what I'd have picked for you. But if that's your game, that's your game." -doc meyers-briggs testicle

Even some of the main stuff, like the president's ridiculous radio broadcasts, at least show some interest or care

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

heard u like girls posted:

It's not but, you can talk about it here if you want :-)

Whoops, you're totally right! I tried looking up a definitive answer and saw more than anyone was meant to see. Seems they wanted to use that classic 80s Nagel print but couldn't afford it and swapped out for some centaur skank.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/1070125621785714688

Usually you wait for people to put money into your game before you pull the EPIC Exclusivity rug out from under them, but sure, Randy. Embezzle from EPIC if its true that they paid Phoenix Point somewhere between 2-3 million for 1 year exclusivity. I almost hope he gets greedy and tries to see how many not games he can set up with them just to see if EPIC keeps paying them for garbage.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Crabtree posted:

if its true that they paid Phoenix Point somewhere between 2-3 million for 1 year exclusivity.

Boo.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

No Mods No Masters posted:

New Features: Brewing and Distilling – AVAILABLE NOW – Go on a new quest to discover the secrets of the forbidden brew Nukashine and bring the party back to your C.A.M.P with new brewing and distilling systems and recipes. 

I wonder if the nukashine recipe involves both a glass jar and a plastic bottle.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

There was some jibber jabber about something new in FO4 on the intro screen but there was nothing new in the creation club.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Randy has beef with valve for some old business so that makes sense him wanting to get off steam

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Donovan Trip posted:

Randy has beef with valve for some old business so that makes sense him wanting to get off steam

That goes back to Decay being generally regarded as the best Half-Life add-on, followed by Fat Bastard pitching a fit and declaring it non-canon. There were also allegations of Valve not paying on time and general dicking Gearbox around on the PS2 port.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

http://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1106243612055162880

I love _____ boy

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
No they just ran out of numbers and had to switch to somethings else - now they're using colors and this is the magenta vault. Not to be confused with the fuchsia, maroon, violet or purple vaults.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Vault Purple is clearly where they are runing experiments on completely colorblind people.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

See kids, this is why it's important to get Counter-Strike: Source

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Deadguy2322 posted:

That goes back to Decay being generally regarded as the best Half-Life add-on, followed by Fat Bastard pitching a fit and declaring it non-canon. There were also allegations of Valve not paying on time and general dicking Gearbox around on the PS2 port.

The Half Life expansions were the last time Gearbox made decent ports. All of their ports after Half Life sucked and they decided to work on their own IPs instead.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/yohosiefgc/status/1106252482244599808

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
Died. Couldn't find my god damned lunch bag filled with all kinds of good poo poo. gently caress this game.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Valve tried to take a producer role for a while, they're not very good at it. They were simultaneously trying to get steam off the ground. Gearbox and turtlerock and a few others were all trying to make that condition zero game as well as ports with no direction, they couldn't even get an email back from valve. Eventually valve outright bought the studios they could, gearbox passed on that.

This is from memory of things happening nearly twenty years ago so if anyone else has more details, cool

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EDIT: No I do, it was in the wrong spot :negative:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I don't...

Oh

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Twincityhacker posted:

Vault Purple is clearly where they are runing experiments on completely colorblind people.

Or Fallout 76's endgame is you have to go up against the Third Street Saints.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

twit666 posted:

Died. Couldn't find my god damned lunch bag filled with all kinds of good poo poo. gently caress this game.

My favorite glitch is when you die and you get the mission to get your loot and the map markers never show up so you have to look around where you died and this happens.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

I don't...

Oh

Everything is either goatse or loss, it's like an internet rule

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reminder to the thread that No-bark Noonan is the greatest character in all of Fallout and would be an amazing addition to the Ubstoppables

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

Reminder to the thread that No-bark Noonan is the greatest character in all of Fallout and would be an amazing addition to the Ubstoppables

It's a hard toss up for me between No-Bark, Boxcars, or Fantastic. All so so good! Boxcars was the moment I realized that Bethesda didn't know how to really use swear words in a game in a way that isn't both pointless and gratuitous.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Although, being a scientist, I must admit I may have blinked for longer than usual, what with the shock of seeing a Commie-ghost and all."

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think my favorite line isn't from him, but from Wayne Newton when they interviewed him. Paraphrase: "No-Bark spoke to a toy bear near one of our microphones." That line always gets me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Well then, we've got us a Chupacabra with an automatic weapon, and that's when they get real quiet because they realize the predicament we're in!"

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

I don't...

Oh

lmao

I didn't get it either, boy that is something.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Jesus Christ how is this loving game not $20 yet

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

Fallout 3 is kind of lame but you get the feeling, when playing it, that people who worked on it played and/or liked Fallout to some degree

It was also trying to recover the franchise from the comically toxic fanbase by adding modern elements and play style which was wildly more popular.

Well OK most of the DLC content sucked poo poo besides Broken steel and that other one at the swamp, but it did resurrect the Fallout as something that sells.

The merciful thing would be to put Fallout 76 to a life support with emphasis on the "solo content on a MP map" and start working on a Fallout 4: location or Fallout 5.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Another Bill posted:

It was "free" in germany for a while. But for PC lowering it further would hurt Todd's Pride and feelings.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Was the fanbase that toxic at that point? I remember people on SA laughing at idiots from NMA back at the time, but were they like that in the years between 2 & 3?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Was the fanbase that toxic at that point? I remember people on SA laughing at idiots from NMA back at the time, but were they like that in the years between 2 & 3?

If anything, they were worse between the Van Buren and Fallout 3. They had already decided that F:T and F:B were already out and everything not-van-buren was heresy.

The Fallout: New Vegas calmed things down, but I think now they are arguing if Fallout 2 is canon, or just partially-canon.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

The Fallout: New Vegas calmed things down, but I think now they are arguing if Fallout 2 is canon, or just partially-canon.

Literally the same argument they've been having since f2 came out

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Donovan Trip posted:

Literally the same argument they've been having since f2 came out

Well, yes. :)

But also fans in general accepted F3 as a setting with the F:NV being the dealbreaker, and generally F4 was kinda cool, albeit having some problems in the end-game especially with the story.

So relatively the NMA core group is much less influential, and do not pop out everywhere when someone says something about Fallout games.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Another Bill posted:

AUS and EMEA keys have been less than that since forever, if you wanna brave one of the better grey market sites. No dice yet for US/CAN though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just want another game where the NPCs don't default to hostile the minute they make eye contact with you. I liked that in New Vegas. Sure you have Vipers and Jackals and Fiends and the occasional paranoid Brotherhood patrol but for the most part people will at least try to talk first before the guns come out. Even wannabes like the powder gangers are more interested in shaking down travelers than murdering them.