Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
finished ff12 finally. not sure what venat's motivation was, the character barely existed. vayne was lame,and the final boss sucked. music was generic throughout, probably one of the worst ff soundtracks. also i probably wasnt paying enough attention but how did destroying the sun cryst prevent the occuria from meddling in mortal affairs

just have ff15 in two weeks left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Relin posted:

finished ff12 finally. not sure what venat's motivation was, the character barely existed. vayne was lame,and the final boss sucked. music was generic throughout, probably one of the worst ff soundtracks. also i probably wasnt paying enough attention but how did destroying the sun cryst prevent the occuria from meddling in mortal affairs

Venat was, as the Occuria so eloquently put it, a heretic; it didn't believe that what they were doing was right, and believed that mankind had reached a point where it should be trusted to take the reins of its own destiny. Vayne was intended to be Venat's "Dynast-King," a new leader who represented this change from the old world controlled by the Occuria to a new one ruled by mankind. They were partners trying to make a better world, basically.

The final boss is really lame, though, I agree.

The Sun-Cryst was a finite thing, and it was the source of the Occuria's influence on Ivalice. They provided specially-chosen humans (that is, humans who they could easily influence to do what they wanted) with the means to carve off pieces of it to use as weapons, guaranteeing that only those they wanted to see in power would have access to the most powerful weapons in existence.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
but that was only very sparingly used, it seemed to me that most of their influence came from directly speaking to mortals and showing them hallucinations? which would probably still be pretty effective for manipulating people

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

CeallaSo posted:

Venat was, as the Occuria so eloquently put it, a heretic; it didn't believe that what they were doing was right, and believed that mankind had reached a point where it should be trusted to take the reins of its own destiny. Vayne was intended to be Venat's "Dynast-King," a new leader who represented this change from the old world controlled by the Occuria to a new one ruled by mankind. They were partners trying to make a better world, basically.

Alternate take: Venat WAS a villain. Incoming :spergin: :words:

The game sort of plays with your opinions on Venat, by constantly telling you he's helping put the "reins of history back in the hands of man" and by having Ashe reject Occurian influence. But when you look back on everything, I don't think he was looking out for humanity's interests at all.

Point 1: The Occuria were beneficial to mankind.
We don't get to hear much about the Occuria's influence- they don't seem to "take the reins" very often. The last person we hear about that was guided by the Occuria was the Dynast King, who all seem to agree was a great ruler who led humanity into an unparalleled age of unity and prosperity. He brought all the warring nations together without using the Nethicite. He didn't nuke anybody; it was just "threat of nuke" that got people to sit down and negotiate.

We know that with the Occuria's influence removed, magic begines to fade from the world, nations go back to warring, many species die off, and Ivalice is plunged back into a dark age (remember, medieval FFT comes long after technologically advanced FFXII). Perhaps the Occuria were right that humanity wasn't quite ready to be in charge, and certainly shouldn't be given free access to nukes to kill each other and gently caress up the planet.

Point 2: Venat's nethicite was bad mojo
So Venat taught the Archadian empire how to make fake nethicite. It still has the offensive nuking potential of deifacted nethicite, sure, but what's different? It makes people into homicidal berserkers and lets Venat possess them. We see this with Judge Bergan and with the Viera from the mines. They both are pretty out of their wits and filled with murderous intent. And when you defeat them- oh gee, you see Venat pop up/out of them and bugger off. You find out how the Archadians put the nethicite by the Viera because Viera are more susceptible to mist and the stone's influence; seems like Venat wanted to use her as a test subject. Even at the final boss, Vayne seems to have accepted defeat, and then Venat seems to possess him. Vayne certainly looked confused and concerned about suddenly having the ship start grafting itself to his body, and then he appears to lose all personality/consciousness. It seems like when Venat's plans were coming apart, he decided to just jack Vayne's body to use like a suit of armor. The final boss is literally called "The Undying", which is what the Occuria call themselves.

"Undying, we Occuria light the path for wayward sons of man. Oft did we pass judgment on them so that Ivalice might endure. Eternal, we are hist'ry's stewards, to set the course and keep it true."
—Gerun, leader of the Occuria

You never hear any mention of deifacted nethicite being used to possess or control people. The Occuria simply choose someone with like-minded goals to themselves and then empower that person with nethicite. The Occuria do not literally take control of that person. Ironically, the Occuria employ less direct control of humanity than the one who is ostensibly giving control back to humanity.

Point 3: Venat picked a bad group to give the power of Nethicite
Rather than giving all of humanity access to deifacted nethicite, or finding some benevolent champion for his cause, Venat instead chooses the Archadian Empire, and more specifically Vayne and Cid, to work with and give exclusive access to the nethicite. Both Vayne and Cid are amoral at best, or immoral at worst, in their quests for power or knowledge, respectively. They think nothing of throwing away any lives that it takes, including their own family, or entire cities as "test subjects" for the nethicite's power. Vayne had aspirations of being the next "Dynast King" by ruthelessly taking over everything he surveyed. Namely, Venat found two people with power and a lot of ambition that he could manipulate into taking over the world with the power of nethicite. And as I pointed out above, the nethicite allows Venat to take control of people. It appears he needed a militant empire to do the actual world conquering, and then he could simply control whoever was at the top of the totem pole.

Choosing the Archadian Empire as the sole power to possess nethicite did not seem to actually be done to help humanity out. It seemed to be a ploy to specifically consolidate power to himself, and exclude control from the rest of the Occuria by undermining their trump card.

It seems to me, on considering the facts and circumstances, that Venat didn't like passively guiding humanity from a distance with the rest of the Occuria, and instead decided to take direct control all by himself. The Occuria might have been on to something calling him a heretic and all that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's the basic "those guys should not be the ones controlling the destines of Man. I should be doing that!"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If I controlled the destinies of man, I would replace FF13 with Final Fantasy Barry.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
You were almost a Lightning sandwich!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I beat Final Fantasy XIII. This came a lot faster then the other because I was already playing it off and on for a while in 2018 since the game was BC on the Xbox One. Didn't know when I stopped that I was literally only about three hours away from the ending. Had a lovely first attempt on the final boss with Lightning, Fang, and Sahz, killing Bart and getting to Orphan first form and just doing badly on it. I put the game to rest and went to bed, but had a power outage in the morning and so I had to redo the fight.

Thankfully I change things up and put Vanille in instead of Lightning and used the strategies I saw of having her cast Death on him, as it does 99999 damage on him during staggered. Between that and the poison, Orphan just died in about two minutes. Third form wasn't too bad outside of my first attempt to swap back to Fang as leader and her dying instantly to his special attack while Vanille barely takes damage from it :shrug:. It just rapidly died when I use Ravager and two comandos. Glad it done and I honesty liked 13 in the end. Probably won't go to 13-2 for a while through.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Childhood is thinking Venat was the good guys. Adulthood is knowing Balthier is daddy.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I don't remember, what happens to the occuria after you beat the game? Why don't you get to kick the crap out of them as the true final dungeon?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

zenguitarman posted:

I don't remember, what happens to the occuria after you beat the game? Why don't you get to kick the crap out of them as the true final dungeon?

They're not mentioned again. In Revanant Wings it turns out they'd sealed away some folks who refused to follow them, and that barrier falls when the Sun-Cryst is destroyed, so I assume the Sun-Cryst was a conduit for their power in the world and without it they not only lost their leverage but their power. Nothing to my knowledge confirming that though.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Relin posted:

FF12's boss theme seems really good? I haven't played 12 yet so I can't speak for the rest

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

The final boss music is one of the best in the series

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The Occuria all banded together and fused to form a big ole metaphysical crystal transcending time and the world calling itself Hydaelyn.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zenguitarman posted:

The final boss music is one of the best in the series

It incorporates a ton of leitmotifs, including the Empire's, it's a really fantastic track.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

patch sky pirate dens into every FF imo

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If you can do Yiazmat, you can do Trial Mode. If you can't, you probably can't - floor 81 is a bitch (buy Warp Motes before you go in), floors 95-99 are rough (sure, the HP is scaled down, but it's literally just refights of everything), and even cheesing floor 100 with Zeromus doesn't make it easy.

It turned out ok - I wasn't sure how Yiazmat was going to go but it turns out it's vulnerable to those Addle/Wither etc skills so you can keep reducing its stats until it's barely doing any damage. Omega Mark XII/the Judges were way too much for my party though (or maybe my gambits idk) I had to abuse Reverse to get through Omega and then I did the Zeromus thing to take out some of the Judges/used Wither to reduce Gabranth's attack then finished him off

I wasn't that excited about revisting FFXII but man I really enjoyed it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
So it turns out Dissidia NT is actually a pretty fun game, and nobody told me. The only real problem is that match wait times are a bit long and you can't do anything during them, but that's no worse than MOBAs I've played, and the in-game lag is probably roughly on par with Smash Bros.

There's a few at-launch stability issues for the Steam version that I hope get resolved (mine wouldn't start until I reinstalled some C++ redistributables) but otherwise this game's way better than its reputation suggests.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TheHoosier posted:

FF12's boss theme seems really good? I haven't played 12 yet so I can't speak for the rest

The music is the only good thing about it

And Viera I guess.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Going to start up Final Fantasy XV on the PC. Want to play that version due to the mods...what the best ones to use? There so much stuff on the Steam workshop.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Schwartzcough posted:

Alternate take: Venat WAS a villain. Incoming :spergin: :words:

This is an interesting take, and one I completely agree with. What I said was the conclusion I came to when I first played the game, back when I was... sixteen? Jesus.

"You ruined everything and created a world somehow worse than the one we already had" is a pretty Matsuno way for a story to conclude, too. Even if he wasn't the one to ultimately ship the product, it remains true that games he works on rarely end happily.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It certainly didn’t end happily for Matsuno!

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

And also the XII soundtrack is one of the best in the series.

I just ripped off my shirt fight me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

patch sky pirate dens into every FF imo

Yes but make it the title and menu screen as well.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tall Tale Teller posted:

It does fit the game perfectly.

Because it's trash.

Just like ff12.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tall Tale Teller posted:

it's not even the best in the series of final fantasies wedged between MMOs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's probably the most traditionally orchestral soundtrack in the series but it owns bones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CTnqYZIGiA

Sounds a bit too much like Star Wars sometimes though lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I can't believe a Final Fantasy game would try to mimic Star Wars.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The music is the only good thing about it

And Viera I guess.

This is probably why I've kept that FFXII PS4 theme they made when the remaster sold a bunch of copies, which is just the Viera village theme with a picture of them in the background.

Such a soothing theme.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tall Tale Teller posted:

There isn't a bad FF soundtrack. FFXII is no exception and its music very good. Battle For Freedom is one of the best final boss themes in the series.

The "worst" FF soundtrack is X-2's which has a few great pieces, a lot of nothing, and the worst song of all time in its version of the Chocobo Theme.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

I can't believe a Final Fantasy game would try to mimic Star Wars.

SW Episode 9 will be set in Ivalice, actually.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I well remember when Leia was taken by a bunch of Darth Vaders to the big Darth Vader crystal so she could make a sword

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

There isn't a bad FF soundtrack. FFXII is no exception and its music very good. Battle For Freedom is one of the best final boss themes in the series.

The "worst" FF soundtrack is X-2's which has a few great pieces, a lot of nothing, and the worst song of all time in its version of the Chocobo Theme.

:wrong:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Was FF6 the first and only FF so far to have an actual lightsaber as a weapon?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

all the music sounds the same in 12

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah and it owns

For real though, you're not wrong. I remember a lot of tracks but 12 was my first FF and I really like it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Gologle posted:

With all the remakes of every game, I highly doubt it.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

the bolded part is incorrect but for how great its aesthetic and opening number are most of the soundtrack of X-2 (The Best Final Fantasy Game) is boring and flat tbh

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gologle posted:

Apparently there were lightsabers in dirge of cerberus

Enjoy the costume design on the left, so deep and well-crafted. She's definitely a respected scientist.

EDIT oh jesus apparently the one with the lightsabers is "19-years-old though permanently stuck in the body of a young girl" burn the extended FF7 universe to the ground

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 16, 2019

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
thanks i had forgotten about Dirge of Cerberus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MikeJF posted:

Apparently there were lightsabers in dirge of cerberus

Enjoy the costume design on the left, so deep and well-crafted. She's definitely a respected scientist.

EDIT oh jesus apparently the one with the lightsabers is "19-years-old though permanently stuck in the body of a young girl" burn the extended FF7 universe to the ground

When I was looking up World of Final Fantasy I saw she (the second girl) somehow was in that game.