Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

muscles like this! posted:

Caught the end of The Fifth Element on TV tonight and it reminds me, the rest of the movie is really good but man that ending sucks. The whole Korben/Leeloo thing has no basis in anything that happens earlier in the film and feels completely unearned.

It's a metaphor for the director's love of forcing inexperienced childlike women to have sex with him because he has power over them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Caught the end of The Fifth Element on TV tonight and it reminds me, the rest of the movie is really good but man that ending sucks. The whole Korben/Leeloo thing has no basis in anything that happens earlier in the film and feels completely unearned.

On a rewatch there’s a 50-50 chance I turn it off when they leave Phloston. The rest of the movie is just downhill from there.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Uh excuse me they're husbNd and wife

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeah, its a typical 'there has to be a romance' hollywood cliche shoehorn'd in where it doesn't fit.

I find myself actively cheering when a male-female partnership doesn't end with a makeout in a movie.

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's a metaphor for the director's love of forcing inexperienced childlike women to have sex with him because he has power over them

:yikes:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The 5th element is not a good movie

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I love some good age-gap hollywood romance (20 year gap in this instance.)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Luc Besson had a daughter with a sixteen-year-old girl who later played the Diva in the Fifth Element. I don't know if Besson is specifically a lech or if it is just a french thing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There’s also that song at the end where a dude tries to sound like Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins, splits the difference, and sounds like poo poo.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Luc Besson had a daughter with a sixteen-year-old girl who later played the Diva in the Fifth Element. I don't know if Besson is specifically a lech or if it is just a french thing.
We decided to watch Leon for the first time in twenty years a while back and I was all "oh sweet, there's a director's cut" and you know how sometimes you watch a director's cut and think "man, all this extra stuff is great, I have no idea why they cut it from the theatrical release"? This was the mirror loving opposite of that. :yikes:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The moon was too big in the Umbrella Academy finale.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pilchenstein posted:

We decided to watch Leon for the first time in twenty years a while back and I was all "oh sweet, there's a director's cut" and you know how sometimes you watch a director's cut and think "man, all this extra stuff is great, I have no idea why they cut it from the theatrical release"? This was the mirror loving opposite of that. :yikes:

According to imdb, Liv Tyler was considered for Mathilda, but was ‘too old’ for the role at 15. And the original screenplay had Leon walking in on Mathilda in the shower. We live in the least creepy Leon timeline.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

To be fair Leon had the mind of a child so falling in love with a 12 year old girl is kosher. In France.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zaphod42 posted:

Really? Its not too hard to imagine that post apocalypse = future technology which lets you do things that aren't possible now.
Seems weird to me that you'd be like "intergalactic warp starship enterprise: Sure thing! But a rolling city? No way!"

The part where things start to go off the walls is that cities that drive around and consume other cities for resources can't possibly be sustainable. Its the same math that makes pyramid schemes have such limited life span.
If you have multiple big cities hunting smaller cities themselves hunting each other, there should be like 2 cities left after like 7 days. There's no way you could actually have like, a society, that became accustomed to that lifestyle. It wouldn't last long enough.

You can get around a few of the problems by hand-waiving "magic technology", which the movie does itself depict there being a good amount of fairly magical technology before mankind nukes itself back to the stone age. But its still tough. It'd work better if there was some naturally occurring resource like Tiberium that was created by the nuclear war, and the small cities go around farming up the Tiberium, while the large cities simply consume smaller cities as its more cost-effective. That could kinda work?

From what I've heard the book does a ton more world-building and its actually pretty interesting. But its also YA fiction so don't expect miracles.

Funny thing is that kind of the point is that the moving cities AREN'T sustainable, despite most of the people on them firmly believing it's the only proper way to live, at the time of the books there's barely any smaller cities left and it's mostly a stand-off between the surviving big ones.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Also in Leon: The Professional it's implied Leon left Italy due to issues over a girl. Knowing Besson's like of young women makes it even more :allbuttons:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah, in Mortal Engines municipal dawinism is going away, simply because there are no more big cities left to gobble up. The little mining colony that does get nommed in the beginning represents a more mad max type philosophy to survival, where smaller communities trade with each other but individually are less likely to get eaten.

They also mention how the little town that got eaten would only sustain London for a week at best. The 'Lord Mayor' complains that it isn't worth the effort to chase it down.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mu Zeta posted:

To be fair Leon had the mind of a child so falling in love with a 12 year old girl is kosher. In France.

Jean Reno played Leon like that because he didn't want to play him like an adult as in the script.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I mean in both cuts, Mathilda's affections are one way. Leon seemed appropriately weirded out by the idea, last time I watched. So at least it's only kinda super uncomfortable.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Don't you know that the French are more sexually liberated than we stuffy American?

just to be clear I'm joking

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Really? Its not too hard to imagine that post apocalypse = future technology which lets you do things that aren't possible now.
Seems weird to me that you'd be like "intergalactic warp starship enterprise: Sure thing! But a rolling city? No way!"
I don't have a problem with a rolling city. I have a problem with a train of logic that goes "We've run out of resources, therefore the best solution is to engage in possibly the most resource-hungry engineering project ever conceived of by man."

Weirdly, this is similar to one of the many (many, many, many) problems Star Trek: Voyager had. The show establishes early on that the ship has limited fuel, thus limited power for all its systems, but never does anything with this concept. They never run out of power for the phasers and shields, never find they don't have the energy to transport an away team back from a planet, or suffer any problems as a result of low fuel/power. The only drawback is they have to limit use of the replicators, so sometimes an episode begins with "We're on planet Gibbledy Alpha to harvest some food," instead of "We've been sent to investigate planet Gibbledy Alpha," before going into a rejected TNG script.

Basically, I hate when a movie/TV show/book/whatever has a potentially interesting concept that it just uses as a vague backstory for the latest rehash of old crap.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Sunswipe posted:

I don't have a problem with a rolling city. I have a problem with a train of logic that goes "We've run out of resources, therefore the best solution is to engage in possibly the most resource-hungry engineering project ever conceived of by man."

See also: Pacific Rim.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Sunswipe posted:

Weirdly, this is similar to one of the many (many, many, many) problems Star Trek: Voyager had. The show establishes early on that the ship has limited fuel, thus limited power for all its systems, but never does anything with this concept. They never run out of power for the phasers and shields, never find they don't have the energy to transport an away team back from a planet, or suffer any problems as a result of low fuel/power. The only drawback is they have to limit use of the replicators, so sometimes an episode begins with "We're on planet Gibbledy Alpha to harvest some food," instead of "We've been sent to investigate planet Gibbledy Alpha," before going into a rejected TNG script.

Basically, I hate when a movie/TV show/book/whatever has a potentially interesting concept that it just uses as a vague backstory for the latest rehash of old crap.

I think show runners wanted to tell those stories but the suits wanted "TNG but far away". They ignored DS9 which is why actually told different stories.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Aleph Null posted:

I think show runners wanted to tell those stories but the suits wanted "TNG but far away". They ignored DS9 which is why actually told different stories.

Ronald Moore was a writer on Voyager and he’d bitch in his podcast about how no one cared about their ‘limited’ resources. Then he made Battlestar Galactica where the fleet is slowly ground to dust through attrition.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is that kind of the point is that the moving cities AREN'T sustainable, despite most of the people on them firmly believing it's the only proper way to live, at the time of the books there's barely any smaller cities left and it's mostly a stand-off between the surviving big ones.

That's true, and there is an anti-traction league. But still, the point is you couldn't have a culture get used to that lifestyle. They would all eat each other after literally like 7 days total.

If there's no small cities left, how do the big cities sustain themselves? The whole thing should collapse real fast.

Panfilo posted:

They also mention how the little town that got eaten would only sustain London for a week at best.

A week per small city I guess does drag things out for at least a month, but seems like its supposed to be that they've lived that way for a few years. You need time to adapt all that technology to moving around which doesn't make sense if you only have a month before the whole thing's over. But like I was saying before, you could kinda just say there was already some kind of huge-earth-mover vehicle tech laying around, and they just kinda repurposed it. But it still just isn't remotely practical.

Sunswipe posted:

Yeah I agree with that completely. Its just not remotely a sustainable or sensible system. "Lets feed off other cities for... a week!" is a bad plan.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Mar 15, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
So, it's capitalism.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm not sure it's meant to be realistic.

I've heard the movie itself is pretty dire but I like the concept of the process of cities growing bigger and swallowing up the smaller communities around it being depicted in the silliest most literal way possible.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sunswipe posted:

They totally did that! In that one episode!

That was then fixed to have never happened by the literal Time Police.

Such lazy loving storytelling.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

There was a sortof prequel book that covered this. Future apocalypse nomad raiders teamed up with an insane genetically engineered super scientist. So instead of just burning London down, that is what happened.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

To show that a bar has a rough reputation, a fight always breaks out when the characters enter.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Krispy Wafer posted:

Then he made Battlestar Galactica where the fleet is slowly ground to dust through attrition.

Whilst still having the resources to support press conferences full of shouting journalists (one of my many IIMM’s with BSG, the human race is reduced to about 50,000 individuals and there’s still even journalists rather than a bulletin).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

oldpainless posted:

To show that a bar has a rough reputation, a fight always breaks out when the characters enter.

One Discworld book mocks the merry hell out of this.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re French Film creepiness man/child relationships:

I always found the relationship between Ron Pearlman and the little girl in City of Lost Children to be extremely unsettling.

If I remember right, he calls her his "petite soeur" which means little sister, but still it was weird and creepy.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Memento posted:

They totally did that! In that one episode!

That was then fixed to have never happened by the literal Time Police.

Such lazy loving storytelling.

What episode was that? I was thinking "Year of Hell" which was pretty good but i don't think there was Time Police in that one.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shai-Hulud posted:

What episode was that? I was thinking "Year of Hell" which was pretty good but i don't think there was Time Police in that one.

That's the episode I was thinking of, but you're right, I looked it up, that was hand-waved away in another way to make sure there were no lasting consequences for anyone.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I mean in both cuts, Mathilda's affections are one way. Leon seemed appropriately weirded out by the idea, last time I watched. So at least it's only kinda super uncomfortable.

Besson wanted to have a "love" scene between the two, but Portman's parents and Reno thankfully put the kibosh on that. And of course, Besson was going to have Mathilda be the initiator because that made it "right" in his sick mind.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Regarding mortal machines I was blindsided at the end when lead lady told crazy robot man that she "loved him" regarding the leading man. There wasn't any build up to it at all, no Chemistry at all between them. The movie can be enjoyable if you watch it as a b-movie, so many cliche lines.

It does suck the city vs city action is almost a non-point though. It's like making a movie about mechs and only having one giant robot fight.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Shnag posted:

There wasn't any build up to it at all, no Chemistry at all between them.
There can’t be less than there was between Neo and Trinity.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I see that IIMM and raise you the power couple of Padme and Anakin.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BrigadierSensible posted:

Re French Film creepiness man/child relationships:

I always found the relationship between Ron Pearlman and the little girl in City of Lost Children to be extremely unsettling.

If I remember right, he calls her his "petite soeur" which means little sister, but still it was weird and creepy.

It's been years since I watched it, but he definitely had the mind of a child.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Torquemada posted:

Whilst still having the resources to support press conferences full of shouting journalists (one of my many IIMM’s with BSG, the human race is reduced to about 50,000 individuals and there’s still even journalists rather than a bulletin).

If only they had the Caprica NextDoor app, then people could report on Cylon/coyote sightings on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Aleph Null posted:

It's been years since I watched it, but he definitely had the mind of a child.

hmm i wonder how many french movies there are starring big men with minds of children and actual children