Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

My gaming group is entirely vegan.

It's... I mean, sometimes you just want a big pizza, right?

Get one with anchovies.

It's more ecologically sustainable than most vegetables are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's pretty easy to make a vegan pizza. Just leave off the cheese and don't use any meat toppings.

Oh, they have vegan pizza. I'd rather have nothing.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, they have vegan pizza. I'd rather have nothing.

Vegan pizza is only bad if it's made by unimaginative idiots with poo poo taste who think they should try to imitate meat and cheese out of things that are not meat and cheese, instead of just making a similar but different dish using ingredients that actually taste good enough to be a replacement rather than an imitation. Flatbread with pesto, olives, tomatoes, and whatever other vegetables you want in there is great. Like, just as it is. Just leave out the lovely goop that your self-righteous friend tries to convince himself tastes totally like real cheese he swears he can't even tell the difference and you have a pizza that happens to be vegan and actually tastes good.

The same goes for a lot of other vegan foods (and cuisines) as well. There's a plenty that can stand just fine on its own, but the stuff that gets mass-produced and marketed in the west as vegan (rather than as itself) tends to be vegan equivalent of kraft singles and frozen store-brand chicken nuggets, kept afloat by the one guy from work who thinks yogurt is too ethnic but also gets a boner every time he tells someone how much better he is than them.

Stop trying to make tofu taste like meat, it's more than fine the way it is...

Waci fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 13, 2019

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I've had vegan pizza with 'cheese' that was edible at least (and I'm not a vegan I just have to hang out with them) but didn't really seem worth the added cost of it. Would eat when offered, wouldn't buy it myself.

I have another friend who isn't vegan but just hates cheese and orders cheeseless pizzas, which are fine.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Waci posted:

Vegan pizza is only bad if it's made by unimaginative idiots with poo poo taste

Yeah that's them.

This is why I keep trying to host, I know I can do better.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sooo my mom died this morning... and right now I’m trying to think of threads where I can post that without typing up a wall of text about it.

I’m gonna make an E/N thread but the OP will be long and I just don’t have it in me to type that out right now.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Edit: ^^^ Ohh gently caress dude that's awful. I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I used this sous vide guide today to temper some chocolate, trip report:

SV usually makes things more hands-off, and this is probably easier than double boiler, but it's actually a hassle. I'll probably stick to the microwave method in the same article, minus the thermometer. It's about the same amount of effort, quicker, and I get the same result with less time and without the bag waste.

Well that's my story thanks for reading

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I. M. Gei posted:

Sooo my mom died this morning... and right now I’m trying to think of threads where I can post that without typing up a wall of text about it.

I’m gonna make an E/N thread but the OP will be long and I just don’t have it in me to type that out right now.

Ah poo poo dude, I'm sorry.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

I. M. Gei posted:

drat dude. I'm sorry to hear that. Losing parents is rough.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I. M. Gei posted:

Sorry about losing your mom, mang. I sincerely wish you well and if you need to vent in here or anything, feel free.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I should have said this sooner, but your tragedy kind of brought it into focus.

I've always enjoyed your posting and your willingness to throw yourself out there which is a courage a lot of people on this forum don't possess. You've always been eager to listen and learn, and even more than that you've done so.

I wish you the absolute best, and I can tell you with confidence your parents are proud of you because I, a random rear end in a top hat on the internet, am also proud of you. You're a credit to this forum.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Stringent posted:

I should have said this sooner, but your tragedy kind of brought it into focus.

I've always enjoyed your posting and your willingness to throw yourself out there which is a courage a lot of people on this forum don't possess. You've always been eager to listen and learn, and even more than that you've done so.

I wish you the absolute best, and I can tell you with confidence your parents are proud of you because I, a random rear end in a top hat on the internet, am also proud of you. You're a credit to this forum.

Thank you for this, it means a lot to me.

We’re making funeral arrangements right now. Mom is going to be cremated, and I’ve been tasked with finding an urn for her.

... Actually, and this is super awkward to ask about here but I don’t know where else to ask, but if anyone has any recommendations for good urn making companies, please PM them to me. Or if you don’t have PMs and it’s okay with the OP/mods, I guess you could post them here too. I can post a description of what we’re looking for if anyone wants to see it.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I. M. Gei posted:

We’re making funeral arrangements right now. Mom is going to be cremated, and I’ve been tasked with finding an urn for her.

... Actually, and this is super awkward to ask about here but I don’t know where else to ask, but if anyone has any recommendations for good urn making companies, please PM them to me. Or if you don’t have PMs and it’s okay with the OP/mods, I guess you could post them here too. I can post a description of what we’re looking for if anyone wants to see it.

All I know about urns is that those companies rob you blind. They're so drat expensive, it's ridiculous. Depending on what you have in mind, consider looking for something that's not an actual urn, especially if it's unique or money is tight. (The ashes will be inside of a plastic bag of some sort.) We ended up going with a tiger maple box when my mom's husband died. We had a good friend who works in a sign shop make a really nice metal plaque that we attached to the top of the box with kind of a tribute thing she designed on it.

Sorry for you loss. Good luck with all the planning and logistics.

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 14, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I. M. Gei posted:

Ah man sorry to hear about this. I hope you and your family get everything settled easily and get some time to process.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crusty Nutsack posted:

All I know about urns is that those companies rob you blind. They're so drat expensive, it's ridiculous.

But enough about the funeral industry as a whole :v:

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Depending on what you have in mind, consider looking for something that's not an actual urn, especially if it's unique or money is tight. (The ashes will be inside of a plastic bag of some sort.)

Unfortunately my mom never told us anything about what kind of urn she wanted (all she told us was that she wanted a few of her ashes scattered in mountain streams), but we’re pretty sure a traditional vase urn is the way to go for her. We want something nice looking that we can display at home.

As far as details we’re looking for in an urn:

- The urn should be durable and not easily breakable (I don’t want a irl repeat of that scene from Meet The Parents where the urn breaks and the cat pisses in the ashes)
- Mom liked flowers, cats, the fall season, mountains, and snow, so we want something with designs of any of those (flowers are probably the easiest to find)
- We really REALLY want to be able to engrave at least 3 (and hopefully at least 4) lines of text on it, either directly on the urn or on a plaque attached to the urn
- If possible, it’d be nice to be able to add either a photo or a picture engraving of Mom onto the urn, although I’m not sure how easy that is to do on more detailed urns (or vase urns in general)

I could actually use a bit of help looking for this, since I’m getting kind of overwhelmed helping my dad out with all the funeral arrangements, and time is a little bit of a factor.

I’m not expecting any of this to be cheap, but I love my mom and I want everything to be nice for her.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 15, 2019

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I. M. Gei posted:

Unfortunately my mom never told us anything about what kind of urn she wanted (all she told us was that she wanted a few of her ashes scattered in mountain streams), but we’re pretty sure a traditional vase urn is the way to go for her. We want something nice looking that we can display at home.

- The urn should be durable and not easily breakable (I don’t want a irl repeat of that scene from Meet The Parents where the urn breaks and the cat pisses in the ashes)
- Mom liked flowers, cats, the fall season, mountains, and snow, so we want something with designs of any of those (flowers are probably the easiest to find)
- We really REALLY want to be able to engrave at least 3 (and hopefully at least 4) lines of text on it, either directly on the urn or on a plaque attached to the urn
- If possible, it’d be nice to be able to add either a photo or a picture engraving of Mom onto the urn, although I’m not sure how easy that is to do on more detailed urns (or vase urns in general)

I could actually use a bit of help looking for this, since I’m getting kind of overwhelmed helping my dad out with all the funeral arrangements, and time is a little bit of a factor.

I’m not expecting any of this to be cheap, but I love my mom and I want everything to be nice for her.

There is always the option of putting her ashes into something nice but temporary, while you search for the perfect long-term urn. As long as someone is comfortable with handling the ashes (again, in a bag) in the future, that could take off some immediate stress. You don't have to find something perfect and amazing right this moment. Just a thought.

comedy option: get a motorcycle gas tank urn. they actually make those! with painted flames and everything!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Crusty Nutsack posted:

There is always the option of putting her ashes into something nice but temporary, while you search for the perfect long-term urn. As long as someone is comfortable with handling the ashes (again, in a bag) in the future, that could take off some immediate stress. You don't have to find something perfect and amazing right this moment. Just a thought.

comedy option: get a motorcycle gas tank urn. they actually make those! with painted flames and everything!

I. M. Gei posted:

I super don't want to sound like a callous dick, however you decide to react is how you grieve and that's ok.

She's 100% right though. Just being pragmatic, don't spend money on a hot rod for someone who has passed. It's there for you and your family. If that's what y'all want, cool. Just don't get ripped off because you're mourning. On the flipside, some people see it as a "tribute" and that's cool too. I just hate to see people ripped off by a lovely system.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

I. M. Gei posted:

Bro. This loving sucks. I'm so sorry that you're going through it like this. Losing a parent will always suck, and this one sounds like it's hit you pretty hard.

https://www.amazon.com/Ansons-Urns-Pink-Rose-Cremation/dp/B07C6W4FNV/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=flower+urn&qid=1552620228&s=gateway&sr=8-5
Here's a really nice one in multiple colours. Go get you one. If you don't have Amazon prime to get the 2 days shipping, tell a bitch, and I'll see to it that it gets to you in a timely fashion. Also, if you need to vent, cry, or just feel your feelings, let me know.

With regards to the engraving, have someone who can do that quote you. If the urn is $100, hiring an artist to engrave it will be worth whatever you have to spend.

Message me if you just need to talk, or vent. We've got your back.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Waci posted:

Vegan pizza is only bad if it's made by unimaginative idiots with poo poo taste who think they should try to imitate meat and cheese out of things that are not meat and cheese, instead of just making a similar but different dish using ingredients that actually taste good enough to be a replacement rather than an imitation. Flatbread with pesto, olives, tomatoes, and whatever other vegetables you want in there is great. Like, just as it is. Just leave out the lovely goop that your self-righteous friend tries to convince himself tastes totally like real cheese he swears he can't even tell the difference and you have a pizza that happens to be vegan and actually tastes good.

The same goes for a lot of other vegan foods (and cuisines) as well. There's a plenty that can stand just fine on its own, but the stuff that gets mass-produced and marketed in the west as vegan (rather than as itself) tends to be vegan equivalent of kraft singles and frozen store-brand chicken nuggets, kept afloat by the one guy from work who thinks yogurt is too ethnic but also gets a boner every time he tells someone how much better he is than them.

Stop trying to make tofu taste like meat, it's more than fine the way it is...

Agree, I was vegan a very long time ago before fake cheese was any good but the frozen Amys vegan pizza that doesn't have cheese on it at all, it's like a sweet balsamic/roasted onion sauce with artichoke hearts and stuff on it is quite good. Sometimes I buy one for dinner even now. It's not anything like, a NY style pepperoni slice or whatever but it's tasty.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Shameless self plug:
https://slice.seriouseats.com/2011/04/top-this-thomas-hill-organics-carrot-pizza-how-to-make-carrot-pizza.html

Those are my hands and the back of my head!

I created that pizza after someone asked if we had vegan cheese and I was like "is that even a real thing?" I later learned that it was technically a real thing but I challenged myself to make a vegan pizza without fake bullshit that was also good.

Fun story: I had a pretty good beard going and the owner told me she wanted me to shave it before the article/photoshoot. I told her if she made me shave I was going to give myself a grotesque handlebar mustache. She said "no you wont." I said "bet?"

And that's why there are no pictures of my face in the article.

Also fun fact: I ran the pizza oven 5 days, whole place closed 1 day a week, and on the 7th day they used the prep from that pizza to make vegan tacos because they didn't staff or train anyone else to make pizzas. Seven years after I was fired they opened a new location down the street from my current job. Opening menu had vegan carrot and black lentil tacos.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 15, 2019

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

pile of brown posted:

Shameless self plug:
https://slice.seriouseats.com/2011/04/top-this-thomas-hill-organics-carrot-pizza-how-to-make-carrot-pizza.html

Those are my hands and the back of my head!

I created that pizza after someone asked if we had vegan cheese and I was like "is that even a real thing?" I later learned that it was technically a real thing but I challenged myself to make a vegan pizza without fake bullshit that was also good.

Fun story: I had a pretty good beard going and the owner told me she wanted me to shave it before the article/photoshoot. I told her if she made me shave I was going to give myself a grotesque handlebar mustache. She said "no you wont." I said "bet?"

And that's why there are no pictures of my face in the article.

Also fun fact: I ran the pizza oven 5 days, whole place closed 1 day a week, and on the 7th day they used the prep from that pizza to make vegan tacos because they didn't staff or train anyone else to make pizzas. Seven years after I was fired they opened a new location down the street from my current job. Opening menu had vegan carrot and black lentil tacos.

That pizza sounds hella good.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

A friend of mine got a local artist who worked with metal to do one. This came in cheaper than the funeral industry ones and was like you want, basically unbreakable. Also they commissioned what they wanted on the side. Just a thought if you want something specific it might be worth looking into local artists as they are possibly cheaper than the places that specialise in this stuff and quite often better and bonus more likely to make you something special.

Also I mean the money goes to a local artist instead of big funeral.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 15, 2019

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I was going to say the same thing. The urn may not be an immediate priority in the way that other things are.

Also, condolences.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crusty Nutsack posted:

therattle posted:

I was going to say the same thing. The urn may not be an immediate priority in the way that other things are.

Also, condolences.

I didn’t know this, thanks. I’d like to find something soon, but it’s good to know that it isn’t like super urgent to find my mom a perfect corpse jar on top of the mountain of other awful poo poo we have to deal with right now.

dino. posted:

Bro. This loving sucks. I'm so sorry that you're going through it like this. Losing a parent will always suck, and this one sounds like it's hit you pretty hard.

Yeah it’s definitely been tough. I’ve had anxiety issues my whole life, and losing a parent to a sudden death has been one of my top 3 fears since I was like 6 years old. I expect to be hosed up from this for a good long while.

dino. posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Ansons-Urns-Pink-Rose-Cremation/dp/B07C6W4FNV/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=flower+urn&qid=1552620228&s=gateway&sr=8-5
Here's a really nice one in multiple colours. Go get you one. If you don't have Amazon prime to get the 2 days shipping, tell a bitch, and I'll see to it that it gets to you in a timely fashion.

This looks okay, but something about the thought of buying something ultra sacred and personal like an urn on Amazon doesn’t sit well with me for some reason.

Speaking of which, I googled for urns yesterday and discovered you can buy them at Walmart, which... just.... no. gently caress no.

dino. posted:

With regards to the engraving, have someone who can do that quote you. If the urn is $100, hiring an artist to engrave it will be worth whatever you have to spend.

Having a third party do the engraving is an option I hadn’t considered. Thanks, I’ll look into that.

dino. posted:

Also, if you need to vent, cry, or just feel your feelings, let me know.

Message me if you just need to talk, or vent. We've got your back.

I appreciate this. I’m not sure how much venting or crying I want to do with goons, but I do really want to make an E/N thread sometime in the near future. I just haven’t been able to type one up yet because I’ve been so busy contacting friends and family, helping my dad with funeral arrangements and personal affairs, and generally being shocked and sad as all gently caress. Also because the OP is gonna be pretty long and this whole ordeal has left me too physically and emotionally exhausted to put my thoughts down (and because you can’t edit posts in E/N (and because I don’t want to start crying while I’m typing)).

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 16, 2019

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can buy coffins from Costco too. Capitalism is crazy. Also, hugs and comfort <3

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeah it’s definitely been tough. I’ve had anxiety issues my whole life, and losing a parent to a sudden death has been one of my top 3 fears since I was like 6 years old. I expect to be hosed up from this for a good long while.

Don't be surprised if you have some PTSD-like symptoms. Especially if it was sudden and unexpected. Even when things settle down a little more, you may have trouble sleeping, nightmares, greater anxiety, panic attacks, etc. I'm not trying to scare you, because you might not have anything like that! But I did with a very unexpected death in my family, and it was like holy poo poo, what's happening to me? Because I had never had a panic attack before. Make sure you take care of yourself right now, that's super important.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Goondolences/pizza

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Don't be surprised if you have some PTSD-like symptoms. Especially if it was sudden and unexpected. Even when things settle down a little more, you may have trouble sleeping, nightmares, greater anxiety, panic attacks, etc. I'm not trying to scare you, because you might not have anything like that! But I did with a very unexpected death in my family, and it was like holy poo poo, what's happening to me? Because I had never had a panic attack before. Make sure you take care of yourself right now, that's super important.

This is absolutely true.

I. M. Gei posted:

Remember, whatever you're feeling, it's how you're feeling. You don't have to deny it because it's not how you're "supposed" to feel, grief hits everyone differently, and coming to terms with it can be deeply personal.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Manuel Calavera posted:

You can buy coffins from Costco too. Capitalism is crazy. Also, hugs and comfort <3

In all fairness even in Australia I know of people so crazy bout Costco they'd be completely down for this.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Crusty Nutsack posted:

After my dad died I had dreams for months that he had faked his death to avoid legal troubles. He had never had any legal troubles. Brains are weird.

The one word of consolation I can offer is that it does get better. It's never gonna be quite right, but it does get better.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

John wick is a movie about the importance of grief if you haven't taken a look.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Today I went to church for the first time in probably over a decade.

I made it about a third of the way through the service, then spent the last two thirds in the bathroom doing diarrhea.

So that was fun.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hopefully my ability to make TMI posts like that again means I’ve begun the healing process. :unsmith:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I tried marmite on buttered toast for the first time. I didn't like it. I mean, it's not vile or disgusting, I just don't get why you'd want more? Sure it had a super salty and savory kick to it but that was it. The flavor itself just was kinda not yummy? IDGI.

Is this how brits feel about peanut butter?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

So I tried marmite on buttered toast for the first time. I didn't like it. I mean, it's not vile or disgusting, I just don't get why you'd want more? Sure it had a super salty and savory kick to it but that was it. The flavor itself just was kinda not yummy? IDGI.

Is this how brits feel about peanut butter?

I can’t speak for all Brits but my wife loves peanut butter and it’s pretty popular here. Maybe you’re thinking of France, where it doesn’t seem to be.

PS marmite is delicious.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Did you spread it on thick like peanut butter? Also vegemite is similar but a bit more mellow (and also better in every way fight me).

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

sweat poteto posted:

Did you spread it on thick like peanut butter? Also vegemite is similar but a bit more mellow (and also better in every way fight me).

I have Vegemite and quite enjoy it. I find hard to like stir into a soup or something. Is marmite less viscous?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Ben Nevis posted:

I have Vegemite and quite enjoy it. I find hard to like stir into a soup or something. Is marmite less viscous?

Actually depends which country you're in. I remember it being more like vegemite in New Zealand, but the stuff in the UK is runny like thick honey.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

therattle posted:

I can’t speak for all Brits but my wife loves peanut butter and it’s pretty popular here. Maybe you’re thinking of France, where it doesn’t seem to be.

PS marmite is delicious.
Nahh I've always heard that brits just don't generally dig peanut butter. At least compared to how much Americans love it. We put it on a ton of stuff.

sweat poteto posted:

Not really. I buttered the toast like I normally would and then put say maybe a little less than a teaspoon and spread it on the whole piece?

Like I said, it didn't suck or anything, I just didn't see the appeal to have more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Not really. I buttered the toast like I normally would and then put say maybe a little less than a teaspoon and spread it on the whole piece?

Like I said, it didn't suck or anything, I just didn't see the appeal to have more?

Yeah, I'm with you. Once you learn to spread it thin enough, it's OK, but not something I would buy on purpose.

The first time I tried it, I spread it on thick like peanut butter, and it stuck to my teeth like glue. I had to go brush and floss to get the taste out.