Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I mean, I’m all for giving the alien franchise to promising up and coming directors. That was more or less the approach with the first four films after all and it was great to see each artist bring their own style to the franchise, even when it floundered.

But this just looks like fan films slavishly regurgitating Ridley’s original approach? I mean perhaps I’m being too harsh given it’s just a teaser, but they seem to be promising a nostalgia rehash. (And the recent animated IGN miniseries doesn’t give me any confidence in the Fox execs behind this year’s multimedia “revitalization”).

Say what you will about Prometheus, but at least Ridley tried to do something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I want Blomkamp's Alien movie.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

So it's a new Captain Marvel trailer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Follow the link in the description. It appears these shorts are already on the Alien Anthology channel.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

...who?

...who?

...who?

...who?

...who?

...who?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

...who?

...who?

...who?

...who?

...who?

...who?

That's the idea

I wonder if this is part of some broader initiative, since Pixar just started releasing a bunch of shorts they produced with a bunch of young unknown artists

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jedit posted:

Follow the link in the description. It appears these shorts are already on the Alien Anthology channel.

Hm, you sure? I'm only seeing the 6-episode Isolation mini which is a different thing.

And yeah, I'm looking forward to these as fun novelties but I don't expect them to have any sort of depth, nor do I expect them to step outside the box of the first two films and feel like they're adding to this universe.

Even if you don't like Prometheus or Covenant you've gotta admit they don't suffer from the same creatively-bankrupt problems as most sequels/prequels.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, so to clarify: these apparently look like fan films because they literally are. Fox accepted fan pitch submissions from around the world and then accepted a few winners to make theirs a reality.

That’s cool enough for said fans I suppose.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, so to clarify: these apparently look like fan films because they literally are. Fox accepted fan pitch submissions from around the world and then accepted a few winners to make theirs a reality.

That’s cool enough for said fans I suppose.

Oh.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

teagone posted:

I want Blomkamp's Alien movie.

but he would just make the aliens black bleck people

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

Good point! Since they're likely heading into the quantum realm to time travel backwards into the past with those getups.

How would heading into the quantum realm let them travel back in time besides *hand waves* sciencey reasons? Nothing like that has ever been brought up.

(And yes, I know, nothing in the MCU actually makes sense. But that would be a pretty hard left turn for what they've established.)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I love how those descriptions try to be mysterious about what's going to happen, oooh will the ominous danger be...the alien????

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

thrawn527 posted:

How would heading into the quantum realm let them travel back in time besides *hand waves* sciencey reasons? Nothing like that has ever been brought up.

(And yes, I know, nothing in the MCU actually makes sense. But that would be a pretty hard left turn for what they've established.)

https://www.thewrap.com/ant-man-wasp-mid-credits-scene-explained-time-vortex/

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh, gently caress, that's right, I forgot about that one line in a mid-credits scene. Yeah, this is totally what's going to happen, my mistake.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Prometheus and Covenant owned. :colbert:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MonsieurChoc posted:

thats a bit much. they had some great elements both of them, but also some terrible, and they definitely didnt own. say theyre "pretty good" and ill agree.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

That... is not a good trailer.

Good instinct to use footage from the first films and lean on nostalgia, but the rest of it is just limp, weirdly paced, and poorly edited. I know they're trying to sell emotion and characters more than the big moments, but that did not feel like a trailer for the end to a massive series of blockbusters. It felt like a fan trailer from someone who just graduated from AMVs.
Bold move to go all Schindlers List with your superhero extravaganza.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Prometheus owned, Covenant was pretty good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Covenant's the better of the two for me due to the full distilled madness of David.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Covenant's the better of the two for me due to the full distilled madness of David.

totally fair

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Same, also I felt crew stupidity came off better in Covenant than Prometheus.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MonsieurChoc posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i liked the part where they opened the pod inside the cave and the youngins came out

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

covenant and prometheus are fine but having to constantly compare both movies to alien(s) don’t do either any favors

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CelticPredator posted:

I feel like every time someone mentions Covenant I look up the flute scene again. Such a joy to watch, such a sinister insight into David... and so silly to watch Fassbender play with himself.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 15, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

QuoProQuid posted:

covenant and prometheus are fine but having to constantly compare both movies to alien(s) don’t do either any favors

no! everything must be compared at all times! forever! aaaaaaaaaaa

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mierenneuker posted:

the flute scene. so silly to watch Fassbender play with himself.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you want that scene to be nothing but sexual innuendo, it will be.

"Watch me, I'll do the fingering."

*Giger watches down from the abyss and a tear falls from his eye (an actual eye)*

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 16, 2019

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mierenneuker posted:

*Giger watches down from the abyss and a tear falls from his eye (an actual eye)*

Like the crew in Master and Commander. Every time they're playing music in the books or the movie they're actually having hot sex.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

The entire audience I watched it with definitely wanted that moment to be.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/LeoDiCaprio/status/1107623909581451264

No trailer, but what is up with Brad Pitt in this poster? The level of photoshop is unsettling.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There are probably like ten different people on Brad Pitt's team that have to give their okay to his likeness approval.

Sometimes actors are awesome and want their pictures to look like them, and sometimes they ask for things to be brushed up. You do it enough times and you suddenly have a different person. Brad Pitt himself probably likes the way he looks in that because the last person who should be giving likeness approval is the person who only sees himself in the mirror flipped around and filtered through layers of emotional bias.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
kiimo—any insight into video post-processing on aging actors? I've heard here and there about productions using wrinkle-removal tech but have no idea how common or extensive it is. Would Pitt's team have any sort of control over that sort of thing for the trailers or would that be limited to the film itself?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

feedmyleg posted:

kiimo—any insight into video post-processing on aging actors? I've heard here and there about productions using wrinkle-removal tech but have no idea how common or extensive it is. Would Pitt's team have any sort of control over that sort of thing for the trailers or would that be limited to the film itself?

We had a discussion in this thread about it earlier, but it's unlikely any actor has deaging as part of a contract on the video side. It's extensive and hard and expensive and likely only a part of a movie's budget when it's a specific part of the story. It'd cost millions just for a single actor to be deaged throughout a movie.

Maybe for their posters but I seriously doubt for the entirety of a movie.

As for that Brad Pitt pic, I think his sideburns are causing an unsettling angularity of his face that is making it offputting. In larger versions he looks fine.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Right not to mention the post production is almost always behind on the rest of the SFX trying to look passable. Imagine dedicating the staff on de-aging Christoph Waltz in Alita while simultaneously scrambling to make Alita look real during Eyegate.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

thrawn527 posted:

No trailer, but what is up with Brad Pitt in this poster? The level of photoshop is unsettling.

I thought it was Scott Bakula.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He looks like Brad Pitt :shrug:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think it’s mostly his hair and clothes that are throwing me off. I don’t think his face looks any more photoshopped than Leo’s.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
His body is incredibly thin and it's off-putting I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It looks like an EW cover