Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

mod sassinator posted:

No I'm not. This community could exist in many different forms without the need to use a platform that enables fascists. Howabout that teacher organize a face to face discussion. Maybe with a therapist or other professional!

We get it, you've got a weird hate-boner for Discord in specific and not as a stand-in for the thousands of other ways groups communicate. Thank you for sharing your bizarre fixation with the rest of us.

E: Goode dog tax
https://twitter.com/YuckyTom/status/1105810216761856001

Harik fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

The idea Chelsea Clinton has anything to do with what happened yesterday is loving ludicrous and any self respecting leftist would say so.

No one said she had anything to do with it. They said, correctly, that it was in extremely poor taste for her to show up at the NYU vigil only a couple weeks after her own episode of Islamophobia.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

mod sassinator posted:

I'm sorry did you not just see fourty nine people were murdered live on the internet for the 'lulz'? Like I assume you're an actual human with emotions, but it can be hard to tell sometimes.

If you want to continue to twist my argument that companies who profit from this poo poo should stop into 'holy poo poo stopping bad speech might mean we stop some good speech too!' then go for it. Maybe, just maybe.. if you want to organize hate speech and groups you'll need to find other ways to do it.

Those are your words. Here, i'll quote them for you, and even bold the ones I specifically paraphrased:

mod sassinator posted:

Start a new private message with someone? How about we put a note at the top "Private messages on Discord are monitored and hate speech is reported to the authorities." Basic things that give an idiot pause. Maybe go even further.. why even allow private messages. This service is just for organizing and playing video games, it's no big loss.

There are tons of low effort things they can do to curb this poo poo and stop it entirely.
Trying to argue that it's just too hard and gosh darnit 'free speech' is just too important to change it (well, not as important as my profits!) is ridiculous. Look at how well that's worked for Twitter.

You want to stop people from being able to communicate, straight-up, because you think that might maybe slightly reduce the chance of A Terrorism. This is a direct quote from you, and not anyone else twisting your words. Discord is a service with tens of millions of monthly users; and although it could be doing more, it's so far down the list of problems you can't even see it from the top.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Booourns posted:

Given that discord is actively making money off this poo poo maybe they could spend a bit of it on hiring people to clean up their mess

Are they? What part of hosting channels makes them money? Don't they only make money through people buying premium accounts and poo poo through the store? It's not like anyone has to (or regularly) engages with that. It's not like reddit where keeping poo poo like t_d around is about ad revenue.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Majorian posted:

No one said she had anything to do with it. They said, correctly, that it was in extremely poor taste for her to show up at the NYU vigil only a couple weeks after her own episode of Islamophobia.

They absolutely do say that. Watch the video.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

I'm not trying to argue against that, and honestly.. that is fantastic and a genuine good use of technology. Let's direct people seeking out those communities to resources that exist today like support groups: https://www.healthyplace.com/gender/glbt-mental-health/gay-support-where-to-find-lgbt-help-and-support-groups Let's not direct them to private online communities adjacent to and enabling hate speech, murders, etc.

mod sassinator posted:

No I'm not. This community could exist in many different forms without the need to use a platform that enables fascists. Howabout that teacher organize a face to face discussion. Maybe with a therapist or other professional!

Both of these suggestions are about meeting up in person, do you not see how significantly different that is from an online chat room? Online communities are the only way for a lot of people to find support because they're far more accessible and casual than in-person groups.

Many people don't even know they need support until their interactions with a casual, relaxed place lead them to discover it about themselves.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 16, 2019

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

mod sassinator posted:

Boy you've staked out quite a "throw the baby out with the bath water" type of position here. I look forward to seeing you flail around trying to defend it.

Sure, let's ALL be punished because of the Nazis. Sure thing.

EDIT

This is a simply ridiculous statement.

mod sassinator posted:

There are tons of low effort things they can do to curb this poo poo and stop it entirely. Trying to argue that it's just too hard and gosh darnit 'free speech' is just too important to change it (well, not as important as my profits!) is ridiculous. Look at how well that's worked for Twitter.

STOP it entirely. Realistic goal, that!

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 16, 2019

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Niton posted:

You want to stop people from being able to communicate, straight-up, because you think that might maybe slightly reduce the chance of A Terrorism. This is a direct quote from you, and not anyone else twisting your words. Discord is a service with tens of millions of monthly users; and although it could be doing more, it's so far down the list of problems you can't even see it from the top.

No. I want to stop people from being able to communicate hate and companies profiting off it. There is a very clear distinction between that and the idea of stopping all speech. You can march down to any public street corner and blast whatever hateful poo poo you want on a megaphone. You shouldn't be able to do that to the entire world on Twitter, Discord, etc. and put money in people's pockets (directly or indirectly) in the process.

Stand down free speech crusader. Your precious first amendment is not under attack. Don't worry there are plenty of ways to still discuss hate speech and organize mass murders that don't involve companies profiting off it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

mod sassinator posted:

No. I want to stop people from being able to communicate hate and companies profiting off it. There is a very clear distinction between that and the idea of stopping all speech. You can march down to any public street corner and blast whatever hateful poo poo you want on a megaphone. You shouldn't be able to do that to the entire world on Twitter, Discord, etc. and put money in people's pockets (directly or indirectly) in the process.

Stand down free speech crusader. Your precious first amendment is not under attack. Don't worry there are plenty of ways to still discuss hate speech and organize mass murders that don't involve companies profiting off it.

One issue many people have with this kind of thing is that traditionally these types of laws end up targeting disadvantaged groups, like people of color or LBGT people.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

They absolutely do say that. Watch the video.

She says that the Islamophobia that people like Chelsea stoke helped cause the massacre, and she’s correct.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

mod sassinator posted:

You know what? gently caress this. You don't get to wag your finger and blame the person you quoted for what happened yesterday because you disagree about how to address it. The person you quoted has a valid concern. How dare you try to thrust blame for the actions of some Australian psycho onto them to make your stupid point.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

mod sassinator posted:

I'm not a free speech crusader. I'm an LGBT+ person who has directly seen what happens when corporations are given power to broadly surveil: we, and other minorities like us, are hurt.

Think of it this way: how could what you want from Discord (seriously why are you hung up on this and not Facebook/Twitter/YouTube) not be turned on left wing activists?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

You can write a poo poo-tier XMPP protocol client in hours with very little tech experience.

The instant messaging and chat room genie is out of the bottle. You can't put it back in.

Its like trying to argue that we should ban sticks or clubs: Even if you somehow took all of them away its trivial to create more.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Majorian posted:

She says that the Islamophobia that people like Chelsea stoke helped cause the massacre, and she’s correct.

If you believe what Clinton did was Islamaphobic then you too are unhinged.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I'm not a free speech crusader. I'm an LGBT+ person who has directly seen what happens when corporations are given power to broadly surveil: we, and other minorities like us, are hurt.

Think of it this way: how could what you want from Discord (seriously why are you hung up on this and not Facebook/Twitter/YouTube) not be turned on left wing activists?

We have to solve this problem together. I don't buy for a second that it's impossible to separate out hate groups from legitimately good groups that support minorities. What you are saying effectively is that it's impossible to support minorities, etc. without also supporting the hate groups that want to kill them.

Let's all cool down and realize that it is possible to do just that.

It might not be easy. It might cost money. It might cost us some things we enjoyed doing. But we need to solve that problem.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

mod sassinator posted:

What about this is free-speech crusading? You want to make it more difficult for tens of millions of people to communicate to.. what? "Turn off DMs in all social media" is one of the most thoughts-and-prayers solutions i've ever seen, and that's saying something.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

CelestialScribe posted:

Her "As an American I" is absolutely Islamaphobic when directed at a muslim immigrant.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm not wading into "Chelsea shares blame for the massacre" because that's a reach but you don't see how joining in on disingenuously assigning malice to mischaracterized remarks a Muslim WOC made on Twitter mostly because being a Muslim WOC in Congress makes her an easy target for such a bullshit argument is Islamophobic? You're unhinged if you can't connect dots that obviously placed.

Harik posted:

Her "As an American I" is absolutely Islamaphobic when directed at a muslim immigrant.

This too. Oh, she's a citizen but not "natural born" so she's "not American" per Chelsea? Yeah.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Haha had to :sever: with some people I've been playing games with for a couple of years because they were vehemently defending alt-right gateways like pewdiepie. To be honest I've always known they were on the right of the political spectrum and it's always been exhausting dealing with most of them but I didn't think it would come to a point where I'd rather just not ever talk to them again.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

mod sassinator posted:

We have to solve this problem together. I don't buy for a second that it's impossible to separate out hate groups from legitimately good groups that support minorities. What you are saying effectively is that it's impossible to support minorities, etc. without also supporting the hate groups that want to kill them.

It might not be easy. It might cost money. It might cost us some things we enjoyed doing. But we need to solve that problem.

You are functionally saying "Do not allow web services to allow users to communicate privately" or perhaps more generously "Have web services monitor all private communications between all users". Do you now understand how this is insane?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

CelestialScribe posted:

The idea Chelsea Clinton has anything to do with what happened yesterday is loving ludicrous and any self respecting leftist would say so.

You think increasing the negative feedback against one of the few vocal and visible Muslims in Congress had no effect on white supremacists then?

Bold stance imo

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

mod sassinator posted:

You're making this claim, so you have to cite ONE valid example where it wasn't then turned on marginalized groups. You can't simply keep screaming the same bogus claim over and over and then claim victory. We are simply pointing at actual, documented history to make our claims. Where's your evidence?

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

mod sassinator posted:

let's disband the internet and replace air travel with intercontinental highways, it worked in killer7

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

mod sassinator posted:

We have to solve this problem together.

Shut down youtube and facebook and make their replacements stop directing people to ever-more extreme content. Problem solved.

Your bizarre fixation has nothing to contribute to this conversation.

Z. Autobahn posted:

You are functionally saying "Do not allow web services to allow users to communicate privately" or perhaps more generously "Have web services monitor all private communications between all users". Do you now understand how this is insane?

He's literally not. He's not talking in general, when he says "Discord" he means discord.com, as it exists now, and not as a standin for any other irc-like.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Or we could just fight white supremacy at a societal level because we have massive issues with major political figures and institutions not calling it out and being held accountable?

Stomping it out and giving it less platforms and places to spread is helpful, but it kinda needs to be addressed top-down.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Unoriginal Name posted:

You think increasing the negative feedback against one of the few vocal and visible Muslims in Congress had no effect on white supremacists then?

Bold stance imo

It definitely had an effect. It just wasn't Islamaphobic.

In any case, the fact the two girls tried to profit off this exchange on Twitter should tell you everything about where they're coming from.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

It would also require erasing the knowledge of how to create replacement tools.

Having poo poo heads be on Discord is the last bad thing. If it was on IRC or XMPP or another protocol they could host their own servers, in countries that would tell the US to gently caress off, and it would be much more difficult to get access to them. Because Discord is a centralized system is now trivial for Law Enforcement to monitor them once they are aware of them and choose to monitor them.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Xae posted:

You can write a poo poo-tier XMPP protocol client in hours with very little tech experience.

We blocked all forms of chat at the school for a while, eventually the kids were doing stuff like editing the wikipedia page on cows, so their messages would get deleted, but be in the edit history log for each other to see. The idea of banning communication on the internet is just impossible. you just can't do it. There is no possible way to make it so two people can not send messages to each other online, there is no possible way to even make it hard to do so.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

You're literally talking about banning the concept of private communication, and framing it as the only way to stop hate speech. I've seen a lot of weird arguments here over the years but this one is pretty high up on the list.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

mod sassinator posted:

You have said that Discord should, at minimum, remove features that other people - non-fascist people - rely on, and you have argued that nobody's life would be significantly impacted if Discord went away entirely. You have been quoted many times; I don't need to repeat you any more.

Others have said, "Wait, we use Discord for good, and rely on some of those features, and while Discord as a company should do a better job of policing content, removing these features and/or the service as a whole is harmful to marginalized people, and any non-human algorithm that targets far-right content will also inevitably target content like LGBT+ channels, so Discord needs to be careful about how they police content."

You are taking that to mean "Discord just shouldn't police content because MY FREE SPEECH", which it obviously, blatantly, on its face does not.

So I have to ask: are you not actually reading the posts you reply to, or are you arguing in incredibly bad faith?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

In any case, the fact the two girls tried to profit off this exchange on Twitter should tell you everything about where they're coming from.

Yes, it was Islamophobic, and the fact that Chelsea thought it would be good PR to show up at this vigil should tell you everything you need to know about her.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Majorian posted:

Yes, it was Islamophobic, and the fact that Chelsea thought it would be good PR to show up at this vigil should tell you everything you need to know about her.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm no fan of Chelsea. But the idea she should be targeted here is completely outrageous.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Regarding Identity Eurpoa, I looked into their background on the request of a goon teacher on here in, iirc, early 2016. I didn't find the info that antifa released, which is way more extensive ofc, but a basic primer:

IE was set up with exterior funding. Its intended model from the start was to target and appeal to undergraduates, and particularly returning Iraq veterans going to school on the GI bill.
The organization has cycled through several public leaders, all of them white supremacist veterans, as, surprise surprise, they were all unstable and had trouble staying in school.
Public leadership and activity was generally in CA, which appeared to be coincidental.
The organization was incompetent and ineffective at recruiting others until it blended with other alt-right movements.
The people I was able to find on corporate forms was that money was flowing through one William Daniel Johnson. There wasn't very much I could track down without spending hundreds of dollars on document requests and doxxing myself.

Give me their names, I'll report them.

Oh hey, that might have been me (might have been another goon teacher too).

I remember seeing bizarre A E S T H E T I C S -style posters with greek statues and poo poo around my campus in 2016, and when I inspected them closer saw the identity evropa name written on them. A quick google and I told all my other instructor buddies and we tore them all down.

Was a bit shocked to see their posters all over a college campus, but so it goes.

For once, knowing the awful world of internet white supremacy and its stupid rear end symbols resulted in some good!

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

CelestialScribe posted:

As an American, LOL

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nice to be reminded about how the UKs tabloid media routinely puts even the worst of America’s to shame.

https://twitter.com/blurt2kc/status/1106546426543116289

What does that even mean.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

You don't think "As an American" combined with choosing to call out one of two Muslim women in Congress for "antisemitism" (which it 100% wasn't) isn't an Islamophobic act?

Take a loving look in the mirror. Is it on the same level as overt violence? No, but that's not what's being claimed. Low key bigotry is the kindling for what eventually becomes violence. If you are too willfully ignorant or naive to know that in 20fucking19 then you are a loving fool.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is there any way for New Zealand to prevent this shitstain from personally testifying in open court? Don’t allow him to have a platform to grandstand and spew what’s going to be A TON of horrible poo poo. He’s going to make a circus of any court appearance. Make everything he’s says to the court have to be read through an intermediary. Is that legal?

Or surgically remove his tongue that would be fine too.

Super-injuctions, gag orders, etc

it's not going to stop it getting out there because there's ALWAYS leaks in high profile cases, but they can keep it out of the major press

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

“Newspapers”

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

CelestialScribe posted:

Nah, the protestors were correct, joining the Omar shame train was in line with Islamaphobia and she helped enable racist BS against the first muslim congresswoman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Midgetskydiver posted:

You don't think "As an American" combined with choosing to call out one of two Muslim women in Congress for "antisemitism" (which it 100% wasn't) isn't an Islamophobic act?

Take a loving look in the mirror. Is it on the same level as overt violence? No, but that's not what's being claimed. Low key bigotry is the kindling for what eventually becomes violence. If you are too willfully ignorant or naive to know that in 20fucking19 then you are a loving fool.

It is absolutely being claimed that this act is the same as violence. Again, watch the video.