Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
I havent let him deplete the first hunger bar, maybe that's it. Got both foul and dried meat in the backpacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sweet freedom at last. Only at like 30 dodge and 15 MA on my first character but he’s a sneaky thief god so I can just steal what I need. :v:

I also had five other slavesjoin me after my rebellion, half of which where Shek with 25 dex/strength and 25-30 weapon skills so that was a nice bonus. Now to beat more farmers dogs to death so I don’t starve!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Back to playing this, really feeling the itch to update the clown mod. Looks like the most requested features are some sort of Clown Town for more clowns to clown around with, and blueprints to craft the clown gear.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I have debated experimenting with an outpost in Holy Nation territory? is my understanding correct in their logic

Male Greenlanders = Cool and Good
Female Greenlanders + Scorchlanders = Tolerable and not good.
Shek & Hivers = Bad unless slaves and might try to take them to Rebirth on a whim?
Skeletons or People with Artificial Limbs and thus might be skellingtons = KoS

Alternatively is there a good city to setup shop in the UC somewhere, my guys are mid 30ish combat skills and looking to get into the non-combat stuff too.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 14, 2019

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Babe Magnet posted:

Back to playing this, really feeling the itch to update the clown mod. Looks like the most requested features are some sort of Clown Town for more clowns to clown around with, and blueprints to craft the clown gear.

That's your mod? Oh man, please do, and share info in thread about how to make mods. That is, if other people don't mind.

I havent encountered your mod yet in game but I'll make it a priority now

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Jack2142 posted:

I have debated experimenting with an outpost in Holy Nation territory? is my understanding correct in their logic

Shek & Hivers = Bad unless slaves and might try to take them to Rebirth on a whim?

Alternatively is there a good city to setup shop in the UC somewhere, my guys are mid 30ish combat skills and looking to get into the non-combat stuff too.

Heng + Trader Guild or Mourn (is mourn UC?)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that's me! Modding is kind of a pain in the rear end, as there's a surprising amount of limitations. Like, you can't just put a guy into the world, you gotta' make him spawn in certain circumstances in certain places. Ideally I would have Steady start off caged like the beast he is and you talk to someone else to let him out into your hands for free (or they even pay you a small amount to take him away) but I don't think there's a way to do that. He either starts as a slave, which means he would have a limited inventory, or starts as a bounty caged up, but unless his bounty is more than 10,000 cats he just goes free eventually.

I know mostly the basics but I can point you in the direction of the same guides I'm using:

Setting up a town + dialogue stuff
Blender stuff for adding new gear to the game
Kenshi Discord with a modding section to ask for advice and such

As for making it a priority to visit Steady, be warned that he sucks and is annoying and has bad stats and his gear is terrible, on purpose lol

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

Always have a token white man in your squad in Okran's country, they're pieces of poo poo and constantly smack talk your "beasts" and carry a space bible. Doesn't matter if they're grouped with you or not, if you have a hiver or shek following your team but not in your defined group they count them as on their own.

Sho-Battai is a cakewalk, skimmers are a cinch to run from or mob, they keep the bandits and slave hunters away 90% of the time too. They mostly come at night....mostly. Otherwise they're out there killing bandits before they get near you. It is surrounded by copper and iron nodes nodes with a big two man copper one that's babysat by the samauri nanny force, the other two copper within spitting distance. I find the pathing to the iron nodes a pain though, refreshing navemesh doesn't help. If you can do hydroponics you're set for life in there. It has 3 stores each selling 10-25 water per day each and two longhouses and a shack to buy up. Only two worries in sho-battai is having to manually trade water (you can get 100 copper a day with a big force so you'll be in stores cleaning them out daily but its a chore). The other is that UC has really dickish nobles who will just kill you for being near them or to show off their cool new crossbow to their bodyguards. You can pretty much set up a misfit workforce in one longhouse and have the other just copper storage and forget all about them. Or half and half, I have a lot of people there and all the hydroponics, gohan and sake for days. The guards seem really corrupt in sho-battai too, they love planting drugs on people so never fall below 2k cats. Everything is money and grovelling and hiding from little Joffrey motherfuckers in the UC.

If you want to feed pack animals on the cheap, Stoat has a nice tri-house and the town is constantly under attack from free meat by way of skimmers. You could just play town guard volunteers there and train up, you're in absolutely no danger, they come straight to the gate and get cut down about 3 times a day. This is pretty much all I'm planning to do but backwards. I made an immediate trek to the great desert capital early on and find the sands almost luxurious except for the lack of water.

e: also skimmers don't eat you or limbs, they're just giant douchebags with oddly no cleave damage despite their intimidating look.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Also if you don't mind being an rear end in a top hat you can wait until disgruntled farmers attack, patch them up, and sell them to a slave shop. I actually get annoyed in my UC starts when an actual slaver gets to an unconscious farmer before I do.

:asoiaf:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

:five:

The first dude doing the flying kick is just so :allears:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

wit posted:

Always have a token white man in your squad in Okran's country, they're pieces of poo poo and constantly smack talk your "beasts" and carry a space bible. Doesn't matter if they're grouped with you or not, if you have a hiver or shek following your team but not in your defined group they count them as on their own.

Sho-Battai is a cakewalk, skimmers are a cinch to run from or mob, they keep the bandits and slave hunters away 90% of the time too. They mostly come at night....mostly. Otherwise they're out there killing bandits before they get near you. It is surrounded by copper and iron nodes nodes with a big two man copper one that's babysat by the samauri nanny force, the other two copper within spitting distance. I find the pathing to the iron nodes a pain though, refreshing navemesh doesn't help. If you can do hydroponics you're set for life in there. It has 3 stores each selling 10-25 water per day each and two longhouses and a shack to buy up. Only two worries in sho-battai is having to manually trade water (you can get 100 copper a day with a big force so you'll be in stores cleaning them out daily but its a chore). The other is that UC has really dickish nobles who will just kill you for being near them or to show off their cool new crossbow to their bodyguards. You can pretty much set up a misfit workforce in one longhouse and have the other just copper storage and forget all about them. Or half and half, I have a lot of people there and all the hydroponics, gohan and sake for days. The guards seem really corrupt in sho-battai too, they love planting drugs on people so never fall below 2k cats. Everything is money and grovelling and hiding from little Joffrey motherfuckers in the UC.

If you want to feed pack animals on the cheap, Stoat has a nice tri-house and the town is constantly under attack from free meat by way of skimmers. You could just play town guard volunteers there and train up, you're in absolutely no danger, they come straight to the gate and get cut down about 3 times a day. This is pretty much all I'm planning to do but backwards. I made an immediate trek to the great desert capital early on and find the sands almost luxurious except for the lack of water.

e: also skimmers don't eat you or limbs, they're just giant douchebags with oddly no cleave damage despite their intimidating look.

Thanks when I get off work I think I will check out Sho-Battai, Stoat and Heng and see which one I like.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

:five:

The first dude doing the flying kick is just so :allears:

There is actually 2 sets of flying kicks heading into that cannibal :ssh:

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Kill Six Billion Demons mod when

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Is dual wielding any good in this this game? I don't see it brought up much.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vakal posted:

Is dual wielding any good in this this game? I don't see it brought up much.

You can't dual-wield, but having three different weapons (including your secondary slot) will have your character use the best weapon for the enemy at hand.

Or you could use the Slave Start to train up MA and forgo all that nonsense :smug:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

You can't dual-wield, but having three different weapons (including your secondary slot) will have your character use the best weapon for the enemy at hand.

Or you could use the Slave Start to train up MA and forgo all that nonsense :smug:

Oh, I've seen people with crossed swords on their backs and thought you could.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You can put two weapons in the upper weapon slot for some reason, but I have no idea what (if anything) that actually does.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cardiovorax posted:

You can put two weapons in the upper weapon slot for some reason, but I have no idea what (if anything) that actually does.

Put a polearm and a katana-type weapon up there; your dude generally will take out the polearm for armoured enemies and the katana for unarmoured dudes, unless one weapon is so drat superior it'd do more damage in either case.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I lost my beloved goat of strength when paladins attacked me, a beak-thing ran over and ate the dead goat when I got knocked down

I recovered and vanquished the remaining paladins and the beak thing, and so now I carry a dead paladin to get my strength up!

you dare attack a god among robots!?

you wanted food, but ate well of death!

gently caress you, dust bandits, your weapons cannot harm me!

now i stride purposefully into the promised land, the dead homelands of my robot brothers, truly immortal, the undefeated warrior on the land. nothing can harm me now!

or uh, maybe not

wit
Jul 26, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I lost my beloved goat of strength when paladins attacked me, a beak-thing ran over and ate the dead goat when I got knocked down

I recovered and vanquished the remaining paladins and the beak thing, and so now I carry a dead paladin to get my strength up!

you dare attack a god among robots!?

you wanted food, but ate well of death!

now i stride purposefully into the promised land, the dead homelands of my robot brothers, truly immortal, the undefeated warrior on the land. nothing can harm me now!

or uh, maybe not

Some day there will be a mod to add this when, after a loving hard battle, the coast is clear and you do walking instead of running from it. Modding into the code seems difficult but I think you deserve it in the mean time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IHLoKZcwC0

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
At least your goat was fresh and not 'used', I don't want to know what goes on in those small hidden away Nomad villages.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Group photo, everyone! The first attempt at taking this was spoiled by some hungry bandits, you can kinda see them back between Panlo and Samz. Shortly after this photo was taken, they packed up a bunch of supplies and headed off to find some ancient ruins in the hopes of maybe being able to forge something better than leather armor in future. There is absolutely nothing else noteworthy about this team.

And here are a couple shots from other runs that amused me.

Outlaw Farmers have taken up planking as a means of nonviolent protest.

Being against licentiousness in all its forms, the Holy Nation frowns on table dancing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

This is the most Kenshi picture I've ever seen. Fully maximized weeabo, funny Kenshi training things, and weird skeleton surrounded by corpses all in one. Should be the first store page picture.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Inspired by the thread's stories of slaves becoming badasses I figured I should try out the special involuntary training program. So I send my dedicated stealth ninja/explorer out to crime it up and get started. Things... did not go as well as anticipated. I may have commited some war crimes, or at least as close as you can get in the game.

After some failed attempts to get enslaved, but only becoming a regular captive, I ended up just properly pissing off the Holy Nation while getting my assassination up to a decent level where I could reliably knock out paladins and such. So when I found a mine with like three paladins I decided to free the captives and put the slavers into their cages instead. It worked surprisingly well and I was happy at first knowing I just saved some poor shmucks while giving ironic punishment to their captors. Then things went in a less heroic direction when I realised the Fog Islands were right next to the mine.

So out of curiosity I picked up one of the paladins, hauled him into the fog and when I found a group of fogmen I dumped his rear end right in front of them and ran the gently caress away. Went back to the mine to grab the next one and once I was in the fog I followed the screaming, figuring it would lead me somewhere interesting. Gonna admit, it's pretty disturbing seeing a fog prince eating a guy as he is screaming while the other fog men seem to worship him in a circle. Didn't stop me from finding one of the other prisoner poles though and just putting their next meal up for them.

And that's how a Holy Mine ended up feeding the close-by fogmen group. Now to figure out where I can find some higher ranking Holy Nations guys. I did manage to knock out an inquisitor in his sleep and drop him off at a pole but I wanna find something like a named guy to offer up as food.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

man building a base in this is like a totally different game from running around adventuring, im still figuring out how to get guys to do jobs properly and set up my economy and whatnot

it doesnt help that i set up in the holy empires farmlands, and being a skeleton they hate the poo poo out of me. until we got the wall put up things were rough. it was an especially bad idea to decide to not bring a huge amount of b uilding supplies and instead just enough for a stone and iron mining / processing op to build everything else. that got dicey, and a lot of paladins got diced up.

right now our food situation is pretty bad, i have a big wheat field but turning it into food seems to be crazy inefficient, and all the nearby river raptors just drop spoiled meat. everyone is just barely clinging to nutrition, and i can't expand till we get better food supplies.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

man building a base in this is like a totally different game from running around adventuring, im still figuring out how to get guys to do jobs properly and set up my economy and whatnot

it doesnt help that i set up in the holy empires farmlands, and being a skeleton they hate the poo poo out of me. until we got the wall put up things were rough. it was an especially bad idea to decide to not bring a huge amount of b uilding supplies and instead just enough for a stone and iron mining / processing op to build everything else. that got dicey, and a lot of paladins got diced up.

right now our food situation is pretty bad, i have a big wheat field but turning it into food seems to be crazy inefficient, and all the nearby river raptors just drop spoiled meat. everyone is just barely clinging to nutrition, and i can't expand till we get better food supplies.

Not sure what would grow best there but if the wheat farm is not working out you might wanna see if you can research something else to farm there. If you can, send someone out of the base to check any towns for food as well. Also, is your wheat farm the biggest size it can be? Bigger version will have more crops grow at once which can help, but it can take a bit to get enough ressources together to do the upgrade. Again, having someone who can buy more wheat to put into the upgrade could help a bunch.

Getting the food production to something sustainable can take some effort, especially if there are no good sources of meat nearby.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Huge milestone achieved last night. I was re-beating some beaten unarmed band of bones guys when one of them starting running like a madman back to their camp. I juust got to him before he reached safety, but one of the bones in the camp got alerted and came to his aid. And I won! First healthy person downed on my own! Bonedog is still a pup, but definitely up for a fight now.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The bread chain is very much the least efficient foodstuff, yeah. You'll want to be growing greenfruit, rice, or cactus for your basic food (The farmlands being naturally green, you'll want vegetables). You also want at least two cooking stoves running, one with a repeating queue of nothing but cooked vegetables, chewsticks, or rice bowl (whichever you have), the other with an advanced food: Gohan, dustwiches, foodcubes, or meatwraps. This avoids wasting any ingredients that might be left in the input slots when your cook starts the next job. Make sure the advanced food is set higher in your cook's job list, because it operates on a priority system. You can drag and drop entries around on the job list, so you don't have to make my rookie mistake and completely clear out someone's list to add something to the top.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 15, 2019

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
Think I might buy this game. Steam friend has been posting some good poo poo.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Greader posted:

And that's how a Holy Mine ended up feeding the close-by fogmen group. Now to figure out where I can find some higher ranking Holy Nations guys. I did manage to knock out an inquisitor in his sleep and drop him off at a pole but I wanna find something like a named guy to offer up as food.

No, don't! Give the named Inquisitors and the Lord Phoenix to the Flotsam Ninjas and/or the Shek for tons of Cats and to make friends with them!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I gotta ask, how exactly do people go around using the slave start as a boot camp for training hella buff martial arts badasses?
I ask because even though I'm capable of escaping Rebirth, so far I've found that prolonging my stay to build up my skills actually makes my character grow weaker in the long run. They might gain a couple of levels in toughness and athletics, but it's usually offset by the penalty they get from the growing hunger and all the beatings they take up, mostly because even though guards should heal any recaptured slaves, they're often neglectful or easily distracted, which means you'll often end up caged with serious damage, your wounds getting worse, and no way to get healed other than getting captured again and hoping that THIS time they won't forget about healing you. But since your limbs will be so beaten and bruised due to poor healing, you'll be at much higher risk of getting an arm or a leg chopped off in your next scuffle.
Also, my guys can hardly find time to land a single punch when "fighting" guards, which means that martial arts progress in particular grows at a snail pace, if at all. I can only hope to gain some crumbs of martial arts exp when 1v1ing, which can only happen when there's other escapees to distract enough guards, which would require a mass escape which is practically impossible to stage, since usually I can get one fellow slave to stay put and follow my lead, and all the others either run off on their own (getting quickly recaptured and sending the guards down on us while they're at it) or breaking down sobbing and saying they're not going anywhere :smith:

So, what am I doing wrong? Should I just wait way, way longer between escape attempts so my wounds have healed enough to have a more productive training session?

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 15, 2019

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Train thievery first— it lets you steal the hackers off the guards and their MA is pretty pitiful compared to their melee attack. Easiest way to do it is grabbing loose poo poo off the floor and dropping it in your cage then picking it up again, the guards don’t care about that stack of bowls and Holy Flames the slave is juggling. :v: After that its a matter of punching guards to get MA and dodge up, and letting them beat you up to get toughness up.

If you have time to kill doing other things, you can also leave the game running while your Obedient Slave job runs to train strength. The shackles are pretty heavy and if you put them in your inventory after picking then the guards will keep putting more on your legs— thats how I turned my main character swole.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The other way to train martial arts is to level first assasination by knocking out the prisoners in the poles at night. When you can ko the guards reliably, is just a matter of picking them up, carry them to a safe spot and steal their weapons and fight with them all night. Bonus points if you stage a couple failed mass escapes so you can recruit a lot of dudes and organize fight club to train a lot of them at the same time.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Bussamove posted:

If you have time to kill doing other things, you can also leave the game running while your Obedient Slave job runs to train strength. The shackles are pretty heavy and if you put them in your inventory after picking then the guards will keep putting more on your legs— thats how I turned my main character swole.

I've been trying to do this, but I'm not seeing much progress - it might be because currently I have one character who fled Rebirth and reached the Flotsam base, while the other's still doing hard time. Do characters gain exp when they're not in your 'active' squad? Because I'm currently splitting my screentime between the two and I could swear they haven't made any progress in the five to ten minutes I leave them in the background to focus on the other one not getting eaten or beaten to death.

e: also, what exactly do guards take from you when you're captured or enslaved? I know you can allow bandits to loot you in the starting settings, but I don't know if I'll keep any stolen or useful property each time I'm thrown in the slammer. Might be better to load my escaped gal with medkits and food and send her back to get caught again, to at least give my guys a chance to heal themselves when the guards do a piss-poor job of it.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 15, 2019

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Bussamove posted:

The shackles are pretty heavy and if you put them in your inventory after picking then the guards will keep putting more on your legs— thats how I turned my main character swole.

You're not playing Kenshi right until you have a character start a fight by throwing off 100+ lbs of slave shackles that he broke with his bare hands like they are weighted training clothing from DBZ.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

No, don't! Give the named Inquisitors and the Lord Phoenix to the Flotsam Ninjas and/or the Shek for tons of Cats and to make friends with them!

I actually just did that before stoping for the night. Handing those over gave me a ton of cash and made me good friends with the Shek. I did like that as you carry the Phoenix around Shek settlements they will react to you. Also, one patrol didn't believe I managed to capture him legit (well, they were right :v:) and wanted to fight me so I could prove my worth. Good thing they were slow as hell.

I did save just before handing in th Phoenix though since I wonder: As nice as it is to be allies with the Shek, I did learn that at least regular paladins can be put in slave clothes and stuck in a cage so their friends believe they are slaves. Kinda curious if I can do the same with their highest head of government. If nothing else I can do it as a alternate universe test or something

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
If you do this you have to free him and see if he joins

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

so i started a new game as slaves because i got a little tired of managing my base where i put it in the holy lands (bad idea for a skeleton it turns out).

i busted my two guys out, and ran into the fog after hitting up the little safehouse to get some food. I tried to guess where the city would be based on how the map looks, and I ended up running into a genuinely bizarre and creepy area that I would show a pic of, but I don't want to spoil it. around there my guys found an ancient lab, full of security spiders. I snuck past all the poo poo to loot stuff on the top floor, then saved and exited the game for a bit to go out.

turns out if you save and load the game, the security spiders will rotate their position. it hosed my guys, one was outright killed and the other got his leg broken and his arms ruined. I had to wait up there in the lab hiding for the leg to heal enough to be able to outrun the spiders, which I only 50% managed. I say 50% because i lost both my arms during the escape.

thankfully I had found a prosthetic arm in the lab, and fitted it fast enough to bandage my bleeding stumps and not die of bloodloss.

I managed to make it to Mongrel, and made enough from selling my treasures to buy a pair of masterwork arms, one thieving arm and one PUNCHING ARM!!!

i mourn my fallen slave brother, i tried reloading that save so many times to try and save him but I could never manage it. I will avenge him against those spiders, but for now I have to punch a lot of fog men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
I, errrr, accidently overstayed my welcome in a shop while i was looking at the locks, the shop all of a sudden closing. I assume I cant just pick the lock of the front door and walk out or just talk to the shop keeper? He's still hanging around with 2 guards on the first floor. I have 2 guys in there, one of which I just hired so her stealth is 1. I'm on the second floor with lots of walls, but there are also beds here so I assume this is where they will come to sleep? Aaaa

e: I'm not sure if this is dumb luck or if the game tells npcs not to sleep next to you, but the shop owner and a guard went to the beds on either side of the separating walls, and two other guards went to the top floor. I have gained dozens of levels just hanging around and being paranoid, now I'm alone downstairs and managed to grab a huge backpack from a container and pretty much everything that's worth a drat lying around.

valuum fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 16, 2019