Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Cliche fitness/diet advice that doesn't help anybody because it is too vague or too low impact to have any actual effect on your looks or health in the long run. Bonus points if its really loving obvious like eating less pizza and more salad. Thanks a lot, I did not know that!

To go down in weight you need specific plans for what you eat and you gotta stick to it. Anything else makes you go back to old habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Take the stairs instead of the elevator!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Midig posted:

Cliche fitness/diet advice that doesn't help anybody because it is too vague or too low impact to have any actual effect on your looks or health in the long run. Bonus points if its really loving obvious like eating less pizza and more salad. Thanks a lot, I did not know that!

To go down in weight you need specific plans for what you eat and you gotta stick to it. Anything else makes you go back to old habits.

Agree, I have done my fair share of reading about eating and training and know what works and what probably won't.
Diets in the long run are bad for most people since the idea to only lose weight for a short time to your ideal weight and then just bouncing back to your old poo poo food habits is a toxic cycle.

What most people should learn/understand that long term change is a lifestyle change, but that is hard so they rather go on a smoothie detox or whatever.

I just nod and smile whenever I am in a discussion with friends who talk about their last failed attempt to lose 10lbs to fit into a dress for a marriage they were invited to.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I hate that word a lot too if you say you are on a diet you already admitted you are going back to old habits. Personally for me replacing soda with sugar (used to drink 1-2 cans a day) with something else and adding vegetables with dinner, adding protein filled lunch and breakfast will help me with going down in weight.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Helios Grime posted:

Agree, I have done my fair share of reading about eating and training and know what works and what probably won't.
Diets in the long run are bad for most people since the idea to only lose weight for a short time to your ideal weight and then just bouncing back to your old poo poo food habits is a toxic cycle.

What most people should learn/understand that long term change is a lifestyle change, but that is hard so they rather go on a smoothie detox or whatever.

I just nod and smile whenever I am in a discussion with friends who talk about their last failed attempt to lose 10lbs to fit into a dress for a marriage they were invited to.

Yes, it really is that simple - exercise and watch what you eat. But tell someone that and they look at you like you just said you were going to campaign for Trump 2020.

Everybody wants to believe that there's that ONE THING that they can eat or drink that is going to make them lose 20 pounds in a week, and that ONE THING that they can do to get the body of a fitness model. It doesn't help that there's a billion dollar industry reinforcing that belief.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Whole lotta cabbage soup diet denialism in this thread

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Increasing your fruit/vegetable intake whilst decreasing meat consumption also leads to fuller and shinier and bouncier hair/poops

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Brawnfire posted:

Given this is SA I'm more than a little hesitant... I've already had my share of new ones be-torn.

Would you rather see samples of my illustration style (poster/cartoon/kid art)? Or the dorky abstract paintings I'm talking about shopping around in this post? They're rather different from each other.

both!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well, I'll try to keep it to a minimum since this literally isn't the thread for it, but I do children's illustration mainly, working towards refining my portfolio for kid's books primarily. (Did this as a gift for my baby nephew.)

Here's a Christmas card commission I did.

Here's some shots of like, 5 out of the 15 of my Greek myth abstract series, which is what I'm trying to either display or get someone to tell me to gently caress off with it.

https://imgur.com/a/1jTav6k

I have better pics of those but they're on a flash drive at my house so...:effort:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Your art is really good (both styles), and I hope that the reason they didn't take it is simply that they didn't feel like it fit their theme. If that's not the reason, then they have no taste. I took a few upper level art history classes in college, so I'm definitely an expert on this.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

ShadeofBlue posted:

Your art is really good (both styles), and I hope that the reason they didn't take it is simply that they didn't feel like it fit their theme. If that's not the reason, then they have no taste. I took a few upper level art history classes in college, so I'm definitely an expert on this.

Thank you, and actually since the last post on this topic I prodded the gallery owner a little bit, and they got a little flippant with me saying they're mega busy and if I were serious that I'd come in and meet them in person. Which, while not a bad point, seems presumptuous. If you put out your call to art on a certain social media, expect the messages to be on there, and respond with SOMETHING upon receipt.

IDK, maybe I'm the kind of guy to throw words at a problem until it disappears, but I like to tell people what's up in plain speech.

We've since made amends and he's asked me to come by with a digital portfolio, but I'm not 100% if I want to do that now. I've got other friends with galleries and cafes and bars, I'm sure I'll find a good home for fifteen weird squares about Greek myth.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
"Don't block the intersection" means...don't loving block it. Stop it.

The first car that's just a car length or less sticking out, fine, you misjudged the line or the rear end in a top hat in front of you didn't pull up all the way. But the 2nd-5th people can gently caress off for making me miss my turn 3 cars back on a green arrow left turn.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

"Don't block the intersection" means...don't loving block it. Stop it.

The first car that's just a car length or less sticking out, fine, you misjudged the line or the rear end in a top hat in front of you didn't pull up all the way. But the 2nd-5th people can gently caress off for making me miss my turn 3 cars back on a green arrow left turn.

Sometimes I wish I could be deputized and hand out traffic violations when people do lovely things like this. Don't block the box, assholes!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DizzyBum posted:

Sometimes I wish I could be deputized and hand out traffic violations when people do lovely things like this. Don't block the box, assholes!

Being deputized as petty tyrant of the road would be one of the most cathartic jobs imagineable

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Handing out violations like that makes you a cop and gently caress the police

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I was thinking more like make it legal to floor it and tbone the heck out of people like that. Yeah you might get seriously maimed/killed too but hey, sacrifices have to be made if we want civility on the roads.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I was thinking more like make it legal to floor it and tbone the heck out of people like that. Yeah you might get seriously maimed/killed too but hey, sacrifices have to be made if we want civility on the roads.

I'd watch this Black Mirror episode.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you die in the line of traffic justice then what are they going to charge you with?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you die in the line of traffic justice then what are they going to charge you with?

being a patriot and your family gets a medal, preferably made from the melted metals from the offender's vehicle.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Trafficking

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'd vote for you.

There should be traffic cops in grocery stores. The number of people who love to get to the center of an aisle, park their cart sideways and crouch in the gap that's left to examine, in detail, the subtle nuances of different brands of canned gravy need to fined or at the very least shot. How can you be so unaware of your surroundings? Do you think the entire store is just for your private perusal? Do you not notice the traffic jam of carts going in both directions lined up all the way to ends of the aisle? gently caress you and the 7 slack-jawed family members you brought with you!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

At our store in the evenings there's a cop posted in the entryway whose duty seems to be entirely staring down at his phone. He doesn't even glance up when people come out. Go give a loitering ticket to those cart people or the people who take 20 minutes on their deli order because they don't decide anything before getting the employee's attention, or anything really, you're useless except for making me wonder how bad you have to screw up in our police department to get assigned grocery store duty.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

being a patriot and your family gets a medal, preferably made from the melted metals from the offender's vehicle.

I meant right now, but I’m in

Also, apparently wal mart premises are statistically very high violent crime areas. Usually the parking lots or backs but in the stores as well.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I meant right now, but I’m in

Also, apparently wal mart premises are statistically very high violent crime areas. Usually the parking lots or backs but in the stores as well.

I can confirm that a lot of drugs are being dealt in basically every Wal-Mart parking lot ever

So if you ever wonder why there's like one guy sitting in his car in the back of the lot, wonder no more.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Riatsala posted:

I can confirm that a lot of drugs are being dealt in basically every Wal-Mart parking lot ever

So if you ever wonder why there's like one guy sitting in his car in the back of the lot, wonder no more.

There's a guy who does that in a highschool parking lot near me. I know that because he tried to get me to pick up there the one time I called him.

No.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

There's a guy who does that in a highschool parking lot near me. I know that because he tried to get me to pick up there the one time I called him.

No.

That's a great way to get extra/more serious charges tacked on if you're caught, I'm guessing

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Riatsala posted:

That's a great way to get extra/more serious charges tacked on if you're caught, I'm guessing

Oh yeah. There's signs saying as much pretty much everywhere around where he lurked. I don't know if the extra danger drove down competition or what.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

maybe he figured it was so obvious the cops wouldn't even think to look there because they assume nobody's that stupid.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Cops found a meth lab in the sewers under my local Walmart.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Right after high school, one person I knew would only sell after dark in the parking lot of a local preschool.

It was the dumbest poo poo. Like you’re picking the sketchiest place possible and if you get caught, step one will be confessing that you sold weed and shrooms and never diddled a kid.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sharing images by taking a screenshot of it instead of just sharing the original image should be a universally bannable thing on every site. Something that was originally a 20 kilobyte PNG ends being a several megabyte JPEG that's covered with phone notification icons from 8 different people and has been recompressed so many times you can't even make out what it is. It's like having that one boss that would print out screenshots of error messages on their computer so they could scan the printout and fax it to you except now everybody does it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Mar 17, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Agreed, and can I just saw to the creators of the Awful app, being able to upload a raw image to Imgur just from the url is vastly improving my daily shitposting experience.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Clothes that are handwash only. Ain't nobody got time for that poo poo!

Stores that have a skeleton crew manning the checkouts during slower times of the day, but no self-checkout machines. Yeah one or two people can handle most things, but then you get an old lady bitching that her coupons didn't print out, and then you have to call the manager and they open another register to go through the line and the next person has a return so now TWO registers are tied up and then they FINALLY call a third person down so you can just buy your one loving item and get on with your day.

No, this exact thing didn't happen to me today. Why do you ask?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate when a family thing ruins an otherwise good mood. I'm having a fantastic month, my LPs are nearing completion I'm looking at earning a huge amount more than normal due to actually doing overtime this month, some shows I like are airing again and I've finally bought a new satchel and have a new stovetop/hob on the way because the gasman has confirmed my current one is old and knackered, so it should be an awesome month. However I got a text about some family drama that I refuse to get involved in and now it's spoiled things. Now the month is only "decent".

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Mar 17, 2019

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Forgetting something at the grocery store checkout, not noticing until you get home, and having to awkwardly go back to retrieve it since you paid for it and it's the principle of the thing. It's only happened twice in my life and was equally annoying/embarassing each time.

Silver Falcon posted:

Clothes that are handwash only. Ain't nobody got time for that poo poo!
My favorite is when I notice something is supposed to be handwash only after I've already sent it through the washing machine a couple times.

Makes you wonder how important the handwash-only is supposed to be. :thunk: (To be fair, I wash everything in cold water only and usually line dry, which is less rough on clothes to start with)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

my mom always freaks out when i wash colors with whites, but seriously, i've been doing that for years and all my clothes are fine. Clothes rules are like food expiration dates. Most of the time if you ignore them you'll be perfectly fine, but sometimes you aren't. I'm not paying a dry cleaner to clean my poo poo every week though, i don't have time for that, i'm rolling the dice. Can just buy new clothes if they get ruined.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
IIRC old clothes dyes used to bleed a lot more, and the 'don't wash colors with whites' rule hasn't changed to reflect that dyes suck less now.

Most color bleeding happens in the first couple washes anyway, so if you really care you can just wash something individually the first few times. But I don't, and it's been fine, so :v:.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Winter coats and suit pieces are the only things I dry clean. Oh, and some old rear end wool sweaters that used to be my grandpas. Everything else goes in together in random heaps, cold. Seems fine.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Whole lotta cabbage soup diet denialism in this thread

Oh god. I hate cabbage and, by extension, cabbage soup. The two months or so my wife was making and eating that poo poo every day were highly upsetting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Riatsala posted:

I'd vote for you.

There should be traffic cops in grocery stores. The number of people who love to get to the center of an aisle, park their cart sideways and crouch in the gap that's left to examine, in detail, the subtle nuances of different brands of canned gravy need to fined or at the very least shot. How can you be so unaware of your surroundings? Do you think the entire store is just for your private perusal? Do you not notice the traffic jam of carts going in both directions lined up all the way to ends of the aisle? gently caress you and the 7 slack-jawed family members you brought with you!

Yes, they do. Especially if they are over the age of 60.