Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

kcroy posted:

Better question - what happened to Ghost.

He just hangs out and hunts or whatever so that he's available when he's needed for plot drama, like most animal companions in genre fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

He just hangs out and hunts or whatever so that he's available when he's needed for plot drama, like most animal companions in genre fiction.

Sounds like a cat

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If GRRM wanted to stick it to the show he'd have Ghost, Summer, Nymeria, and Shaggydog playing major, MAJOR roles in the next books.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I still think Nymeria was always supposed to. The show could pull off her wolf army even w/o Arya being a warg prob but I doubt they will

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

esperterra posted:

I still think Nymeria was always supposed to. The show could pull off her wolf army even w/o Arya being a warg prob but I doubt they will

Oh they're probably supposed to show up to fight the White Walkers at the last battle. thus saving Arya at the last second or something lame.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

People are unusually belligerent in Westeros. It's like two groups of people can't pass one another on a forest path without thinking "I bet I could take them. They might have something valuable" And regardless of who wins or loses there's deaths on both sides.

Many of these people are veteran fighters so you have to assume they did this like 40 or 50 times at least. They must have lost at least a hundred mates or so just doing random road fights.

Davos Seaworth could probably count on one hand the number of times two parties met in this franchise without the result being a fight. And in an age where a sword cut probably had a 30% gangrene rate, you would think that people would be more cautious.

Like those guys who attack The Hound at the inn because he says "gently caress the king" The Hound is probably one of the top 3 sword fighters in Westeor at this point. So you have to expect a minimum of 2-3 deaths on your own side and a few mutilations. So sit down and drink your ale and report that you saw him later on. But nooo they have to fight and die. It's like the spirit of GRRM just roams the kingdom and infuses people with unwise belligerence and optimism.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Katt posted:

People are unusually belligerent in Westeros. It's like two groups of people can't pass one another on a forest path without thinking "I bet I could take them. They might have something valuable" And regardless of who wins or loses there's deaths on both sides.

Many of these people are veteran fighters so you have to assume they did this like 40 or 50 times at least. They must have lost at least a hundred mates or so just doing random road fights.

Davos Seaworth could probably count on one hand the number of times two parties met in this franchise without the result being a fight. And in an age where a sword cut probably had a 30% gangrene rate, you would think that people would be more cautious.

I don't know where you're getting this.

Katt posted:

Like those guys who attack The Hound at the inn because he says "gently caress the king" The Hound is probably one of the top 3 sword fighters in Westeor at this point. So you have to expect a minimum of 2-3 deaths on your own side and a few mutilations. So sit down and drink your ale and report that you saw him later on. But nooo they have to fight and die. It's like the spirit of GRRM just roams the kingdom and infuses people with unwise belligerence and optimism.

In the books (I don't recall in the show) they're his brother's men under orders to bring him in.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Katt posted:

Depends, which hand? :buddy:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

Oh they're probably supposed to show up to fight the White Walkers at the last battle. thus saving Arya at the last second or something lame.

We'll know of there's a flashback during the intro to season one when she runs off. And I think Ghost is off fighting ice spiders and zombie ice giants, but we'll never see that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RCarr posted:

Depends, which hand? :buddy:

You can still count using 2/3 of a finger - Stannis just took his fingertips!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I know it's pointless to speculate but i can't help wondering how different the whole Sana sold to Ramsay by littlefinger plot and the Stannis plot line are going to play out in the books, which are never coming out. I don't think it's likely Sansa and Ramsay ever have a scene together in the books.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm assuming we just replace Ramsay with Littlefinger. Then she kills Littlefinger, takes over the Vale, and goes to save John from either Mance or Ramsay (most likely Battle of the Bastards was a real thing that was outlined).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

th3t00t posted:

I know it's pointless to speculate but i can't help wondering how different the whole Sana sold to Ramsay by littlefinger plot and the Stannis plot line are going to play out in the books, which are never coming out. I don't think it's likely Sansa and Ramsay ever have a scene together in the books.

I'd imagine Ramsay will be dead by the time Sansa ever finds her way North again, if she ever does. The Stannis plot I can see ending in a similar way, but us getting to the conclusion far differently. Like the burning of Shireen, for instance, I can't buy him being the one to make that call-- especially considering Shireen is at the wall and he's at Winterfell-- rather I could see crazy Selyse being the one to make it happen, or Melisandre just doing it on her own.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

esperterra posted:

I'd imagine Ramsay will be dead by the time Sansa ever finds her way North again, if she ever does. The Stannis plot I can see ending in a similar way, but us getting to the conclusion far differently. Like the burning of Shireen, for instance, I can't buy him being the one to make that call-- especially considering Shireen is at the wall and he's at Winterfell-- rather I could see crazy Selyse being the one to make it happen, or Melisandre just doing it on her own.

My guess would be that Selyse/Melisandre would burn Shireen in an attempt to bring back the 'Prince that was Promised' thinking it's Stannis but surprise surprise Jon wakes up instead

if the book was ever coming out, which it is not

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Typical Goon posted:

My guess would be that Selyse/Melisandre would burn Shireen in an attempt to bring back the 'Prince that was Promised' thinking it's Stannis but surprise surprise Jon wakes up instead

if the book was ever coming out, which it is not

poo poo Jon is still dead in the books, I totally forgot.

pseudanonymous posted:

nah this is way worse how they disappeared the direwolves.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A Typical Goon posted:

Hell I could see Melisandre burning Shireen precisely because she knows it'll bring Jon back.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Katt posted:

Whatever happened to Aryas warg powers?

She used them in the book to cheat on her assassins guild blind kung-fu test by warging into a cat on a ledge or something and watch herself.

What happened to her wolf?

Nymeria has assembled a large pack of wolves and they are the terror of the Riverlands, I believe. Arya occasionally has wolf dreams.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Mad Hamish posted:

Nymeria has assembled a large pack of wolves and they are the terror of the Riverlands, I believe. Arya occasionally has wolf dreams.

Doesn't she also warg a cat in Braavos when she's blinded by the faceless man?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arya dreaming about Nymeria pullin Cat out of the water is gr8

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

sat on my keys! posted:

Doesn't she also warg a cat in Braavos when she's blinded by the faceless man?

There's a popular theory that Arya will eventually be sent to murder Tommen because the Iron Bank wants their debts paid and that she'll accomplish this by warging into Rhaenys' old cat and clawing him to death.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Liked the part in the show where Arya is being chased by Terminator girl.

I guess the character that was the "old man" at the assassins guild in the book is split into Jaqen H'ghar and Terminator girl in the show right?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Katt posted:

I guess the character that was the "old man" at the assassins guild in the book is split into Jaqen H'ghar and Terminator girl in the show right?

lmao even maisie williams admits that chase scene is bad

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Katt posted:

If they're any good we'll never know who is who, though it does seem like the whole faceless man thing might still observe the conservation of mass. Or maybe not, Martin doesn't seem to give much of a gently caress about magic systems, which is probably a good thing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Katt posted:

Yeah, in the books Jaqen goes to Oldtown to intersect obliquely with Sam's plot in a thread that clearly goes nowhere. In the show he disappears after Harrenhal is finished and it's strongly implied that the Jaqen in Braavos might not even be the same one from Harrenhal, just a dude wearing his face.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lmfao I forgot none of Arya's training has even happened in the books

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Katt posted:

Wish I could agree. That felt so....lazy. When two face-dancing mystical assassins are chasing each other, I expected trickery. Little old ladies turning out to be your assassin. The doorhandle of your inn coated in poison. Finding traps in the hideout you thought no one knew about. Just having a fruit-cart-overturning chase and then a cheap gimmick (guess not everyone takes the blind-fighting extracurricular!) was....eh.

Especially since the show has managed many great scenes where the tension actually ramps up even for those who had already read the books. The Red Wedding. Tyrion's trial. The Red Viper vesus the Mountain. The battle on the Blackwater. Hardhome was a stellar example of creating thrills even when not supported by the book. Not sure if they are tired and bringing an undead bear is all they xan think of to spice things up, I'm tired, or if I'm the one tired. Likely both.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

pseudanonymous posted:

If they're any good we'll never know who is who, though it does seem like the whole faceless man thing might still observe the conservation of mass. Or maybe not, Martin doesn't seem to give much of a gently caress about magic systems, which is probably a good thing.

Don't worry once Sanderson takes over, there will pages of detail on how Alter Self ( Level 80 ) works.

Vichan posted:

There's a popular theory that Arya will eventually be sent to murder Tommen because the Iron Bank wants their debts paid and that she'll accomplish this by warging into Rhaenys' old cat and clawing him to death.

I thought they would have her slowly getting lost as an individual, becoming "no-one" and then sent to kill Sansa. This would force an internal break ( like waking the Idahos in Dune ). In similar vein as Hodor, we'd get "Who Are You" "Who Are Ya" "Arya".

Knife held over Sansa's throat.
"My name is Arya. I am a Stark."
Arya dissappears into the mist, leaving Sansa to poo poo her pants as Brienne kicks in the door.

Then she would go on some sort of half mad deranged killing spree with Nymeria in tow. Maybe even have some sort of full circle with Zombie Cat. This could provide us with some insight into

-If Cat is actually Night King magic, or Red God Magic
-How Arya's Valyrian Blood Magic ( shapeshifting, etc ) matches up against it. Are they allies? enemies? Is this a newgod/old god fight, or something different. The meta-magic story is really loving confusing, and I need GRRM to address it.

Meeting with Cat would be a good opportunity to either rein her in, or leave her crazier than before. We approach the endgame and get one of three Scenarios:

1) stereotypical ending: Jon and Arya hook up as allies. If she is still insane, Jon and Ghost would help rein her and Nymaria in and her plot armor leaves her and her wolf as scary rear end assassins. She ganks someone important.

2) GRRM centric ending: She'd self destruct mentally, clearly be hopeless, and be killed by some random poo poo, like Drogon just loving toasts her - because fantasy poo poo aside, a dragon stooping on you from half a mile up is gonna kill loving anything.

3) Best ending: start with Scenario #1, and we think we are in "happily ever after" land. Syrio steps out of some loving shadows, and slits her throat. While being sad and remorseful, but also lovingly giving her up to the red god. Or maybe we get a nice confrontation scene. I don't know.

I just looked and FoC came out in 2005 - so I've been noodling on this poo poo for almost 15 years. That's just weird. This series is weird.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmfao I forgot none of Arya's training has even happened in the books

She did a bunch in Dance with Dragons. She's like officially an apprentice now.

And don't forget this Mercy chapter from Winds. She's like 11 in this scene. Totally not creepy at all.

quote:

He grabbed her wrist. “I’ll do the teaching. Time for your first lesson.” He pulled her hard against him and kissed her on the lips, forcing his tongue into her mouth. It was all wet and slimy, like an eel. Mercy licked it with her own tongue, then broke away from him, breathless. “Not here. Someone might see. My room’s not far, but hurry. I have to be back before the second act, or I’ll miss my rape.”

kcroy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 15, 2019

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sephyr posted:

Wish I could agree. That felt so....lazy. When two face-dancing mystical assassins are chasing each other, I expected trickery. Little old ladies turning out to be your assassin. The doorhandle of your inn coated in poison. Finding traps in the hideout you thought no one knew about. Just having a fruit-cart-overturning chase and then a cheap gimmick (guess not everyone takes the blind-fighting extracurricular!) was....eh.

Especially since the show has managed many great scenes where the tension actually ramps up even for those who had already read the books. The Red Wedding. Tyrion's trial. The Red Viper vesus the Mountain. The battle on the Blackwater. Hardhome was a stellar example of creating thrills even when not supported by the book. Not sure if they are tired and bringing an undead bear is all they xan think of to spice things up, I'm tired, or if I'm the one tired. Likely both.

She initially got shanked because the waif was pretending to be and old woman on the bridge.

goons are bad at watching shows

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I still can't believe the actress for The Waif is, like, 35 years old.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

She initially got shanked because the waif was pretending to be and old woman on the bridge.

goons are bad at watching shows

Yup. And then she forgot she was smart and just charged through a crowd when she spotted her miraculously-healed quarry again, like a video game critter with bad pathing.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sephyr posted:

Yup. And then she forgot she was smart and just charged through a crowd when she spotted her miraculously-healed quarry again, like a video game critter with bad pathing.

I just re-watched that scene. ok first - waif is shittiest assassin ever. She announces her presence, instead of just one-shotting
Arya.

Next issue is there is zero chance of Arya living. She gets stabbed 3 times in the gut, then falls into the undoubtedly septic canal. And she is up and running the next morning or someshit?

And finally Jquar is just all "ok, well now that you ganked my apprentice, and proved you are "no one"... oh wait, I was wrong and now you are leaving to do the opposite of what we trained you to do? sure. sounds good. ". This only makes sense if Arya died, and it is the Waif.

Goddamn I forgot how angry the show makes me.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Time is meaningless in the show.

In season 6 Littlefinger travels like 62,000 miles in a week, a raven goes from Eastwatch to Dragonstone and Dany goes from Dragonstone to north of the wall all in under 2 or 3 days, etc.

Meanwhile Stannis gets hosed and buried in snow on the week long journey to Winterfell but there's no snow a few days later after Jon has traveled the whole north and retakes Winterfell and Jesus they have zero sense of time and scale.

Also Varys sails from Meereen to Dorne to Meereen to Dragonstone in, like, 4 days.

And the iron islands build a thousand ships in a week.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
don't forget the gendry running scene.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

don't forget the gendry running scene.

No! No I will not stand for this. Gendry is cool and good and I will not let his fleet footedness be held against him.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kcroy posted:

This only makes sense if Arya died, and it is the Waif.

If this happened in a book that’d be a good theory tbh.

I suspect all subtlety is gone in the show by now though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Time is meaningless in the show.

In season 6 Littlefinger travels like 62,000 miles in a week, a raven goes from Eastwatch to Dragonstone and Dany goes from Dragonstone to north of the wall all in under 2 or 3 days, etc.

Meanwhile Stannis gets hosed and buried in snow on the week long journey to Winterfell but there's no snow a few days later after Jon has traveled the whole north and retakes Winterfell and Jesus they have zero sense of time and scale.

Also Varys sails from Meereen to Dorne to Meereen to Dragonstone in, like, 4 days.

And the iron islands build a thousand ships in a week.

GRRM doesn’t understand scale either. How tall is the wall again?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

hobbesmaster posted:

600 feet.

But when someone put that on scale for him, like from the top of a 60 storey building people look like tiny dots and there's no way an arrow could fly that high, he admitted he was dumb and wrong and it sounded fantastical when he wrote it.

D&D give even less of a poo poo than the absolute fucker.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

600 feet.

But when someone put that on scale for him, like from the top of a 60 storey building people look like tiny dots and there's no way an arrow could fly that high, he admitted he was dumb and wrong and it sounded fantastical when he wrote it.

D&D give even less of a poo poo than the absolute fucker.

It's actually 700 feet.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

he also does not understand weather, geography, agriculture, speech...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TommyGun85 posted:

he also does not understand weather, geography, agriculture, speech...

...consent, nutrition, deadlines...