Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I wish more games would learn that "Nothing Happens" is a terrible potential choice for their random, thematic events. If "Nothing Happens" is not optimal, it is pointless. If "Nothing Happens" is optimal, it is joyless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

jmzero posted:

We finished out Aeon's End: Legacy. It was fine. Mild spoilers ahead.

The tempo of the game got better over time, the early missions were really short and unsatisfying - but by the end it gives you enough time to get to your engine going (without making you run your engine forever).

On the flip side, gameplay really got into a rut. We all did essentially the same stuff for the last 4 missions, and that sucked the drama out of the climax. At the beginning, the supply upgrades are super interesting choices - but eventually we got to a set of supply piles we liked, and made only marginal changes from there on in. By the end, our in-game decisions were very much on autopilot; we followed the same builds each time without much variance or drama. It felt like we won or lost (well, we really only won) based more on "between game choices" and luck than how we played out each game.

The story/setting is painfully bland. For progression, everyone just kind of ended up in a job and took whatever +1 would help that job the most. You had roles, but they were too static, too straightforward (I'll get +1 damage, since I shoot stuff early), and had no thematic support. It's hard to go from Gloomhaven, where the different characters all feel so interesting and different, to this kind of lame mild variation.

My only question is, if somebody in the group is making us play this, how fast can we finish the campaign so we can get back to Gloomhaven?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
All the recent talk of the potential mortality of the forums gave me pause to post in here.

A lot of things have happened to me. They are not things I'm willing to post about. I've already had to put up with 17 years of being harassed for the claims I've put out about my life, and these forums aren't a kind place.

Anyway, I lost almost all of my board games. This includes various first printings and kickstarter exclusives and other irreplaceables. It's hard to discuss things that you avoid thinking about, so my presence dried up in this thread.

The status of Final Attack! is:

drawing art for 100+ cards takes a very long time.

Unfortunately, I cannot publish FA! without being rich (relative to my current status). Board games require physical materials, which aren't free. Since nobody is currently preordering the game and there's no release date set, the project is on indefinite hiatus while I finish my current video game project. The upside of this is that (like all my other unpublished titles of note) development is still technically continuing on it and other board games as I get better at making them. Final Attack! might not have the latest innovations of the last 2 years of the board gaming industry, but it'll still have 2 years of innovations packed into it, including a fleshed-out campaign mode among other things.

That all said, I hope everybody is well and I hope we can continue to make wooden cube jokes together for years to come. I absolutely still want to publish Final Attack!, Power-Up!: WTWZ, Castlemania, system.Crash, and all the other tabletop games in my backlog. I learned a lot from making games from this thread and I learned even more about playing them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Broken Loose posted:

All the recent talk of the potential mortality of the forums gave me pause to post in here.

A lot of things have happened to me. They are not things I'm willing to post about. I've already had to put up with 17 years of being harassed for the claims I've put out about my life, and these forums aren't a kind place.

Anyway, I lost almost all of my board games. This includes various first printings and kickstarter exclusives and other irreplaceables. It's hard to discuss things that you avoid thinking about, so my presence dried up in this thread.

Unfortunately, I cannot publish FA! without being rich (relative to my current status). Board games require physical materials, which aren't free. Since nobody is currently preordering the game and there's no release date set, the project is on indefinite hiatus while I finish my current video game project. The upside of this is that (like all my other unpublished titles of note) development is still technically continuing on it and other board games as I get better at making them. Final Attack! might not have the latest innovations of the last 2 years of the board gaming industry, but it'll still have 2 years of innovations packed into it, including a fleshed-out campaign mode among other things.

That all said, I hope everybody is well and I hope we can continue to make wooden cube jokes together for years to come. I absolutely still want to publish Final Attack!, Power-Up!: WTWZ, Castlemania, system.Crash, and all the other tabletop games in my backlog. I learned a lot from making games from this thread and I learned even more about playing them.
It's great to see you again BL and I'd like to thank you for your own part in making this thread great!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the imput, everyone.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you want 2P maps I'd look at Corsica or Creta (this comes with Aegyptus, another smallish map) though there's nothing wrong with just starting with the base game and playing on Italia or Ionium for a while.

Yeah, I played some turns 2 handed in TTS to grok the rules, and the path of least resistance in the Italy map was for each player to dart towards opposing sides of the board. Corsica is :tenbux: ion Amazon, so I may get it as well.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

It's great to see you again BL and I'd like to thank you for your own part in making this thread great!

Copying this sentiment precisely.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

T-Bone posted:

There's a lot of interesting stuff on Kickstarter in March and April. The new Root expansion, KeyMarket, Glen More II (which went up today), and next month is the new Vital.

I was interested in Glen More until I saw the price. $120 shipped to Canada? Even with the Chronicles extras that seems insanely steep. I want the base game of Glen More and that will never be worth more than around $35 to me. Here’s hoping people sell off their original copies.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 14, 2019

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

T-Bone posted:

There's a lot of interesting stuff on Kickstarter in March and April. The new Root expansion, KeyMarket, Glen More II (which went up today), and next month is the new Vital, On Mars.

e: Speaking of which, has anyone played a PNP/virtual game of Escape Plan? It looks pretty sweet and actually kinda medium-heavyish for a Vital.

Tax return season :stoked:

I’m just hoping GMT would finally release the name of their next 18xx.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Man, Kickstarter season is in full swing again. What do people think about the Root expansion? I remember there being some worry because Cole isn't as involved with them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Hopefully final Concordia questions:

- Whats the purpose of the mid game scoring? Just showing new players how score works?
- And regarding the scoring explanation, is "build as much poo poo as you can, in as many places as you can, your cards are a scoring multiplier" good enough for a first go of the game, or are there some important stuff I am missing?

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

Man, Kickstarter season is in full swing again. What do people think about the Root expansion? I remember there being some worry because Cole isn't as involved with them.

I'm hesitant for that exact reason. Vast, to me, was not enjoyable at all. I haven't tried any of Leder's other games.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Hopefully final Concordia questions:

- Whats the purpose of the mid game scoring? Just showing new players how score works?
- And regarding the scoring explanation, is "build as much poo poo as you can, in as many places as you can, your cards are a scoring multiplier" good enough for a first go of the game, or are there some important stuff I am missing?

1. Yup, just to give people a quick idea of how they’re doing.

2. That’ll work. I generally say something like, “Pay attention to the cards you take. The more X you have, the more Y you want,” where X is the god and Y is the scoring condition. Scoring in Concordia can be wonky for newcomers, but people can set up pretty simple heuristics to judge what they want to be doing. I’ve seen a lot of people be disappointed in their endgame scores because they didn’t take enough cards or took the wrong cards.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

My only question is, if somebody in the group is making us play this, how fast can we finish the campaign so we can get back to Gloomhaven?

It doesn't overstay. It took us around 10 hours to get through the campaign (about 2 weeks of lunch hours, leaving the game set up).

You can use the stuff to play "normal" Aeon's End when you're done. We likely won't.

Edit: I'm sounding more negative than I mean to be. The game was fine - it was just also frustrating because it feels like it was only a few different decisions away from being a much better game.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 14, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FulsomFrank posted:

He confirmed that he did the deck and the lead designer of the game wasn’t Patrick but their graphic designer (? Lol). He said he worked closely with the development. That said I don’t have too much faith in the expansion beyond the new deck. Looking over the new factions and maps did not really excite me with what they bring. The new Vagabond meeples are ace though!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chill la Chill posted:

Tax return season :stoked:

I’m just hoping GMT would finally release the name of their next 18xx.

Their last p500 newsletter said it would be added in the "the next few months" which could mean literally anything with their concept of time.

Atlantic Chase looks really neat too although I suppose that's for the wargame thread: https://www.gmtgames.com/p-706-atlantic-chase.aspx

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
That reminds me. I preordered 1862 but I've been having doubts about keeping the pre-order. For someone who would be happy owning just a single 18XX game (and has never played one before) is this a good one or should I hold out for the 1830 reprint or whatever other one GMT might be making?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Megasabin posted:

That reminds me. I preordered 1862 but I've been having doubts about keeping the pre-order. For someone who would be happy owning just a single 18XX game (and has never played one before) is this a good one or should I hold out for the 1830 reprint or whatever other one GMT might be making?

If you want to own just one 18xx you should buy 1830 now, because the reprint is widely available.

1862 is on the fringe of 18xx designs, and not in a particularly great way.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It would depend entirely on what kind of 18xx you're looking for (stock shenanigans, run good companies, etc), and the optimal playing time/player count.

In general though if you're just going to get one I'd suggest 1846 (run good companies) or 1889 (stock shenanigans). 1830 is fine too (1889 is more or less the same game on a smaller map).

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

T-Bone posted:

It would depend entirely on what kind of 18xx you're looking for (stock shenanigans, run good companies, etc), and the optimal playing time/player count.

In general though if you're just going to get one I'd suggest 1846 (run good companies) or 1889 (stock shenanigans). 1830 is fine too (1889 is more or less the same game on a smaller map).

I am interested in stock shenanigans.

1889 is the one that I've heard the best things. I think it actually plays in a decent amount of time due to the smaller map right? How does one acquire that game? It's not something that's mass produced or will ever get a reprint right? Do I basically have to buy it for 100 bucks from BBG or is there a way to go through the developer?

What are the main differences between an operations-based 18XX like 1846 and a game like Age of Steam?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Megasabin posted:

1889 is the one that I've heard the best things. I think it actually plays in a decent amount of time due to the smaller map right? How does one acquire that game? It's not something that's mass produced or will ever get a reprint right? Do I basically have to buy it for 100 bucks from BBG or is there a way to go through the developer?

What are the main differences between an operations-based 18XX like 1846 and a game like Age of Steam?

You buy 1889 through All-Aboard Games. I think the $100 BGG listing is actually just an AAG listing anyways. AAG is the "official" producer of 1889.

I'd say the main difference is that you can win a game of 1846 without creating the best company, because even though it's not a stock shenanigans game it's still an investment game. Predicting the performance of other companies and being well-positioned to tap into that at the right time is as much the game in 1846 as building the best routes.

Also it has a lot more math.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Megasabin posted:

You can buy it directly from Deep Thought Games: http://www.all-aboardgames.com/home/yasutaka-ikeda-s-1889 -- but yeah it is pricey. It plays in a reasonable amount of time (2-3 hours once you get it down) and I get it to the table a lot more than I do 1830. It's probably my favorite 18xx.

quote:

Steam is a pick up an deliver game where you own your trains and you are ultimately trying to score victory points (which you balance against collecting income to buy more trains and do other stuff). In 18xx you own stock in the train companies (and run the companies which includes operating trains if you're the majority investor) but not the trains themselves , and the winner is the player who holds the most money at the end of the game (money on hand + the value of the stock).

e: whoops misread this didn't realize you wanted a comparison between 46 itself. Yeah, 46 is still very much an 18xx in that you're buying stock and operating companies, it's way closer to 1830/1889 than it is AoS. The big difference is that in 46 you can't dump a company on someone (so you can't sell the president's share) and it's much harder in 46 to trash a company's stock by selling shares into the open market. This can sometimes give it an economic snowball feeling that some 18xx players don't like. I still think it's a great game and absolutely worth owning, and I still play it even after getting into bigger/more boutique 18xxs. If I were just getting into 18xx I'd get 89 or 30 and 46 and go from there.

Also the production on the GMT 1846 is fantastic if that's important to you. Not that the AAG/DTG games have bad production, but they're not as spiffy as 1846.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 14, 2019

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
You can dump companies in 46, but it's only worth doing so early.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Do not buy from deep thought. All aboard is their de facto manufacturer now and if you order from DTG you might as well bet on receiving the game within your lifetime.

I would also actually recommend CZ over 46 as it is operations, has a softer rush, and has a more unique gimmick of mergers and different trains compared to pairing the best privates with the best companies.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 14, 2019

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

taser rates posted:

You can dump companies in 46, but it's only worth doing so early.

I should say you can't sell below the president's share unless someone holds 20% (which granted is the same as 89, but like you said it's much more of a legitimate strategy throughout the game in 89/30 because of how the stock movement/payouts/train rushes work), and dumping is much rarer and not something you generally have to worry about. I can't even remember the last time it happened in a game of 46 I played, whereas in say 89 it's a constant threat and has to be accounted for.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 14, 2019

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Chill la Chill posted:

Do not buy from deep thought. All aboard is their de facto manufacturer now and if you order from DTG you might as well bet on receiving the game within your lifetime.

I would also actually recommend CZ over 46 as it is operations, has a softer rush, and has a more unique gimmick of mergers and different trains compared to pairing the best privates with the best companies.

So basically get it from BGG marketplace?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Megasabin posted:

So basically get it from BGG marketplace?

The website I linked ships immediately. He just means don't get it from the DTG website directly.

Chill la Chill posted:

Maybe it's just that my group doesn't have as many plays in it, but CZ plays like an hour longer and doesn't scale as well as 1846 imo for different player counts. I like it, but I think 1846 is a way better first experience.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hey look I made an order at DTG only 5years ago, I’m down to the 200s!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

T-Bone posted:

The website I linked ships immediately. He just means don't get it from the DTG website directly.

Maybe it's just that my group doesn't have as many plays in it, but CZ plays like an hour longer and doesn't scale as well as 1846 imo for different player counts. I like it, but I think 1846 is a way better first experience.

That’s true. However, I think CZ has more to teach and has more depth than 46 due to the mergers. I think for someone who wants as few as possible, it’s a stronger pick. I would still recommend 89>30>CZ>46.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
I'm also curious about Root after seeing the new kickstarter pop up. I know everyone here loved it. Then everyone decided it was too flawed and didn't last beyond the "let's figure this poo poo out" phase. Then they released expansions and after that they went back and changed the core rules in fundamental ways.

So where are we now? Is it a game that lasts beyond that initial stage? I love the look and the concept but I don't want to end up owning another Scythe.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Then everyone decided it was too flawed and didn't last beyond the "let's figure this poo poo out" phase. Then they released expansions and after that they went back and changed the core rules in fundamental ways.

Nah that's not accurate. The first expansion was released alongside the base and the rule changes were very minor and easy to implement balance adjustments to fix a few victory point discrepancies. It's still got a very solid rep here and an 8.1 with 5.6k ratings on BGG. It's certainly not a game for everyone, but its reputation wasn't tanked or anything.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I don't think he's that far off to be honest. Our group has cooled on Root very quickly mostly because the majority of our games started to play identically and more often than not revolved around one person torpedoing someone else's game while another player, typically the vagabond, sneaks to a win. Not saying we're pros but the two dozen games that were being pumped out a few months ago seemed to really show how fragile the entire experience is.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
So it looks like GF9 is reprinting Dune.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

That art is from a fan redesign.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

cenotaph posted:

That art is from a fan redesign.

They might be buying that art to use? It's unlikely but has happened before.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Is Race for the Galaxy usually hard to find? I was going to pick it up on a whim and it seems to be out of stock everywhere and even Amazon only has one copy for sale at like 75 bucks. I saw that a 2nd edition was released just a few months back. Maybe it's just the first run of that that is sold out and it would be back in stock in the coming months?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

There's a new statement from Martin Wallace regarding Age of Steam.

quote:

Hi Folks,

Good news, Rick and I have made an agreement. The following is an officially agreed press release. From my point of view I am now happy with EGG proceeding with Age of Steam.

1) Whatever disputes about Age of Steam that may have existed in the past have now been resolved to both parties’ satisfaction.
2) I will no longer dispute that Eagle-Gryphon Games (EGG) is the proper successor in interest to Eagle Games, the entity I signed a Purchase Agreement with in March, 2005 conveying various ownership rights to Age of Steam; Struggle of Empires; and a game to be designed at a later date.
3) I have conveyed whatever rights I might have in Age of Steam free and clear to EGG.
4) I will not dispute that EGG is the sole and exclusive holder and owner of the rights to Struggle of Empires, Railroad Tycoon (later named Railways of the World), and Railways of England and Wales (later named Railways of Great Britain) – games that I conveyed to Eagle Games.
5) I also give my permission to Eagle-Gryphon Games (EGG) to use my name in relation to the Age of Steam (AOS) game at EGG’s discretion (e.g., on the box cover; on the rules; in advertising and marketing including press releases regarding Age of Steam; and specifically in any Kickstarter campaign, updates, comments, etc.). I realize that they are under no obligation to use my name on the AOS box or otherwise and that is perfectly okay with me.
6) I will no longer speak or write ill of Eagle-Gryphon Games, in public or in private. I will write no more BGG threads or on any other similar forum negative comments about EGG, as I have no basis to continue to do so. EGG has agreed to reciprocate. In short, we are both ready to put this behind us and move forward with our respective projects.
7) I encourage everyone with an interest in the present Age of Steam Deluxe campaign running on Kickstarter to pledge and support that production and not to feel that some obligation to me prevents them from doing so.

Martin Wallace

It's just a complete capitulation, isn't it?

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Broken Loose posted:

Glad you're still keeping on, I still think about FA now and again because I really want that game to make it. :unsmith: I'll hop on the pre-order train whenever it gets going.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Abisteen posted:

Is Race for the Galaxy usually hard to find? I was going to pick it up on a whim and it seems to be out of stock everywhere and even Amazon only has one copy for sale at like 75 bucks. I saw that a 2nd edition was released just a few months back. Maybe it's just the first run of that that is sold out and it would be back in stock in the coming months?

It’s got a reprint coming soon with a few minor revisions.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Presumably for cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah sadly. At least it’s something. I was holding off until Martin got something so I think I’ll get it now. Would be nice if EGG apolgoized or something on the KS but I doubt we’d get that. Would’ve been nice if he got some royalties or whatever because I’m sure this will start raking in more money with EGG/Ian o toole expansions. Someone said as such in the KS comments that EGG gets all the benefit from using Wallace’s name and designer prestige (even as an implication) even if his name isn’t o the box. Oh well.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 15, 2019