Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

BonoMan posted:

About to pull the trigger on the TCL 55" r617.

I reallly want the 65" but with Rakuten credit I can get the 55" for $76 shipped and with a second kid on the way I don't think I can really bite the bullet on spending $500. (price minus Rakuten credit).

Any reason to holdoff? Anything new coming down the pike?

As someone that has the 6 Series and an OLED, I think it's a great product for the price. No regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I have a LG C8. I love it dearly. But there's one thing I hate about it and I don't know if there's a way to turn it off.

Most of my components are connected to the TV through my receiver. But my AppleTV is connected directly because my receiver isn't a 4k receiver and I'm too cheap/lazy/poor to upgrade it. So the ATV is connected directly to the TV, and the TV outputs audio over optical to the receiver. And it all works fine.

EXCEPT, when I turn on my system with the Harmony, the TV detects the receiver as being "on" before it detects the ATV. And the TV then automatically changes the input to HDMI-2 (the receiver). Is there any way to turn this behavior off? I've heard people suggest it's some kind of CEC thing, but I have that turned off as I don't use it anyway.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I remember a setting like that on my B7, I think it was called SIMPLINK or something. Fart around in the TV settings, you can turn off auto-input swapping.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Simplink is just a brand name for CEC. And make sure it's turned off on every device, because that does sound like CEC behavior.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CEC and Harmony are allergic to each other.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Astro7x posted:

As someone that has the 6 Series and an OLED, I think it's a great product for the price. No regrets.

Went ahead and pulled the trigger. Can't beat the price of basically free.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I have a TCL 6 series. If you have a Steam Link hardware device, would you say that’s a computer or a game console from the TV’s perspective? I’ve heard the TCL can have some issues with computer hookups. Guess I’m just looking for what to expect.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Def more of a media device. I think they’re stopping making them. My tv has a steam link app now so I’m not even using mine.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Astro7x posted:

On the TCL 6 Series with the IR Remote... is it possible to upgrade to a RF Remote?

My sound bar blocking the IR receiver is driving me crazy.

On cheaper older models I’ve seen reports of being able to buy an RF Remote and it works.

I realized when I was buying mine that I would have the same problem so I bought this and it’s loving great (and gives the tv swivel capabilities)
FITUEYES Universal TV Stand/Base Swivel Tabletop TV Stand with Mount for 32 to 65 inch Flat Screen Tvs/Xbox One/tv Component/Vizio Tv TT107002GB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018I1XTFU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_V3SICbJMQZ2N7

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I picked up the harmony companion universal remote thing. This thing is magic. I don't know how the hub is able to hit all my ir devices will being inside a cubby underneath my TV, when I couldn't even hit the TV with the OEM remote pointing right at it because of the sound bar. Pretty sweet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I don't know how the hub is able to hit all my ir devices will being inside a cubby underneath my TV, when I couldn't even hit the TV with the OEM remote pointing right at it because of the sound bar. Pretty sweet.

Look at it through your phone's camera while pressing a button, then you will know.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I realized when I was buying mine that I would have the same problem so I bought this and it’s loving great (and gives the tv swivel capabilities)
FITUEYES Universal TV Stand/Base Swivel Tabletop TV Stand with Mount for 32 to 65 inch Flat Screen Tvs/Xbox One/tv Component/Vizio Tv TT107002GB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018I1XTFU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_V3SICbJMQZ2N7

Seems weird that a $47 stand is the solution to a $30 remote. Does that need to be secured to the TV stand, or is the base severely weighted?

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
Anything I should consider when buying a not top of the line 40~ inch TV for my kitchen / eat-in kitchen area. I'd like to mount it on a wall and it would primarily stream Netflix etc. and local TV via antenna

Things i'm considering as issues:

Viewing TV from an angle
Sunlight (there will be curtains too)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Astro7x posted:

Seems weird that a $47 stand is the solution to a $30 remote. Does that need to be secured to the TV stand, or is the base severely weighted?

You use it like a VESA stand and discard the TVs own feet. I also like how it lifts the TV up by around 10” which is good for my space. Just a suggestion.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

703 posted:

Anything I should consider when buying a not top of the line 40~ inch TV for my kitchen / eat-in kitchen area. I'd like to mount it on a wall and it would primarily stream Netflix etc. and local TV via antenna

Things i'm considering as issues:

Viewing TV from an angle
Sunlight (there will be curtains too)

Possibly consider LGs cheaper range because they use IPS panels which trade increased viewing angles for poorer colours and blacks in general, vs most other manufacturers who use VA panels. That being said, I find the negative effect of viewing from an angle is usually way overstated by reviews and much less noticeable irl unless you're really off to one side. If I was you I'd buy a swivel mount and whatever cheap decent model is available where you are, maybe TCL or Vizio, and then you can orient the screen towards you depending on if you're cooking or eating or whatever

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

Butterfly Valley posted:

Possibly consider LGs cheaper range because they use IPS panels which trade increased viewing angles for poorer colours and blacks in general, vs most other manufacturers who use VA panels. That being said, I find the negative effect of viewing from an angle is usually way overstated by reviews and much less noticeable irl unless you're really off to one side. If I was you I'd buy a swivel mount and whatever cheap decent model is available where you are, maybe TCL or Vizio, and then you can orient the screen towards you depending on if you're cooking or eating or whatever

Thanks for the info, that's what i'm looking for.

edit $200 bucks, what a world

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-40-class-led-3-series-1080p-smart-hdtv-roku-tv/6302321.p?skuId=6302321

703 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 15, 2019

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55R617 $490 with free shipping

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

That's who I ordered from the other day on Rakuten - but it was $90 off instead of $80. Shipped today and luckily is just a few hours away so it'll be here tomorrow. Soooo excited.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Probably can’t get a brick-and-mortar place to price match that since the list price is still $570, right? Especially not Best Buy since they carry the R615 instead. I’ve been waiting for that good of a price but I’d rather get it local in case I need to exchange it or something.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Dogen posted:

Def more of a media device. I think they’re stopping making them. My tv has a steam link app now so I’m not even using mine.
Interesting, okay. Asking because I read about some cross hatch pattern that happens and messes up colors when you hook a PC up to a TCL 6 series. I thought a link would count as a PC because it’s streaming PC data, basically, + refresh rates. Guess I’ll hook it up and see what happens.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It’s encoding/decoding PC data. I guess it’s like hooking up a game console? It maxes out at 1080p @ 60hz.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Makes sense. Thanks!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
There's some weirdness with shades of gray sometimes displaying as either green or purple. It doesn't happen often and doesn't bother me when it does, but your mileage may vary.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Odd question but what do you all think of having a new TV shipped to you vs just going and picking it up yourself? I've always been in the latter camp, I kinda feel weird at the idea of a big giant tv getting delivered to my front door. Would rather just grab a brother or friend with me, load it in my truck and bring it back. Plus that's an exciting feeling. I know not everyone has that option with a big enough vehicle available to throw one into.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

beep by grandpa posted:

Odd question but what do you all think of having a new TV shipped to you vs just going and picking it up yourself? I've always been in the latter camp, I kinda feel weird at the idea of a big giant tv getting delivered to my front door. Would rather just grab a brother or friend with me, load it in my truck and bring it back. Plus that's an exciting feeling. I know not everyone has that option with a big enough vehicle available to throw one into.

Seems to me that if I buy it from the store then it’s home in 10 minutes and I can set it up and get going. If I have a problem with it, I can take it back, speak to someone directly, and get a replacement then and there. Assuming you’ve got the vehicle space, which I do.

If I order it online, I wait who knows how long for it to arrive, with many more chances for it to get broken along the way. Hopefully they won’t leave a package that giant and expensive on my front porch, but then do I have to take time off work or something? If I need to exchange it, then I have to go through an online process, ship it back, and wait who knows how long again. Will I need to pay for more shipping? Will they contest the issue and make it harder to exchange? It depends on the place.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I would always buy it in store if I could. For all the reasons mentioned above. The only reason I buy online (like I just did) was because of having credit at a certain site.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

runchild posted:

Seems to me that if I buy it from the store then it’s home in 10 minutes and I can set it up and get going. If I have a problem with it, I can take it back, speak to someone directly, and get a replacement then and there. Assuming you’ve got the vehicle space, which I do.

If I order it online, I wait who knows how long for it to arrive, with many more chances for it to get broken along the way. Hopefully they won’t leave a package that giant and expensive on my front porch, but then do I have to take time off work or something? If I need to exchange it, then I have to go through an online process, ship it back, and wait who knows how long again. Will I need to pay for more shipping? Will they contest the issue and make it harder to exchange? It depends on the place.

Yeah you said it better than I ever could. Those were all the things that scare the poo poo out of me with ordering something to be shipped but I didn't want to preemptively shame anyone/put anyone on the defensive if I worded it poorly :v:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

runchild posted:

When I ordered my OLED through amazon, inwas able to pick my delivery date/time, which was the Friday after thanksgiving. They brought the TV into the room, took it out of the box, made sure it was working, had me sign off on it being okay. Then took the box away. They said that if I discover a problem to call a number and they would supply a box.

When I ordered my TCL through Best Buy, I was able to pick a weekend day and time window. They dropped the box off in my living room, didn’t open it or take the box away

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Out of the 3 TCLs I’ve had ordered and shipped, two arrived with a cracked screen.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Astro7x posted:

When I ordered my OLED through amazon, inwas able to pick my delivery date/time, which was the Friday after thanksgiving. They brought the TV into the room, took it out of the box, made sure it was working, had me sign off on it being okay. Then took the box away. They said that if I discover a problem to call a number and they would supply a box.

Yeah I had the same experience with amazon delivery on my previous tv. Easier than shoving our current tv into the back of our old Mazda 3 at Best Buy (but we got a good deal on it).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Another thing I just considered is I live a little less than an hour away from Delaware so if I can take a drive to a best buy down there and save like $150 if I get a C8 :10bux:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

65" LG C8 for $1,800 shipped

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

Already ended - too bad, getting ready to pull the trigger on this, newegg has a deal ending today for $1899

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Father Jack posted:

I'm looking at buying a Samsung UE50NU7020.

All I need it to do is essentially act as monitor for a Win 10 HTPC. If I could buy a dumb panel at the same kind of price I would, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Can I just ignore all the smart TV stuff and not be pestered by it? Is it likely to do anything sketchy like showing ads?

TomR posted:

I use a UN40MU6290 as a monitor with Windows 10 and it works fine. Sometimes if I use the Netflix app on the TV and go back to the monitor input it looks filtered but that goes away if I turn it off and on again. 99% of the time I use it as a monitor though and I just press the power button on the remote and the TV turns on and shows my desktop and a little bar across the bottom of the screen with icons for apps with the HDMI input already highlighted so I press enter. If I don't press enter it goes away after a couple seconds on it's own. It doesn't show ads or anything just using it as a monitor.

Father Jack posted:

ffs.

Don't they go in to a low power mode when they stop getting a signal, then wake when they do?

I ideally want to set it up once and then never touch the remote again.

TomR posted:

I'm not sure. I know if I turn my computer off a little screen saver with a no signal message comes up, but I leave my computer on all the time so I just turn the TV off.

I'm going to answer my own question here in case anyone else finds it useful.

I ended up buying a Samsung UE55NU7100. The panel is horribly glossy and reflective in a way that I just couldn't take from an actual desktop monitor or laptop, but that just seems to be how things are with TVs now. Every other one in the shop was just as bad.

It handles power saving in an annoying way. When windows signals it to blank the screen rather than immediately going in to a low power mode it instead displays a static full screen 'no input detected' splash for at least 10 minutes before turning off. To get it back on you have to press the button on the remote, then another to dismiss a dialogue telling you the input, resolution and frame rate in use rather than just wiggling the mouse. If there's a way to change this I haven't been able to find it.

It doesn't bug you to use the smart features and comes on immediately when the power button is pressed, so that aspect is fine.

I assume the answer is 'lol, no', but just in case, is there any way to make the screen less reflective that isn't going to look like an ebay smart phone screen protector?

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
lg c8 65" for $1,799

https://www.ebay.com/p/LG-OLED65C8PUA-65-2160p-4K-HDR-OLED-Internet-TV/7016892725?iid=253616294985&chn=ps

I guess ebay is an okay source for a purchase like this? I don't see anything about being able to add warranties

703 fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 20, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Got my TCL 6 series (r617) in yesterday. Despite FedEx's severe attempts to thwart the delivery and break the box.

I paid $5 for the scheduled delivery option. In the early evening since a signature is required and I'd be home from work. Well they attempted TWICE around noon and obviously I wasn't there. Then on the third time, still around 2 o'clock even though FedEx assured me it would be during the delivery window I paid for, they just dropped it in my completely open driveway and stood it up on it's end against a bush. And left it there. The box was pretty banged up but luckily it was packaged pretty solidly and within another, larger box so it seems to have survived just fine.

Coming from a 1080p plasma there was some stark differences. It's obviously larger and brighter, but the "not terrible but on so great" viewing angle thing threw me for a loop but I got used to it pretty quick. The color vibrance is nice and the dark blacks were actually really drat good for a LCD. That was the biggest thing I noticed so far.

I haven't really tweaked the settings yet, but I hate how a lot of preset modes have the smooth motion turned on. I want to turn it off once and that be it. But nooooo every time I switch to "normal/vibrant/movie" it turns it back on.

The manual is skimpy but I guess that's to be expected in the online age.

I've watched some HDR content, but so far... haven't been blown away? I was using the Dolby Vision app so I expect it's pretty high quality stuff. I mean it looked good but it wasn't eyeball searing like people say and I didn't have an immediate reaction that it wasn't wildly different than quality non HDR content.

That's probably just because it's a TCL 6 series and not a high end set like an OLED. So it's HDR ability are probably not the best.

There's some vignetting in the corners which is annoying but I'm suspecting I'll stop noticing after a while. There's also, what I can only describe as a "rounded corner mask" around the whole thing. It's faint and you basically can't notice it when watching stuff... but if you get up close to the TV you'll notice that outside the mask is slightly darker.

Here's a slightly exaggerated mockup to see what I'm talking about

Overall notes:

If you can ever help it, don't get a TV shipped. That was just stupid.

Get the 65". If you can afford it you won't regret it. The 55" is nice but I suspect the effects of 4K and HDR will a good bit better on 65 and up. I immediately regret not getting the 65 (I couldn't afford it anyway... but I still regretted it).

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Download the Roku app on your phone and use the advanced menu to tweak the picture settings. I used the rtings settings as my baseline and have my tv on the darkest setting and it looks great. The Dolby Vision app kind of blows as far as demo content goes so I recommend to watch Netflix or Amazon HDR shows (the Grand Tour is good for testing) for better demos.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TheWevel posted:

Download the Roku app on your phone and use the advanced menu to tweak the picture settings. I used the rtings settings as my baseline and have my tv on the darkest setting and it looks great. The Dolby Vision app kind of blows as far as demo content goes so I recommend to watch Netflix or Amazon HDR shows (the Grand Tour is good for testing) for better demos.

Just want to say how frustrating it is trying to find HDR content on Amazon. Especially if you're used to Netflix and it just works. Every show has a separate HDR show page, and it doesn't always come up when you search for the show name.

I have better luck using InstantWatcher to search for what I want in HDR, use that to go to the Amazon page, add it to a list, then go into the Amazon App on the TV and play from my watch list.

I'd recommend checking out The Grand Tour Season 1 Ep 1 @ the 7 minute-ish mark there is a trailer for the upcoming season that is super cool to watch in HDR. Start it a bit early and give it time to buffer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MPWCB3F/ref=atv_feed_catalog&tag=iw_prime_tv-20&ref_=asc_homepage

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I would be burning up the FedEx complaint line. Also amazon usually uses Ceva which has been good in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dogen posted:

I would be burning up the FedEx complaint line. Also amazon usually uses Ceva which has been good in my experience.

I'm about to dont' worry!

And yeah Ceva delivered my plasma back in 2008 (the one I just replaced) and they were fine.

One thing I hate about the Roku remote is the inability to reprogram it to change the volume on my soundbar. Oh well. Probably going to go back to a Harmony remote.