Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I use the regex features in Textpad for same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Jon Joe posted:

Complete novice here, started playing around with html+css+javascript a week ago to prototype some ideas I had. Right now I'm trying to figure out what I should use to do database-like stuff. Nothing fancy, I just want to create a bunch of objects with the same keys but different values and then get all objects that match a certain key value, so I can display them.

Whatever I use it want it to be a hosted library since like I said I'm just doing prototyping so I don't care about security and I want to be as lazy as possible in setting things up. I searched cdnjs for 'database', looked at every option, and feel a little overwhelmed, so I just want to know whatever it is you might recommend.

Read only or read/write? How much data?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Yea, nothing wrong with scaffolding some data manually, especially if it's pretty static.

If it's a lot of data or changes with any real frequency, you need a real database.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

Read only or read/write? How much data?

Read only. Can't imagine it'll be more than a few hundred entries at the largest, each with around fifteen key:value pairs, of which I'd want to be able to filter by all of them, perhaps even all at the same time.

I looked into doing something similar to what Tei recommended, but I only have access to OpenOffice Calc and Google Sheets, neither of which can export to JSON by default, and the user-created plugin for doing that on google wants full access to every file on my drive, even non-sheet files.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 15, 2019

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Took me a bit to discover, but I am now aware of map(), reduce(), and filter() which I think should cover everything I need. As for generating it, I think I'll export a google sheet to csv and then convert that to JSON

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Nobody have a different suggestion than mine to use JSON / moustache?

I made it has a troll joke, but I was curious about a good answer.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The conversation moved on to the javascript thread.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Jon Joe posted:

Read only. Can't imagine it'll be more than a few hundred entries at the largest, each with around fifteen key:value pairs, of which I'd want to be able to filter by all of them, perhaps even all at the same time.

I looked into doing something similar to what Tei recommended, but I only have access to OpenOffice Calc and Google Sheets, neither of which can export to JSON by default, and the user-created plugin for doing that on google wants full access to every file on my drive, even non-sheet files.

I might just make a big rear end json file in that situation. You could also use some kind of db as a service solution like graph.cool or firebase.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Jon Joe posted:

Just a warning, you may rabbit hole on Sheets -> JSON transformation. The CSV to JSON packages I've found out there are pretty garbo

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The bros at Mozilla/Rust started a project called Gloo, which attempts to modularize and set standards for Rust/WASM web frameworks. Check it out, and feel free to submit ideas or code.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

When I made the post I through office would be a good option, but I never had myself to convert data from there to json. I will check it today.

Edit:
First thing I have found it this, but dont' seems simple
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30082277/accessing-a-new-style-public-google-sheet-as-json

Second is this
https://blog.sheetgo.com/how-to-solve-with-sheetgo/export-data-google-sheets/

Maybe use a different type of tool to generate the JSON files, is this way is too complicate.

This second tool seems not-too-bad

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 18, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Good God stop using sheets or Excel for this.

If you want that style of workflow, try something like castledb, which while marketed at gamedev people, is intended to do just what you crazy people are trying to use Excel for.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm using powershell to do most of my terminal stuff right now (Using git-bash for git stuff even if Vim is an almighty pain in the balls) and I'm wondering if any of the alternative window terminals are worth it.
Just off of using mongo for a project and I'm sort of desperate for anything that can do terminals in tabs like the tutorial guy had for his macOS environment because juggling three diffrent terminal windows was not fun.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
Mobaxterm is pretty decent if you're stuck w Win

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like ConEmu.

Quake-mode is way more useful than I thought it would be.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm actually in the process of trying to switch to windows for web dev right now and currently I'm using Hyper. I decided to just use tmux to handle my tabbing/split pane stuff because then my setup isn't so env specific, so maybe give that a try if you're willing to get a little more command-line dork about it. The nice thing is you can write scripts to get your tabs/panes exactly how you like them for a given project.

I'm having a weird problem and I don't know where to start, but I figure someone in this thread might be able to point me in the right direction even though it's only tangentially related. For the past 6 weeks or so all my code pushes to AWS S3 and EKS have been brutally slow. My upload speed is somewhere around 150-300 KB/s, which makes for bruuutal deploy times if I have to do something like deploy the Rails container after the gems change. I was recently away and on hotel wifi the deploys were fast as expected. Incidentally in this time I've replaced my router and cable modem, and also upgraded my internet service. Speedtest.net consistently reports 15-20mbps upload speeds so I should be pushing pretty decent speeds. I've asked in a Slack for local devs if other people on my ISP are having this issue and no one said they were.

I don't even know where to start with this, has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Should I just call my ISP?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm using powershell to do most of my terminal stuff right now (Using git-bash for git stuff even if Vim is an almighty pain in the balls) and I'm wondering if any of the alternative window terminals are worth it.
Just off of using mongo for a project and I'm sort of desperate for anything that can do terminals in tabs like the tutorial guy had for his macOS environment because juggling three diffrent terminal windows was not fun.

Hyper is nice, but last I used it you couldn't use Ctrl-C.

Nowadays I'm using cmdr.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

prom candy posted:

I'm actually in the process of trying to switch to windows for web dev right now and currently I'm using Hyper. I decided to just use tmux to handle my tabbing/split pane stuff because then my setup isn't so env specific, so maybe give that a try if you're willing to get a little more command-line dork about it. The nice thing is you can write scripts to get your tabs/panes exactly how you like them for a given project.

ConEmu supports multiple shells, powershell, wsl bash, git bash, etc.

Quake mode let's you show/hide your console window with a keyboard shortcut.

Then you can use keyboard shortcuts to launch or switch between tabs.

Also has a bunch of themeing options, profile customizations, macros, etc.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

The Fool posted:

ConEmu supports multiple shells, powershell, wsl bash, git bash, etc.

Quake mode let's you show/hide your console window with a keyboard shortcut.

Then you can use keyboard shortcuts to launch or switch between tabs.

Also has a bunch of themeing options, profile customizations, macros, etc.

Yeah I looked at ConEmu, I don't remember what it was that I didn't like about it. For some reason I went with Hyper but I don't really need Yet Another Electron App running.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hyper is good because you can install the power mode plugin and feel strong

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm off Hyper already since it doesn't send mouse events to tmux.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

prom candy posted:

I'm off Hyper already since it doesn't send mouse events to tmux.

There's a lot of stuff that doesn't work in Hyper that will be fixed only after Microsoft finishes its current efforts to completely re-architecture how console applications work.

Mouse events are irritating, but my big one is using Ctrl-C to interrupt operations...just doesn't work in Hyper.

Even after MS gets that work to the point its widely available on Windows, console apps like Hyper have to have a lot of work done on their side.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Nowadays I'm using cmdr.

Just discovered that cmder is a fork of ConEmu.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

The Fool posted:

Just discovered that cmder is a fork of ConEmu.

I thought it was more of wrapper for ConEmu? Regardless I really love using cmdr. Most of the default settings work for me out of the box and I've only had to to do some minor tweaking.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Nowadays I'm using cmdr.
How does this work with node_modules? One of the biggest issues with doing JS dev in Windows is the inability of Explorer to handle such blackholes of directories. If tools like Cmdr let me use tools like n, pyenv, etc... on Windows, then maybe there's a chance for Windows dev after all...

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

IAmKale posted:

How does this work with node_modules? One of the biggest issues with doing JS dev in Windows is the inability of Explorer to handle such blackholes of directories. If tools like Cmdr let me use tools like n, pyenv, etc... on Windows, then maybe there's a chance for Windows dev after all...

The git-for-windows console is probably what you want

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

IAmKale posted:

I've been doing python, java, JS, and others dev work on Windows since maybe 2015 and even without stuff like cmdr, I haven't had a problem in years.

But then again, I never navigate into node_modules because...well why would you? It's supposed to be opaque to the developer.

Also, nowadays you can use WSL and use real linux, natively as part of Windows. It's kind of a weird concept, but you get a full linux distribution that runs inside Windows but it's not a virtual machine. Basically, they developed a layer that lets Windows execute linux binaries.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 20, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've got some pngs that contain just single color simple shapes. Anyone come across any good tools for converting these to svgs? The first half dozen google results seem to generate huge bloated files...

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I've got some pngs that contain just single color simple shapes. Anyone come across any good tools for converting these to svgs? The first half dozen google results seem to generate huge bloated files...

The designer in my office usually trace things by hand. Better quality that way.

The last time I traced anything was in the 90's, with Inkscape, I don't know if the tool still exist.

Apparently Inkscape uses "Potrace"

http://potrace.sourceforge.net/

My information is 20 years outdate, so may be unnacurate.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
That'd take all of a few minutes for a designer to do in Sketch.

If this isn't for a work thing, I could do it for you.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Depending on how simple the shapes are, Illustrator's live trace does a good job and doesn't generate terribly bloated files.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Inkscape; Surprisingly good! Replaces Illustrator much better than Gimp replaces Photoshop. Paint.net can output SVG too I think with a plugin, but I don't know good it is at the convert from bitmap scenario.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The problem is I've got like a hundred or more, so I was hoping to find something I could automate.

Right now I'm way down a rabbit hole of reading about algorithms I could implement to do it myself. Of course, this is stupid so now I'm starting to rethink the whole shebang.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

The problem is I've got like a hundred or more, so I was hoping to find something I could automate.

Right now I'm way down a rabbit hole of reading about algorithms I could implement to do it myself. Of course, this is stupid so now I'm starting to rethink the whole shebang.
Autotrace?
https://github.com/autotrace/autotrace

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Have no idea how naive the implementation is but Inkscape supports command line batching:
https://inkscape.org/~Johannski/%E2%98%85inkscape-batch-convert-svgpdfeps-to-epspdfpng

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Inkscape; Surprisingly good! Replaces Illustrator much better than Gimp replaces Photoshop. Paint.net can output SVG too I think with a plugin, but I don't know good it is at the convert from bitmap scenario.

I wish they would get on the ball with their Mac development. It’s absolutely abysmal there. The freaking hotkeys don’t even work right (like cmd+c doesn’t copy). My favorite glitch is that if you’re scrolling through the sidebar with all of the widgets, and if your cursor touches any input, it will “scroll” that input, moving sliders or making numbers in textboxes go up and down. Oh, and the UI is soooo laggy.

IDK if the UX makes more sense on Linux or Windows somehow, but it’s my go-to example of awful apps.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Thermopyle posted:

Seems like one of those things you could spend a few days figuring out the nice automated way of doing it, or just brute force it over 4 agonizing hours of manually tracing

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

tankadillo posted:

I wish they would get on the ball with their Mac development. It’s absolutely abysmal there. The freaking hotkeys don’t even work right (like cmd+c doesn’t copy). My favorite glitch is that if you’re scrolling through the sidebar with all of the widgets, and if your cursor touches any input, it will “scroll” that input, moving sliders or making numbers in textboxes go up and down. Oh, and the UI is soooo laggy.

IDK if the UX makes more sense on Linux or Windows somehow, but it’s my go-to example of awful apps.

The Windows interface definitely isn't perfect, but I'm comparing it to the utter disconnect experienced when moving from Photoshop to Gimp. Unlike that, you can generally figure things out in Inkscape if you know Illustrator though I've never tried the Mac version so I don't know how they differ. Twitchiness around the palette drawers is definitely a thing on Windows though.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

If you're on a Mac, try Primitive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Can you make the mouse change to arrow on-hover?

https://output.jsbin.com/warahaquri/1