Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah exactly, it's subjective, which is why it's ridiculous for anyone here to be calling out of bounds on someone else for saying "nah I still think James Gunn sucks". I've been here for almost 18 years and I certainly don't recall making any hilarious jokes about raping kids, I think that's pretty hosed up and a really dumb thing for anyone at any age to be posting in a public place. I also think he's genuinely contrite, this his apology was thoughtful and honest, and have no problem with him directing another Guardians.

Then I don't know where you've posted because those jokes are depressingly common. Hell we had a subforum which was/is called Anime Death Tentacle Rape and spoiler, the characters in anime are not usually adults and that joke didn't come from thin air.

I have no problem with disliking those kind of jokes. I dislike them myself no matter the form. I think it's 100% fine to say they're lovely jokes, but I think focusing on James Gunn and ignoring the overall culture when it is convenient for you is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s hard for me to not look at things from a creative stand point in this case, because if I started a series and put my heart and soul in it, then lost it....I would want it back?

Making art means things to people, and listening to Gunn talk about his process made him super relatable to me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also there’s an MJ thread on GBS if you want to see molestation jokes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Guardians 2 was kaka and maybe this ordeal will improve his writing skills.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

ImpAtom posted:

Then I don't know where you've posted because those jokes are depressingly common. Hell we had a subforum which was/is called Anime Death Tentacle Rape and spoiler, the characters in anime are not usually adults and that joke didn't come from thin air.

I have no problem with disliking those kind of jokes. I dislike them myself no matter the form. I think it's 100% fine to say they're lovely jokes, but I think focusing on James Gunn and ignoring the overall culture when it is convenient for you is weird.

Yeah, that's a bad dumb thing to name a forum and I'd expect to not have a fun time if I had to explain my like 50 posts in the Eva thread that would have that name attached to them to some prospective employer. I'd probably be able to, seeing as I didn't name the subforum and don't own this place, and think I could reasonably explain that it's a reprehensible joke name for what's actually a pretty tame anime discussion forum. Because I'm not responsible for what other people do on SA, or the "culture" of SA, no matter how bad it is. I think there's degrees to this, because if I was posting on like Stormfront or 8chan....then yeah those places have an overall "theme" that you do have to answer for, but SA's very general and very big. You can hang out in populated places here for a decade that aren't GBS or the drug forums or whatever racist corner of TFF people post terrible poo poo in, and I do.

James Gunn gets focused on because he personally made the jokes on his twitter. He's responsible. If he was on SA and someone two forums over made a kid rape joke, he wouldn't have been fired in the first place because he's not responsible for "the culture".

I'll put it this way, I have a child and if I found them posting rape jokes on twitter they wouldn't be in any less trouble just because they tried a search for the same joke, got 50k hits and called it the culture of online or whatever. That it's depressingly common isn't an absolvent for getting involved.

the idea that JG can be forgiven and we can move on doesn't require that we consider what he did in the first place "isn't that bad" or can be handwaved away as just a product of it's times. There ARE people who have been online for decades and didn't have 4chan troll phases, saying everyone does just perpetuates a wrong idea that being online is a license or an inevitable catalyst for being a lovely person.

People struggle with the same concept when it comes to something more serious: IRL historical racism. People want to soften past racism and racist history by saying "well that's just how it was back when my grandpa was that age, he can't be blamed", which might be partially true but it also erases people who fought against the concept of racism back in those days and brought us to a place where it's not ok to call dates N-word toes or whatever. So no we don't need to cancel grandpa but we also don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater and pretend it was ok back then just because a lot of people were virulent racists.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 16, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah, that's a bad dumb thing to name a forum and I'd expect to not have a fun time if I had to explain my like 50 posts in the Eva thread that would have that name attached to them to some prospective employer. I'd probably be able to, seeing as I didn't name the subforum and don't own this place, and think I could reasonably explain that it's a reprehensible joke name for what's actually a pretty tame anime discussion forum. Because I'm not responsible for what other people do on SA, or the "culture" of SA, no matter how bad it is.

James Gunn gets focused on because he personally made the jokes on his twitter. He's responsible. If he was on SA and someone two forums over made a kid rape joke, he wouldn't have been fired in the first place because he's not responsible for "the culture".

I'll put it this way, I have a child and if I found them posting rape jokes on twitter they wouldn't be in any less trouble just because they tried a search for the same joke, got 50k hits and called it the culture of online or whatever. That it's depressingly common isn't an absolvent for getting involved.

I think we're probably miscommunicating and I apologize for that. I'll try to rephase.

I think James Gunn is absolutely at fault for the jokes he made. I also think the jokes he made are, while really gross, being hugely overplayed in a way that other similar jokes wouldn't be. Offensive jokes are a minefield because yes, they can be genuinely hurtful or uncomfortable. They also can be a relief of pressure or an attempt to find comfort with uncomfortable situations. Every single person has their own metric for this and no metric is wrong. If a joke makes you uncomfortable then you are absolutely free to voice that feeling and any non-lovely person should at least respect that and shift their behavior.

What I don't agree with is the idea that making a lovely joke makes you a lovely person who deserves to be fired no matter how long ago it was and the reason I'm discussing the culture around it is because there's a weird disconnect with how Gunn's tweets are treated versus... well, the massive massive amount of jokes of that subject matter and how seriously it is treated. I brought up the Aristocrats because it's a time-honored comedian joke and there is documented footage of everyone from Hank Azaria to the staff of the Onion telling it. Trey Parker and Matt Stone literally made a career out of jokes about children being murdered and molested. In an era where South Park is aired on TV every loving week it's genuinely hard to see James Gunn's shitposts as being abnormally awful.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

James Gunn got focused on because he's an outspoken critic of Trump and the alt-right wanted a scalp after Roseanne got axed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

James Gunn got focused on because he's an outspoken critic of Trump and the alt-right wanted a scalp after Roseanne got axed.

To be honest this is kind of the elephant in the room when discussing this too. It's genuinely very hard to figure out how much discussion of Gunn's lovely jokes is genuine and how much of it is manufactured. This goes for both directions, I know plenty of people who are cheering him back because it is a Screw You to the alt-right crowd but probably would be less forgiving if it was Roseanne coming back on TV with a genuine apology. (I'm also not really counting Gunn and Roseanne's things in the same category but one was a response to the other so enjoy my lovely comparison.)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Oh well yeah, the whole campaign and how it was brought up was disingenuous as all out and faked outrage. We're mostly in agreement.

otoh I wouldn't blame Disney for not hiring any of the people you mentioned for things they said in the past. It's extremely dumb to see those jokes, address them, hire the man AND THEN LATER get offended to the point of firing over it. But I wouldn't be half as shocked if they just didn't hire him in the first place over them.

Doing things like that online risks future opportunities. Maybe not the opportunity to be a comedian, or make your own tv show, or write for the onion, or whatever.....but certainly doing stuff like that in public is risky if you plan to say, run for office, or get an outward facing job as a director at a notoriously "family friendly" outfit.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is true, but they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if he hadn't have made the jokes in the first place.

edit: And like I said Disney is stupid as poo poo for making a decision when they first saw them and talked to him and going back on it. That's just cowardly and bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Oh well yeah, the whole campaign and how it was brought up was disingenuous as all out and faked outrage. We're mostly in agreement.

otoh I wouldn't blame Disney for not hiring any of the people you mentioned for things they said in the past. It's extremely dumb to see those jokes, address them, hire the man AND THEN LATER get offended to the point of firing over it. But I wouldn't be half as shocked if they just didn't hire him in the first place over them.

Doing things like that online risks future opportunities. Maybe not the opportunity to be a comedian, or make your own tv show, or write for the onion, or whatever.....but certainly doing stuff like that in public is risky if you plan to say, run for office, or get an outward facing job as a director at a notoriously "family friendly" outfit.

Hm. I'm not sure. I think you'd genuinely have a hard time with that. I mean they've cast more significantly offensive people in roles. George Carlin was in Cars after all and I don't think anyone said anything about that despite the guy making jokes about Porky Pig getting raped. I also think it's a bad idea for any studio to treat being in something offensive or shocking as a reason not to hire them. I think it's within their rights but it's a thin line between being in an offensive comedy and making an offensive tweet at least to me.

I absolutely agree with you that Disney's response is the absolute stupidest method though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Especially when that studio is Disney, which is now much less "the place that makes the fun animated movies" and much more "a media conglomerate of Lovecraftian proportions."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Especially when that studio is Disney, which is now much less "the place that makes the fun animated movies" and much more "a media conglomerate of Lovecraftian proportions."

Yeah, there's a lot of wrinkles to it.

I'm just hoping no one mistakes the bad-faith campaign that got him bopped, or the idiotic way Disney handles who's ok and who's not ok for the idea that you can't be held responsible for your posts. You can and, increasingly so in the future we're careening into, you will. Just don't be posting poo poo you can't explain later.

You've all made an extremely good decision to do all of your very bad and embarrassing posting on a dying vBulleting board cobbled together out of chickenwire and Lowtax's prayers, but just be careful out there.

melbatoastXXX
Jul 30, 2000
That Mike Cernovich rapist guy is already having a tiny Nazi conniption fit over this. James Gunn getting rehired erases his greatest victory and it is glorious.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

melbatoastXXX posted:

That Mike Cernovich rapist guy is already having a tiny Nazi conniption fit over this. James Gunn getting rehired erases his greatest victory and it is glorious.

lol and no ones gonna come to his rescue because the original movement wasn't real anyway

Edit: Hell I'd bet at least half of the dork asses who helped him are GOTG fans anyway who are secretly happy they get to have their culture war moment cake and eat it too.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 16, 2019

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of wrinkles to it.

I'm just hoping no one mistakes the bad-faith campaign that got him bopped, or the idiotic way Disney handles who's ok and who's not ok for the idea that you can't be held responsible for your posts. You can and, increasingly so in the future we're careening into, you will. Just don't be posting poo poo you can't explain later.

You've all made an extremely good decision to do all of your very bad and embarrassing posting on a dying vBulleting board cobbled together out of chickenwire and Lowtax's prayers, but just be careful out there.

The thing about being held responsible for ones actions is that there kind of has to be an entity that everyone agrees can judge people like that, and it sure as gently caress ain't Twitter or any other part of the hosed up online world.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Grendels Dad posted:

The thing about being held responsible for ones actions is that there kind of has to be an entity that everyone agrees can judge people like that, and it sure as gently caress ain't Twitter or any other part of the hosed up online world.

That's why I'm talking about employers or voters, who do get to definitively and unilaterally judge you if you're asking them for something.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The timing with the whole Gunn thing is so cynical.

*far-right guy commits a mass murder* "Oh uh maybe we should distance ourselves from these far-right guys we caved in to earlier."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TaikaWaititi/status/1106695554791178240

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bedshaped posted:

The timing with the whole Gunn thing is so cynical.

*far-right guy commits a mass murder* "Oh uh maybe we should distance ourselves from these far-right guys we caved in to earlier."

yeah whatever disney is a cynical media conglomerate and all but i have a sneaking suspicion that they do not actually base their hiring decisions on how good they'll look when they announce them on the same day as a mass murder happens

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Awfully convenient that not too long ago Marvel said they will start filming GOTG3 in 2021, and after that WB confirmed that Gunn will direct SS2 for a 2021 release.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Cease to Hope posted:

he never had his own movie (and his two movies are not good but that's more Snydome territory)

Not sure which of BvS, Justice League and Suicide Squad you're skipping out on here, but Batfleck is a delight in all three.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

what lesson are you hoping people would have learned

That Disney higher-ups should have deferred to Kevin Feige, since if they had they wouldn’t have wasted millions canceling a movie in pre-production for absolutely nothing.

Also any way you slice it I think Disney were mega-cowards about this. They fired Gunn within 24 hours of Mike Cernovich digging up his tweets and calling him a pedophile, and refused to rehire him even after the media called it out as a politically-motivated hit job and the cast vouched for him and asked for him to be reinstated. Then later after WB hired Gunn and received virtually no backlash for it, then Disney wanted him back because he turned out to not be easy to replace. So at that point they rehired him, thus making it obvious that they never had any actual moral qualms about Gunn’s tweets and were only ever concerned about the potential bad press from them.

Burkion posted:

Also, Gunn, you loving idiot, just walk away. Let them firing you MEAN something. Don't hop back on the moment they offer you the exact same job that they took away from you FOR NOTHING. It's an unenviable position but one that you should have loving taken man.

Instead, welcome back to the House of Mouse.

Leave 50% of all creative freedom at the door and don't worry about the action scenes

We'll handle those for you

I think anyone representing Gunn would have told him to take the job back. He’s is trying to fight off a (at least at one time) widespread rumor that he is an actual loving pedophile. He was considered a disgraced director and I remember seeing a Washington Post article right after he was fired saying that his career as a mainstream filmmaker was completely over. Disney completely reversing course and rehiring him is basically an admission that they were wrong to fire him in the first place.

And Gunn genuinely has reason to be grateful to the cast. They really stuck their necks out for him, especially Bautista, when they could have just as easily publicly said nothing and privately asked Disney to hurry up and hire a new director so they wouldn’t screw up their filming schedule.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Gunn was already hired to do another major blockbuster at WB. Ruined? Far from it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ebony Maw was better than like 90% of Marvel baddies on his own and probably should have survived.

Oh, Icarus...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ezra Miller is actually helping to write the Flash script himself, with a 'darker' direction, with extra help from noted Man of Steel fan Grant Morrison.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/flash-shocker-ezra-miller-writing-script-bid-star-1194937

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 16, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Burkion posted:

Also, Gunn, you loving idiot, just walk away. Let them firing you MEAN something. Don't hop back on the moment they offer you the exact same job that they took away from you FOR NOTHING. It's an unenviable position but one that you should have loving taken man.

Let it MEAN somethin man....*takes massive bong rip*

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MacheteZombie posted:

Gunn was already hired to do another major blockbuster at WB. Ruined? Far from it.

Now that he's back with Marvel again they all have to have him direct both Shazam 2 and Captain Marvel 2.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Ezra Miller is actually helping to write the Flash script himself, with a 'darker' direction, with extra help from noted Man of Steel fan Grant Morrison.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/flash-shocker-ezra-miller-writing-script-bid-star-1194937

I hope Grant Morrison includes his occult stuff in the script

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Parker and Stone do suck a lot though

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The only ebony ma for me is Angela Basset

Folks,

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

I hope Grant Morrison includes his occult stuff in the script

I hope Grant Morrison adapts that rad 90s story where The Flash raced Sonic the Hedgehog across time and space.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope the movie happens and becomes a success, thus opening WB to adapting Morrison's We3 script.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Fart City posted:

It was there. I saw it.

You were braver

I don't get many opportunities like that. Had to go for it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

I hope Grant Morrison adapts that rad 90s story where The Flash raced Sonic the Hedgehog across time and space.

Morrison gave us that story, the Black Flash (a grim reaper for speedsters who dresses like a color swapped Flash) and an evil possessed super suit that wraps itself around your body to possess you

So basically any of those would be pretty great for a movie, is what I'm saying

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy A. Person posted:

Morrison gave us that story, the Black Flash (a grim reaper for speedsters who dresses like a color swapped Flash) and an evil possessed super suit that wraps itself around your body to possess you

So basically any of those would be pretty great for a movie, is what I'm saying

Isn't that basically Venom?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't that basically Venom?

OH yeah pretty true, as I described it

For more info: the suit was made by the tailor who made all the Flash's rogues outfits, and when he died his spirit possessed this suit. Afterwards it flies around and puts itself on other people to control them and gain their powers

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The Producer for Gunn's Skwad has confirmed is a complete reboot.

quote:

First of all, we don’t call it Suicide Squad 2 'cause it’s a total reboot, so it's The Suicide Squad and I think people should be extremely excited about it. It’s everything you would hope from a James Gunn script and I think that says a lot and that promises a lot and I know that we will deliver a lot.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2468500/dont-call-it-suicide-squad-2-james-gunn-film-is-a-total-reboot-producer-says

And there's some gossip that WW '84 isn't a sequel but I can't find anything concrete.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm not sure if I can trust that these people know what reboot means. It gets thrown around a lot these days. Jason Reitman's Ghostbusters and Shane Black's The Predator were both called reboots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The MSJ posted:

I'm not sure if I can trust that these people know what reboot means. It gets thrown around a lot these days. Jason Reitman's Ghostbusters and Shane Black's The Predator were both called reboots.

:shrug:

I'm just passing the info around.

Also, more news about Sony's plans with Spiderman.

quote:

The Sony team is in the midst of figuring out how best to exploit its intellectual property across the film and television groups. And not just for its crown jewel, “Spider-Man,” but also in areas where it has a potential competitive advantage, such as its access to IP from PlayStation and Sony Music.

That said, the studio is aware of its association with one of the most popular Marvel characters of all time. So look for more amazing adventures of the web-slinger to populate not just theaters but TV screens.

“We have the next seven or eight years laid out as to what we’re going to do with that asset, and that will not only be on the film side — it’ll be on the TV side,” says Vinciquerra. “Our television group will have its own set of characters from within that universe that we will seek to develop.”

Sony is essentially internally auditioning its more than 900 Spider-Man-adjacent characters, to which it has attached the moniker Sony’s Universe of Marvel Characters.

According to Hopkins, the team is “pretty far down the road in terms of working through which characters we think could be their own star of a series.”

Disney has long been drawing from the Marvel well. With its absorption of 21st Century Fox, the Burbank-based giant will soon have “Fantastic Four” and “X-Men,” leaving Sony as the only studio rival with licensing rights to Marvel characters.

“We’re developing a lot of Marvel-related content, and I think we’ll be out in the market very soon with something really, really big and transformational for us, because we’ve not done any shows with Marvel before, with Marvel IP,” says Hopkins. “So that’s a big piece of development that we’re onto.”

There’s plenty of precedent for serializing small-screen comic-book dramas, even without any superhero headliners. Think “Gotham” without Batman, “The Gifted” sans Wolverine, or all the Avenger-less Marvel series that Disney has developed, such as “Agents of SHIELD” and “Jessica Jones.” Plus, the box office success of “Venom” and the recent Oscar-winning glow of “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” have bolstered confidence that there’s an appetite for Sony’s slice of Marvel-town.

Hopkins anticipates a large volume of content. “I think we aspire to have several shows in a universe that we create that can pollinate between each other, and to working with a partner to make that happen.”

https://variety.com/2019/tv/features/mike-hopkins-sony-pictures-television-strategy-1203160502/