Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Pewdiepie is racist rear end trash trying to have his racist cake and eat it too and anyone saying the shooters just randomly decided to bring his name up is racist-enabling rear end trash.

Not being directly responsible isn't the same thing as being innocent of any connection. If he didn't want his name associated with white supremacy there was plenty he could have done to shed them or discourage them from taking him on like some cartoon racist mascot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

The big issue I take with the large focus on pewdiepie from this is that a lot of kids are going to hear about this, then seek out the vid, and get put into a rabbit hole of violent videos and white nationalism.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Montasque posted:

I'm pretty sure the guy's plan was to get Pewdiepie banned from youtube in an effort to radicalize his tens of millions of followers.

Jokes on him, his followers are already radicalized.

lmao goddamn that's probably the core reason isn't it

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
loving hell. Our news showed the whole drat attack.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

SpaceGoku posted:

well that and the fact a lot of white supremacists consider pewdiepie one of their own and a symbol of white power.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
to me, this is the crux of the pewdiepie issue:
https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1106552194088816650

except he's a person with agency and not a gang sign, so the fact that he was aware that his spaces were being used as connection points for fash and didn't do anything about it means that either a) he's a fash, or b) he valued views/clicks/$ over basic morality, either way, :blastu:

Silly Hyena
May 2, 2014

Montasque posted:

She shot a flare gun across the bow of a ship carrying refugees.

It wasn't a ship carrying refugees, they went to the Mediterranean looking for refugee boats to sink, but couldn't find any because surprisingly it isn't a nonstop pipeline of african people to europe. They shot flares at a MSF rescue vessel instead, because they were hosed up on bloodlust.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Silly Hyena posted:

It wasn't a ship carrying refugees, they went to the Mediterranean looking for refugee boats to sink, but couldn't find any because surprisingly it isn't a nonstop pipeline of african people to europe. They shot flares at a MSF rescue vessel instead, because they were hosed up on bloodlust.

ah, that was it.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Bullfrog posted:

The big issue I take with the large focus on pewdiepie from this is that a lot of kids are going to hear about this, then seek out the vid, and get put into a rabbit hole of violent videos and white nationalism.

That's exactly why he attached Pewdiepie to this.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Silly Hyena posted:

Didn't they also nearly sink and had to get rescued?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
lauren southern and that bald boomer thanks canada

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SpaceGoku posted:

Probably not, if the guys were so internet-saavy as everyones saying they know just as well as you and I that what they did wasn't going to affect PDP in any real way. They shouted out his poo poo because shouting out his poo poo is akin to the ok hand symbol, winky giggly racist bullshit.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Colonel J posted:

Didn't they also nearly sink and had to get rescued?

yep and now she's banned from england

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/status/1106577670823964672
https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1106583219393171456

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Probably not, if the guys were so internet-saavy as everyones saying they know just as well as you and I that what they did wasn't going to affect PDP in any real way. They shouted out his poo poo because shouting out his poo poo is akin to the ok hand symbol, winky giggly racist bullshit.

right this is another part of it

but one of the major pet projects of the terminally online brain broken internet fash back in 2018 was to get alt-right-adjacent people banned from youtube to try and further radicalize them and their audiences

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lmao

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Why would you describe yourself as an eco fascist and not just a nazi

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i bet Count Dankula has a word he calls all africans

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

he's trying real hard to be the newest dumbest member of the alt right

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

how DARE you imply i speak english. i am clearly not competent enough in my own language to understand words

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SpaceGoku posted:

it loving owns that youtube could eradicate this poo poo on their platform over night by changing their algorithm but they choose not too

also lots of platforms, Twitter most notably, literally have special tags applied to accounts that are legit white supremacist or dedicated to radicalizing people to the purposes of genocide and mass killings, because hosting that content is illegal in a couple countries they operate in

lots of social media sites could get rid of this problem in literally like, 30 seconds

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

unlike u normal fascists i value man's connection with nature & agriculture, a concept which i call "blood and soil"

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

His stated goal In his manifesto was to have the left 'overreact' so it would cause more radicalization on the right.

He also name dropped Candice Owens because she's black and wanted to 'troll' the normies.

This guy was really really broken brained and completely online in the worst way possible. There will be more like this.

E:

SpaceGoku posted:

right this is another part of it

but one of the major pet projects of the terminally online brain broken internet fash back in 2018 was to get alt-right-adjacent people banned from youtube to try and further radicalize them and their audiences
Exactly. He took that type of trolling to its tragic conclusion.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

turn off the TV posted:

Why would you describe yourself as an eco fascist and not just a nazi

To give Nazis and Nazi-adjacents something to talk about besides how they're not responsible for Nazi killers.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Reading the manifesto and this guy really thinks he's Nazi Rick Sanchez.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I'm really loving torn on the "don't show the attack/manifesto" issue.

I know it just amplifies the spotlight the chuds crave, and maybe emboldens other potential attackers (though it's not certain if it's the event itself that encourages others, as they now see that the blow can be struck, or if it's the lure of epic fame and a legacy. Likely both.)

But at the same time, burying it doesn't work. Information vacuums are playgrounds for these fuckwads as much as media overload. False flags, saying that the -real- attacker was another muslim in a sectarian fight, 'debunkers' saying it's impossible for rifle bullets to melt steel beams; we've seen that happens even whe there are facts available.

Do a content blackout, and you can bet every shooting and bomb threat will be blamed upon muslims and antifa until the end of time, and saying otherwise will be deep state fake news. Narratives take very little time to become set.

At the same time, I wonder if there is value in showing the lukewarm bigots, those that go "Well I'm not a racist, I'm juuust saying the muzzies have too many kids and want their own laws!" the natural result of their thinking. Maybe I'm being a silly optimist, but showing someone a bloodbath and pointing out that the perpetrator believed the same things you are defending might shock some people into sense.

Actual example: last year, progressive POC LGBT city congresswoman Marielle Franco was murdered, after a short but intense career fighting against the violent militias that have taken hold of much of Rio's slums. The polive locked down the investigation tight, and as a result the Bolsonarian chud media -went to loving town- saying that she was killed because she was a thug, secretly married to a drug dealer, or a crime kingpin herself getting involved in gang disputes.

Surprise surpise, last week the investigation caught two militia members who likely did it. One has a picture with goddamn Bolsonaro himself, the other is member of a conservative party. The chuds just shrugged. As far as they care, the narrative is already set.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
has meghan mccain made this about her yet

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

The only manifesto that mattered was Ted K.

The rest are ramblings of spiritually castrated and stupid boys who think violence is the answer when the real answer is to clean your drat room!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Montasque posted:

The only manifesto that mattered was Ted K.

The rest are ramblings of spiritually castrated and stupid boys who think violence is the answer when the real answer is to clean your drat room!

that also applies to ted k tho

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

that also applies to ted k tho

He wasnt stupid!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

the thing i actually worry the most is that he labeled himself an eco-fascist, which will light up across popular right wing media and mainstream outlets as a thought terminating cliche to connect him to the left and environmental concerns.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
What do we know about the other three arrested? Anything?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Sephyr posted:

I know it just amplifies the spotlight the chuds crave, and maybe emboldens other potential attackers (though it's not certain if it's the event itself that encourages others, as they now see that the blow can be struck, or if it's the lure of epic fame and a legacy. Likely both.)

But at the same time, burying it doesn't work. Information vacuums are playgrounds for these fuckwads as much as media overload. False flags, saying that the -real- attacker was another muslim in a sectarian fight, 'debunkers' saying it's impossible for rifle bullets to melt steel beams; we've seen that happens even whe there are facts available.

Do a content blackout, and you can bet every shooting and bomb threat will be blamed upon muslims and antifa until the end of time, and saying otherwise will be deep state fake news. Narratives take very little time to become set.

At the same time, I wonder if there is value in showing the lukewarm bigots, those that go "Well I'm not a racist, I'm juuust saying the muzzies have too many kids and want their own laws!" the natural result of their thinking. Maybe I'm being a silly optimist, but showing someone a bloodbath and pointing out that the perpetrator believed the same things you are defending might shock some people into sense.

Actual example: last year, progressive POC LGBT city congresswoman Marielle Franco was murdered, after a short but intense career fighting against the violent militias that have taken hold of much of Rio's slums. The polive locked down the investigation tight, and as a result the Bolsonarian chud media -went to loving town- saying that she was killed because she was a thug, secretly married to a drug dealer, or a crime kingpin herself getting involved in gang disputes.

Surprise surpise, last week the investigation caught two militia members who likely did it. One has a picture with goddamn Bolsonaro himself, the other is member of a conservative party. The chuds just shrugged. As far as they care, the narrative is already set.

that’s why the terrorism is “effective” - because either way they got what they wanted, and there’s nothing you can do about it in the immediate aftermath. it’s both infuriating and enervating

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Montasque posted:

He wasnt stupid!

he was definitely stupid about politics and philosophy. im sure he could count fine though

ill never get people on the left defending his manifesto, its just a rightwing screed crying about Libs with some reactionary environmentalism thrown in

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sephyr posted:

You can talk about these people without giving them a platform for their ideals

OhFunny posted:

What do we know about the other three arrested? Anything?

Probably detained for questioning and released. Everything from NZ police says it was this one guy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Montasque posted:

His stated goal In his manifesto was to have the left 'overreact' so it would cause more radicalization on the right.

For sure, I mean I could be wrong but the PDP shoutout to me just seems less like a calculated move to harm him and more of a catchphrase they were already using.

And maybe the story ought to be more about what's going on with "the right" when one of the easier to predict effects of a mass shooting is that they'll care more about pissing off people who are upset by mass murder than anything remotely related to the actual murders.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

The Dig podcast has a good episode about white power violence with Kathleen Belew, it's worth a listen

https://www.blubrry.com/jacobin/39238477/the-dig-the-roots-of-white-power-violence-with-kathleen-belew/

quote:

The man who carried out the massacre in Pittsburgh was motivated by a belief that Jewish people were conspiring to destroy the white race by way of orchestrating mass immigration. It's a conspiracy theory with deep roots in America's violent white power movement and that today is echoed by Trump and Fox News. Dan interviews Kathleen Belew on her book Bring The War Home: The White Power Movement and Paramilitary America, a history of the white power revolutionary movement from 1975–1995.

Daniel Denvir's thread about the massacre:

https://twitter.com/DanielDenvir/status/1106587448790958080

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

also ted definitely needed to clean his dang room bucko. have you SEEN that cabin

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sephyr posted:

the issue is not that the news of the event will be or there, and the manifesto public knowledge, there is indeed no way to have a democratic society where that is avoided fully

the media just needs to be better at just reporting the pain facts, and not editorialize the idiotic thing in the most wishy-washy way possible. posting the video is bad, and most commenting on the contents of the manifesto is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Admiral Ray posted:

the thing i actually worry the most is that he labeled himself an eco-fascist, which will light up across popular right wing media and mainstream outlets as a thought terminating cliche to connect him to the left and environmental concerns.

that’s intentional, he’s smart enough to know that obscuring his ideology can be used as a tool - all the true believer alt-right people know who he is regardless, conservative pundits can use the bullshit “eco-fascist” to say he’s left wing or whatever, and the mainstream media is too feckless to cut through to the truth of it