Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Been with that duchess again?

three old ladies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RottenK posted:

no, the other CBT

[e] gently caress, late

Ah yes, mopeds and light motorcycles against racism :v:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The other CBT, then.

Fascists on motorbikes?

E: gently caress sake.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

Nobody was forced to respond to Rakosi but hey look, he got banned.
Bought his way out of it already I see. $10 more to the Lowtax spine fund.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Bought his way out of it already I see. $10 more to the Lowtax spine fund.

If only there were a real life way to turn racism into healthcare.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

OwlFancier posted:

Racists have perfectly good organs, excepting the brain

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dunno necessarily how I feel about metal gear rising tommy robinson's spine out and giving it to lowtax tbh.

Might contain enough racism in the CNS to be contagious. That's how you get some kind of racist kuru.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Obliterati posted:

Racists have perfectly good organs, excepting the brain

The brain would be more saleable than most:

Perfectly good brain

never used.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The origin of the NHS owes more than most would like to admit to imperialism and nationalism.

Well, most except all the angry pork men shouting "it's not the International Health Service" whenever a third generation British Asian person gets emergency treatment faster than they get their blood pressure prescription renewed.

Be nice if we could keep it going without those things though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol the house of lords voted to make Adonis stfu

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hope it ends with him fighting them in a car park.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I knew american uni costs were insanely bad but jfc

https://twitter.com/dailyfreepress/status/1106580114584883200

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Obviously need a rich, vaguely famous Mum to "donate" to the University.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Don't forget to factor in the cost of bribery.

Edit
drat it, too slow

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

communism bitch posted:

three old ladies
i’m not familiar with bingo, what number is this?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jose posted:

I knew american uni costs were insanely bad but jfc

https://twitter.com/dailyfreepress/status/1106580114584883200

Creating a system where entering into a loan for this amount is required to get a job is surely a modern form of indenture?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

I think it does come in different forms and once you get used to externalizing your desire for suffering it becomes a lot harder to deal with it being directed back at you again. And yes there are people who just start out externalizing it and never had any tolerance for it being done to them, self inflicted or otherwise, but I do think there's overlap in the young, online, alt right between the two, moreso than the more traditional right.

Oh definitely, I was just trying to get away from the idea that people are malicious without it being based in personal beliefs, prejudices or whatever. Whether it's people who've suffered or it's people with comfortable lives who want to kick down, they're still coming from the same place, wanting to see another group hurt because "they deserve it" based on some moral calculus

But yeah I agree that it seems to be a bigger overlap with the online crowd - and this is where I don't really agree with twisto tbh, online communities and social media especially are a catalyst, in the sense that they enable normalisation of right wing views and radicalisation to happen much more quickly and easily. The traditional right generally attracts people who are already in the tank, and aware enough that they'll identify with these openly hard-right groups. Bringing people over took effort, and relied a lot on a local presence

But now it's everywhere, all shades of right-wing thought are represented, your relatives can all go on Facebook and share their shittiest thoughts and get cheered on by everyone else, you can watch fun youtubes with comforting narratives that direct you towards other right-wing communities, and you can go on a chan where the absolute worst of humanity is celebrated and posted for laughs, and even bring your buddies along when you massacre people to the tune of some memes and bantz, and maybe none of them even live in your country

This isn't "shut all social media down" because duh, but it's absolutely a powerful platform and a way to effectively exploit people's tendencies and situations to build solid communities drawn from across the globe. The reach is incredible, plus it's so tied into traditional media (sharing news stories and commenting on them - hell even commenting on the news item itself) that even the start of the slippery slope is legitimised. It's an integral part of the (global) society we need to fix

sorry about the megaposts into the void, it's my birthday and I'm pissed!! (not in the good way)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

With ober, probably 69.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Azza Bamboo posted:

Creating a system where entering into a loan for this amount is required to get a job is surely a modern form of indenture?

honestly this really is just the logical conclusion of the neoliberal project of education, wherein it's just an investment like any other

they are entitles to charge as much as they please for this commodity, and to make it more attractive

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

baka kaba posted:

Oh definitely, I was just trying to get away from the idea that people are malicious without it being based in personal beliefs, prejudices or whatever. Whether it's people who've suffered or it's people with comfortable lives who want to kick down, they're still coming from the same place, wanting to see another group hurt because "they deserve it" based on some moral calculus

But yeah I agree that it seems to be a bigger overlap with the online crowd - and this is where I don't really agree with twisto tbh, online communities and social media especially are a catalyst, in the sense that they enable normalisation of right wing views and radicalisation to happen much more quickly and easily. The traditional right generally attracts people who are already in the tank, and aware enough that they'll identify with these openly hard-right groups. Bringing people over took effort, and relied a lot on a local presence

But now it's everywhere, all shades of right-wing thought are represented, your relatives can all go on Facebook and share their shittiest thoughts and get cheered on by everyone else, you can watch fun youtubes with comforting narratives that direct you towards other right-wing communities, and you can go on a chan where the absolute worst of humanity is celebrated and posted for laughs, and even bring your buddies along when you massacre people to the tune of some memes and bantz, and maybe none of them even live in your country

This isn't "shut all social media down" because duh, but it's absolutely a powerful platform and a way to effectively exploit people's tendencies and situations to build solid communities drawn from across the globe. The reach is incredible, plus it's so tied into traditional media (sharing news stories and commenting on them - hell even commenting on the news item itself) that even the start of the slippery slope is legitimised. It's an integral part of the (global) society we need to fix

sorry about the megaposts into the void, it's my birthday and I'm pissed!! (not in the good way)

Happy Birthday :)

We should never exploit people :(

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Guavanaut posted:

The origin of the NHS owes more than most would like to admit to imperialism and nationalism.

Can you expand on that?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's also a part of the liquidation of the middle class/the top classes tightening their grip on the 'meritocracy' that was under threat as higher education became a mass phenomenon. make elite education expensive enough and you really can restrict it to the elite

don't agree with indenture though, one can still learn a trade or something

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

I again point back to the suggestion that the specific way that social media is structured encourages troublesome behaviour. You have access to instant validation based on performance to an audience. Which is perhaps how in person interaction works to a degree too, but social media keeps everything much more superficial but also much more wide reaching. So you're gobbing off at the world's biggest party full of strangers and they're all either going wooo or screaming at you. Equal parts dangerously validating or utterly destructive to your mental wellbeing.

Shut down all social media can't be an answer but certainly it makes a lot of sense to point at the way it works and suggest that while it's great for "engagement" and selling advertisements to people, it's possibly very bad for your brain. You can't just put it back in the box because it's got the weight of capital behind it, but it's possibly useful to understand its effects.

To say nothing, of course, of the idea that maybe people rely on new media for validation and socialization because capitalism has utterly alienated them from less harmful approaches. New media is the fast food of social interaction. Engineered to be as addictive as possible without regard for the long term effects on its consumers, and popularized by the capitalist monopolization of the time and energy of its consumers.

This, of course, is why communists like old forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j66nyzeoO5M

Sort of relevant, I wish he had a video I could find that does this whole thing comprehensively. He hits on it over the course of a bunch of videos and I can't find the ones I want.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 15, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

V. Illych L. posted:

it's also a part of the liquidation of the middle class/the top classes tightening their grip on the 'meritocracy' that was under threat as higher education became a mass phenomenon. make elite education expensive enough and you really can restrict it to the elite

don't agree with indenture though, one can still learn a trade or something

But of course in every profession it's the university educated elite that will enter government one day. They'll press through a bill which makes their qualification or professional body a requirement to working in that profession, citing "quality" or "assurance" as their reason. Whether or not that is their true intention it has the effect of eroding away at "just learning" the trade and practicing it in a way that bypasses the educational establishment.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 15, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

Joe Biden is the reason that going bankrupt doesn't get rid of your student loans and before announcing he was running to be president he gave an interview and called millenials lazy and whiny

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

wooger posted:

Can you expand on that?

The NHS was built during the period of empire at the heart of the empire for the vast minority of the empire only. The British economy was directly buoyed by Iranian oil and indirectly by the exploitative relationship it had built from and with the Commonwealth's resources and economies to their detriment, giving the UK the economic capacity to operate a national health service.

Imperialism isn't a founding necessity of a universal healthcare system but it's undeniable that the NHS was able to be built as it was because of imperialism and never exported outwards.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

I again point back to the suggestion that the specific way that social media is structured encourages troublesome behaviour. You have access to instant validation based on performance to an audience. Which is perhaps how in person interaction works to a degree too, but social media keeps everything much more superficial but also much more wide reaching. So you're gobbing off at the world's biggest party full of strangers and they're all either going wooo or screaming at you. Equal parts dangerously validating or utterly destructive to your mental wellbeing.

Shut down all social media can't be an answer but certainly it makes a lot of sense to point at the way it works and suggest that while it's great for "engagement" and selling advertisements to people, it's possibly very bad for your brain. You can't just put it back in the box because it's got the weight of capital behind it, but it's possibly useful to understand its effects.

Yeah definitely - and I was gonna say the left obviously uses it in the same way, except that's about explaining people's situations through an understanding of capitalism and its political and social structures, and giving people hope for a fairer and more equal society. The right is out to demonise minorities and blame them for your problems. It's sort of the free speech debate only ramped up to incredible levels that I'm not sure we were really ready for

I saw a good article once about how the original promise of the internet was opening doors and freeing everyone to be who they wanted to be, but how it's actually ended up as a way for people to anonymously oppress and threaten others (especially minorities) but hell if I can find it right now

The chans seem like a bit of a crucible for the mental wellbeing stuff you're talking about. Just outright hostility to everyone, no real community or friendship - but at the same time it's anonymous and shitposting is encouraged. And if you're doing that, you're fine on twitter too, since you're just doing everything to get a reaction, good or bad. What's more concerning is people who feel comfortable casually saying terrible things under their own name :/

Dead Goon posted:

Happy Birthday :)

We should never exploit people :(

cheers bud :3:
be excellent to each other

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

wooger posted:

Can you expand on that?
^^^ What namesake said ^^^ plus they literally waited for the Malaysian tin mines and rubber plantations to get back to full capacity after WWII before bootstrapping it. On the backs of laborers who were never expected to be able to make use of it.

Medical internationalism it was not.

You could argue that imperial free movement in the form of the Windrush etc. offset that in part, but lol they shut that down quick once people started actually using it, and are now busy trying to send them back now they're old.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

My final paper was accepted today and I've bought my favorite beer. Since I almost never drink and it's a 10.5% beverage I'm pretty tipsy. Stay safe out there, you're good* folks

e: also gf is making vegan tikka massala like i'm in loving heaven rn

*usually

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TACD posted:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

baka kaba posted:

The chans seem like a bit of a crucible for the mental wellbeing stuff you're talking about. Just outright hostility to everyone, no real community or friendship - but at the same time it's anonymous and shitposting is encouraged. And if you're doing that, you're fine on twitter too, since you're just doing everything to get a reaction, good or bad. What's more concerning is people who feel comfortable casually saying terrible things under their own name :/

I regret immensely that you can’t use “niggerstomper58 syndrome” in polite conversation because I can never not think of that fyad post whenever a topic like this comes up. I guess terminal irony poisoning works as a stand-in but we just really aren’t equipped to deal with the worst aspects of the internet in our current society, at all

e: “regret” in the sense that I really wish he’d picked donglord69 or something

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Just call it Internet Poisoning

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Toxic Content Poisoning/Internet Poisoning

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Guavanaut posted:

Toxic Content Poisoning/Internet Poisoning

Universal Death Poisoning

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

There's no unique useful phrase for it because you're either online enough to get the jist of it intuitively or you aren't and need each step explained.

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

Does anybody have a link to that cartoon which contains people protesting and a guy moaning about them getting a coffee and using things from society?
I seem to remember it from around when people were camped outside Bank in London and around the UK.
It would just be far easier for me to post that in the other online groups I'm in, than get into a conversation with a lot of the people whining about kids with plastic bags on their marches today.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This one?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/KenReid_utv/status/1106589194678403072?s=19

Sounds like they are going to push for the mumbled plan May made in the commons about asking the Assembly before entering the backstop, something helpfully explained by this diagram

https://twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/1105485378767736832?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Has anyone pointed out to her that the EU's been very clear that it requires commitment to the backstop in return for any sort of deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

How is Stormont going to table this motion anyhow? Are the DUP going to agree to Sinn Feins terms? Or are they just going to use this as a dig against the party before the May LE?

Edit: just copped that the tradition date they mention is for the FT deal and not March 29/X date.

That brings another question - even if May gets the DUP on her side it won't really matter unless she wrangles the ERG/other rebels. She'd probably have the numbers for her deal without the DUP if she has her own party whipped/labour rebels/TIG

Skull Servant fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 15, 2019