Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Here's a picture of it:

It's a loving absurd amount of paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

Next OSHA event, some office worker crushed to death while manipulating The Demon Stack with a screwdriver

They’ll name it Smaug, and act like they’re being cute while tickling its tail.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CannonFodder posted:

The 'Paperless Office' of the late 90s never came to be.

Yes I recall reading someplace that since computers became standard in offices, paper consumption has actually increased.

When I worked for a mortgage company, there was an entire floor where they did nothing all day long but print, collate, and staple huge documents before boxing them up.

I work for a government contractor now, and most of the people older than me are constantly printing out reams of paper and putting them in filing cabinets.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My coworkers who print emails so they can scan them. :downs:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MightyJoe36 posted:

When I worked for a mortgage company, there was an entire floor where they did nothing all day long but print, collate, and staple huge documents before boxing them up.

I was shocked when I did my most recent house-closing. I signed about 8 sheets, and then got a USB drive with a key to download the copies of the documents securely online. I did, then put them in the drive, and put the drive in my lockbox. I took one single sheet of paper home with me.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

haveblue posted:

Love to destroy my workplace by accidentally assembling a critical mass of paper

It’s weird to think about until you realize you’re basically reassembling the tree the paper came from, but denser and indoors

e:

MightyJoe36 posted:

Yes I recall reading someplace that since computers became standard in offices, paper consumption has actually increased.

I work for a government contractor now, and most of the people older than me are constantly printing out reams of paper and putting them in filing cabinets.

as a 9-5 computer toucher, I’ve seen too much dumb poo poo to trust digital media alone for the important stuff I’ve got in a fireproof lockbox in my closet.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 15, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MightyJoe36 posted:

Early on this must've been absolutely true since most computers were just replacing secretaries and typewriters so you could more easily generate tons of text.

But nowadays I think we're mostly there. It's not completely paperless but with so many workflows being either automated or just entirely handled in software, paper is used very, very infrequently. Like when I request time off, I fill out a small form, my manager receives and approves it with a click, payroll is notified and my lunch money is subtracted for those days, and everything is documented for compliance and other reasons. Same with travel expenses - I only need to submit the receipts with a single cover sheet, and only because it's required by law here. I sit within earshot of a printer shared by at least 60-70 people and sometimes days go by between anyone using it.

There are of course some instances where a paper copy is still needed, like with contracts for example, and some offices could be stuck in the past of course.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

as a 9-5 computer toucher, I’ve seen too much dumb poo poo to trust digital media alone for the important stuff I’ve got in a fireproof lockbox in my closet.

:same: I know what computers can do and its great but I also know what computers can do and its terrible.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Nocheez posted:

I was shocked when I did my most recent house-closing. I signed about 8 sheets, and then got a USB drive with a key to download the copies of the documents securely online. I did, then put them in the drive, and put the drive in my lockbox. I took one single sheet of paper home with me.

:stare: Nocheez please do not rely on unpowered QLC NAND flash for archival storage of important documents. You are going to gently caress yourself over serious-style.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sam Hall posted:

:stare: Nocheez please do not rely on unpowered QLC NAND flash for archival storage of important documents. You are going to gently caress yourself over serious-style.

thank you for posting this because its super right.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You're going to be one of those stories about a guy who lose a fortune in bitcoin through some idiotically banal basic screwup, except instead of bitcoin it's your house

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Remember to protect your flash drive by burying it under a bird bath

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BMan posted:

Remember to protect your flash drive by burying it under a bird bath

Treat it like the gold watch in Pulp Fiction and stick it up your rear end

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/LisaCT68/status/1106542504617431042?s=09

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I like how, recognising that this situation is entirely of his own making, no one goes to help him when the fence comes down.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If I was him, I'd just move to another country at that point.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

this is chaplinesque

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
e: whoops

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

chitoryu12 posted:

If I was him, I'd just move to another country at that point.
I'd sue.

Fencing improperly secured, now I have whiplash and PTSD. Morgan & Morgan pls halp!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmao @ the people farther back who start crossing the street when the fence falls down

...nope on further inspection thats a crosswalk

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Sam Hall posted:

It's also stored online in my Google drive (and the law offices have a copy), but thank you for pointing that out.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nocheez posted:

It's also stored online in my Google drive (and the law offices have a copy), but thank you for pointing that out.

have hard printed copies

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Been there but not so deep in that I thought I could pick them back up.

It was metal baracades, during mardi gras, in mobile. Nobody cared.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is that specifically an anti-pedestrian crossing fence?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would assume so. Since the fence keeps going past where any car would be able to turn, and there's a gap in it for an actual crosswalk.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Tashilicious posted:

have hard printed copies

Why? I sold the house, and already have the money from the sale.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Imagined posted:

My coworkers who print emails so they can scan them. :downs:

I have to do this all the time. It's ridiculous. There are a lot of small companies that email you an un-editable form (like an image of a photocopy of a child's idea of a form impeded in a pdf so that you can't even convert it to word) that must be filled out by hand and then scanned and emailed back. They could set up an online form but they refuse. Print email, fill out by hand, scan, email.

Then I get mailed a packet of paperwork as a result that I don't even need. Then I save all those copies just in case I need one of the 20 pieces of paper later. Of course I've got to use tons of manila folders and tabs to organize them. I've got more paper than any normal person should have.

I don't want any of it, but if I throw one thing away, some jackass comes looking for it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is that specifically an anti-pedestrian crossing fence?

It looks more like an anti-car fence, in a "stop blocking traffic to turn left here assholes" kind of fashion. I've seen similar in places where the lines on the road say "don't do the thing" but it's more convenient if you ignore them (like "you're not supposed to cut across 4 lanes of traffic in 50 feet to get from this entrance to that left turn lane" kind of situations)

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

mostlygray posted:

I have to do this all the time. It's ridiculous. There are a lot of small companies that email you an un-editable form (like an image of a photocopy of a child's idea of a form impeded in a pdf so that you can't even convert it to word) that must be filled out by hand and then scanned and emailed back. They could set up an online form but they refuse. Print email, fill out by hand, scan, email.

I was excited to learn at my last job where all paperwork was in the form of Adobe PDFs that acrobat reader lets you type anywhere on the page. And it lets you insert images of your signature and initials. Since that day I no longer had to use my printer to fill out forms.

That company still printed everything out and because of document retention policies it will have this exact issue in about 10 years.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I think it's definitely a pedestrian barricade and it probably has to do with the upcoming holiday this weekend.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Boogalo posted:

11 foot 8 aint got poo poo on the 14th street bridge.

https://twitter.com/bosykes/status/1106155572817207296
Holy poo poo...

PathAsc posted:

Lol excellent

Content: the classics never go out of style

... It Lives !!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Cable Guy posted:

Holy poo poo...

... It Lives !!

I don't know how I missed that post, but holy poo poo. I just happened to be here on business, saw that thing, and knew I had to get a pic for here.

Definitely going to visit the bridge to thank it for its service when I'm back next time.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Have a taste...

:lol:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Re: paper chat.

I was once sent a contract for some consulting work I did. The guy who sent it to me said "I've included two copies, one for you to sign and send back and one for your records".

Seems fine, right?

He emailed them.

He emailed me two copies of the same file.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wow the Stig sucks in this reboot

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Memento posted:

Re: paper chat.

I was once sent a contract for some consulting work I did. The guy who sent it to me said "I've included two copies, one for you to sign and send back and one for your records".

Seems fine, right?

He emailed them.

He emailed me two copies of the same file.

It worked didnt it?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
floor collapses in a supermarket. 100year old building apparently.

https://i.imgur.com/8SdjJ5q.mp4

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nocheez posted:

Why? I sold the house

Prove it.

(Seriouspost.)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Supradog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ks_lbtgJSw&t=109s

Yeah, no thanks. The rope to pull with, the wood bouncing everywhere, the speed of the flywheel. Frankly the whole mechanism.

The first one looked pretty OK to me, slow going and high torque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CmdrRiker posted:

I find it amazing how operating specialized machinery becomes another appendage to people.

Because of the way the brain rewires itself, this is literally true. Do it enough and as far as your brain's concerned the JCB is just another arm.