Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

psydude posted:

Ask the UK how their public healthcare system handled Wannacry.

We need to have public healthcare for securing it to really be a priority right? Seems like the UK is way ahead of us on this front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Voting for the guy who voted to lift restrictions on oil exports leading to expansion of drilling in the Appalachian Basin and a tripling of US oil experts in two years and in 2019 has no real stance on public healthcare just because he has knowledge of infosec is definitely the gooniest take

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

We need to have public healthcare for securing it to really be a priority right? Seems like the UK is handily ahead of us on this front.

I don't see how cyber security and public healthcare are mutually exclusive? One is a matter of national security and the other is a matter of domestic welfare. But given how horribly secured most healthcare systems are, it's probably best to have both working in tandem.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Eej posted:

Voting for the guy who voted to lift restrictions on oil exports leading to expansion of drilling in the Appalachian Basin and a tripling of US oil experts in two years and in 2019 has no real stance on public healthcare just because he has knowledge of infosec is definitely the gooniest take

It's his turn!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Saying it's a tick in the plus column is not saying there aren't a billion more ticks in the minus column.

Calm down before jumping on the you aren't pure enough train.

I just want to see how it gets spun in the primaries as the olds will he terrified of a hacker!!!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

psydude posted:

I don't see how cyber security and public healthcare are mutually exclusive? One is a matter of national security and the other is a matter of domestic welfare. But given how horribly secured most healthcare systems are, it's probably best to have both working in tandem.

You're the one that said to ask the UK about wanna cry so maybe you should look inward for the answer. I'm responding to the inferences your post created.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

There was a post in here a few days ago about a group of armed men that stormed the North Korean embassy in Madrid and took a bunch of documents before fleeing. Most local papers pinned it on the CIA, but WaPo is reporting that it was probably a North Korean resistance group named Cheollima Civil Defense, whose goal is to overthrow the North Korean Government.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.514452439016

quote:

The group behind the late February operation is known as Cheollima Civil Defense, a secretive dissident organization committed to overthrowing the Kim dynasty, people familiar with the planning and execution of the mission told The Washington Post.

The group’s alleged role in the attack has not previously been reported, and officials from the governments of North Korea, the United States and Spain declined to comment on it.

. . .

“This group is the first known resistance movement against North Korea, which makes its activities very newsworthy,” said Sung-Yoon Lee, a North Korea expert at Tufts University.

The identity of the assailants is a particularly sensitive topic given the delicate nature of Trump and Kim’s relationship.
. . .

Any hint of U.S. involvement in an assault on a diplomatic compound could have derailed the talks, a prospect the CIA would likely be mindful of. “Infiltrating a North Korean embassy days before the nuclear summit would throw that all into jeopardy,” said Sue Mi Terry, a former Korea analyst at the CIA. “This is not something the CIA would undertake.”

The agency declined to comment.

According to Spanish media reports, the assailants tied up the embassy staff, put hoods over their heads and asked them questions. They spoke in Korean and appeared to be Asian.

. . .

The Cheollima group, which also goes by the name Free Joseon, came to prominence in 2017 after it successfully evacuated the nephew of Kim Jong Un from Macau when potential threats to his life surfaced. The nephew was the son of Kim Jong Nam, the North Korean leader’s exiled half brother who was assassinated in a nerve-gas attack in a Malaysian airport in 2017. Kim Jong Nam was widely believed to have been killed by the regime, making his son a likely target.

Members of the Cheollima group transported Kim Han Sol out of Macau with the help of the governments of the United States, China and the Netherlands, which provided travel and visa assistance, the group told the Wall Street Journal in 2017.

For safety reasons, the leader of the group does not disclose his name, and his identity is known only to a small group of people.

In March, the group published a manifesto, calling on North Koreans inside and outside the country to resist Pyongyang in ways big and small.

“To those within the system who hear this declaration: We call on you to defy your oppressors. Challenge them openly or resist them quietly,” the declaration said. “To those of like-mind and like-spirit of our diaspora: We call upon you to join our revolution.”

Since the attack on the embassy in Spain, the group has asserted responsibility for the defacing of the North Korean Embassy in Malaysia’s capital, Kuala Lumpur, on Monday. Authorities said four men who wore hats and face masks painted the graffiti. The group has not claimed responsibility for the raid in Madrid.

“In its messaging, the group said they have formed a provisional government to replace the regime in Pyongyang,” said Terry, who is a scholar at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington. “They have now shown the seriousness of their intent and some capabilities to carry out operations. We will see in the coming months the extent of their capabilities.”

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You're the one that said to ask the UK about wanna cry so maybe you should look inward for the answer. I'm responding to the inferences your post created.

I was making a joke about hot sorcery's post, which implied that it's a zero sum game. For the uninitiated, the NHS' entire network was taken offline in 2017 by Wannacry, which turbofucked the healthcare system for a number of weeks. Yes, we need public healthcare. But cybersecurity is also incredibly crucial to protecting critical infrastructure sectors, which includes, among many other things, hospital systems. It's possible to be in favor of two things.

e: NHS, not DHS. Been flying too much.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 15, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Well every headline is now about AOC slamming people of faith

https://mobile.twitter.com/AOC/status/1106408088603713536

I hope the Omar thing has taught her a little lesson called NEVER APOLOGIZE

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

shame on an IGA posted:

I loving love this.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Not to mention the literal loving Nazis who killed someone in Charlottesville, only for our dear leader to handwave the whole thing away.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Lmao at that headline telling me what I've known most my life lmao. Just :discourse:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I love all the people who are just absolutely determined to misunderstand everything she says and then attack her for being stupid for saying what they think they heard. Hmmm, "thoughts and prayers". Where have I heard that phrase lately? drat I just cannot possibly remember it. What that you say, there was a mass shooting in NZ? drat I just cannot remember where I heard that phrase. Oh well time to poo poo on AOC and say she's attacking the murder victims' faith.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

I love all the people who are just absolutely determined to misunderstand everything she says and then attack her for being stupid for saying what they think they heard. Hmmm, "thoughts and prayers". Where have I heard that phrase lately? drat I just cannot possibly remember it. What that you say, there was a mass shooting in NZ? drat I just cannot remember where I heard that phrase. Oh well time to poo poo on AOC and say she's attacking the murder victims' faith.

Look, we offered our thoughts and our prayers. What else can we do to prevent this tragic incident that we've enabled by coddling right wing fringe groups in order to preserve our shrinking grip on power???

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The mildest of millenial takes and people get mad

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

They'll get mad just if she speaks.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That Works posted:

They'll get mad just if she speaks exists.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

That Works posted:

They'll get mad just if she speaks.

It’s getting to be if she breathes or has her picture published.

I really need to stop following vet and firearm stuff on Instagram and just stick with dogs

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Also you Glock guys, Lenny Magill aka glockstore and his son, surprise are white nationalists.

https://identifyevropa.org/derek-magill-modern-white-nationalist/?fbclid=IwAR1ikRmkSZAqVrrIugj9tPLNnuyAz0wd-12SlCUWvCJ0S75UWr4R-dFRi9A

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm shocked.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I’m pissed that stickers for evropa keep showing up in my area. Im not sure who they’re targeting but it’s some poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Internet Wizard posted:

Seeing some (completely unconfirmed) social media stuff about the second mosque attack being cut short because somebody started shooting back at the terrorists, so there's some good news at least (hopefully)

I'm a little late, but I find it really unlikely. It's possible someone lived nearby and had a gun in their home and was able to get to it in time, but carrying weapons here is enormously illegal outside of hunting purposes and if you carry a loaded one, enjoy prison.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Reddit banned the watchpeopledie subreddit because they kept sharing the mosque video.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Reddit banned the watchpeopledie subreddit because they kept sharing the mosque video.

Can they also ban the_donald for causing the mosque video

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

https://youtu.be/DOqb_UzJSUQ

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

And have they banned nazis?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
And, scene.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1106641548740100097?s=19

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

This needs an embed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

So the President just equated the situation on the southern US border with the imaginary situation that motivated a mass shooting in NZ.

Cool. Great.

I gave up drinking for Lent but I may have to hit "pause" on that tonight.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Hair Furor just vetoed that Bill.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Gonna be cool when it comes back again this time in veto-proof majority and he melts the gently caress down.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Vasudus posted:

Gonna be cool when it comes back again this time in veto-proof majority and he melts the gently caress down.

There aren't going to be more people voting to override the veto than voting for the bill with the promised cover of a veto in the first place.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i'm disappointed but not surprised

gently caress you trump

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Vasudus posted:

veto-proof majority

*in Chappell voice* Y’all got any of them... veto proof majorities?

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

gently caress you trump

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vasudus posted:

lol what reality are you living in?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I am high as gently caress on Mucinex DM because I'm dying. Let me have my moment.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://mobile.twitter.com/espiers/...30%2Fframe.html

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1106569384993193985?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1106654660692185093?s=20