Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Fart City posted:

Big Dave better get a loving bonus check for sticking to his guns under the Flaming Eye Of Goofy.

Sticking to his Gunn, surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

There’s one Marvel movie I absolutely won’t be seeing.

why

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

10 Beers posted:

:dudsmile:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cease to Hope posted:

it seems weird for disney to have stuck by this for so long only to back down now

Maybe they did just to spite WB and gently caress up the Suicide Squad reboot? :v:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

10 Beers posted:

It was there. I saw it.

You were braver

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think the black order lacks clear motivation, they are just henchmen and serve Thanos. That much is pretty clear

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ebony Maw was better than like 90% of Marvel baddies on his own and probably should have survived.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Maybe they did just to spite WB and gently caress up the Suicide Squad reboot? :v:

They failed at erasing a mustache, let’s see how they do with a whole man

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The executive that made the decision to fire Gunn retired at the start of year. They were never going to back track on the decision and make him look bad while he was still with company.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gunn is a gross piece of poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I said come in! posted:

He was hired to be one back in the day.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

According to the article, he'll make Suicide Squad 2 (or whatever it's called now) and then Guardians 3. Honestly, his getting hired by a rival studio to make a similar superhero movie makes Disney's reversal of firing him even stranger to me.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

James Gunn is good and makes good movies so it is good that he has been hired by marvel to make more good movies

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Disney's laying the seeds for a Marvel v DC crisis-style crossover.

The Disney Marvel/Disney Fox merger will be a test run for the lead up. Captain America/Cyclops team-up will beget a Captain America/Superman team-up.

This'll all happen in about 10-15 years so all the performances will be de-aged cg mocap.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

He made lovely offensive jokes a decade ago which he apologized for *before* it was a contovercy. Wanting to crucify someone for that on SA of all places is odd.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fantastic news that Gunn is back. His firing was so god drat dumb.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aces High posted:

who is the old man at the bottom of the image?

Nice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Seriously though, it really was Batista who almost single-handedly turned the widespread opinion around on the situation.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

He made lovely offensive jokes a decade ago which he apologized for *before* it was a contovercy. Wanting to crucify someone for that on SA of all places is odd.

They whom are without a lil bit of cringe in their post history cast the first stone.

Basebf555 posted:

Seriously though, it really was Batista who almost single-handedly turned the widespread opinion around on the situation.

i'd like to think so, but Disney wanted the Fox merger to close and any tangential drama got BTFO immediately. I'm sure that "quiet conference" with gunn and the Disney ceo were basically "we'll bring you back on post merger".

incoherent fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 15, 2019

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/occamsrancor/status/1106629305327587329

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

That's retarded. You're retarded.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So loving good.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Glad to see he's back. His jokes were in poor taste but they were obviously just that.. especially considering his work at the time.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The executive that made the decision to fire Gunn retired at the start of year. They were never going to back track on the decision and make him look bad while he was still with company.

Who is this now? I thought Iger was the one who had Gunn fired

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Almost Blue posted:

According to the article, he'll make Suicide Squad 2 (or whatever it's called now) and then Guardians 3. Honestly, his getting hired by a rival studio to make a similar superhero movie makes Disney's reversal of firing him even stranger to me.

Honestly, I think two things helped Gunn out: He firstly didn't bad-mouth Marvel/Disney even ONCE during this whole ordeal. He acted the utmost professional and gracious, thanking them for allowing him to work under them in the first place even, while getting immediately snatched up to do "The" Suicide Squad (ugh) showed he was still a hot commodity and maybe the guys in charge of the decision didn't have the proper perspective on it. If WB could shrug off the tweets in an instant to work with him, maybe it mattered less than Disney's execs thought, after all.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Who is this now? I thought Iger was the one who had Gunn fired

I heard it was Alan Horn, and that Iger was simply allowing the person he put in charge of the division to make the call himself, even if he disagreed with it. There's also some talk that someone mis-reported or mis-construed what the situation was when a meeting on the subject took place (saying it was unanimous to fire Gunn when it wasn't)

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Apoplexy posted:

I heard it was Alan Horn, and that Iger was simply allowing the person he put in charge of the division to make the call himself, even if he disagreed with it. There's also some talk that someone mis-reported or mis-construed what the situation was when a meeting on the subject took place (saying it was unanimous to fire Gunn when it wasn't)

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the info

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fart City posted:

The entire finale is Gaurdians Of The Galaxy is a battle for Xandar, a planet we are repeatedly shown to be well-populated, and which is presented as a ruling power in that part of the universe. Its destruction happens before the Marvel Studios logo comes up in Infinity War, and is afforded only a passing reference.

Hell yeah, watertight storytelling.

The director talked about that after Infinity War came out. Early drafts of the story did open with the fall of Xandar, but they decided to go with the Asgardian opening instead and cut Xandar, on the basis that the movie was already really long, they wanted to open with a direct gut punch to the heroes and viewers, and felt that people weren't terribly attached to Xandar.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm glad Gunn is back if only because it means Drax is also coming back/won't be killed off. Bautista is great

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Mike Cernovich posted:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Apoplexy posted:

That's retarded. You're retarded.

Heyyy can we cool it with the ableism

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1106633508657651712

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

After all that, I’d forgive Affleck for never wanting to look at a bat-symbol again in his life. But, despite all this, he’s apparently still quite happy to discuss the character and his future. Entertainment Tonight Canada recently asked him about what he thought was next for Batman, and here’s what Big Ben had to say:

“I’m looking forward to it. They’ve got a great director. They’re doing a kind of, I don’t want to give away anything because they get…but they’re doing a young version, a more starting-out version with a younger guy.”

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/ben-affleck-talks-next-batman-will-like

Like, why keep asking Ben about Batman after leaving the role?

Also, there's some random site claiming The Flash movie is eyeing November 2019 to start production.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Batman is in a ridiculous place right now and I have zero idea what you do while the spectre of the Nolan Trilogy still haunts the whole place. Like that just IS batman to a lot of people right now and trying to memory-hole it and slot him into the new DC universe tone is just confusing and bad.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/ben-affleck-talks-next-batman-will-like

Like, why keep asking Ben about Batman after leaving the role?

Also, there's some random site claiming The Flash movie is eyeing November 2019 to start production.

The guy who wrote that article seems pretty cool though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

He's not though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Batman is in a ridiculous place right now and I have zero idea what you do while the spectre of the Nolan Trilogy still haunts the whole place. Like that just IS batman to a lot of people right now and trying to memory-hole it and slot him into the new DC universe tone is just confusing and bad.

just ditch bruce wayne for a while maybe? there's comic characters you could use, or go with the obvious not-dick-grayson character from Rises.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I dunno I think after 3 Spider-Men and a bunch of other super heroes rebooting on TVs and movies an etc we are probably in the best place right now where people are going to have the right mindset to just go with it. If they hated Batfleck then presumably they are primed to be willing to accept the alternate direction, especially if they can rationalize it as "the studio giving fans what they really want". If they liked Batfleck then I would guess they are fine with whatever alternate takes on the character.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

this is a weird take when batman is probably the superhero that's had the most big iterations in modern pop culture

like, the nolan trilogy ended 7 years ago i don't think it's this elephant in the room that has to be addressed in order to keep making batmans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Yeah Batman occupies a very rare space as a character more akin to James Bond or even Dracula than other comic book characters in that it can be infinitely rebooted and reinvented without losing its pop culture equity.