Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Cernovich is already trying to start the same poo poo back even though today is not a good day for that. hopefully this time they don't cave.

i doubt cerno has anything new to bring to the table so they're just gonna let him poo poo his pants and burn out i'd guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
If anything the outrage makes for some good PR for Guardians 3, but at the same time when you're working with infinite money like Disney is why bother with guerilla marketing. I feel like the delay in announcement was so they don't look as stupid for their initial decision.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

site posted:

The mods or maybe just admins can force change the av and the racist would be out some money but yeah

Yeah, the mods restored my avatar for me once after someone changed it to something that could literally have cost me my job. They won't do it for just anything, though: it either needs to be something that could get the forum in trouble, or something that could seriously compromise the goon IRL. If you're merely deeply offended, you need to shell out $5 like everyone else.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Jedit posted:

Yeah, the mods restored my avatar for me once after someone changed it to something that could literally have cost me my job. They won't do it for just anything, though: it either needs to be something that could get the forum in trouble, or something that could seriously compromise the goon IRL. If you're merely deeply offended, you need to shell out $5 like everyone else.

Lucky. I had to pay to undo the doxxing I suffered.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Puppy Time posted:

Was mostly just gonna back off from this thread for a while, but I'm kinda weirded out that someone not only gifted Archyduchess a rude redtext, but gave me two separate ones. I was worried I'd seriously offended someone despite my apology and edit, but now I'm suspecting shenanigans.

More cash for Lowtax's cyber spine, I guess.

Anyway, back to shutting the gently caress up here for a while.

That sucks and I apologize for essentially dragging you into whatever's going on.

FWIW as far as I'm concerned, I was more belligerent than I should have been in my initial post, and you apologized and edited your follow-up, we've both moved on and whoever is buying these titles can stop?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is jusy the long standing Conservative tradition of ineffectual protest by spending money on stuff they hate.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
How many copies of cyberfrog do you think they've preordered already

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

More than they'll ever receive.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I had thought the av buying interface suggested that an admin had to at least glance at it to make sure it wasn't the goat man.

I imagine some revision of policy could be useful. The intention I presume is that you would give someone big red text saying "I WON'T loving SHUT UP ABOUT ALPHINAUD IN FFXIV" not, all that other poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

joehonkie posted:

Looks like Gunn is back on GotG, so the chuds didn't win that one.

Still probably not gonna inherit the MCU anymore. :/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

With the third IGG, they can order even more!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Nessus posted:

I had thought the av buying interface suggested that an admin had to at least glance at it to make sure it wasn't the goat man.

I imagine some revision of policy could be useful. The intention I presume is that you would give someone big red text saying "I WON'T loving SHUT UP ABOUT ALPHINAUD IN FFXIV" not, all that other poo poo.

I'm assuming that if a mod/admin sees an extremely offensive avatar, they will replace it with a kitten or something. The trouble is, they cannot take action because they have no way to know who bought it. It would be great if the admins could see that, but that would require actual coding changes, which is out of the question now because of SA's financial problems.

My suggestion would be to increase the price of an avatar 'gift' to $25 or so. This would decrease the number of malicious avatars, while at the same time generate more money for the Lowtax's Spine Fund.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lurdiak posted:

Still probably not gonna inherit the MCU anymore. :/

I don't think he ever was. Remember after the first Avengers there was this big to do about how Whedon was going to be creative director for the whole MCU? That sure went places.

Besides, I think Gunn wants the freedom to go off and help make weird horror movies like Brightburn or the Belko Experiment.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gynovore posted:

I'm assuming that if a mod/admin sees an extremely offensive avatar, they will replace it with a kitten or something. The trouble is, they cannot take action because they have no way to know who bought it. It would be great if the admins could see that, but that would require actual coding changes, which is out of the question now because of SA's financial problems.

My suggestion would be to increase the price of an avatar 'gift' to $25 or so. This would decrease the number of malicious avatars, while at the same time generate more money for the Lowtax's Spine Fund.

The problem is that showing who bought it would involve tying the payment information more closely to the forums

It turns out limiting who can see all the payment info to "nobody if we can help it" is really good and potentially giving access to an entirely volunteer staff that has included a convicted child molester and Grover is

Not good

Even if it's just admins, that's still just some fuckin yahoos

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The problem is that showing who bought it would involve tying the payment information more closely to the forums

It turns out limiting who can see all the payment info to "nobody if we can help it" is really good and potentially giving access to an entirely volunteer staff that has included a convicted child molester and Grover is

Not good

Even if it's just admins, that's still just some fuckin yahoos

You misread my post. We can't implement any code changes at this point for several reasons, so increasing the cost of a gift avatar would be a stopgap measure.

And please lets stop pointing at aatrek and going "mods are bad mmmmkay?" He was one guy out of a hundred.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Nessus posted:

Why would anyone shut up about sweet Alphinaud.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Archyduchess posted:

Why would anyone shut up about sweet Alphinaud.

I mean there was a hot minute where Cythereal wouldn't shut up about how much they hate that poor dumb dingus elf boy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gynovore posted:

You misread my post. We can't implement any code changes at this point for several reasons, so increasing the cost of a gift avatar would be a stopgap measure.

And please lets stop pointing at aatrek and going "mods are bad mmmmkay?" He was one guy out of a hundred.

Even ignoring Aatrek, I really don't want the mods having access to my financial information.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Im not gonna pretend that given sa as it is is written on fifteen years of pieced together used toilet paper it would be possible, but surely in an ideal setup there could be a way to see a name attached to a purchase without giving up credit card info as well

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't want volunteer mods having any of my personal information.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dont you have to be logged in to buy that stuff? Just have the username attached

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

Dont you have to be logged in to buy that stuff? Just have the username attached

nope, you can do it while logged out

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well that seems like a bad idea

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Gynovore posted:

There was that car forums mod that was also posting on a white supremacist site

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Here's what I think: keep the purchase system the same, but change the items available to "avatar credits" and "platinum credits" and things like that. Once an item or items are purchased for an account, that account may apply these credits to their own or other's accounts, with a record viewable by either everyone or a mod/admin. That way people's personal info remains siloed, and mods can see who is being a problem.

As already said above, this requires coding changes and Lowtax's spine is way more important.

Maybe someone else has floated this already, I don't know. Good on them if they have.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gynovore posted:

Grover, the pied Piper of ham hocks, axemaniac, hondarider, the car guy that posted on a white supremacist forum, loosechanj, the endless parade of psychos who have modded ADTRW

Aatrek is hardly the only one and while yeah we've got some good mods we also get a lot of fuckin wing nuts by virtue of it being an all volunteer team

I don't want any of them having my info

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

fritz posted:

There was that car forums mod that was also posting on a white supremacist site

What? Who?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Here's what I think: keep the purchase system the same, but change the items available to "avatar credits" and "platinum credits" and things like that. Once an item or items are purchased for an account, that account may apply these credits to their own or other's accounts, with a record viewable by either everyone or a mod/admin. That way people's personal info remains siloed, and mods can see who is being a problem.

As already said above, this requires coding changes and Lowtax's spine is way more important.

Maybe someone else has floated this already, I don't know. Good on them if they have.

That would halve the cost of changing someone else's avatar, though. It's deliberately more expensive to discourage asshattery.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

All Mods are bastards

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
White supremacy?

You guys mean the Mustang dude? He wasn't a mod.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jedit posted:

That would halve the cost of changing someone else's avatar, though. It's deliberately more expensive to discourage asshattery.

Just make changing someone's av cost twice as many Lowtaxbux.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Just make changing someone's av cost twice as many Lowtaxbux.

That was my actual suggestion; increase the cost of a 'gift' avatar to $25 or maybe more. This would decrease the number of malicious avatar gifts, and also raise more money for the Lowtax Spine Fund.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay I guess I'm a terrible person but apparently Ron marz punched rich Johnston and all I can think is that's hilarious

https://twitter.com/Nick_Hanover/status/1107013257611673600?s=19

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
As long as we can establish some ground rules for how bad a comic has to be before you're allowed to run up and duff out a comics pro.

Like, hypothetically do you have to wait for Tom King to finish Heroes in Crisis or is it okay to punch him (no head or neck punch) now? Can you punch the editors that greenlit it? I know that everything last week with Keyboard John Gotti Frank Tieiri was clearly not endorsing con violence so I guess he's protected but Marz and Murphy at least sound like they're up for sort of round robin fisticuffs at conventions.

edit: this was not directed at you site for laughing at the thought of two dumpy old men getting into a brawl during Barcon, but at Marz/Murphy/etc. who seem to unironically be celebrating the act as Good and Just.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What the gently caress did Rich Johnson write that was worth being punched? Did he insult the guy's family or something?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

What the gently caress did Rich Johnson write that was worth being punched? Did he insult the guy's family or something?

Marz was starting to get really goddamn sick of Johnston in general and asked Johnston to stop covering him on BC. Johnston agreed and even shook on it, then, a couple months later, went right back to bothering Marz. Marz' reaction was to find Johnston and deck him.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Rhyno posted:

White supremacy?

You guys mean the Mustang dude? He wasn't a mod.

Yeah after doing some investigation he ("dalabast") wasn't a mod, just a well-defended friend of some (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3145535&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3145609) which in the context of 'one doesn't want personal information available to mods / admins' is still pretty close to an example.

(also of note one can see how far ten years of 'trying to be better people on this forum' w/r/t/ things like slurs has brought us to)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Marz was starting to get really goddamn sick of Johnston in general and asked Johnston to stop covering him on BC. Johnston agreed and even shook on it, then, a couple months later, went right back to bothering Marz. Marz' reaction was to find Johnston and deck him.

It's not something I'd endorse, but I absolutely can't find it in me to give a drat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

E: Don't wanna get in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Roth posted:

All Mods are bastards