Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Another business jet doing stupid poo poo. I'm starting to think there's a trend here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I can't read French but that clip set off my "why were they filming?" staged video alarm.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That's a paddlin'

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tetraptous posted:

Specific to the 737 MAX incidents, if they are the same problem, I think that FAA is at least as responsible as Boeing. I won't hold my breath, but there really should be some well considered scrutiny of how FAA certifies aircraft. Not necessarily in the sense that FAA isn't strict enough, but rather an honest evaluation of whether certain policies and processes inhibit safety instead of promoting it. The system isn't working if it encourages manufacturers to shoehorn modern capabilities into legacy aircraft where clean sheet designs would be safer, or if it discourages manufacturers from adopting newer technologies that would increase safety but may be difficult to certify. I'm somewhat familiar with a very tiny piece of the cert process for helicopters, and it's bonkers strict in certain areas that don't matter and weirdly lax in others that do. It's expensive to do testing, and yet the results of those tests are dubious. It definitely favors old technologies that were around before FAA was as stringent as it is today and discourages new technologies. If that's representative of the more safety critical parts of the process, it's a bit troubling.

The fact that a complex set of regulations has drift to it definately makes sense - I imagine to work well, you'd have to be, for lack of a better term, curating them for relevance and effectiveness. Trimming some things here, expanding other parts there. That's obviously hard, since you need a bunch of smart aerospace people working with a bunch of smart legal and regulatory people. Then on top of that, I'm thinking some of these regulations are international, so there an additional complication...

The FAA, the WTO, whoever could definitely do this, it just takes effort and a will to do it, which is a hard thing to find

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Also you gotta be careful, as this could be ripe for the cure being worse than the disease. If the criteria become too open to easy revision under the influence of monied interests, then the criteria could start following design rather than the other way around.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Tetraptous posted:

Specific to the 737 MAX incidents, if they are the same problem, I think that FAA is at least as responsible as Boeing. I won't hold my breath, but there really should be some well considered scrutiny of how FAA certifies aircraft. Not necessarily in the sense that FAA isn't strict enough, but rather an honest evaluation of whether certain policies and processes inhibit safety instead of promoting it. The system isn't working if it encourages manufacturers to shoehorn modern capabilities into legacy aircraft where clean sheet designs would be safer, or if it discourages manufacturers from adopting newer technologies that would increase safety but may be difficult to certify. I'm somewhat familiar with a very tiny piece of the cert process for helicopters, and it's bonkers strict in certain areas that don't matter and weirdly lax in others that do. It's expensive to do testing, and yet the results of those tests are dubious. It definitely favors old technologies that were around before FAA was as stringent as it is today and discourages new technologies. If that's representative of the more safety critical parts of the process, it's a bit troubling.

There's that, but from my (admittedly not particularly well-informed) point of view, it feels like the FAA and others are maybe a little bit too quick handing out equivalent level of safety waivers to various certification rules. We have instances where this is decidedly not the case, and also others still (Cougar Flight 91, and possibly the 737 MAX and MCAS) where the solution to provide an equivalent to the rules has its own potentially even more dangerous failure modes of their own.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FBS posted:

I can't read French but that clip set off my "why were they filming?" staged video alarm.

Yeah, plus it seems odd to have just piled a cube of hotmix into the back of a ute.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

"Reference runway construction on 26L; you're cleared to land runway 26L"

Otherwise it's one of the more elaborately staged gifs from China.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

edit: nvm I'm dumb as gently caress

Pepperoneedy fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 16, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

smooth jazz posted:

"Reference runway construction on 26L; you're cleared to land runway 26L"

Otherwise it's one of the more elaborately staged gifs from China.

The shirts (DINAC) are from Paraguay.

Hey, I looked it up:
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26769/code-brown-as-this-gulfstream-jet-nearly-lands-on-workers-repairing-a-closed-runway

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I like how the response from everyone is just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

The James Inhofe school of piloting I see.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Filling the pothole with asphalt and tamping it down with a shovel seems inadequate.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

The James Inhofe school of piloting I see.

A guy I used to work with apparently dealt with Inhofe a lot at the tower he'd previously worked at in Tulsa. He said Inhofe despised ATC and would do the exact opposite of what he was told just to gently caress with them. They'd report it but could never get anything to stick to the guy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ola posted:

Another business jet doing stupid poo poo. I'm starting to think there's a trend here.

I wonder if someone could become a billionaire making some sort of gadget that made the whine of bizjet engines on approach physically scream "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!?!?"

Maybe just an external speaker, tuned to be *just* louder than the fineable decibel level for that specific airport. :shrug:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I wonder if someone could become a billionaire making some sort of gadget that made the whine of bizjet engines on approach physically scream "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!?!?"

Maybe just an external speaker, tuned to be *just* louder than the fineable decibel level for that specific airport. :shrug:

This is called a Lear 25, no hush kit.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FBS posted:

Yeah you're right. Also yes, the other stuff seems off. Have I been bamboozled like a Facebook granddad in a deepfake propaganda attack on biz jets? Well then so be it, it doesn't have to be true to be right!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Nowadays, everyone has a camera in their pocket at all time, and the desire to share whatever they're doing with the entire Internet, so anytime there are more than three persons somewhere, you should assume at least one of them is filming.

Tetraptous posted:

I've just caught up with this thread, so this response is a little dated but hopefully informative. The idea of using multiple GPS receivers to calculate attitude is not crazy, but everyone who responded to the idea in this thread doesn't seem to understand how it works. I have a pair of $12k INS units on my desk at work that we use to instrument aircraft for flight testing. They have dual GPS inputs, which can be used to provide a much more accurate attitude estimate than what comes directly from the magnetometers and MEMS inertial system. They don't work by computing the GPS position of the two antennae, because as stated, there's too much error. Instead, they used interferometry, kind of like a real-time kinematic differential GPS unit, to give an extremely accurate (sub-centimeter) and reliable estimate of the relative positions of the two antennae. Most of the uncertainty in GPS positioning comes from slight timing changes caused by unpredictable atmospheric propagation variations. However, over the distance from one wingtip to another, the signal propagation is essentially the same. You can't just subtract any old pair of GPS position fixes and get a good answer, but with more information about the specific signal timing tracking the same set of satellites you can remove almost all of the uncertainty.

This is very cool, thanks!

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 16, 2019

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

...a bunch of smart legal and regulatory people. Then on top of that, I'm thinking some of these regulations are international, so there an additional complication...

The FAA, the WTO, whoever could definitely do this...

Can't tell if this is satire or not.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

Can't tell if this is satire or not.

Fair

I just mean that there's no rational reason why you couldn't do this well

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Here's your :negative: of the day - save for cost and logistics, the Blue Angels might've flown the F-14 after the F-4: https://theaviationgeekclub.com/man...he-f-4-phantom/

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
I have a question, what does the pre-flight step for the flight crew "All Call and Cross Check" mean?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Without looking it up, I seem to recall it means that the doors are armed and that the attendants are all in their flight positions/seats.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think “all call” might literally be each cabin crew picking up the phone at their position for a group chat.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

PainterofCrap posted:

Without looking it up, I seem to recall it means that the doors are armed and that the attendants are all in their flight positions/seats.

It’s this.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I'm a regional guy and we don't have these calls besides door for arrival (= open the door), but one time in the jumpseat at mainline I was bored so I was listening to the FA loop, and yeah they were all listing off their positions in order. Doors for arrival = disarm the slide. Crosscheck = check both left and right. And all call = each one report that you just did those things, to the lead FA.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Godholio posted:

Close.

I wish I could remember the name of the FE that drew silhouettes on the nose gear door. I can picture his face, but can't remember the name anymore.

Was it you that posted about the particular plane that had an engine un-start during almost every takeoff? To thee point that it became a bit of a superstition?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nope, that sounds pretty awful though.

2 or 3 of my last 5 E-3 flights DID end with only 3 engines running, but that's totally coincidence and not indicative of ancient engines in dire need of replacement (the other 2 or 3 were IFEs for landing gear problems).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

PhotoKirk posted:

Was it you that posted about the particular plane that had an engine un-start during almost every takeoff? To thee point that it became a bit of a superstition?

There was an AWACS that compressor stalled like every fourth takeoff -- engine un-start is a thing that affects supersonic aircraft only iirc

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

holocaust bloopers posted:

There was an AWACS that compressor stalled like every fourth takeoff -- engine un-start is a thing that affects supersonic aircraft only iirc

That was the story I was thinking about. Thank you!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

So what's the action for a compressor stall? I assume it involves idling the engine, but do you get to bring it back up to power after it settles down?

In the back the procedure is to jump because it sounds like someone's banging on the fuselage with a sledge.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ride it out. A compressor stall is an interruption of airflow within the engine. Lots of noise and a kick is felt — dramatic but harmless.

Now if it isn’t a one-time event during the flight then yes probably hop in the book to maybe explore a potential engine shut down. Either way, it’s always brought to MX’s attention to start the paper trail.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
You can tell this chart is fake because nothing is labeled 'drone'

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Here you go

Only registered members can see post attachments!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

slidebite posted:

Here you go

:perfect:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1107325900734062592

No story yet, just the quote.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Here's your :negative: of the day - save for cost and logistics, the Blue Angels might've flown the F-14 after the F-4: https://theaviationgeekclub.com/man...he-f-4-phantom/

That would have been hilariously expensive and I wonder how well you could fly in tight formation with a swing-wing.

I love the idea of A-7 Blue Angels though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

slidebite posted:

Here you go

Jesus CHRIST.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

slidebite posted:

Here you go

I don't get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

Drone sighting.

Which means panicked civilian saw a garbage bag that had been picked up by the wind.