Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jobson groeth posted:

Daily Mail has his whole manifesto for download.

whatever happened to the british gag orders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Krankenstyle posted:

whatever happened to the british gag orders

lol, that only works with British celebrities who get expensive court orders. The paper that backed Hitler back in the 30's is extremely going to publish everything they can.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jobson groeth posted:

lol, that only works with British celebrities who get expensive court orders. The paper that backed Hitler back in the 30's is extremely going to publish everything they can.

that is great for free speech
:goonsay:

(but instead of a goon its some decorum rear end in a top hat)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Terrorism as postmodern art is yet another thing from neuromancer that looked way cooler than it is. Cant wait to get murdered by the Turing police because they thought my wallet was a malevolent AI

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Should I actually read Neuromancer or should I just leave it alone?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

taqueso posted:

it’s rad as hell

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

taqueso posted:

read it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

There's a couple bits where it got a little to exploitation flick-y imo but overall it's really good. The sequel is also good, havent read the final one yet

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
also read the sequels theyre rad too (maybe not as rad but still rad)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Even if you don't read grab an audio book. the audiobooks are really good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

StashAugustine posted:

There's a couple bits where it got a little to exploitation flick-y imo but overall it's really good. The sequel is also good, havent read the final one yet

even then, he stopped at the suggestion of it. its a thing that happens in 2-3 sentences and it makes sense because whoever is a piece of poo poo, theyre a murderer too, whatever. theres no wank material. unlike most other scifi/fantasy authors who love to dedicate multiple pages to rape scenes.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
After you've read Neuromancer and two sequels, read Burning Chrome to flesh out the backstory/world a bit. Neuromancer is definitely the strongest book out of the series, the other two kind of blur together for me.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Gibson turned me on to toots and the maytals, in addition to writing awesome "fiction" that basically has come true in less cool ways.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The "series" of books that starts with Pattern Recognition is extremely good.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Bridge trilogy (Virtual Light, Idoru, All Tomorrow's Parties) is unusual in that the second and third books make a better presentation than the first. Also good.

Maybe what's compelling about Gibson's later writing is that it's less cyberpunk in the sense of gratuitous edginess and more "future society still sucks, no matter how many supertech distractions we get"

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I wish he'd managed to retain the brevity he'd mastered in the Sprawl trilogy into his later books. I honestly think Burning Chrome was some of his best writing. I can't handle verbose Gibson and after Idoru I kind of stopped reading. The stories are rad, sure, but I can't help but feel they've lost something.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm reading pattern recognition rn and while the plot hasn't quite grabbed me yet it rules how its basically just about posting

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Turtlicious posted:

Even if you don't read grab an audio book. the audiobooks are really good.

I do not recommend the one actually read by Gibson himself, though. Amazing writer, but a voice actor he ain’t.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I like all of his books, but The Peripheral starts off so slowly that it took three or four aborted attempts to read it before I made it over the hump.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Lazyhound posted:

I like all of his books, but The Peripheral starts off so slowly that it took three or four aborted attempts to read it before I made it over the hump.

Yeah, the idea was interesting but the execution was pretty dull. I got 2/3 of the way through before putting it down

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

beto "psychedelic warlord" o'rourke vs bernie "iron fist" sanders

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

StashAugustine posted:

I'm reading pattern recognition rn and while the plot hasn't quite grabbed me yet it rules how its basically just about posting

it's super loving good.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Yeah, the idea was interesting but the execution was pretty dull. I got 2/3 of the way through before putting it down

iirc the sequel has been substantially re-written because the actual post-2016 situation is more dismal than the original drafts.

Lazyhound has issued a correction as of 04:33 on Mar 16, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lazyhound posted:

iirc the sequel has been substantially re-written because the actual post-2016 situation is more dismal than the original drafts.

Gibson has been steadily moving his fiction closer to reality as reality catches up with it and its approptiate to see its been surpassed

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Haha

That's very perceptive. It essentially is about why we post what we do, and especially our alienation from those reasons.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

StashAugustine posted:

Gibson has been steadily moving his fiction closer to reality as reality catches up with it and its approptiate to see its been surpassed

yeah he said reality is weird enough now there's no need to make poo poo up

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Is the Netflix series Love Death + Robots any good?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I heard it's good, haven't watched it yet.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

etalian posted:

Is the Netflix series Love Death + Robots any good?

over halfway through it today. So far it's great. Cyberpunk meets Heavy Metal.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Loky11 posted:

A couple of them are hit or miss for me but overall it's definitely worth bingeing through.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

William Gibson is a centrist these days, so watch your step

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Victory Position posted:

William Gibson is a centrist COLLABORATOR these days, so watch your step

The forums really need a new word filter.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

The forums really need a new word filter.

can you chill out a bit screaming idiot

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Loky11 posted:

It's pretty good but people are right about the episodes being a mixed bag.

Also a good example of how far 3D dick and muff animation has advanced over the years.

Best episodes if I had to pick 5:
-Sonnie
-Beyond the Aquila Rift
-Good Hunting
-Zima Blue
-The Secret War

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Victory Position posted:

He is at best resigned with mild melancholy to history being driven by alternately warring and unifying ethnocapitalist oligarchies ruling the mayfly masses, you can see that in essentially everything he's ever written, but it's progressed lately. He wants to collect typewriters and durable, practical clothing, and watch the world calmly progress towards Total Network Control. He's Nick Land without the schizotypal or lovecraftian poo poo.

Everyone should read The Difference Engine, aka the first and only good steampunk thing.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Farm Frenzy posted:

can you chill out a bit screaming idiot

Centrists are just Nazis without the gumption to admit it and will do their utmost to put a wrench in the gears of change in order to maintain the status quo. The criticism is warranted.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Victory Position posted:

Based on what? I’ve never really gotten that impression from his Twitter presence.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

My fav episode in terms of being visually stunning was Fish Night.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

dirty lousy tramp posted:

beto "psychedelic warlord" o'rourke vs bernie "iron fist" “joe steel” sanders

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
i like books and i read