Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Gejimayu posted:

Who would you recommend as a film maker that just makes movies that have a lot to unpack and reward multiple viewings?

Terry Gilliam does this well (my fondest memory of this is seeing The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and noticing a small banner in a store hawking "Only 365 shopping days until Christmas", might need to give it another rewatch to find the actual image) but recently I've been re-watching MANIAC on netflix, which is an incredibly subtle show with a whole bunch of easily missed callbacks and references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don't like this new skinny Jonah Hill

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

oldpainless posted:

I don't like this new skinny Jonah Hill

His idols were belushi, candy, and farley, so he made a choice to have a different ending.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
Not exactly subtle but I just got a new 1080p version of Monty Python and the Holy Grail after reading about it in this thread and after having not seen it for about twenty years spent at least five minutes swearing and loving with vlc in the beginning trying to turn the subtitles off until I let it play long enough and the title card came up. They had no idea how well that joke would have played 45 years later but boy it did in a big way.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

James Woods posted:

Not exactly subtle but I just got a new 1080p version of Monty Python and the Holy Grail after reading about it in this thread and after having not seen it for about twenty years spent at least five minutes swearing and loving with vlc in the beginning trying to turn the subtitles off until I let it play long enough and the title card came up. They had no idea how well that joke would have played 45 years later but boy it did in a big way.

Ahahahaha this is great.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Olaf The Stout posted:

His idols were belushi, candy, and farley, so he made a choice to have a different ending.

Holy poo poo. That really is Jonah Hill? I was going to make a joke that it looked like a skinny Jonah Hill and it is Jonah Hill.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I'm happy for him.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

He's a really excellent actor and you should watch MANIAC

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
It is very good.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

bell jar posted:

He's a really excellent actor and you should watch MANIAC

I still think he should have won the Oscar for Moneyball.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I love the scene in This Is The End were the other guys are busting his balls about his delivery of serious lines, then when he stops, takes a second, and gives it an honest go, they're like. "Ok yeah, that was actually really good"

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I love the scene in This Is The End were the other guys are busting his balls about his delivery of serious lines, then when he stops, takes a second, and gives it an honest go, they're like. "Ok yeah, that was actually really good"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-CfENbH763M

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gejimayu posted:

Who would you recommend as a film maker that just makes movies that have a lot to unpack and reward multiple viewings?

Ben Wheatley.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gejimayu posted:

For content: does anyone have a favorite director that they would include here, but their movies are so full of subtleties that they just don't bother because it'd be a long list? I feel like Charlie Kaufman makes me feel like this. Sometimes the Coen Bros as well. Who would you recommend as a film maker that just makes movies that have a lot to unpack and reward multiple viewings?

I was going to say, Adaptation might be the best movie for this kind of thing. There are layers and layers, hidden 'gags' (though they're not meant to really be funny). That movie is one of my favourites, because it's just so good. And it's not reliant on a gimmick, because it's got a genuinely good story, excellent acting, probably Nicolas Cage at his professional peak, because he's really all over the map. Everyone in it is fantastic, Chris Cooper sells the gently caress out of his role. And then you get into all of the meta stuff.

My favourite quick example of something from that movie is the 'struggling' brother (was that Charlie, or Donald?) attending the writing workshop, and the speaker, played by Brian Cox, yells out 'and for god's sake, DON'T USE NARRATION!'.

Up until that very moment, Cage as Charlie or Donald (I really can't remember which one was doing poorly, I think it was Charlie) was narrating everything, and from that moment on in the film, he doesn't.

EDIT: It really is a movie about the movie you're watching, which was supposed to be based on a book about a flower.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Adaptation is a movie about the making of a movie about the writing of a book about the writing of an article about a flower.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Kramdar posted:

I still think he should have won the Oscar for Moneyball.

He was the best part of The Wolf of Wall Street.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Adaptation is a movie about the making of a movie about the writing of a book about the writing of an article about a flower.

Ok, yeah, this is a better way to think of it.

And that makes the movie's cover art/main poster make so much more sense.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

This is a good article, and "We Are The Mutants" looks like it has a lot of interesting little pieces of analysis. Gonna be digging through this site for a while. :hfive:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Captain Hotbutt posted:

This is a good article, and "We Are The Mutants" looks like it has a lot of interesting little pieces of analysis. Gonna be digging through this site for a while. :hfive:

Ugh, he missed the best bit: Reese ducks into the club while everyone is distracted by Arnie’s entrance. In fairness, it’s on screen for about a second.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

also he forgot to mentiohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z37R39-mff8

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
This is such a masterclass of an action scene. The tension of:
- trying to hide in a nightclub
- realizing the creepy guy she saw (Reese) is stalking her
- Reese barely shooting Arnie in time
- Arnie almost hitting Reese as he goes for cover
- Getting trapped under the dead clubgoer
- The shock of realizing Arnie's unstoppable, and that Reese is actually there to help her
- The race to the car, which is facing the wrong way.
- Arnie clawing at her face just out of reach

That's all packed into 4-5 minutes. The stakes are high, and Arnie comes so close. There's few action scenes I can recall that come anywhere near as tense.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ya theres a ton of meat in that, i love it so much

also Sarah and Kyle are my hearts together seriously

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That scene is proof that the first Terminator is a horror movie and the rest are action.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
That's a really good point. I take it back, it's a masterclass scene in horror, not action.

It's reminiscent of the recent Resident Evil game where periodically you run into the slow-moving-but-relentless Mr X.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
More stuff for Your Name/Kimi No Na Wa, stolen from these blog posts:

- when Mitsuha does her hair, it's an intricate process that has something like nine steps. If Taki is inside her body, it's a lazy ponytail, presumably because he can't be bothered to deal with it

- the scene where Mitsuha and her sister perform the shrine dance was choreographed by an actual kabuki actor, and tells the story of the first comet to come to Itomori, one that created the lake the town surrounds

- whenever a character misses an important call or doesn't take a chance on something, they are on a bridge

- Mitsuha's string matches the "red string of fate" meant to connect them, but also matches the color palette of when Taki and Mitsuha finally meet on the mountain side at twilight.

Gonna have re-re-re-watch the movie now and ugly cry.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Gonna have re-re-re-watch the movie now and ugly cry.
Every. drat. Time. (First in a movie theater, which was rough.)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I was just watching 'Friend Like Me' on youtube and noticed that the genie's pink zappy magic isn't just lines, or wavy lines, it's made to look a bit like Arabic script. Never noticed that before.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

HopperUK posted:

I was just watching 'Friend Like Me' on youtube and noticed that the genie's pink zappy magic isn't just lines, or wavy lines, it's made to look a bit like Arabic script. Never noticed that before.

If you look really close, you'll see that Genie in no way looks, acts, or sounds like he's from Bel Air. He's only there because his mom actually sent him; she was scared of one little fight. It's really subtle, you gotta listen to the lyrics really close.

Also, Robin Williams is illiterate, he had to teach himself to read in order to summon Arabic script.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

Screaming Idiot posted:

If you look really close, you'll see that Genie in no way looks, acts, or sounds like he's from Bel Air.
It just occurred to me today that Bel Air was a remake of Diff'rent Strokes, but with a rich black family instead of a white one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

minato posted:

It just occurred to me today that Bel Air was a remake of Diff'rent Strokes, but with a rich black family instead of a white one.

The wacky new housemate from a different class/culture is probably a pretty old plot device.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Subtle movie moment:
Jonah Hill actually isn't skinny. You just think he is because he used to be fat.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The wacky new housemate from a different class/culture is probably a pretty old plot device.
Perfect strangers - wacky foreigner
The Odd Couple - wacky guy
Small Wonder - wacky robot

yup, checks out.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Scent of a Woman : Al Pacino trained himself to not visually focus on anything and forgot how to see.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

minato posted:

Perfect strangers - wacky foreigner
The Odd Couple - wacky guy
Small Wonder - wacky robot

yup, checks out.

The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse dates back to the 6th century B.C.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

synthetik posted:

Scent of a Woman : Al Pacino trained himself to not visually focus on anything and forgot how to see.

Hoo haa! *receives oscar

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hugh Jackman recieved real adamantium treatments.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And yet he refused to undergo shrink-ray therapy...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is true, but it was for his role in Eddie the Eagle

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

also Sarah and Kyle are my hearts together seriously

they're what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So what exactly sets Your Name apart from your regular mountain of crappy teen romance animes and what lessons does it teach that its imitators will inevitably ignore?