Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFzVCE7Pz-c

:hehe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgU9B07vaeU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was kinda sleepy reading this thread and now I want a Muppets-Sesame Street revival called Grover thats about Grover having a radio show

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oscar is basically Slavoj Zizek.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

le cigar volant

le cigar volant

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I personally like Frayzher's haircut in the early seasons, I think it works

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It works to give him macrocephaly.

Just like in that episode where he gets a celebrity portrait.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm watching Our Father Whose Art Ain't Heaven (S04E08) and I didn't realize they actually go to and show Cigare Volant :aaaaa:

I thought even though they were confirmed as going later on it remained unseen, because of that amazing ytpmd^

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Besides Le Cigar Volant and Happy Brothers, what are your favorite Fræsir restaurants? Mine is Stephano's. But a close second is the one in Belize where Frasier freaks out about them being out of seafood. Or the Family Feedbag with the giant steaks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Family Feedbag because it's the best "Martin tells the boys to stop being douchebags" line in the show

Also the british pub where daphne goes. Could that really exist in Seattle?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bust Rodd posted:

Family Feedbag because it's the best "Martin tells the boys to stop being douchebags" line in the show

Also the british pub where daphne goes. Could that really exist in Seattle?

I don't remember that episode, but there used to be a decent Irish one called the Owl and Thistle, but I haven't been back to Seattle in 10 years.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I like the observation somebody made in this thread about how Martin's beloved Sawmill restaurant would totally have been discovered and ruined by late 2000's/early 2010's hipsters.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/oocfrasier/status/1025486260847173632?s=21

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Laterite posted:

Megyn Price is one of the hottest TV moms ever as well.

Megyn Price was 29 when the first season of Grounded for Life was filmed.

Watching more Grounded for Life right now, maybe some Frasier after. Picking an episode is hard!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Howbout that one where Frasier has an Italian cousin?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Howbout that one where Frasier has an Italian cousin?

Greek, on his father's side, by marriage

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

My apologies, I've only ever sat through it once.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It's bad, but I still give you kudos for watching some Frasier.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Beware of Beware of Greeks

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

So Daphne is a live in physical therapist without a green card that does laundry.

This show had some issues with women.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not even getting into a producer demanding Roz had to get pregnant as a consequence for being openly sexual.

I made Frasier and Niles Mii Fighters for Smash Ultimate, took me ages to get the voices right. Frasier is a Brawler, Niles a Swordfighter.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
It was the 90s and early 2000s and things were somewhat less than woke

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Still more woke than Friends!

That bar is floating somewhere in the molten core of our planet.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

They made the coffee girl a person of color! Woke!

edit: Niles bribes a black judge on screen

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 15, 2019

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not even getting into a producer demanding Roz had to get pregnant as a consequence for being openly sexual.

I made Frasier and Niles Mii Fighters for Smash Ultimate, took me ages to get the voices right. Frasier is a Brawler, Niles a Swordfighter.

I want to fight that producer.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it also highlights this weird attitude about the 90’s. I mean if I had a friend in his 40-50’s like Frasier (or even mid-late 30’s like Seinfeld) who had a new girlfriend or was a dating a completely new women every week I’d definitely be weirded out or at least casually suspect there was something weird or gross about them. I’ve had slutty friends before, but that seemed more based on millennial hook up culture, just bang & bail stuff. Seinfeld and Frazier are, like, wining and dining all these women, going on trips, etc, it’s like a second loving job over here!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I have to quit watching. It's ethically unsound to watch it on NutFlix.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it also highlights this weird attitude about the 90’s. I mean if I had a friend in his 40-50’s like Frasier (or even mid-late 30’s like Seinfeld) who had a new girlfriend or was a dating a completely new women every week I’d definitely be weirded out or at least casually suspect there was something weird or gross about them. I’ve had slutty friends before, but that seemed more based on millennial hook up culture, just bang & bail stuff. Seinfeld and Frazier are, like, wining and dining all these women, going on trips, etc, it’s like a second loving job over here!

I mean, was that the 90s, or is it just sitcom television

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m not sure I watched family sitcoms where the only people dating were the teens like Bud & Kelly. Married... w/ Children, Family Matters, Home Improvement, dating was long, long gone in those households. I guess I watched Living Single a lot too but the cast is pretty well paired up for most of it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Farrier Theaks posted:

I mean, was that the 90s, or is it just sitcom television

I wasn't even dating age yet and I was going through two bottles of Chilean cab a week trying to keep the ladies interested.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

There's plenty of real people in their 40's who barely work and are constantly drunk and loving people who they just met, but their lives are sad.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Remember when Niles and daphne ran away from their spouses like scared children and daphne wanted to go to Canada and start a new life, just the two of them so they could start fresh tabula rasa and make their own way in the world with only their love for each other and Niles was all “but there’s bears there and good restaurants here” lol what a horrendous coward of a man yes I’m sure these two failed marriages in quick succession were all someone else’s fault

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I must have been drunk as poo poo when I wrote this

oldpainless posted:

Frasier had found his fathers old service pistol weeks ago and Martin still didn’t seem to know it was gone. 25 long years they had lived together and frasier finally accepted that he would never be rid of his father. Roz had switched careers long ago and who could blame her? Radio was a dead media unless you had a national show and call in psychiatry was never going to bring in the numbers the accountants wanted. Perhaps if Bebe were still around she could have done something but she had died of a massive heart attack long ago to no ones surprise. Niles and daphne gone to London years back and the two phone calls a year between the two brothers were perfunctory at best now. Frasier smiles as he thinks of the years when they were all together in Seattle. The dinner parties, the wine clubs, the opera. How important it had all seemed then! To be known as the creme de la creme of the Seattle social scene was all he had wanted. True, it never went as planned but they always bounced back and supported each other. But now they were all gone. Kenny, Gil, Bulldog. Everyone moved forward but somehow Frasier stood still, he and Martin still roommates somehow. Even Eddie had passed, gone to bed one night fat and happy and just never woke back up. Martin had never recovered and now the two of them were alive but they didn’t really live anymore. Hadn’t for a long time to be honest. Frasier heard his dad call from his chair in the living room. Of course the one thing to stand the test of time was the chair. Martin was asking if they were going to dukes for dinner. I’ve been calling you for ten minutes frasier aren’t you listening?

“Yes Dad,” frasier replied as he loaded two bullets into the pistol. “I’m listening.”

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
We're a little into season 8 now and it's weird because, at this time of filming, Jane Leeves was pregnant and Daphne's wardrobe goes from tight-fitting clothing while she's with Donny to sweat pants and loose-fitting shirts immediately after she and Niles get together. At least it's better than what they did to Shelley Long during Cheers and there isn't an episode where Daphne gets shoved underneath the set with only her face showing. Not every sitcom character can have a backstory like Carla Tortelli to make it easy to write in actress pregnancies, I guess.

Season 8 is pretty dumb. I don't understand why Daphne's brother is still even a character on the show at this point (wasn't he just there for the wedding?) and the whole "I have to act like I'm married to Mel" thing Niles is stuck in really drags the whole thing down. Maybe we should have skipped to season 11 after Niles and Daphne ran away in the Winnebago.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farrier Theaks posted:

It was the 90s and early 2000s and things were somewhat less than woke

Yeah I started watching Cheers off and on and got really weirded out by Sam literally breaking in the door to Diane's apartment.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That would have been best, yes. Daphne's family poisoned the show. Ronnie was pretty bad too.

Really I just missed Claire. Claire ruled.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The explanation they eventually go with isn't half bad. Niles acting like he has a stick up his rear end when Daph's therapist/counselor gives an opinion is just a bad thing.

Later Fraze is just lousy with dumb tertiary characters... Daphne's family, the dumb 20 year old "high school senior" stoner that Frais tutors so he can bang the dude's mom... just ugh.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah I started watching Cheers off and on and got really weirded out by Sam literally breaking in the door to Diane's apartment.

dont worry in the next to last episode he gets woke and shits all over himeslf and the show

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lmao i just saw this episode for the very first time and was like "holy poo poo call the cops" and diane did not disappoint

e:

The Saucer Hovers posted:

dont worry in the next to last episode he gets woke and shits all over himeslf and the show

really? spoiler me cuz there's a million seasons of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Solice Kirsk posted:

That would have been best, yes. Daphne's family poisoned the show. Ronnie was pretty bad too.

Really I just missed Claire. Claire ruled.

Anthony LaPaglia's wikipedia page says he was only in 8 episodes of Frasier. No loving way it has only been 8 episodes. It feels like 8 seasons. You're telling me there's more Simon-esque garbage in this show? No wonder you all have been talking poo poo about the later seasons.

The strangest part of watching Frasier right after Cheers (especially in an all-you-can-consume setup like Netflix) is the realization that I've been watching Kelsey Grammer play the same dude for sixteen years of his life in less than a year of my own. It's like he's aging at an accelerated rate and it's weird as hell because there's nothing else out there comparable. If M.A.S.H. had gotten a decade-long spinoff maybe I wouldn't be so weirded out by it.

Tech chat: do computers ever become relevant again in Frasier? There's one episode where he and Niles are trying to write a book together and they use an older laptop, but that's all I really remember in terms of computers. Cheers had an entire story arc that involved a computer in the late 80s but it's like tech (outside of cell phones) doesn't exist in Frasier.

^^^ Cheers spoilers: Sam joins a sex addiction group at the end of the final season of Cheers