Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
just a quick reminder not everyone's beaten this game yet so maybe dont forget to use your spoiler tags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game came out less than a week ago you loving idiots

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Spergatory posted:

Man, Vergil really stops loving around on SOS and above, doesn't he? An opening, an opening, my kingdom for a single opening!

You need to be smacked with a newspaper.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The "spoiler" character was literally in the trailers, but okay.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Spergatory posted:

shut up

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Haha I saw an ad for this and it’s just people whipping out devil arms in their everyday lives it’s p good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Spergatory posted:

the trailer itself had a spoiler warning on it

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hey i’m playing around with nero and hard way is loving bonkers good

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kaubocks posted:

hey i’m playing around with nero and hard way is loving bonkers good

Yeah I just went whatever until I got the advice to use it on furies. Now I use it on everyone and it also reminded me that I can (post game ability) loving wrassle a monster like devil Ric Flair

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man DMD difficulty on v stages is just the nightmare show and Mission 9 is especially just that

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
DMD on Nero stages so far has just been juggling poo poo in the air while holding down charge with the occasional rocket punch, and staring at my imaginary watch because nothing loving dies in a reasonable timeframe. Pretty sure that boss fight on M7 where the AI died halfway through had a future generic enemy with more health than the SoS final boss, sure felt like it at least

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My experience with Nero on higher difficulties is constantly moving in and out of Devil Trigger basically softening up the room before going game and executing everyone.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I always feel bad for Ninja Theory because if you dig deep (almost) every bad choice in that game was Capcom meddling. Apparently they wanted to make a proper DMC5 themselves and got shut down and told they had to reinvent the series to appeal to the west or what Capcom thought the west wanted at the time.

Taneem or whatever his name was being aggressive and defensive really didn't help but still v:shobon:v

On topic has anyone beat (Mission 8) Urizen 2 yet? I got him to like 15% of his life left but his crystal reforms after 10 seconds so I wound up fumbling super hard at the finish line

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 15, 2019

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

On topic has anyone beat (Mission 8) Urizen 2 yet? I got him to like 15% of his life left but his crystal reforms after 10 seconds so I wound up fumbling super hard at the finish line

Yeah and it's the same as the prologue if you win. Kinda disappointing considering the hassle, tbh. I was hoping for a little something extra.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I feel like one of the oddest feelings about DMC5 I had up to its release was thinking "is V's style going to take inspiration from Dragon's Dogma"? And now that I know his moveset I wish they cribbed some more of the raddest magic mechanics from that game, like running up your own icicle tendrils or the midair lock-on stuff the magick archer had or the guy who could create magic glyphs you could whack to cause them to fire shots.

Like not everything in DD was gonna translate with the lack of over the shoulder aiming but I thought Itsuno was pretty inspired in that game

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don’t really agree with the idea that Inafune’s ides of moving things to the west was dumb, things looked really bad for the Japanese gaming industry in those years and his plan actually worked at first with Dead Rising 2, a game just as good if not better than the first.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"It's a guitar that shoots bats... And that's lame"

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Do you unlock anything by beating either of the HoH difficulties?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah and it's the same as the prologue if you win. Kinda disappointing considering the hassle, tbh. I was hoping for a little something extra.

Laame.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My one gripe about this game is that, in a game that encourages retries once you really dig in, the placement of load times leaves something to be desired. Wish there was a faster way to retry a mission when you're trying to S rank.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RichterIX posted:

My one gripe about this game is that, in a game that encourages retries once you really dig in, the placement of load times leaves something to be desired. Wish there was a faster way to retry a mission when you're trying to S rank.

I'm gonna second this because god I am really tired of hearing "Come here" at the start of mission 10 every time before I can actually skip.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The loading ->cinematic level intro -> loading -> customization screen -> loading -> game is egregious, to be sure, and I wonder if that’s something the Capcom engine can patch. I didn’t notice long loads with RE2 at all (I know they are different games but still)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Doesn't annoy me nearly as much as the insanely godawful targeting system. Most of Nero's options for aggressive defense require a target, and in this game you have absolutely no control over what you target. I'd say it's probably the main difficulty of Nero on higher ranks, it's really really bad. Even stuff that should be super simple like the shooting the giant enemy crab's laser hands is more or less not functional since it's entirely random if it's even possible to target it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

An option to ask you if you want to watch it before it even starts loading would be great once you have completed the game once, assuming they can't fix the load times.

K8.0 posted:

Doesn't annoy me nearly as much as the insanely godawful targeting system. Most of Nero's options for aggressive defense require a target, and in this game you have absolutely no control over what you target.

RDR2 had a good lock on targeting system where you could adjust the bias for the lock on target between closest enemy regardless of direction(even if they were offscreen) or whatever was currently in your camera view. DMC5 could definitely use something like that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 15, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

K8.0 posted:

Doesn't annoy me nearly as much as the insanely godawful targeting system. Most of Nero's options for aggressive defense require a target, and in this game you have absolutely no control over what you target. I'd say it's probably the main difficulty of Nero on higher ranks, it's really really bad. Even stuff that should be super simple like the shooting the giant enemy crab's laser hands is more or less not functional since it's entirely random if it's even possible to target it.

Go try this out in the first level or two:

Stand in a room with bad guys and lock on to one. Notice how it’s the one closest to you? Now release lock on and go run across the room and try again, see how it’s still the one closest to you? That’s how the targeting system works.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only thing that bothers me about the game's menu/etc speed is that menu options aren't immediately selectable, anywhere, at all. There's a small buffer of about a second and a half before you can press any button on a menu, sometimes longer in the case of stuff like secret missions. It's really strange and I know why they did it (to keep a player from accidentally double-tapping their way into something they didn't wanna do) but it's so much longer than it needs to be.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nioh had a cool feature where you could go into the options and set the game to auto skip cutscenes you've already seen. I have no idea why no one else has stolen that yet, especially for a game like this that is all about replay value.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Load times on fine on PC but it's weird that every cutscene does make you watch it for a couple seconds before you can skip.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

Stand in a room with bad guys and lock on to one. Notice how it’s the one closest to you? Now release lock on and go run across the room and try again, see how it’s still the one closest to you? That’s how the targeting system works.

Yeah I got mad expecting it to choose the centre target but you don't smoke sexily unless you are in some evil poo poo's grill 24/7. I'm halfway through SOS and still duck up or get angry that I didn't target the right thing then I have to remind myself that targeting is just for combo input.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Bust Rodd posted:

The loading ->cinematic level intro -> loading -> customization screen -> loading -> game is egregious, to be sure, and I wonder if that’s something the Capcom engine can patch. I didn’t notice long loads with RE2 at all (I know they are different games but still)

I get the feeling it's more gameplay/interface design issues than some engine limitation. The amount of time you have to wait whenever you feel like selecting Give Up(instead of giving up orbs and continueing) is a bit much as well. And the game itself loads just fine, as you said.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Am I blind or is there also not a way to go into a customize menu from the main menu without loading into the void or a mission? Seemed weird because I needed to buy a skill to be able to do one of the secret missions but it doesn't let you go there after choosing a secret mission from the menu and I couldn't see it anywhere else.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Bust Rodd posted:

It'd be poo poo even if that was how it worked, but it's not true. Depending on camera placement, certain enemies will either be low priority even if they're right next to you (and on screen) or not even in the list of allowable targets.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

RDR2 had a good lock on targeting system where you could adjust the bias for the lock on target between closest enemy regardless of direction(even if they were offscreen) or whatever was currently in your camera view. DMC5 could definitely use something like that.

That would be nice but is overkill. They just need to make the loving button work when you're not standing still though.

Its fundamentally broken. Extra config options don't matter until they fix the base system.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

The only thing that bothers me about the game's menu/etc speed is that menu options aren't immediately selectable, anywhere, at all. There's a small buffer of about a second and a half before you can press any button on a menu, sometimes longer in the case of stuff like secret missions. It's really strange and I know why they did it (to keep a player from accidentally double-tapping their way into something they didn't wanna do) but it's so much longer than it needs to be.

This drives me insane. The menus are indeed very laggy.

I end up double tapping and then it takes me to a single tap because I didn't anticipate the lag. Its just bad.

Oh god I hope ImpAtom doesn't think I'm saying the game sucks... dmc5 is great as it is for the 10th time. Great game. Small nitpicks as with any game. Whew.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Ha, DMC5 players are now as bad as ravers in terms of neighbours.

https://old.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK/comments/b1edv8/neighbour_playing_rave_music_at_night_keeping_me/

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm enjoying the game a lot but yeah the loading stuff makes me want to shelve the game for a while until a patch addresses it somehow

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ah gently caress, looks like Mission 12 is as rough as Mission 10 for S-ranking.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
So is this better than DMC3? Trying to decide if I *really* need another action game a week before sekiro, but I'm tempted. I suppose I haven't played 4 also, is this better than that?

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

So is this better than DMC3? Trying to decide if I *really* need another action game a week before sekiro, but I'm tempted. I suppose I haven't played 4 also, is this better than that?

Yes, and yes. 4 is a great game and super worth playing but 5 is probably one of if not the greatest character action game ever made. I'm excited for Sekiro too but you'd be doing yourself a disservice by skipping dmc5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This is the best DMC game to date. 4 is worth playing too because the Special Edition has a ton of chars to pick from.

5>4>3