Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Keep Bruce Wayne, but give him the superhero identity he always should have had: Spider-man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If there is a version of Batman who dominates I would argue it is TAS not Nolan. It influences or is the comparison for so many things. Even so I think most most audiences can accept the change easy enough. Hell we are in an era of partial reboots where a sequel ignores other sequels like Halloween or Terminator

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bond movies are still being made when so many people still think the best versions were from a half-century ago. It doesn't matter if Nolan's or Burton's or anyone's version looms large, successful and good Batman movies can continue to be made.

RBA Starblade posted:

Keep Bruce Wayne, but give him the superhero identity he always should have had: Spider-man

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 15, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

RBA Starblade posted:

:hmmyes:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I want that bootleg Batman toy movie so bad. Make Dr. Jackstraw real.

Edit: The Abnormal Drug Trafficker. I forgot that part.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I want that bootleg Batman toy movie so bad. Make Dr. Jackstraw real.

Edit: The Abnormal Drug Trafficker. I forgot that part.

My favourite part other than the Spider-Man twist is "Chief of Ninja Group", like Ra's is just some CEO who gave Bruce advice.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Aranofsky should be allowed to do his Batman spec script where Batman just drives around in suped-up caddy beating the poo poo out of regular degular muggers with a pipe and Alfred is an alcoholic mechanic.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
okay hold the gently caress up

Fart City posted:

regular degular

what

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Regular degular

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Cease to Hope posted:

what

Regular degular

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fart City posted:

Regular degular

oh

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cease to Hope posted:

what

A lot of us listen to We Hate Movies and the hosts of that say a lot of really weird and hilarious poo poo that sticks in our brains

"Regular-degular" is an example of this, along with "gleep-glop aliens" and "dick beer"

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

They did Lex as Zuckerberg a few years ago, why not Batman as Elon Musk?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

Gunn is a gross piece of poo poo.

I'll go through your loving post history bitch

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bedshaped posted:

I'll go through your loving post history bitch

I'll do it for you! They are all gross and poo poo!

But seriously here are some of the things James Gunn said that resulted in him rightfully being fired:

“I like when little boys touch me in my silly place.”
"The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!’”

Can't find the exact quote right now, but there was another where he described getting pleasure out of watching a monkey masturbate on a child.

There's too many talented directors in Hollywood to keep trash around. I truly believe this was a terrible move on Disneys part no amount of calling me the R word is going to change that.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

I said come in! posted:

There's too many talented directors in Hollywood to keep trash around. I truly believe this was a terrible move on Disneys part no amount of calling me the R word is going to change that.

not looking to fight you out of this conclusion, but I am curious what you think someone who's hosed up like this should do, or if there is even anything anyone can do

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Brother Entropy posted:

this is a weird take when batman is probably the superhero that's had the most big iterations in modern pop culture

like, the nolan trilogy ended 7 years ago i don't think it's this elephant in the room that has to be addressed in order to keep making batmans

I mean you're not wrong, but that is my take on it and I think it's a lot to do with why no one gave a poo poo about Batfleck. Maybe that was too soon, or maybe it was just a miscast, but I think people are gonna have a hard time going back to a Batman who fits into a more marvel-inspired, lighthearted, DC universe.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I mean you're not wrong, but that is my take on it and I think it's a lot to do with why no one gave a poo poo about Batfleck.

he never had his own movie (and his two movies are not good but that's more Snydome territory)

i don't think gritty conflicted 90s antihero batman played by ben affleck was an impossible sale but we really never got enough time with him to appreciate or reject the concept on its own merits

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Just re-release Batman 66 in theaters

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Don't worry, we'll be up to Batman 66 before you know it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Worth it just for the scene where Burt Ward talks poo poo to Adam West while under the influence of the bad guy gas

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I'll do it for you! They are all gross and poo poo!

But seriously here are some of the things James Gunn said that resulted in him rightfully being fired:

“I like when little boys touch me in my silly place.”
"The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!’”

Can't find the exact quote right now, but there was another where he described getting pleasure out of watching a monkey masturbate on a child.

Genuine question. Do you think every comedian who told The Aristocrats is an objectively bad person who doesn't deserve to be hired?

Again this is S A and though it has toned down as we aged there are plenty of similar jokes made on these forums. Are you going to say everyone who donated to Noted Offensive Joke Maker Lowtax is wrong for doing so?

Noted popular TV shows make similar jokes all the time. Family Guy is on what it's 15th season and it's cast includes (or included I haven't watched it) a pedophile and rapist both of which are played for humor.

Transgressive humor exists. Pretending it doesn't and these jokes are unheard of is silly. You can say they are lovely and I agree. Using them as a blanket judgement on some one for the rest of their life is excessive.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 15, 2019

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

ImpAtom posted:

Genuine question. Do you think every comedian who told The Aristocrats is an objectively bad person who doesn't deserve to be hired?

Again this is S A and though it has toned down as we aged there are plenty of similar jokes made on these forums. Are you going to say everyone who donated to Noted Offensive Joke Maker Lowtax is wrong for doing so?

Noted popular TV shows make similar jokes all the time. Family Guy is on what it's 15th season and it's cast includes (or included I haven't watched it) a pedophile and rapist both of which are played for humor.

Transgressive humor exists. Pretending it doesn't and these jokes are unheard of is silly. You can say they are lovely and I agree. Using them as a blanket judgement on some one for the rest of their life is excessive.

This put it better than I could. Again, it's worth mentioning that making poo poo, tasteless jokes has been a staple of popular culture since popular culture was a thing. Can you imagine if everyone on SA who had an offensive joke in their post history or Twitter feed was fired? I'd be hosed, along with everyone else. He genuinely apologised for being a dick, as we all have been at some point, he hasn't actually done anything wrong, in case we've forgotten, so let's move on.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I agree we should cancel family guy

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I agree we should cancel family guy

Seth would probably agree as long as he can keep doing the Orville.

My eyes keep blurring when I try to read this

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Uncle Wemus posted:

My eyes keep blurring when I try to read this

Sounds like the work of doctor jackstraw!

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
One of the most offensive jokes I've ever read was on this website, when a mod/admin told a woman who had frequent miscarriages "your poisoned womb is overcrowding heaven." And every poster at the time found it soooo ~hilarious~. I can't imagine the levels of hypocrisy required to post on this website and then take a stance against someone for being offensive in the past. Gunn realized his behavior was terrible (and it was!), then improved himself as a person. That's all you can really ask of someone.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also this is Hollywood. If saying offensive poo poo years ago is the worst Gunn has done, then he's probably among the best of the powerful dudes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I mostly agree but jesus christ please find a better argument than "every single SA poster is somehow partially responsible for every single post ever made on this 20 year old web forum".

Also a better argument than "I used to be a giant piece of poo poo so OBVIOUSLY everyone was!".

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 15, 2019

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Burkion posted:

I want Disney to fail but that's because I loving hate Disney and what they do and how they are

So you know

It's hard because I want Disney to fail because gently caress that giant media conglomerate, but at the same time, I have a lot of friends that work for Disney in different capacities and I'm happy that they have reliable, well-paying work.

I hate the company, but wish success for the workers.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

if cineD was typical of your average movie-goer at all there wouldn't be a Marvel to make IW. This place is fringe, in both how much we care and how much we analyze.

While I think you're an idiot fairly often, this is one of the truest things you've ever said.

I mean, gently caress, even on SA, every other subforum makes fun of CD for being :spergin:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Batman is in a ridiculous place right now and I have zero idea what you do while the spectre of the Nolan Trilogy still haunts the whole place. Like that just IS batman to a lot of people right now and trying to memory-hole it and slot him into the new DC universe tone is just confusing and bad.

Batman Beyond

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Martman posted:

Also this is Hollywood. If saying offensive poo poo years ago is the worst Gunn has done, then he's probably among the best of the powerful dudes.

Yeah, Gunn told some pretty abhorrent jokes a while ago, and I’m not one of those people who believes you shouldn’t be allowed to get offended at comedy, but they were also obviously jokes. It’s a far cry from what, like, Kevin Hart did. Or Cernovich himself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I mostly agree but jesus christ please find a better argument than "every single SA poster is somehow partially responsible for every single post ever made on this 20 year old web forum".

Also a better argument than "I used to be a giant piece of poo poo so OBVIOUSLY everyone was!".

Nobody said the former.

As far as the latter goes: If you genuinely have never made a joke you regretted when you were older or a joke that looks super bad to other people then yeah, I think you're in the minority. That doesn't mean it was necessarily about the same subject matter or that the joke is in good taste but acting like it's an irreparable tarnish on someone's character is confusing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, gently caress, even on SA, every other subforum makes fun of CD for being :spergin:

Every other subforum makes fun of every other subforum. It's like that geek hierarchy chart except the lines are also going all over the fucken place.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mordiceius posted:

Why the gently caress are you still here then?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody said the former.

Right here:

Marin Karin posted:

One of the most offensive jokes I've ever read was on this website, when a mod/admin told a woman who had frequent miscarriages "your poisoned womb is overcrowding heaven." And every poster at the time found it soooo ~hilarious~. I can't imagine the levels of hypocrisy required to post on this website and then take a stance against someone for being offensive in the past.

They're saying no one here is allowed to be offended by past jokes because one time a mod somewhere made a lovely dead baby joke? What? Calling me or anyone else a hypocrite because we didn't peace out on a web forum this size because we know there's other people here who suck? Should we not be on facebook or twitter either? There's plenty of terrible people there too. It's dumb.

ImpAtom posted:

As far as the latter goes: If you genuinely have never made a joke you regretted when you were older or a joke that looks super bad to other people then yeah, I think you're in the minority. That doesn't mean it was necessarily about the same subject matter or that the joke is in good taste but acting like it's an irreparable tarnish on someone's character is confusing.

Yeah exactly, it's subjective, which is why it's ridiculous for anyone here to be calling out of bounds on someone else for saying "nah I still think James Gunn sucks". I've been here for almost 18 years and I certainly don't recall making any hilarious jokes about raping kids, I think that's pretty hosed up and a really dumb thing for anyone at any age to be posting in a public place. The idea that a lot of people have done something that stupid and shortsighted doesn't make it any less stupid. I also think he's genuinely contrite, this his apology was thoughtful and honest, and have no problem with him directing another Guardians.

Like I said, I agree, but "everyone did it" and "you're on SA so you own a piece of everything ever posted here" are the lamest flawed arguments for the idea of forgiveness.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mordiceius posted:

It's hard because I want Disney to fail because gently caress that giant media conglomerate, but at the same time, I have a lot of friends that work for Disney in different capacities and I'm happy that they have reliable, well-paying work.

I hate the company, but wish success for the workers.

If it helps, they're more than on average treated like poo poo compared to other jobs in the same fields and their standards of working could be immensely improved. Though this is genuinely the biggest problem with nightmares like Disney- a lot of innocent, good people are going to get hurt trying to fight them. This is why, as bitter and as jaded as I am to any and all Disney products, of which include the MCU, I do not go into a frothing rage over them and do not actively try to ruin them for other people.

I don't want to be some rear end in a top hat who points out that Santa not only isn't real, but also that the Easter Bunny was a pedophile.

Also to make this dead certain clear- my earlier comment about nobody learning a drat thing?

Not about Disney hiring Gunn back. That's their choice as employers.

It's more about how this will now generate a new upwind for people excited for the next MCU Disney Product coming next decade starring Disney approved actors and Disney approved scripts.

Also, Gunn, you loving idiot, just walk away. Let them firing you MEAN something. Don't hop back on the moment they offer you the exact same job that they took away from you FOR NOTHING. It's an unenviable position but one that you should have loving taken man.

Instead, welcome back to the House of Mouse.

Leave 50% of all creative freedom at the door and don't worry about the action scenes

We'll handle those for you