Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

Yeah I don't think they're the main cause, but they are getting away with spreading classic. Fascist propaganda with no repercussions.

Which was caldwaldes point

No it wasn't, it was LOOOOOOKKKK AAAATTTTT MMMMMEEEEEEEE, the murder of 49 people is actually about MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No it wasn't, it was LOOOOOOKKKK AAAATTTTT MMMMMEEEEEEEE, the murder of 49 people is actually about MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

That's every Twitter post ever

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1106571670175784961

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
How does an innocent person become a killer?

Well the simple answer is they do a killing.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rarity posted:

Capitalism is absolutely the root cause of most mass shootings

Well quite :ussr:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Gengis Khan killed people as fast as the Nazis.

People have always been awful

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

quote:

The government contractor Interserve is to go into administration after its largest shareholder, the US hedge fund Coltrane, led a rebellion against financial rescue plans drawn up by the company’s lenders.

The result of the vote, held at an emergency meeting, fires the starting gun on a “pre-pack” administration likely to be completed by the end of Friday. Interserve has thousands of government contracts such as hospital cleaning, school meals and maintenance of military bases in the Falklands. It also operates the probation service.

While shareholders will be wiped out, with the company sold to the lenders, the nature of a pre-pack administration means Interserve, which employs 45,000 people in the UK, can continue trading.

The company said this should ensure no disruption to the key public services that Interserve manages for the government and prevent job losses in the short term. The pension scheme will also be protected.

But the failure of another outsourcing giant, little more than a year after Carillion’s collapse, sparked fresh calls for public services to be taken back in-house from trade unions and Labour’s business select committee chair Rachel Reeves.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/mar/15/interserve-to-go-into-administration-after-shareholders-reject-deal

But private enterprise is so much more efficient!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

JFairfax posted:

People have always been awful

He didnt discriminate against anyone...he killed everyone though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Yeah i mean of course you can kill faster if you don't have to sort them first

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Junior G-man posted:

But private enterprise is so much more efficient!

It is very efficient at funnelling money out of the economy into the pockets of the hyper wealthy yes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

Nah, the fastest Nazi was Heini Dittmar, no way Khan killed anyone as fast as him.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CyberPingu posted:

He didnt discriminate against anyone...he killed everyone though.

I'm talking about when the Nazis had already sorted them.

Anyway my point is the violence of fascism is not unique, neither is the hatred.

But I think fascism can only exist in a post industrial revolution capitalist society where the technology exists to distribute propoganda effectively.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1106577672971452416

Jess Philips somehow always manages to look so chummy with the Tories.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1106577672971452416

Jess Philips somehow always manages to look so chummy with the Tories.

I think she likes Tories OP

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/replouiegohmert/status/1106542079335952384

I wasn't expecting "Why didn't the shooter simply campaign to have the Muslims forcefully deported peacefully?" to be something someone pushed but here we are.

Decorum politics.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah i mean of course you can kill faster if you don't have to sort them first

Well he did sort them. All women and males under X height go into the slave bin, males taller than X go into the beheading bin.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Stimperor posted:

Well he did sort them. All women and males under X height go into the slave bin, males taller than X go into the beheading bin.

also fun fact, the genocide in Rwanda occurred at a faster rate than the holocaust.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

JFairfax posted:

I think she likes Tories OP

She serves an important purpose for them because they get to pretend they have a dead working class chum. She is a professional disingenuous gobshite and an absolute loving disgrace and it says a lot that it has landed her a regular spot on This Week :barf:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lord Stimperor posted:

By making the measuring stick particularly sharp that could be reduced to a 1-step process.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

There seems to be something hosed up about people where a tiny percentage of us just go on rampages occasionally using whatever tools we can get our hands on to kill as many people as possible from some group we arbitrarily decided to hate.

I’m not sure that having a fairer society would have stopped these arseholes or Breivik for that matter. Nothing suggests they’re responding to the crushing despair of living under capitalism or some kind of competition over scarce resources; it’s pure brainwashing to believe that Muslims are evil, followed with a call to action.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

JFairfax posted:

also fun fact, the genocide in Rwanda occurred at a faster rate than the holocaust.

That's, that's not fun at all!! :mad:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Beefeater1980 posted:

There seems to be something hosed up about people where a tiny percentage of us just go on rampages occasionally using whatever tools we can get our hands on to kill as many people as possible from some group we arbitrarily decided to hate.

I’m not sure that having a fairer society would have stopped these arseholes or Breivik for that matter. Nothing suggests they’re responding to the crushing despair of living under capitalism or some kind of competition over scarce resources; it’s pure brainwashing to believe that Muslims are evil, followed with a call to action.

Christians killing muslims for spurious reasons is not exactly a new thing though.

This is one of the reasons why religion is so loving insidious.

I mean christians killing muslims is probably one of the longest running traditions of western europe.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That's, that's not fun at all!! :mad:

Rwanda also proved that one didn't need industrial murder to kill on a faster rate than the Holocaust - all it needed was crowds with machetes and the radio tower

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
And that's not to mention all the intra religious stuff, shia vs sunni, catholic v protestant, protestant v protestant, snake handling baptist v mongoose handling baptist.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Beefeater1980 posted:

I think there's a lot of different pressures and factors coming in from different angles that'd potentially shove someone into that position. While I've talked about blaming capitalism and seeing it as leaving people vulnerable to influence, I'd agree with this and other posts that it's not some kind of sole cause. There's a great deal of things spoken in this discussion that aren't mutually exclusive. It's my opinion that these likely all weave into a thick tapestry that depicts the long history of tribal violence from the dawn of civilisation to the current day.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Actually I wonder if at some point we’re going to find out that seeing their political views affirmed online is affecting people’s brains like alcohol or drugs, where you get a dopamine surge but you build up a tolerance so you seek out more and more until whoops was that five bottles?

It’s at least plausible that the substance of what people are angry about - whether that’s something real like the oppression of Palestinians or something imaginary like white extinction or a western plot to conquer Mecca- doesn’t matter at all, and that all that matters is being vulnerable and caught in a loop of permanent outrage.

If so, maybe there’s a CBT way to deradicalise people before they start murdering.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

white US evangelical vs. the concept of humanity surviving

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

Rwanda also proved that one didn't need industrial murder to kill on a faster rate than the Holocaust - all it needed was crowds with machetes and the radio tower

If you read the minutes of the Wannsee Conference (or watch Conspiracy), it's pretty clear that it wasn't outright speed the Nazis wanted - the Einsatzgruppen were plenty quick enough - but *efficiency*. Shooting the Jews and other undesirables was too expensive in terms of manpower and ammunition (and they were worried about the burnout rate of the poor murderers). In a weird way that's part of the horror of the Holocaust - other genocides you can say were the work of just anger and fervor, something outside of rationality, but the Holocaust was treated like an interesting industrial process, with cold hard logic.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Beefeater1980 posted:

If so, maybe there’s a CBT way to deradicalise people before they start murdering.

Therapy requires active participation from the client and is thus only effective on the willing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They definitely getting a bribe if they're meeting hammond

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1106545999814819842

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Personally I hold Tony Blair responsible for this stuff.

Launching a crusade against muslims that is continuing to this day.

That's why I give him poo poo for being a closet Catholic, I'd make the argument that the Iraq war for Blair was another Catholic crusade and if you know anything about them you know that poo poo lasted for hundreds of years with conflict.

I thought at the time that going into Iraq would create a multi-generation conflict and so it proves to be the case.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

It's the response to that call to action that differentiates them from the pub racist or freeper that enthusiastically agrees vs. the one that actually goes and does something and then immediately gets called a false flag.

ronya posted:

You could argue that the radio tower was the industrial input in this case. Communications is a good industry to get people willing to do something, whether it's by the panga or the gas chamber.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

Therapy requires active participation from the client and is thus only effective on the willing.

The other CBT, then.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If you read the minutes of the Wannsee Conference (or watch Conspiracy), it's pretty clear that it wasn't outright speed the Nazis wanted - the Einsatzgruppen were plenty quick enough - but *efficiency*. Shooting the Jews and other undesirables was too expensive in terms of manpower and ammunition (and they were worried about the burnout rate of the poor murderers). In a weird way that's part of the horror of the Holocaust - other genocides you can say were the work of just anger and fervor, something outside of rationality, but the Holocaust was treated like an interesting industrial process, with cold hard logic.

also there was the psychological impact on the troops carrying out the mass murder.

by the time the extermination camps had been set up and refined, the process of murdering hundreds of people at a time had been streamlined so that a handful of people could carry it out, and the clean up would be done by jews.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh on an actual happy note the mixed-sex civil partnerships bill received final parliamentary approval today. That means the first legal mixed-sex civil partnerships by the end of the year, and hopefully a renewed push for same-sex marriage in NI.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The other CBT, then.

https://twitter.com/espyramid/status/976856220454850562?lang=en

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Beefeater1980 posted:

Beefeater1980 posted:

Actually I wonder if at some point we’re going to find out that seeing their political views affirmed online is affecting people’s brains like alcohol or drugs, where you get a dopamine surge but you build up a tolerance so you seek out more and more until whoops was that five bottles?

It’s at least plausible that the substance of what people are angry about - whether that’s something real like the oppression of Palestinians or something imaginary like white extinction or a western plot to conquer Mecca- doesn’t matter at all, and that all that matters is being vulnerable and caught in a loop of permanent outrage.

I often wonder when things like this happen if the ostensible rationale given by the perpetrator for their actions should really be taken at face value, particularly when it is an individual acting alone. I mean there definitely is a certain kind of personality that will be driven to do things just for the attention it gets them and the ensuing debate about radicalisation of whatever kind will take place despite such a person not actually having been radicalised at all, but just passing themselves off as such as a means to an end :/

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

They definitely getting a bribe if they're meeting hammond

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1106545999814819842

Are they seriously trying for the "ok northern Ireland can stay in the EU whatever, the rest of the UK is still hosed lmao" plan?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

JFairfax posted:

I'm talking about when the Nazis had already sorted them.

Anyway my point is the violence of fascism is not unique, neither is the hatred.

But I think fascism can only exist in a post industrial revolution capitalist society where the technology exists to distribute propoganda effectively.

Wasn't one of the biggest leaps in fascist propaganda the loudspeaker? A way to directly bombard individuals with propaganda in a way that can't be easily ignored with little ways of repercussion toward the spreader. You no longer had to get people to make a movie, read a leaflet that was destined for the bin the moment it was handed out, you could just yell far away from the threat of any anti-fascists.

e: what I'm trying to get at is Social Media with how ubiquitous it's become has a similar effect. There's no need to spend time, effort and money when they can just create a bombardment of shitposts mixed with propaganda in a lazy afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

What the gently caress

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1106584434164359170