Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

also since we're posting our local thrift store hauls:

I don't know anything about "We, the Drowned" but i couldn't resist the "advanced reading copy"

Also the bob larson book is that primo 80s satanic panic poo poo :discourse:

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Lol the goldfinch was also in my last charity shop haul

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

oh yeah i dont know anything about the goldfinch either is it good?

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

Tim Burns Effect posted:

also since we're posting our local thrift store hauls:

I don't know anything about "We, the Drowned" but i couldn't resist the "advanced reading copy"

Also the bob larson book is that primo 80s satanic panic poo poo
Too bad, I've had "We, the Drowned" in my to-read-list for a while and I don't quite remember why. Wanted to ask you about it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
if you read the canterbury tales in translation you go straight to hell when you die. sad but true

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
We, The Drowned has an excellent art direction for it's physical copy, and it always grabs my eye at the book store.

I've never heard anyone say good things about it, though. Or actually read it.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

We, The Drowned has an excellent art direction for it's physical copy, and it always grabs my eye at the book store.

I've never heard anyone say good things about it, though. Or actually read it.

im gonna do it, i will read the book,

chernobyl kinsman posted:

if you read the canterbury tales in translation you go straight to hell when you die. sad but true

teach me to read middle english and ill throw my copy away and send you a pic of me doing it

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The Penguin edition has like an annotation for every potentially unfamiliar word.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
you dont actually need to learn or study middle english like you would another language, you just keep reading it until you learn the vocabulary. it helps to read it out loud, or at least read it phonetically, because a lot of the seemingly-foreign words are just modern english words spelled weirdly. ME actually has a much smaller vocab than modern english.

there are whole lessons on ME grammar online but i never did any of that, i just kept reading it (in editions with glossaries or using wiktionary as a supplement) until it all made sense. doesn't take too long. learning the pronunciation is a lot of fun.

here's an interlinear translation of the general prologue which might be fun

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
We, the Drowned is really good. It also got my brother Reading Seriously again after he borrowed my copy, so I feel a personal gratitude toward it too.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

you dont actually need to learn or study middle english like you would another language, you just keep reading it until you learn the vocabulary. it helps to read it out loud, or at least read it phonetically, because a lot of the seemingly-foreign words are just modern english words spelled weirdly.

sounds like reading finnegans wake tbh

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

We, the Drowned is really good. It also got my brother Reading Seriously again after he borrowed my copy, so I feel a personal gratitude toward it too.

i didn't really examine my copy too closely until just now:

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
it always feels cool to receive an ARC or manuscript until it gets changed and you need to revisit a bunch of work you did :(

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

oh yeah i dont know anything about the goldfinch either is it good?

its real good op

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mel Mudkiper posted:

its real good op

what the christ did you do for that red text?

Other than help make a donation to lowtax's spinal fund and gift emporium

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
lol botl got banned for making fun of a grown man's taking pictures of his action figures and posting them on the internet

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Bilirubin posted:

what the christ did you do for that red text?

Other than help make a donation to lowtax's spinal fund and gift emporium

I told a dude in CD that Captain Marvel had anti refugee themes in its ending lol

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

lol botl got banned for making fun of a grown man's taking pictures of his action figures and posting them on the internet

I thought that was the raison d'etre of SomethingAwful, a comedy forum

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I told a dude in CD that Captain Marvel had anti refugee themes in its ending lol

lol :owned:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I think of it as Franx prodding me to donate more to Lowtax

But even then, :lol:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Tim Burns Effect posted:

idk if it qualifies for this thread but i'm about 3/4s of the way through Wolf Hall and i'm enjoying it a lot. After reading through several books in a row with unconventional narrative structures over the last couple of months it's been a nice palate cleanser at least

also since i went to catholic school it's a fun twist on thomas more being the good guy lol

I like wolf hall, it's a fun read and it avoids the typical english thing of looking at the tudors in a really stale way. Thomas More is the best character though. Not read the other one yet

Also Chaucer's middle english is the easiest middle english you're ever going to read so if you're interested in chaucer you may as well take the plunge.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Heres my recent haul
Posts picture of a library card

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Heres my recent haul
Posts picture of a library card

Thank you.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
rip

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

E: wrong thread

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How is Wieland? It sounds interesting but I'm not familiar with Brockden Brown, and I don't always get along well with late 18th century lit for some reason

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
man booker longlist is out

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Just a quick question for War and Peace readers: I've got two translations, one by Pevear and Volokhonsky and another by the Maudes, both of which comes with a helpful "Principal Characters" page. However, there's a discrepancy:

So is Anatole the elder or the younger son? I went to Wikipedia and got spoiled on something else, so I'm not doing that again. I already got spoiled from looking up which translations to choose.

Also this is vastly easier to read than I thought. Maybe WoP is just long?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Anatole is younger. Chuck the P&V and read the Ann Dunnigan translation.

And yeah, it is just long.

Edit: Weird, that one has the same baffling mistake on the characters page. He's mentioned as the younger son in the very first chapter.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 14, 2019

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Genuine question, since a lot of people in my google searches seem to adore Pevear: why Dunnigan?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

toanoradian posted:

Genuine question, since a lot of people in my google searches seem to adore Pevear: why Dunnigan?

P&V are a translating team where neither of them speaks both languages IIRC. Their poo poo is clunky and weird and I haven't seen anybody recommend them beyond "look this is a brand new translation!"

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
P&V were widely acclaimed for a while. Whether that was just a weird literary hype train, perhaps, but there's a reason they translated like a hundred books for all the major English publishing houses. Personally I've never had any real problems with their style, but I believe Russian speakers when they diss them

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mdemone posted:

P&V are a translating team where neither of them speaks both languages IIRC.

I think this is a bit overstated because at least one of them(possibly both?) has done translations solo. They certainly both speak at least conversational English and Russian.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

toanoradian posted:

Pevear and Volokhonsky just suck. They're clunky and sterile at best, and they make blatant mistranslations at worst. People tend to think they're good because of hype and an assumption that the stilted language is more "Russian" like the original text, which isn't true and wouldn't be a good thing even if it were.

Why Dunnigan specifically? I went through a bunch of major translations (Maudes, revised Garnett, Dunnigan, Briggs, Pevear/Volokhonsky) and compared them at various points to the Russian text. Dunnigan's translation was the one that most closely approximated Tolstoy's sentence structure, without being awkward about it. But I don't think I used that revised version of the Maudes' translation, which looks really good and might end up edging out the Dunnigan for me when I have the wherewithal to give it a good look. Its full preservation of the French dialogue with footnote translations is ideal, and that was something that only the Pevear/Volokhonsky version did out of the translations that I originally examined, the one strong point in its favor. (The Dunnigan version has the most French intact of the ones that don't keep it in full.)

Incidentally, it turned out that someone else had done the same thing and come to the same conclusion:

quote:

I started with the Inner Sanctum edition by the Maudes, based on comparisons between the first chapters of the Maudes, Garnett, Edmonds, and P&V while sitting in the bookstore. Their word choice and phrasing were often the most musical and inventive. However, it started to feel somewhat archaic and the dialogue especially wooden. More evaluation led me to Anthony Brigg's translation, which flowed much better than the Maudes', but then started to feel too flowy, too modern (the article from Tolstoy Therapy listed above favors Briggs, but the same qualities she enjoys are what soured Briggs for me). Next I came across Ann Dunnigan's translation, which maintains excellent fidelity to the text (closely following the other translations) while also being creative, sensitive, and artful. Dunnigan resolved tricky issues that mar other translations by seeming to find the just-right words. Her translation is by far the most sensitive to the characters and narrator, a quality of Tolstoy's writing that drew me in when reading Anna Karenina.

I should probably mention the Briggs translation myself while I'm at it. It's very well-written, but it's also very liberal, much more Briggs than Tolstoy. I would recommend it to either someone who tried to read a more direct translation and bounced off it or someone who's already a War and Peace fan and wants a fresh view of the book.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

A human heart posted:

I think this is a bit overstated because at least one of them(possibly both?) has done translations solo. They certainly both speak at least conversational English and Russian.

Yeah that's obviously true, I was being overly dismissive. But they do suck.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Well, I am just 19 chapters in, so I guess switching to a different translation wouldn't matter much? I chose to read Pevear over Briggs because I heard Briggs 'british-ize' his translations too much. I'll try Dunnigan.

I kinda dislike actual French texts with translations in footnotes because I don't like going back and forth (ebook), but I've already ruined it by the numerous times I've reverted back to the Principal Characters page, so no harm done. Volokhonsky opening the story with a whole paragraph in French is an annoying move though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Thinking the next thing I read might be something from the longlist...anyone have any takes on anything on the list?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Srice posted:

Thinking the next thing I read might be something from the longlist...anyone have any takes on anything on the list?

I’ll probably pick up the Vasquez book since I liked two of his previous novels and historical fiction about nineties Colombia sounds like it could be interesting

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
from what I've heard, Wieringa's newest is quite good. plus Sam Garrett is a great translator

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I'm going to read the Schweblin because that's the one available at my library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Srice posted:

i can't vouch for the translation but the faculty of dreams is very good and is generally considered one of the best modern swedish novels.