Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

toilet paper mount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Advanced fleshlight adapter.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
NO WARM! Only cold or hot!

https://gfycat.com/AdolescentEachBream

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
A bit of cross pollination

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Needs frosted tips and headphones on one ear

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

It's a British flick mixer.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Gromit posted:

A friend used to work at a place that was shutting down and he said they were just throwing out lots of bits and pieces and I told him to just bring me anything sciency he could fit in his car. He gave me one of these arms but without the bell on the end, but I've really no idea what to do with it. Maybe if I buy a new place that has a workshop I can fit an extractor for soldering or something?

mail that poo poo to me, I'll build a steam extractor for my brewing area

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
My jurisdiction has just instituted remote inspections over facetime or skype

quote:

The purpose of the Remote Inspection Program is to provide an alternative to on-site inspection for situations requiring more prompt service or when a specific inspection time is desired. It may also be used for follow up inspections after an inspector visited the job site in person first. The program requires a client to use the Skype or FaceTime app on a 4G smart phone in order to interact with the City inspector. The inspection process is as follows: Clients schedule a remote inspection through our calendaring service; the inspector initiates a Skype or FaceTime call to the client; the inspector directs the client to send video images of the work that needs to be inspected; the inspection results are entered in our system for client to view on our web site.

A list of the things that a skype walkthrough is good enough for:

quote:

Eligible Permits:

Rooftop Solar (photovoltaic)
Electrical Service Upgrades
Electrical Reconnects
Water Heaters
Gas Line Installations
Parking Shade Structures
Detached Storage Sheds
Residential Construction
Follow-up Inspections (must verify with inspector)

Some of those like shade structures, water heaters, and sheds seem like some remote imagery is going to serve the purpose fine.

but Residential Construction seems like a pretty big catchall.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

Gas Line Installations

:cripes:

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Found on imgur titled 'customer ask[ed] if this was "normal" '

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

HelleSpud posted:

That looks like something at the heart of a STALKER anomaly.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

HelleSpud posted:

Gut the whole place and start again.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

Gut the whole place and start again.

I was thinking more along the lines of filling it with reinforced concrete and posting culturally neutral warning signs.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

HelleSpud posted:

quote:

This place is not a place of honor...no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.
What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
The danger is in a particular location... it increases toward a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.
The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
The danger is to the body, and it can kill.
The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.
The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lord Awkward posted:

quote:

This place is not a place of honor...no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.
What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
The danger is in a particular location... it increases toward a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.
The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
The danger is to the body, and it can kill.
The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.
The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Cripes. When it comes to humanity the sign might as well say "HEY FUTURE PEOPLE! DIG HERE, THERE'S REALLY NEAT STUFF!"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cripes. When it comes to humanity the sign might as well say "HEY FUTURE PEOPLE! DIG HERE, THERE'S REALLY NEAT STUFF!"
[/quote]

I've long suspected those messages are less to prevent disturbance than to help the survivors connect the dots, instead of "gee, why is everyone getting sick???"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I mean, the closest thing we have to a warning of danger to all future generations is the curses inscribed on Egyptian tombs, and in most cases those had all been raided within a hundred years or so.

Tutankhamun's unspoiled tomb was basically unique.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I mean, the closest thing we have to a warning of danger to all future generations is the curses inscribed on Egyptian tombs, and in most cases those had all been raided within a hundred years or so.

Yeah and all those tomb raiders? Dead.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Tutankhamun's unspoiled tomb was basically unique.
Yeah but they were all "I'm great and cool don't take my treasure or I'll gently caress you up" aka "GREAT AND COOL TREASURE something something"

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just put up a paved walking trail with nice signage and a boring statue up, no one will ever go there except old bored old people who are nearly dead anyway.

Or me, who lives for that poo poo and probably deserve to be irradiated anyway.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect Bucket posted:

Just put up a paved walking trail with nice signage and a boring statue up, no one will ever go there except old bored old people who are nearly dead anyway.

Or me, who lives for that poo poo and probably deserve to be irradiated anyway.

The warnings are meant for people 10,000 years from now. I doubt the walking trail would be maintained.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I don't think I saw this posted here. NTSB update to the investigation into the Florida pedestrian bridge collapse:

https://ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HWY18MH009-investigative-update2.aspx

It's looking like it wasn't crappy construction, but rather crappy design.

quote:

Although the evaluation is ongoing, the assessment has determined that errors were made in design of the northernmost nodal region of the 174-foot-long span, where two truss members were connected to the bridge deck. These design errors resulted in (1) overestimation of the capacity (resistance) of a critical section through the node comprised of diagonal member 11 and vertical member 12; and (2) apparent underestimation of the demand (load) on that same critical section. Additionally, the FHWA evaluation determined that the cracking observed in the node prior to the collapse is consistent with the identified errors.

In summary, the concrete and steel specimens tested by TFHRC personnel met the minimum requirements specified in the project’s build plans.

Talk about failing your statics and dynamics final.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Underestimated the load and overestimated the capacity! There's an engineer who won't sleep well for a long time.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

The Bloop posted:

The warnings are meant for people 10,000 years from now. I doubt the walking trail would be maintained.

If you put a no walking sign there it'll maintain itself

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've long suspected those messages are less to prevent disturbance than to help the survivors connect the dots, instead of "gee, why is everyone getting sick???"

It’s a Sisyphean task designed to stymie nuclear power.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's more to shame the culture that had to create such a thing than for the benefit of anyone. Like "look at what horrible things we've done to warrant such an elaborate and threatening warning, with spikey structures that lack honour and everything"

Anyone actually involved in longterm radioactive waste disposal is in favour of burying it deep in a geologically-stable place where it will probably not be found by hunter-gatherers who talk like Klingons

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Whole thing would be mostly moot if the NIMBY crowd would unfuck themselves and let the US reprocess waste fuel to extract the energy from the transuranic elements left after a first pass in light water reactors we use now, eventually reducing all the waste to fissile products with a dangerous half-life below 100 years, and much easier to store due to being reduced in mass by a factor of almost 100.

Light water reactors are gloriously inefficient when it comes to actually getting full potential energy out of uranium, but we decided as a matter of policy decades ago that didn't matter as there was plenty to go around.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

StormDrain posted:

Underestimated the load and overestimated the capacity! There's a former engineer who won't sleep well for a long time.

Fixed.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

HelleSpud posted:

I thought those were tree roots until people started replying to this. :gonk:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

… ?!?!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

It would be a lot less horrifying if they were tree roots.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Buff Skeleton posted:

It would be a lot less horrifying if they were tree roots.

Just waiting for the glorious day when that (probably water) pipe rusts through and bursts.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Just waiting for the glorious day when that (probably water) pipe rusts through and bursts.

Since when does pvc rust?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

frodnonnag posted:

Since when does pvc rust?

Oh god that gunge on top of the pipe looks just like thick rust, but you're right, it's actually PVC.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Flashbacks to running up the stairs screaming, "GET ME TOWELS, THE SERVER ROOM IS FLOODING," and having a dozen engineers turn, look at me, turn away, and continue doing what they were doing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Our lab flooded twice yearly. We just got in the habit of keeping everything water sensitive off the floor.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
We had some terrible old plumbing at one of my previous jobs, which we took care of by moving out and making it somebody else's problem. :sparkles:

To be fair though it's not like we didn't try fixing it. The landlord just didn't want to work with us on anything because they knew once our lease was up they could kick us out and easily get triple what we were paying for the place if they found a new tenant. They were even doing some minor construction on the place while we were still occupying the building, and one of their idiots busted a pipe right outside the basement door and flooded the place. We had to close temporarily, replace carpets and other equipment, take some people off the schedule since you can't work in a flooded basement.. Of course we were never compensated for any of this by the landlord or whatever sketchy construction guys he had on the job.

A couple months after we vacated the building, the basement flooded again. This time they only discovered it because it started to seep through the walls into neighboring businesses.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

How come the 4" blank-up ceiling box covers are like $2.50 and the 8" ones are $37.00? My hole is too big

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

My hole is too big

Not the first time you’ve said that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

How come the 4" blank-up ceiling box covers are like $2.50 and the 8" ones are $37.00? My hole is too big

That's what happens if you DRR DRR DRR DRRill it the wrong size