Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Srice posted:

Thinking the next thing I read might be something from the longlist...anyone have any takes on anything on the list?

someone somewhere was saying that bury your plow under the dead of their bones or whatever was really good and i'll probably pick that up in the near future

i haven't read the can xue book that's on the list but her stuff in general is good (and weird)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What are some of the must-reads of Japanese lit? I've been reading some Mishima and Yoko Ogawa and I think I'd like to check out some more.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Rashomon and Silence!

Kenzaburo Oe is supposedly very good and subtle.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

What are some of the must-reads of Japanese lit? I've been reading some Mishima and Yoko Ogawa and I think I'd like to check out some more.

yasunari kawabatas palm of the hand stories are gorgeous

kobo abe obvs check out woman in the dunes for a shot of what he's about

one day i will find a way to get the collected works of jun tsuji but until that day arrives i just need to tell other people to look out for him

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The Good Murakami

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

CestMoi posted:

The Good Murakami

Reading this thread has made me assume that anybody who recommends Murakami is either doing it ironically or is trying to hurt me in some way

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there a recommended translation of the Palm of the Hand stories?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

MockingQuantum posted:

Reading this thread has made me assume that anybody who recommends Murakami is either doing it ironically or is trying to hurt me in some way

he means ryu murakami

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

he means ryu murakami

Ahh I was unfamiliar with Ryu Murakami, this looks very much up my alley. I retract my suspicion.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
who rules

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Is Alice Munro any good? I see a collection of short stories for $1 I could snag.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sometimes I think about rereading Coin Locker Babies but I suspect it would underwhelm the second time.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

toanoradian posted:

Volokhonsky opening the story with a whole paragraph in French is an annoying move though.
Yeah, that's in the original, but if you don't like it, that's another point for the Dunnigan.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I know it really shouldn't but goons' translation criticism irks me

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heath posted:

Is there a recommended translation of the Palm of the Hand stories?
I think there's just the Dunlop/Holman collection in English. Wikipedia says that Holman later translated more of them for The Dancing Girl of Izu and Other Stories.

Lex Neville posted:

Sorry for posting about the thing I went to grad school for, I guess. :shrug:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lex Neville posted:

I honestly love it and appreciate everyone taking the time for their recommendations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I honestly love it and appreciate everyone taking the time for their recommendations.

Yeah, this. There are so many classic works that I bounced off of before and have since enjoyed because I tried a different translation, usually one recommended here. I'm a dummy so it's something I never really considered before it was brought up in discussion.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Is Alice Munro any good? I see a collection of short stories for $1 I could snag.

Go for it!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

pospysyl posted:

Go for it!

Thank you!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Lex Neville posted:

whenever i talk about which translations i liked or didn't like i try to make it a priori obvious that i am dumb as poo poo

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

whenever i talk about which translations i liked or didn't like i try to make it a priori obvious that i am dumb as poo poo

same, but with all my posts about books

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

She is good but my favorite Munro thing will always be this

https://www.theonion.com/thunk-u-for-nobbel-prise-me-happie-now-1819584899

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Sorry for posting about the thing I went to grad school for, I guess. :shrug:

I forgive you

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

yeah i cant think of a single time in years that i've read a book with multiple translations without googling the merits of each or just asking in here so please keep doing it

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Franchescanado posted:

Nobel laureate so take that for what its worth.

My partner is a big fan but I've not yet read any of her collections

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's the Everyman's Library hardcover edition of Carried Away, which I hope is a good start for her.

I feel like I've read a story or two of Munro's, maybe in a lit course, but I can't remember.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

We should put her in a BotM

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Something from the bottle wake in QQCS that struck me was both a comment on Marxist vs. post-structuralist criticism and a mention Franchescanado made of a basic film criticism thread in CineD. Whereas I don't watch much film but do read I was wondering if there was a similar "how to lit crit" thread somewhere around here, or if we could post some links to help STEM ignoramuses like me out when approaching literary criticism.

I have a passing familiarity with French Theory but would be very interested in a discussion of theory for approaching texts

Thanks and god bless

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Something from the bottle wake in QQCS that struck me was both a comment on Marxist vs. post-structuralist criticism and a mention Franchescanado made of a basic film criticism thread in CineD. Whereas I don't watch much film but do read I was wondering if there was a similar "how to lit crit" thread somewhere around here, or if we could post some links to help STEM ignoramuses like me out when approaching literary criticism.

I have a passing familiarity with French Theory but would be very interested in a discussion of theory for approaching texts

Thanks and god bless

I'd be interested in this as well, I'm not formally educated about lit crit at all but generally enjoy digging deeper into works than the surface level I tend to read them at. I know Franchescanado had a "good prose vs. bad prose" thread for a bit that I lost track of, I couldn't find it on my phone but maybe it's still around.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Thanks and god bless

being stem is no excuse

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

CestMoi posted:

being stem is no excuse

Well, yeah, sorta. I never had the course distribution to spend on literary theory. I had to devote pretty much every waking hour to reading in my discipline for several years, and I read and write in it daily, and so it took me many years to get my head back around to the idea of reading for fun and relaxation too. I did only a few lit courses during my undergrad, a two semester-long "great books" class (not really lit crit but more general cultural education), and as a freshman I, a know it all, took a 4th year course on The Modern Novel which I failed because of the beginning of Chapter 3 (or 4 I forget off the top of my head) of Ulysses stopping me dead. Presumably this course employed theory but I realized I was in way too much over my head but instead of dropping I the class I dropped acid and ignored my situation :)

I am now starting to work my way through those novels I missed in that class and would appreciate a better grounding in critical theory. My wife got a ton in both her women's studies course as well as her advanced legal theory courses later, so I got a little of the idea behind Foucault and Derrida through osmosis.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 14, 2019

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I read all of those French guys as an undergrad, and they're all bad, along with being pedophiles.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I read all of those French guys as an undergrad, and they're all bad, along with being pedophiles.

And yet I am told that Foucault's power analysis in particular is very helpful

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

chernobyl kinsman posted:

someone somewhere was saying that bury your plow under the dead of their bones or whatever was really good and i'll probably pick that up in the near future

i haven't read the can xue book that's on the list but her stuff in general is good (and weird)

Wound up picking the Can Xue book since it was readily available...ty to everyone who threw out some takes :cheerdoge:

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Dudes, I didn't mean to say you shouldn't discuss translations! If anything, I meant the opposite. I enjoy it, but hollow phrases like "british-ize", "fidelity", "literal" etc demand elaboration :( (i.e. "this translation is great because it's really faithful" or "terrible because it's clunky" doesn't mean anything. as I said though, it's a stupid peeve to have)

I would love to see more in-depth translation criticism, is what I meant. my bad

did you do translation studies Sham?

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

As one of my English professors said when she heard we were reading Foucault in film theory, "ah, well, film is always lagging behind everyone else."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

publishko posted:

As one of my English professors said when she heard we were reading Foucault in film theory, "ah, well, film is always lagging behind everyone else."

owns

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

being stem is no excuse

i'm a stem guy and i read the big smart man books, and i vote

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

walter benjamin is god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

walter benjamin is god

"Humankind, which once, in Homer, was an object of contemplation for the Olympian gods, has now become one for itself. Its self-alienation has reached the point where it can experience its own annihilation as a supreme aesthetic pleasure. Such is the aestheticizing of politics, as practiced by fascism. Communism replies by politicizing art."