Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
They have torn away my ability to feel human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FoolyCharged posted:

Epic responded saying it was opt in only and yet on page 13 someone links an article where epic stated that only 20% of fortnight users actively use steam
Isn't that number kind of unverifiable nonsense considering Fortnite's also huge on consoles and on phones? 20% of Fortnite players actively use steam, but what's the Fortnite breakdown by platform?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mordja posted:

Isn't that number kind of unverifiable nonsense considering Fortnite's also huge on consoles and on phones? 20% of Fortnite players actively use steam, but what's the Fortnite breakdown by platform?

I mean, it's less about what the number they put in was and more about the fact that they in some way determined how many players not only had steam, but used it recently. By virtue of saying that it's almost a flat admission to scraping data from their clients on a competitor without asking

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

SilverMike posted:

You guys should probably be aware of this, since Phoenix Point is gonna be on their store. I know it's gotten me to uninstall the launcher and give up future free games.

considering their privacy policy is straight up worded to allow this it's not surprising.

there's a lot of scariness involved with the shakeup that Epic are causing, and i already had a huge moral objection to them staking their claim on the market by paying for platform exclusivity. just like EA's origin i will never install or use this. their store is a proto-version of steam's with worse policies.

and their biggest supporters are the CCP so lol @ anyone who digs their own graves on the "BUT STEAM NEEDS COMPETITION!!!!" hill.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mordja posted:

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, it's less about what the number they put in was and more about the fact that they in some way determined how many players not only had steam, but used it recently. By virtue of saying that it's almost a flat admission to scraping data from their clients on a competitor without asking

yeah to me it's less a matter of how accurate that number is and more a matter of "why do you have numbers on that in the first place??"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Coolguye posted:

yeah to me it's less a matter of how accurate that number is and more a matter of "why do you have numbers on that in the first place??"
whynotboth.gif

But yeah, I'd made an Epic account way back when for UT4 (RIP) and this is all skeezy as hell.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah my thoughts on misleading are more the use of investor when none of the legal protections and obligations apply

What legal protections don’t apply here that apply to another private (non-SEC-regulated) investment, of which there are very many?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

in case we get another drive-by of someone wondering 'Y U SKURRED OF EGS', someone just uploaded video proof of the spying of steam data to the only social network capable of communicating to boneheads who can't be bothered to read:

https://twitter.com/_s_t_r_e_l_o_k/status/1106341025109299200

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Perhaps a slightly, kinda, a little bit incredibly racist and homophobic explanation there.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Bogart posted:

Perhaps a slightly, kinda, a little bit incredibly racist and homophobic explanation there.

yeah i was reading it on twitter and just copied the imgur link, didn't even see the fine print bullshit there

tl;dr same thing as the video, hooking into all your poo poo and scanning for data.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Epic have responded to the Steam stuff on Reddit.

Daniel Vogel posted:

We only import your Steam friends with your explicit permission. The launcher makes an encrypted local copy of your localconfig.vdf Steam file. However information from this file is only sent to Epic if you choose to import your Steam friends, and then only hashed ids of your friends are sent and no other information from the file.

Tim Sweeney posted:

You guys are right that we ought to only access the localconfig.vdf file after the user chooses to import Steam friends. The current implementation is a remnant left over from our rush to implement social features in the early days of Fortnite. It's actually my fault for pushing the launcher team to support it super quickly and then identifying that we had to change it. Since this issue came to the forefront we're going to fix it.

We don't use the Steam API because we work to minimize the number of third-party libraries we include in our products due to security and privacy concerns (not from Valve specifically, but see e.g. https://www.macrumors.com/2019/02/22/ios-apps-sending-private-data-to-facebook/ for the general concern of APIs collecting more data than expected)
Nobody seems especially happy with this explanation.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That last paragraph is great in the context.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Kins posted:

I feel like this is a GDPR suit just waiting to happen, jesus.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

I feel like this is a GDPR suit just waiting to happen, jesus.
I vaguely recall hearing about something in their Privacy Policy already being challenged in some European court somewhere. This probably doesn't help.

Meanwhile, the friendlist-importing system in EA's Apex Legends just uses Steam's OpenID stuff to have you log into an EA site and consent to letting them pull the appropriate info from your community profile, which seems like a whole lot less trouble for everyone involved than Epic's current kludge.

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O
So is this game bad or

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Maybe we should tell Steam to stop sucking so much to make sure devs won't go to the Epic Store to steal your data

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Twyst posted:

So is this game bad or

Well, I may never get to find out because EGS doesn't work here so

Apart from that, loving over your initial investors so blatantly and without remorse is really off-putting, and what really makes it sting is that the game legit looks cool!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I couldn't yet tell you whether Epic's data-scraping thing nefarious or not, but RPS' article on it is the most smugly dismissive bullshit I've seen yet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

So I couldn't yet tell you whether Epic's data-scraping thing nefarious or not, but RPS' article on it is the most smugly dismissive bullshit I've seen yet.

Isn't that the same journalist that wrote an extensive hitpiece on the dev of Rimworld?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

The Kins posted:

Tim Sweeney is also responding in this thread. He appears to be acknowledging some of the criticism and admits they need to make some changes to their process:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0rxdq/epic_game_store_spyware_tracking_and_you/eijlbge/

quote:

You guys are right that we ought to only access the localconfig.vdf file after the user chooses to import Steam friends. The current implementation is a remnant left over from our rush to implement social features in the early days of Fortnite. It's actually my fault for pushing the launcher team to support it super quickly and then identifying that we had to change it. Since this issue came to the forefront we're going to fix it.

We don't use the Steam API because we work to minimize the number of third-party libraries we include in our products due to security and privacy concerns (not from Valve specifically, but see e.g. https://www.macrumors.com/2019/02/22/ios-apps-sending-private-data-to-facebook/ for the general concern of APIs collecting more data than expected)

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
I was unhappy when they dropped Linux support, since I do all of my gaming on Linux. When they announced that, I was okay with them keeping my preorder money to make a good game -- I figured they might release a Linux version in the future, or it might work well enough through Wine, or I might even make a throwaway un-activated Windows installation to play this. I'm not supporting Epic in any way though.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Mordja posted:

Graham Smith just posted in the comments that people have to chill calling them shills/corrupt or you get deleted. He then spouted the "well at least it isn't leaving your system unless you say so" line instead of going "why the gently caress are they snooping around in that folder anyway without your consent and before you decide to add steam friends, and why does it do so every time you boot the launcher?".

EDIT: I actually asked the latter without the swearing and if he agrees that is a bit weird replying to his post and it got promptly deleted without warning. :banjo:

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 15, 2019

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Delete what? Your Epic account and library or a forums account?

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

Demiurge4 posted:

Delete what? Your Epic account and library or a forums account?

Oh, the post I made asking Graham a question. They deleted it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I really gotta wonder if there's an exit clause on the exclusivity contracts, because at this point any sensible developer would pull the emergency chute.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

worth noting that their 'explicit permission' crap happens when you are agreeing to their privacy policy so the idea that they only do it with your explicit permission is mostly a lie.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DatonKallandor posted:

I really gotta wonder if there's an exit clause on the exclusivity contracts, because at this point any sensible developer would pull the emergency chute.

Why would they bother at this point? They've already admitted that they're making more money from Epic than they expect to from all the pre-orders. They're already bleeding support, to give back the Epic cash now would be the worst of all worlds, they'd be broke and they'd still have a bunch of refunds to pay out and pissed off customers for even trying it.

No, what they're going to do is shut up and hide for a few months and let the heat die down, then release the game in November (gotta get those X-mas $$$) and hope that the inevitable round of AAA outrages between March and November will get enough people to forget the shadiness they pulled now.

Worst thing is, they're probably right, a bunch of people who either never heard about the mess in the first place or have forgotten about it will see a bunch of hype about the game and buy it, EGS or no. :sigh:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

jng2058 posted:

Why would they bother at this point? They've already admitted that they're making more money from Epic than they expect to from all the pre-orders. They're already bleeding support, to give back the Epic cash now would be the worst of all worlds, they'd be broke and they'd still have a bunch of refunds to pay out and pissed off customers for even trying it.

No, what they're going to do is shut up and hide for a few months and let the heat die down, then release the game in November (gotta get those X-mas $$$) and hope that the inevitable round of AAA outrages between March and November will get enough people to forget the shadiness they pulled now.

Worst thing is, they're probably right, a bunch of people who either never heard about the mess in the first place or have forgotten about it will see a bunch of hype about the game and buy it, EGS or no. :sigh:

What hype? If it weren't for the xcom 2 thread I wouldn't even know the game exists. Maybe I missed a big old pr campaign, but what I've seen is 0 advertisement whatsoever.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

What hype? If it weren't for the xcom 2 thread I wouldn't even know the game exists. Maybe I missed a big old pr campaign, but what I've seen is 0 advertisement whatsoever.

Not right now, but come October? You'll start seeing some ads on EGS, some reviews on the usual suspects, some youtube and twitch streams. Given that everyone hates them right now, the last thing they want is more attention in March. But once the game gets near release? It'll be a different story.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i suppose we will see but i'm a little suspicious of the idea that it will all be forgiven and forgotten. even if all their backers just refund and never say anything again*, the EGS stuff has officially pissed off the dumbshit channers that wrap their entire identity in being anonymous because their data collection is so aggressive.

if there is one thing the channers have never done well, it's let something go, so i wouldn't be surprised if they clown-carred EGS exclusive releases with more trolling and horseshit from now until forever at this point, even if epic said "you know what you're absolutely right our platform and tactics are terrible we are going to remove all of it and also buy tencent back off our cap table (somehow)," there would still be dumbfuck invasion squads coming in because they never cared to get the memo.

*: i find this also kind of unlikely because XCOM fans have big-O Opinions about everything too. it was something like two years and two threads that the XCOM threads here dealt with Long War zealots and detractors being gigantic troglodytes to one another over a god damned mod of all loving things, and even then the conversation only truly died when the XCOM 2 expansion came out and the mod team refused to update their dumb bullshit for it because Firaxis wasn't paying them.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
This game looks rad and I'm looking forward to it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm maybe a bit late on that but:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/epic-promises-to-fix-game-launcher-after-privacy-concerns/

CEO of Epic admits to their program breaking GDPR by copying files not intended for 3rd party use without permission.
loving lmao.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Jack Trades posted:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/epic-promises-to-fix-game-launcher-after-privacy-concerns/

CEO of Epic admits to their program breaking GDPR by copying files not intended for 3rd party use without permission.
loving lmao.

So instead of doing it the normal way - have user log in to steam site and get permission to see friends list, they decided "let's just rummage through Steam files for friend list"? :tif:

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

Pyromancer posted:

So instead of doing it the normal way - have user log in to steam site and get permission to see friends list, they decided "let's just rummage through Steam files for friend list"? :tif:

Yes. And that is because of the following: the SteamAPI doesn't allow you to get info from a certain person if that person has their profile set to PRIVATE. The API has this enforcement thing in place because of GDPR and other stuff.

So basically what they are doing is going around the API to get your info REGARDLESS of you wanting them to get that info. So if you say no to Steam sharing your info they now go "lol cute let me copy these files and circumvent the exact system Steam has put into place to protect its customer's data from being shared without consent".

Also Sweeney said "We don't use the Steam API because we work to minimize the number of third-party libraries we include in our products due to security and privacy concerns" with is bullshit because it's a simple JSON to get info from the API.

For example:

You wouldn't do this if you've got nothing to hide. The fact that they decided to circumvent Steams official API (that loving everyone uses if you want to import Steam friends) is extremely sketchy. The fact that Sweeney uses a bullshit excuse like "third party libraries DUE TO PRIVACY CONCERNS" and they gently caress your privacy by doing something around the regular route is loving having a crowbar and a bag of stolen items behind your back when the police catch you and telling them you found the stolen goods in the bushes and the crowbar was so you could break IN to place the stuff back.

EDIT:

Steams response says it all:

quote:

We are looking into what information the Epic launcher collects from Steam.

The Steam Client locally saves data such as the list of games you own, your friends list and saved login tokens (similar to information stored in web browser cookies). This is private user data, stored on the user's home machine and is not intended to be used by other programs or uploaded to any 3rd party service.

Interested users can find localconfig.vdf and other Steam configuration files in their Steam Client’s installation directory and open them in a text editor to see what data is contained in these files. They can also view all data related to their Steam account at: https://help.steampowered.com/en/accountdata.

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 16, 2019

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

loving lmao.

I hope he realizes this is not stopping them from getting sued to hell and back by the full throbbing force of GDPR.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm so glad I'm not involved in all this backer drama. So to play this game I have to wait until September of 2020 when the exclusivity clause expires then hope it ends up on Steam?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Looks that way.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm so glad I'm not involved in all this backer drama. So to play this game I have to wait until September of 2020 when the exclusivity clause expires then hope it ends up on Steam?

Ssssshhhhh :filez: :ssh:

EDIT: Normally I wouldn't argue for this solution, mainly because I'm a schmuck who keeps buying the Yakuza titles at full price on steam, but I feel it's completely justified in this case. The developers already guaranteed that they'll make their money back and then some through the exclusivity deal. You were fully intending to buy it before they made the move to tie it to a shady platform. Don't wait for a year, if you want it then just go for it.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Eh, the way games are made in this blighted era, you may want to wait a year regardless so that the game-breaking bugs, horrible game balance, and lovely ideas are all hammered out. With the whole "we can fix it with patches" mentality so prevalent in game design these days, the first year of "release" is effectively "Beta part II" for most game companies.