Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

we got us a Walter White situation, esp with regards to the women in his life who get sick of his poo poo
The show was completely right in season 5 about itself and how audiences respond to flawed male characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I would say that Diane decision to show Bojack she knew what he did, by writing a scene based on what happened in New Mexico was extremely hosed up. Not because it hurt "poor boj", but because turning other people pain into a weapon with out their knowledge or permission is incredibly cruel. What the hell do Charolette and Penny feel when they find out a tramatic event was turned into fodder for a lovely streaming drama.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I dont know posted:

I would say that Diane decision to show Bojack she knew what he did, by writing a scene based on what happened in New Mexico was extremely hosed up. Not because it hurt "poor boj", but because turning other people pain into a weapon with out their knowledge or permission is incredibly cruel. What the hell do Charolette and Penny feel when they find out a tramatic event was turned into fodder for a lovely streaming drama.
This is something I hadn't considered and I hope they address it next season.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bojack Monopoly is a lovely pointless tie-in released to make money and that is why it's absolutely perfect for the show.

It should have been "Horsin Around" themed tho.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Bojack Monopoly is a lovely pointless tie-in released to make money and that is why it's absolutely perfect for the show.

Instead of being agents the players should be paparazzi, and each square is another embarrassing, unethical, or illegal thing Bojack did. Baltic Avenue is "Stole muffins from Neal McBeal the Navy Seal" and Boardwalk is "The Penny Incident"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

A Horsin' Around themed monopoly that's deliberately kind of dumb and full of unfunny in-jokes for a show that doesn't actually exist would've been way too clever and people might've actually wanted to buy it.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
The Bojack people are coming out with another show set in a separate universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YExrjQSKOUc

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/lisadraws/status/1106237080483422208

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It looks like a thinly veiled further adventures of Sextina Aquifina and I am extremely down for that

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Megera posted:

ooo I hope this is good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Looks like it could be a Futurama to Bojack's The Simpsons. And seems they're specifically using birds rather than Bojack's variety of animals and then some, though that might just be the main characters.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Looks like it could be a Futurama to Bojack's The Simpsons. And seems they're specifically using birds rather than Bojack's variety of animals and then some, though that might just be the main characters.

There's a caterpiller, a fox and a plant, but it does seem to be mostly birds.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Megera posted:

Man this is really gonna piss off a certain subset of Bojack's audience.

Good.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think it looks kind of awful, but then... so does BoJack in its promos. They aren't very good at marketing these shows.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

PostNouveau posted:

There's a caterpiller, a fox and a plant, but it does seem to be mostly birds.

Are they running out of horse jokes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Billzasilver posted:

Are they running out of horse jokes

Neigh!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lurdiak posted:

Man this is really gonna piss off a certain subset of Bojack's audience.

Good.

Wait who would this piss off

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm really looking forward to this

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Wait who would this piss off

manchildren

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Do they even count?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I dont know posted:

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is something I hadn't considered and I hope they address it next season.

Yeah, Diane explicitly exposing someone else's trauma in such a public way is the worst thing she's ever done. Forget Bojack, this isn't about him, this is about Penny and her maybe not wanting her past broadcast for the world to see. Can you imagine turning on the tv and seeing the story of the time you almost got statutory raped being told by the guy who almost statutory raped you? Now you have to deal with all those awful memories again and worry about whether or not the this all somehow gets traced back to you. Penny isn't a celebrity, she's a regular person just trying to live her life and shouldn't forcibly be put in a position where she has to deal with any media circus bullshit.

That wasn't Diane's story to tell, and I kept waiting for the show to acknowledge that and they never did. I don't know if that's because they're saving the potential fallout effect of what happens in Penny's life because of this for a plotline for next season, or if the writers honestly don't realize why what Diane did was such a breach of boundaries.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Diane is kind of a starfucker, though it seems like she basically feeds off Bojack's awfulness as much as she does for his fame.

Man, I really want to see a Bojack Horseman vs Rusty Venture bitch-off.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I think it looks kind of awful, but then... so does BoJack in its promos. They aren't very good at marketing these shows.

I definitely remember the initial teaser poster for BoJack and this forum ragged on it hard.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Bojack season 1 was an unexpected hit because nobody thought it would be good. The marketing material that had come out up to that point failed to differentiate it from the typical terrible adult cartoon and the critics, having received only the first six episodes of the season, said it was "okay" at best.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's a bit tricky with adult cartoons because they tend to be lower budget than action-focused kids cartoons or even anime, voice actors aside, and rely more on dialogue and character moments that aren't easy to cut into a catchy series of clips, especially considering marketing departments are usually terrible at their jobs. And the most famous adult cartoon, South Park, openly revels in its low-budget aesthetic.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do they even count?

They think they do.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, Diane explicitly exposing someone else's trauma in such a public way is the worst thing she's ever done. Forget Bojack, this isn't about him, this is about Penny and her maybe not wanting her past broadcast for the world to see. Can you imagine turning on the tv and seeing the story of the time you almost got statutory raped being told by the guy who almost statutory raped you? Now you have to deal with all those awful memories again and worry about whether or not the this all somehow gets traced back to you. Penny isn't a celebrity, she's a regular person just trying to live her life and shouldn't forcibly be put in a position where she has to deal with any media circus bullshit.

That wasn't Diane's story to tell, and I kept waiting for the show to acknowledge that and they never did. I don't know if that's because they're saving the potential fallout effect of what happens in Penny's life because of this for a plotline for next season, or if the writers honestly don't realize why what Diane did was such a breach of boundaries.

It's weird, because past episodes, it has made a point of showing that one of Diana's character flaws is she takes license to completely disregard the thoughts and opinions of others when she thinks she is right. This is another example of her doing this, but the show just let her skate without consequence so far.

Pakled posted:

Bojack season 1 was an unexpected hit because nobody thought it would be good. The marketing material that had come out up to that point failed to differentiate it from the typical terrible adult cartoon and the critics, having received only the first six episodes of the season, said it was "okay" at best.

The first couple episodes of Bojack were just dire, but I feel like this is a problem for any character driven comedy. Most of the humor and pathos comes from knowing who the characters are and then watching them bounce off each other, so it takes time to establish their personalities with audiences. I remember Bob's Burgers similarly premiered to tepid reception only to become beloved after having enough episodes that audiences got to know the nuance of the characters.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I see it being resolved with BoJack on the phone saying "I hosed up..." when it should be Diane. Because of course it's going to be BoJack it makes sense, and it's who you initially blame instead of the writers. They'll probably never circle back to Diane,. This is totally going to blow up next season, there is no way that poo poo doesn't get brought out to deal with.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's honestly such an obvious thing that I'm baffled that I never considered it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Just to clarify, BoJack didn't almost statutory rape Penny, and we know this because she states as such in the episode that what she thinks she wants is legal in New Mexico. No, that doesn't make it better, sort of like that moment in Transformers 4 where the guy explains Romeo and Juliet laws.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

Just to clarify, BoJack didn't almost statutory rape Penny, and we know this because she states as such in the episode that what she thinks she wants is legal in New Mexico. No, that doesn't make it better, sort of like that moment in Transformers 4 where the guy explains Romeo and Juliet laws.

Huh?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think it's that Penny was of the age of consent in New Mexico, but wasn't she very drunk that night? In that case, she's not in the proper mental state to legally consent.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The legality wasn't the problem.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The legality wasn't the problem.

Yea she wasn’t drunk and she wasn’t underage under the laws of the state and that’s not the point at all

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

That's a really big age difference. Also he was attempting to date her mother earlier. It's extremely creepy to just to her daughter next.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I wonder how many viewers understand why Penny had a panic attack the moment she saw Bojack again.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

I think it's that Penny was of the age of consent in New Mexico, but wasn't she very drunk that night? In that case, she's not in the proper mental state to legally consent.

i think they threw in the "what we're doing right now is legal, in this state" just to clarify that bojack's behavior is massively wrong and creepy but not technically illegal, just to stay on that side of the line

like you want to ensure your protagonist is horrible enough without being a literal attempted rapist

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, it's terrible, but you can't sell a Netflix show starring a child rapist.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea she wasn’t drunk and she wasn’t underage under the laws of the state and that’s not the point at all

Isn't it? Guy said, "almost got statutory raped", other guy said "BoJack didn't almost statutory rape Penny" cuz statutory rape is a legal category. It's not the point of the show but it's the point of that conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The scuzzyness is definitely the point, Bojack knows it was a horrible thing to do but still tries to defend it on the level he can. (and it's not like Bojack isn't regularly breaking all kinds of laws anyway)

Bojack admitted a while ago he has basically no impulse control and easily goes from doing comically stupid and bad things (like firing his stunt double) to really stupid and bad things, and it doesn't help that he's almost perpetually drunk, high and/or blitzed on something or other. And that ultimately, the only consequences he DOES have are alienating people, which still doesn't give him much active need to change.

Kind of a point for the season, especially with that other actor constantly doing racisms and making comebacks like clockwork, is that Hollywoo basically exists to normalise bad behaviour and false narratives of redemption, and it's the only world that Bojack understands. Most of the main characters, really, basically exemplify aspects of the awful behaviour and attitudes it encourages, from Mr Peanutbutter's shallowness making it impossible for him to form long-lasting relationships because he can't actively engage with anything negative or difficult, to Diane's attempts at moral crusading only contributing to the ecosystem of faux moral outrage, and Princess Carolyn lying to and exploiting people as a job to the point where she has almost no real personal life. Todd is an anomaly in the system since he doesn't engage in it the same way (most of the time) and can actually form relationships based on something other than money, sex or work, and even then he struggles to connect with people the way that he wants to.