Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I saw a Fit EV the other day, didn't even know that was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there any recommended reading for beginner tuning? I’m getting on to the end of my warranty and figured it might be fun to toss in a Stage 1 tune on the GTI. I think that’s a thing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Goapr.com

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

I think my wife's averaging around 38mpg in hers. I haven't looked at it lately. Not terrible but it's nowhere near the mileage more serious hybrids can get.

If you're just looking to max out your MPGs then what about a used Prius?

I want a ‘fun’ car now that I don’t need a functional car anymore. My daydream is of course to restore an old Porsche in my garage. Probably never going to happen though.

My Fit gets around 42 mpg on the highway though so maybe not such a hot trade after all!!! I guess I should stick with my plan to put in new shocks/struts and lowering springs.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

The only reason I settled on a fiesta instead of a focus was the side skirts making the ride height look lower than it really is, the wife didn't like the idea of such a low car since once every five years ive got to drive her through 6" of snow to get to work.

The knee airbags are such a good idea, I was honestly upset that the fiesta doesn't have them. How did they hold up for you? Any damage besides a bit of tenderness in the knee/Leg after the fact? I'm really glad you two are OK, though. poo poo is loving scary.
US Fiestas have knee airbags on the driver's side. If yours doesn't, I'd be concerned.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Just got my Sachs 4 puck clutch installed and some BFI motor/tranny mounts. Now, it's time for a protune!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Goin full race car there :salute:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

pr0craztinazn posted:

US Fiestas have knee airbags on the driver's side. If yours doesn't, I'd be concerned.

Well how about that. It's not on any of the documentation I have, and the stamp in the plastic saying it isn't in the same place. Instead of being printed almost on the door, it's on the very far back edge under the wheel. Had to climb in upside down to find it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So pretty!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Have you driven a unsprung puck clutch before? :v:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BlackMK4 posted:

You know, my installer asked me the same exact question last night when he was done and I was prepared for the absolute worst including it acting like an on/off and needing 5000lbs of clutch pedal pressure. But it was pretty comfortable, it was only maybe 20% stiffer and the engagement was pretty smooth. It definitely has a different engagement point that I'll have to get used to, but have absolutely no regrets. Even my installer was really surprised at how smooth it was.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BlackMK4 posted:

I learned my lesson (the hard way :v:) with a 6 puck sprung and a lightweight flywheel.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
I'm just 100mi into a BFI stage 4 (6 puck sprung) clutch and lightweight flywheel and i don't seem to mind it. The engagement is strong and heavier but I do like how immediate it feels. It also has a pretty low engagement point which I also like. To each their own I guess but I know my wife is going to hate it. Eh ready for the hybrid turbo now though.

p.s. There is clutch chatter but not what I expected from some of the reviews I read. I could see how it might not be enjoyed by everyone.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mrtrunks84 posted:

I'm just 100mi into a BFI stage 4 (6 puck sprung) clutch and lightweight flywheel and i don't seem to mind it. The engagement is strong and heavier but I do like how immediate it feels. It also has a pretty low engagement point which I also like. To each their own I guess but I know my wife is going to hate it. Eh ready for the hybrid turbo now though.

p.s. There is clutch chatter but not what I expected from some of the reviews I read. I could see how it might not be enjoyed by everyone.

The chatter was so loud on decels on my DSM it sounded like the transmission was going to grenade. Engagement was on/off, but that might be more harsh on an AWD car too? It was an aluminum flywheel that was like 8-11lbs too, so it was a bad combination of parts. Glad yours is working for you.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
This should help

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've got something like that coming from jamal soon too. Mmmmm.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

I've got something like that coming from jamal soon too. Mmmmm.

:hellyeah:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
So I might be heading back to New England (NH/VT’ish) and I’m considering dropping the FIST to something that will fit the area. Before I get a 5.0 F150 (wife doesn’t think a Mustang GT is reasonable) what can y’all tell me about the WRX? I know we’re skipping out of hatch territory but I still want some heat in my daily.

Edit: I know i could put snows on the Fiesta but I want to go faster so, yeah.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Golf R over WRX if all you’re looking for is AWD.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Quite A Tool posted:

So I might be heading back to New England (NH/VT’ish) and I’m considering dropping the FIST to something that will fit the area. Before I get a 5.0 F150 (wife doesn’t think a Mustang GT is reasonable) what can y’all tell me about the WRX? I know we’re skipping out of hatch territory but I still want some heat in my daily.

Edit: I know i could put snows on the Fiesta but I want to go faster so, yeah.

Get the F150. States have stopped fixing pot holes.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I have an FA WRX and while it's a fantastic daily, I kind of wish I had gotten something a bit more fun. It's great for what it is, but I got bored of it within 3 months in stock form. There's a reason why every Subrau is modded, they're kind of garbage from the factory.

Get a Type R or Focus RS instead, IMO - that is unless you're willing to deal with preventative mods for a DI motor and at the very least get a pro-tune.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Can confirm, DC beltway pothole ate my passenger front tire today; I just put the summer wheels back on three days ago.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

dk2m posted:

I have an FA WRX and while it's a fantastic daily, I kind of wish I had gotten something a bit more fun. It's great for what it is, but I got bored of it within 3 months in stock form. There's a reason why every Subrau is modded, they're kind of garbage from the factory.

Get a Type R or Focus RS instead, IMO - that is unless you're willing to deal with preventative mods for a DI motor and at the very least get a pro-tune.

RS will break your spine on NE potholes.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Elephanthead posted:

Pro-tip: your can put tires with additional sidewall on most cars, even performance variants, and have a far lower chance of wheel/suspension damage from potholes. You'll have a bit worse steering response, but still way better than any pickup or SUV. Yes, pickups usually have simpler suspension with more travel, but they're also carrying way more weight around all the time, so the suspension is taking a bigger hit with each bump.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

For f150 money you could buy a car that isn't a piece of poo poo and put not poo poo tires on it

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Honestly if I was buying a F150 I’d consider one of the EcoBoost models over the 5.0, unless you are going to supercharge it. I have a 2017 Focus RS and my dad just got a 2017 F150 FX4 with the 2.7 EcoBoost and it’s quicker than it has any right to be. There are guys running the 2.7 with bolt ons and e30 tunes that are putting down crazy power, like 380 hp and 450 lb/ft of torque. The 2018 and on have the option of the new 10 speed auto which can also be tuned. It’s basically a modern Lightning.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Counterpoint: SVT Raptor :getin:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Any of you all mess with spray on hybrid ceramic wax? I grabbed a bottle and I'm thinking about doing the whole clay bar thing and using this afterward this weekend. I've read that it's a good idea to remove existing wax first, so I guess I'll need to go do that as well.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
More 2018 Golf R's are starting to hit the used lots, is there any real reason to consider them over the 2017's outside of the fancy dash and facelift? The price difference is obviously not small.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Get the 3.5 F150. They are pretty quick and respond well to tuning. Then get a fun car.

At least, that's the route I went after driving hot hatches for years.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

joe944 posted:

Get the 3.5 F150. They are pretty quick and respond well to tuning. Then get a fun car.

I have a fun car. I don't need or want a massive loving truck. I want another hot hatch daily, preferably with AWD for going into the mountains in the winter. An F150 is not that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

joe944 posted:

Strangest suggestion in the hot hatch thread I've seen. :thunk:

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

They look pretty hot to me? :confused: :confused: :confused:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I like how American trucks look like the average American. Fat.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
The 2.7 ranger has some pep and is altogether too smooth for what it is. I'd heartily recommend one, having researched for thirty seconds and given one the beans during a test drive.

It's also not too terribly big, I could easily whip it into a spot coming directly from my fiesta.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Suburban Dad posted:

I was always anti-truck too. After getting one myself, though, I can appreciate the appeal.

That was targeted at Quite a Tool, by the way, who had already mentioned looking at F150's.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

joe944 posted:

I was always anti-truck too. After getting one myself, though, I can appreciate the appeal.

That was targeted at Quite a Tool, by the way, who had already mentioned looking at F150's.

Ah ok, didn't see that. I had a silverado and now have a GTI. :v:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Bank posted:

They look pretty hot to me? :confused: :confused: :confused:

The terrible car stuff thread is that-a-way

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fknlo posted:

I have a fun car. I don't need or want a massive loving truck. I want another hot hatch daily, preferably with AWD for going into the mountains in the winter. An F150 is not that.

The Golf R will do this for you and you won't regret it. I still love mine to an unseemly degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you want AWD in your hot hatch, your options are pretty much Focus RS, Golf R and WRX/STI.