Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Public Serpent posted:

A close friend of mine had a successful external version. She said it was uncomfortable but felt worth it.

Maybe you should start reading up on C-sections too, just in case? Try not to think of it as a failure. It's still you giving birth to your child, just through a different opening.

I have been, but it's hard not to get put off by the idea of being awake while they're digging inside your abdominal cavity. The book they gave us ok childbirth says you get to smell the cauterization of your own blood vessels and to me this is some legitimate body horror poo poo. At this point though I'm just trying to focus on the not terrifying things, like having a baby out in 10 minutes rather than 10+ hours.

Thanks, though. I legit have not met anyone who knows anyone who had an external version work out, even if the odds are supposed to be close to 50/50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Try to stay positive (easier said than done, I know... ). She could surprise you and still move on her own.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I honestly don't think it's possible to plan for any of this stuff in any case with a specific birth in mind. We were seconds away from having a c-section but the last minute ventouse delivery worked. My wife and I hadn't read up much on any of the complications that can happen and in I'm glad we didn't. Sometimes it's just better to put your faith in the doctors, nurses and midwives and hold on tight and stay positive no matter what is happening.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

take me to the beaver posted:

After months of having what I thought was a baby butt sticking out from under my ribs, it turns out that it's a head (and maybe I should feel bad about gently shaking it to wake her because I hadn't felt kicks in a while? Nah). Anyone actually had any luck with external rotation of a breech baby? I'm probably going to be experiencing it sometime this week.

I just feel so disappointed, some hosed up part of me was looking forward to going through labor after spending so much time learning about it :( now my odds suck rear end and C-sections scare the poo poo out of me. Halp.

https://spinningbabies.com

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Seconded on this. My bub was not breach, but was posterior, and doing these exercises helped her to move. They’ve got a yoga video you can purchase. I did that every morning in the last couple of months of pregnancy and it was really lovely, also left me feeling relaxed and ready for the day.

Nosueck
Mar 14, 2010
28 weeks pregnant today with first (and likely only). It's been a ride so far. We've found all sorts of things of questionable significance that so far have improved, disappeared, or stabilized with the exception of a velamentous cord insertion -- basically the umbilical cord inserts off to the side of the placenta instead of in the middle, so babby is vulnerable to all sorts of bad things, including growth restriction, fetal death, hemorrhage during labor...essentially terrifying. I'm in the midst of discussing with my OB whether to just have a planned C section, even though this condition isn't technically an indication for a section. What I'm really terrified of is trying normal labor and then having to do an emergency C section because babby is in distress.

Curious if anyone hear can speak to the recovery time from their C section? Especially in comparison to vaginal birth? Was it really that bad?

Other than that it's getting to the point where the 2nd tri honeymoon is coming to an end. It's just a little more difficult to get around and accomplish everyday tasks, like sitting up in the morning and going 2 hours without having to pee.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

femcastra posted:

Seconded on this. My bub was not breach, but was posterior, and doing these exercises helped her to move. They’ve got a yoga video you can purchase. I did that every morning in the last couple of months of pregnancy and it was really lovely, also left me feeling relaxed and ready for the day.

It really is an awesome site. I have about a 60-70% success rate with external cephalic version and get bummed when it doesn't work. I had a patient that I and our midwife tried our damndest to turn the other week with no luck. She religiously has stuck with that site and came in last week at 38 weeks with a head-down baby.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Nosueck posted:

Curious if anyone hear can speak to the recovery time from their C section? Especially in comparison to vaginal birth? Was it really that bad?

Quoting because I'd like to hear about this too since that's now where I'm headed.

Babby refused to get turnt by ECV because babby is an uncooperative butthead. Fortunately, the worst part of the whole procedure was the IV placement because I'm a big baby about my IV phobia. They were impressed that there was absolutely no fetal response (well she may have tried to kick and punch to defend her honor) to being manhandled, so that was good I guess. If you're gonna be a stubborn fetus, I guess it's also good to be a stoic fetus too.

If anyone wants to hear what it's like to go through ECV let me know. Seems it's getting more common since the 2000 breech study concluded it's approximately 5x safer to just deliver all breech babies by C-section. With those odds I really can't blame them. Still, I hear a lot of pregnant people are scared off by the fact that they've heard it's painful, and I can assure you that mine was not that bad.

Nihilistic Magpie
Nov 21, 2018

After months of having what I thought was a baby butt sticking out from under my ribs, it turns out that it's a head (and maybe I should feel bad about gently shaking it to wake her because I hadn't felt kicks in a while? Nah). Anyone actually had any luck with external rotation of a breech baby? I'm probably going to be experiencing it sometime this week.

I just feel so disappointed, some hosed up part of me was looking forward to going through labor after spending so much time learning about it :( now my odds suck rear end and C-sections scare the poo poo out of me. Halp.

When I found out I was pregnant, I was terrified about the possibility of getting a C-section (the thought of surgery scares me), but when I got to the hospital during labor and they told me I should get a C-section immediately because my baby was in distress, I suddenly was okay with it. I just wanted my baby to be safe. And honestly, it was the easiest thing out of the whole pregnancy. You just have to lay there for a bit and then they pass you a baby.

They put up a curtain so you don't have to see anything gross, and the incision is so far down that only you and your partner will ever see it. You are awake for the procedure (which the thought of being so was what terrified me during my pregnancy), but the drugs you're on make it so you can't feel any pain and make it a bit hard to concentrate (I wouldn't say your thinking isn't super impaired though. Just enough so you're more relaxed). My anesthesiologist was really great. She stood by my head the whole procedure and told me what to expect to feel (like "You're going to feel some pulling"). The sensations are a bit weird, but nothing freaky.

Nosueck posted:

I can't compare it to a vaginal birth, but regarding recovery time, you shouldn't/can't lift anything heavier than your baby for 6-8 weeks. Your abdominal muscles will be weak (because the incision went through them), but on the bright side, you likely don't have to worry about recovery from possible tearing. I was on prescribed painkillers for a couple weeks after the surgery, so the pain was minimal for me. Even when they wore off near the time I had to take another pill, it didn't feel overly painful (and nothing is going to hurt more than labor in my opinion). You'll still be numb in that area from the incision. I climbed into the back of a Jeep when I was released from the hospital. Not fun, but doable. Leaning over and standing up is going to suck, but it generally does when you're pregnant too.

No matter how the baby comes out, you're going to be sore, just in different places. Either way, you're still going to have to figure out your baby and your body will need to recover from pregnancy. No matter how your baby comes into the world, you're still a mother. Labor and delivery is only a very short time in comparison to the rest of your life raising your child.

Nihilistic Magpie fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 7, 2019

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I think C-section recovery is also very much ymmv just like recovery from vaginal birth. There will be people all over the spectrum from super easy to super difficult and you just need know.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Thank you Nihilistic Magpie, that was super helpful. I'm not looking forward to surgery (who is?) but I'm definitely looking forward to meeting my baby.

Nihilistic Magpie
Nov 21, 2018
You're welcome. I went through it only three months ago so the fears I had before giving birth are all are still fresh.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nihilistic Magpie posted:

When I found out I was pregnant, I was terrified about the possibility of getting a C-section (the thought of surgery scares me), but when I got to the hospital during labor and they told me I should get a C-section immediately because my baby was in distress, I suddenly was okay with it. I just wanted my baby to be safe. And honestly, it was the easiest thing out of the whole pregnancy. You just have to lay there for a bit and then they pass you a baby.

They put up a curtain so you don't have to see anything gross, and the incision is so far down that only you and your partner will ever see it. You are awake for the procedure (which the thought of being so was what terrified me during my pregnancy), but the drugs you're on make it so you can't feel any pain and make it a bit hard to concentrate (I wouldn't say your thinking isn't super impaired though. Just enough so you're more relaxed). My anesthesiologist was really great. She stood by my head the whole procedure and told me what to expect to feel (like "You're going to feel some pulling"). The sensations are a bit weird, but nothing freaky.

I can't compare it to a vaginal birth, but regarding recovery time, you shouldn't/can't lift anything heavier than your baby for 6-8 weeks. Your abdominal muscles will be weak (because the incision went through them), but on the bright side, you likely don't have to worry about recovery from possible tearing. I was on prescribed painkillers for a couple weeks after the surgery, so the pain was minimal for me. Even when they wore off near the time I had to take another pill, it didn't feel overly painful (and nothing is going to hurt more than labor in my opinion). You'll still be numb in that area from the incision. I climbed into the back of a Jeep when I was released from the hospital. Not fun, but doable. Leaning over and standing up is going to suck, but it generally does when you're pregnant too.

No matter how the baby comes out, you're going to be sore, just in different places. Either way, you're still going to have to figure out your baby and your body will need to recover from pregnancy. No matter how your baby comes into the world, you're still a mother. Labor and delivery is only a very short time in comparison to the rest of your life raising your child.

A+ write up, thank you.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
It's not for everyone, but they can and do do general anaesthesia for c-sections too. I had a patient once who gave birth via GA sections for all four of her kids and was planning a fifth, entirely because she couldn't cope with being awake and having surgery due to psychological issues. For myself I'd be tempted to lean the GA route too if it came down to it, though thankfully we've never had to go there.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

I have been, but it's hard not to get put off by the idea of being awake while they're digging inside your abdominal cavity. The book they gave us ok childbirth says you get to smell the cauterization of your own blood vessels and to me this is some legitimate body horror poo poo. At this point though I'm just trying to focus on the not terrifying things, like having a baby out in 10 minutes rather than 10+ hours.

Thanks, though. I legit have not met anyone who knows anyone who had an external version work out, even if the odds are supposed to be close to 50/50.

My (now 6 year old) daughter was breech and my Doctor prepped me for a C-section but first allowed me to try and deliver vaginally and I succeeded! You could always discuss it with them and see if it's a possibility. Mine was over 9lbs and I was so so glad it happened that way.
But honestly, C-section so have gotten a lot better lately and I know three women who had them 10+ years ago and then again recently with their later babies and said it's almost night and day in difference to how it used to be.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Stairs posted:

My (now 6 year old) daughter was breech and my Doctor prepped me for a C-section but first allowed me to try and deliver vaginally and I succeeded! You could always discuss it with them and see if it's a possibility. Mine was over 9lbs and I was so so glad it happened that way.
But honestly, C-section so have gotten a lot better lately and I know three women who had them 10+ years ago and then again recently with their later babies and said it's almost night and day in difference to how it used to be.

Yeah no, it's absolutely not an option. I've come around though, I was initially disappointed but in the end what really matters is everyone leaving the hospital in as good of shape as possible.

Nosueck
Mar 14, 2010
Thanks for the helpful c section experiences. I'm a physician (no field close to OB, though) and I remember watching many c sections on my ob rotation in med school. It is the thought of being awake that terrifies me. I know too much. I've seen things.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Nosueck posted:

Thanks for the helpful c section experiences. I'm a physician (no field close to OB, though) and I remember watching many c sections on my ob rotation in med school. It is the thought of being awake that terrifies me. I know too much. I've seen things.

I hear ya. I nearly lost my poo poo when I felt fluid running down my back while getting my epidural, thinking for a split second it was my CSF gushing out (it was water) - having just finished a year of anatomy poking needles into spinal cords and knowing too much about how very bad it would be if something went wrong.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Being a medical professional makes being a patient so much harder just because we’ve seen or have heard of all the stuff that can go wrong. Most of the time babies are born just fine, either by vag or c section, but the horror stories are always in our minds. I’m totally in the same boat, I was an ICU nurse and every now and then we would get moms from L&D for [various reasons that totally won’t ever happen to anyone ITT], and my best friend is a L&D nurse who tells me all her gory stories.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I used to work in a blood bank, so hemorrhage is always on my mind when it comes to L&D/postpartum. Coming from a medical background does make it extremely hard for me to understand the decision to home birth or use a detached birth center, just because of the what ifs.

Nosueck
Mar 14, 2010
Ah yes, yall understand then. I didn't see any bad outcomes fortunately during my rotation, even with emergency c sections. I actually cried a little every time they pulled the lil alien screamers out. The one thing that sticks out is a very enthusiastic attending who demanded that I put my hand on an atonic uterus (after the baby is removed the uterus contracts hard, but it takes a few minutes and if it doesn't happen there can be massive bleeding) to "never forget what that feels like!" I guess the intention was to not miss this diagnosis in a postpartum woman. BUT what I remember most, elbow deep in this woman's abdomen is feeling her aorta pulsations from the inside. I would prefer this not happen to me.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Being a healthcare professional and my experience in hospital the first time around is precisely why we sought to avoid intervention as far as humanly possible for our second. Even more so than for our first, which was already a drug free hands off birth. The longer I work in the system the more cynical I I've been getting to be honest. I'm hoping it's just our hospital, but yeah.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
What I took away from my professional experience with births (as a veterinarian, I have delivered the babies of a few different species, including by c-section), was that, no matter the species, birth is a disgusting process and I didn't want it anywhere near my house, and that's what I told anyone asking if we had considered a home-birth.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Ha, I went on my calving placement when I was about 25 weeks along; and when I had people ask if I was nervous about the birth I waved it away with "oh the [tiny purebred Jersey] cows basically sneezed them out it all looks very straight forward"

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Hi pregnancy thread, hopefully joining y'all by the end of the year, and I had a question--any recommendations on prenatal vitamins? Ideally available at Costco and not gummies. My gynecologist said they were all the same in her eyes as long as they have good amounts of folic acid and iron.

She did recommend gummies if the iron causes nausea, but I can't count on myself to remember to take vitamins if I don't use a daily pill organizer and I don't think gummies will with one. (If you have experience to the contrary I'm all ears.)

Thanks!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

small bird pudding posted:

Hi pregnancy thread, hopefully joining y'all by the end of the year, and I had a question--any recommendations on prenatal vitamins? Ideally available at Costco and not gummies. My gynecologist said they were all the same in her eyes as long as they have good amounts of folic acid and iron.

She did recommend gummies if the iron causes nausea, but I can't count on myself to remember to take vitamins if I don't use a daily pill organizer and I don't think gummies will with one. (If you have experience to the contrary I'm all ears.)

Thanks!

So I take the SmartyPants prenatals, which are gummies. I don't have an issue remembering to take them, because I store them with / next to my lunch. Cons: they don't have iron (which I didn't have a problem with anyways). Pros: they have methylated B vitamins, which I absorb better.

I take them pretty religiously, because if I don't then my fingernails turn into weak flakey crap that break off if I look at them hard.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Thanks!

My PCP actually prescribed prenatal vitamins because my insurance covered them. I didn’t like the smell or taste of them over the ones I had already purchased but free was free.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Costco brand gummies plus an iron pill fits the requirements. I also took the prescribed ones because it was $5/month for me and they didn't make me nauseous.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Thanks!

I take the NatureMade Prenatal Multi + DHA pills available at Costco. The pill coating makes them easier to swallow than some others I've tried, and as long as I take them with food they don't make me too queasy. Also, since it's Costco, if you hate them you can just return them :)

Have any of y'all had experiences with prenatal massages? I'm 26 weeks now and my left shoulderblade is in constant agony, I'm not sure if it's from sleeping on my side or just... being pregnant and having all my stuff moved around. I'm wondering how much discomfort relief I'd get from a massage; if it's just a few hours and then it'll hurt again, I'd rather use the gift card my mother-in-law gave me on a few pedicures instead.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I got one around 28 weeks and immediately scheduled another one in a month and a half after. It left me a little sore the next day but even a few weeks later I have less back and hip pain. The massage lady gave me a few tips for spots to work out with a tennis ball between appointments which has been very helpful (I can do my hip spots and my husband helps on my back). Honestly the best part was the cushion contraption they had that allowed me to lay on my stomach for most of the time. :sun:

cailleask
May 6, 2007

marchantia posted:

Honestly the best part was the cushion contraption they had that allowed me to lay on my stomach for most of the time. :sun:

That thing is AMAZING. 10/10, massage if 100% worth it even if all they do is leave you alone to lay on those cushions for an hour.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I also had a massage at 28 weeks and it was infinitely better than any massage I’ve had while not pregnant. I’m planning on getting another soon, maybe at 37ish weeks. When you call to make the appointment be sure to mention that you’re pregnant so they have the table ready to go. There are also massage therapists who have specialized training for pregnancy.

Edit: Re: iron. Constipation and hemorrhoids have been a big problem for me, and I was anemic so I needed iron. My midwife suggested Floradix as it is supposed to be more gentle. It doesn’t make me nauseated at all but it still slows things down, however it’s nowhere near as bad as the iron tabs. If anyone has digestion concerns and needs iron, give Floradix a try. It is expensive, but well worth protecting my butt from being in even worse shape.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 15, 2019

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Okay thanks y'all, I will make an appointment!

The iron also constipated the hell out of me and for anyone going on prenatals and trying to get pregnant I would recommend pre-emptively doing whatever you can for your diet to keep things moving. Start taking fiber supplements, eat your leafy greens, don't be like me and eat nothing but starch because it's all that interests you because of morning sickness and then go nine (9) days without pooping. After an aggressive course of Colace I've got a good routine of oatmeal and green tea with benefiber for breakfast every morning and then a normal morning poop and it's GREAT. Good to know Floradix is an option if things get worse in my third trimester!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I had a glass of pear juice every morning with breakfast and that kept things moving for me.

Nosueck
Mar 14, 2010
My constipation has (weirdly) IMPROVED as I've progressed - it was the absolute worst at the beginning of the second trimester. OB nurse told me to take miralax twice daily (when I was already taking it daily) and it just made me feel incredibly gross/bloated. Fiber supplements did nothing except increase bloat. Avoiding iron in the vitamins maybe(?) helped. Ultimately I had to take senna and use glycerin suppositories (I call them my "butt bullets") which were incredibly effective. It's gotten better now that I'm in 3rd trimester and have even less space! BODIES amirite.

Thanks for letting me get that out.

EDIT: Also, a plug for probiotics -- starting having daily Goodbelly or yogurt and that's really helped too.

Nosueck fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 16, 2019

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Anyone have experience with hyperemesis gravidarum? I'm reading through the whole thread (it's a convenient distraction, since I've caught up on every megathread I'd had bookmarked) but maybe someone has recent experience? (hopefully not, this is miserable and if I'd had it with my other two pregnancies I'd never have let it happen a third time)

At the moment I'm just taking a ton of B6 but since I've lost an alarming 11% of my pre-pregnancy weight my OB is "calling something in". (No idea what yet)

cailleask
May 6, 2007

zonohedron posted:

Anyone have experience with hyperemesis gravidarum? I'm reading through the whole thread (it's a convenient distraction, since I've caught up on every megathread I'd had bookmarked) but maybe someone has recent experience? (hopefully not, this is miserable and if I'd had it with my other two pregnancies I'd never have let it happen a third time)

At the moment I'm just taking a ton of B6 but since I've lost an alarming 11% of my pre-pregnancy weight my OB is "calling something in". (No idea what yet)

It's me! I had it with both pregnancies until 40 weeks. For the first 20, what I found most effective way to be on the biggest dose of diclegis, plus 4-8mg of zofran as needed, plus IV fluids every week or two. The IV fluids really made a difference, especially for the day or two following.

After 20 weeks, I was fine so long as I took my morning and night doses of Diclegis. I could otherwise go out and eat as normal.

Something to look out for, though, is if you spend a significant number of weeks vomiting in bed and being otherwise inactive, you may need some PT once you're up and better as you can have significant strength loss where you can least afford it (core, pelvis, back).

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I'm already taking 25mg of B6 thrice daily, and it kept me going for ten weeks but I haven't kept anything down since yesterday morning, barring two grapes and two ounces of rice krispies that I managed an hour ago. With my last pregnancy Diclegis made me dizzy and disoriented, but I guess I'd try it again...

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I'm lucky in that it never made me sleepy or otherwise disoriented. But I did find it vastly more effective than piecing together B6/unisom from separate pills. YMMV!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Update, in case anyone was wondering: my doctor called in two days of Zofran, which has been amazing and I've kept down five meals in a row (my stomach kind of hurts like I just made an unwise seventh trip to the buffet at Golden Corral, though!), and Diclegis to start once I'm out of Zofran (tonight).

Seriously, though, I was laughing uncontrollably just from the relief of being able to do things, any things, without crippling nausea. (Well, not any things; the bottle says I shouldn't drive on it, and it does make me feel a little spacey.)