Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I mean, what's the concern really? That he can't see over NFL linemen the same size as the ones he plays with in college?

You don’t think there is a point where a guy is so small that it becomes a detriment to either his performance or durability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Ehud posted:

You don’t think there is a point where a guy is so small that it becomes a detriment to either his performance or durability?

I don't think it is just height. Dude looks slight in frame/build and I am fully believing the conspiracy theory that he bulked up for the combine and at actually plays at sub 200 lbs. If true he will die the first time he smacked by a DT

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

EmbryoSteve posted:

I don't think it is just height. Dude looks slight in frame/build and I am fully believing the conspiracy theory that he bulked up for the combine and at actually plays at sub 200 lbs. If true he will die the first time he smacked by a DT

That's not even a conspiracy theory, the one where people were complaining he didn't get his height measured again at his pro day is a good conspiracy theory.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

EmbryoSteve posted:

He almost certainly bulked up for the weigh in. I agree that it isn't just height. He's just a small dude overall. Russell Wilson is also short, but he's stout as hell.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Ehud posted:

He almost certainly bulked up for the weigh in. I agree that it isn't just height. He's just a small dude overall. Russell Wilson is also short, but he's stout as hell.

Wilson is listed at 206. No reason to think that Murray couldn't add at least that since he weighed in at 207 with professional weight and nutrition regimen.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

weird Asian candy posted:

Wilson is listed at 206. No reason to think that Murray couldn't add at least that since he weighed in at 207 with professional weight and nutrition regimen.

I dunno man. This was Wilson at the combine.

And here he is in 2016.

It's hard to imagine Kyler Murray holding weight like that.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
god drat, russell wilson is pretty yoked

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Ehud posted:

It's hard to imagine Kyler Murray holding weight like that.

Maybe? I dunno. Wilson weighed in at 204 at the combine and 5'11". Kyler was 207 at 5"10 but I think everyone knows he is 5'9" and some change. That 2016 Wilson pic was also after 5 years in the league and at age 28. Kyler may have to work harder to keep the weight on that Russ did, but if he bulked up to 207 with his own dudes, I would think he could do at least that and them some with the team's staff he gets drafted to. Maybe I'm wrong hell I dunno lol :shrug:

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Ehud posted:

I don't really have any concerns about Kyler Murray's height. There are enough shorter guys around at this point to indicate that it's something that has been historically overblown.

Weight-wise, I think there's certainly a potential for additional risk, but I have no idea how much additional risk. I don't think weight is a very good predictor of injury, just on the face of it. There are a lot of murky underlying factors on that one involving physical properties we can't measure like ligament tensile strength and a bunch of bio-mechanical factors.

Murray is very risk-adverse when it comes to taking hits, which I think is good.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I don't really have any concerns about Kyler Murray's height. There are enough shorter guys around at this point to indicate that it's something that has been historically overblown.

Weight-wise, I think there's certainly a potential for additional risk, but I have no idea how much additional risk. I don't think weight is a very good predictor of injury, just on the face of it. There are a lot of murky underlying factors on that one involving physical properties we can't measure like ligament tensile strength and a bunch of bio-mechanical factors.

Murray is very risk-adverse when it comes to taking hits, which I think is good.

He's got a stouter frame than Lamar Jackson and probably will take less hits overall because he's not run first and he doesn't like taking them. So that's promising. To me Russell is a great comparison and they actually look relatively similar in terms of musculature, with Russell having a naturally stouter torso.

Doesn't look like a pushover to me. Muscle hamster 2.0

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I think it's a possibility, but who knows? I go back and forth on Haskins- should the Dolphins in their position be OK with a comparatively limited ceiling?

Haskins has a pretty high ceiling imho. A one year starter, so we haven't seen all he's capable of (but what we have seen was drat good). And he has the arm strength and accuracy already to hit every part of the field. He could legit be very good.

To me it's the floor that's the worry, mainly because I wonder how he will deal with pressure. That's something we wonder about most college QBs, but Haskins is a very awkward mover and plenty of pass rushers will be able to hunt him down easily if they're getting through.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Maybe? I dunno. Wilson weighed in at 204 at the combine and 5'11". Kyler was 207 at 5"10 but I think everyone knows he is 5'9" and some change.

This! This is the conspiracy theory I love.

Like, do you think he was stretched out on a rack before the combine measurement? Do you think the NFL is cheating to make him more appealing to NFL teams in order to screw over the MLB? I can't wrap my mind around this but I love that it is something that people think. Like, historically the idea was to never trust measurements until the Senior Bowl or Combine, and now here we are. The man could have (and probably did) bulk up for the weight, but what is he doing to add 3/4 of an inch?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

This! This is the conspiracy theory I love.

Like, do you think he was stretched out on a rack before the combine measurement? Do you think the NFL is cheating to make him more appealing to NFL teams in order to screw over the MLB? I can't wrap my mind around this but I love that it is something that people think. Like, historically the idea was to never trust measurements until the Senior Bowl or Combine, and now here we are. The man could have (and probably did) bulk up for the weight, but what is he doing to add 3/4 of an inch?

For me it's more they measured him in his shoes. That's the extent of my conspiracy theory. God bless.

ftr I think it's super silly. 3/4" isn't gonna make or break a career.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

i think he was stretched out on a rack. that's been my theory since the beginning and I would appreciate you not stealing it

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Dolphins: Tank for Tua or draft QB

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

why can't Trevor Lawrence come out next year

god dangit

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I don't really trust the Dolphins ability to tank properly.

They won a lot of the games they won last year based on explosive offensive plays or interceptions from guys still on the roster. Unless you're trading a bunch of those guys, you've got an easy element of risk there. Even if you're starting Luke Falk.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I don't really trust the Dolphins ability to tank properly.

They won a lot of the games they won last year based on explosive offensive plays or interceptions from guys still on the roster. Unless you're trading a bunch of those guys, you've got an easy element of risk there. Even if you're starting Luke Falk.

why can't you just be positive and hope the dolphins lose games

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Do NFL teams even tank? NBA teams tank for sure. MLB teams tank. Feels like tanking in the NFL isn't really a thing although the Giants sure seem to be trying rn.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Do NFL teams even tank? NBA teams tank for sure. MLB teams tank. Feels like tanking in the NFL isn't really a thing although the Giants sure seem to be trying rn.

the miami dolphins are innovators

ever heard of the wildcat offense

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

1-31

trading Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I think the Colts did for Andrew Luck, although they were pretty close to naturally being there.

The Giants just seem like they're incompetent.

That being said, it sure seems like the Dolphins are planning to:

https://twitter.com/AdamHBeasley/status/1106640964850991104

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 15, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

I think the short season makes it harder to tank. if you take one or two in your division then win a couple other games off a fluke fumble return TD/pick six you're already out of the top of the draft

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

The colts absolutely tanked for luck

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ches Neckbeard posted:

1-31

trading Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper

Were the Browns actively trying to tank though or were they just that bad?

And was Oakland trying to tank or was Gruden just that dumb?

indigi posted:

I think the short season makes it harder to tank. if you take one or two in your division then win a couple other games off a fluke fumble return TD/pick six you're already out of the top of the draft

Yeah, I agree with this.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Ehud posted:

why can't Trevor Lawrence come out next year

god dangit

Continue the tank for two years. It must be done. Not joking.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Were the Browns actively trying to tank though or were they just that bad?

And was Oakland trying to tank or was Gruden just that dumb?

There Browns were mostly rookies and UDFA's for 2 years. Dude there's no arguing this.

The Raiders were barren without those 2

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ches Neckbeard posted:

There Browns were mostly rookies and UDFA's for 2 years. Dude there's no arguing this.

Not arguing, genuinely curious.

I paid zero attention to the Browns so I will take your word for it. It just seemed like it was much more obvious in other sports than it was in the NFL.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The Raiders were barren without those 2

I mean, your owner did take draft advice from a hobo, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that 1-31 was genuine incompetence

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Continue the tank for two years. It must be done. Not joking.

I would sign up for this, but I don't think there is any chance we do it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ehud posted:

it'd be hard to convince the coach or GM to sign up for it though. Sashi got canned before getting to see the fruits of that tank, and Sam Hinkie still doesn't have a job even though it turned out well for the 76ers. long-term tanks are bad for the resume

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Suddenly interested in fast wide receivers.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Ehud posted:

I think it would be a bad idea(especially if your goal is a single prospect like Lawrence).

Your 2019 rookie class is going to be halfway through their rookie deals by the time you've even drafted your QB.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I think it would be a bad idea(especially if your goal is a single prospect like Lawrence).

Your 2019 rookie class is going to be halfway through their rookie deals by the time you've even drafted your QB.

don’t draft anyone in 2019 and trade all your picks for later drafts

problem solved

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

Suddenly interested in fast wide receivers.

I like Parris Campbell. Fast, good hands, never beaten a woman or child and in fact seems like a real nice guy

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Giants not interested in Haskins. Smoke or just more Gettleman being dumb. Giants - Dolphins tank battle for Tua? Loser gets Herbert?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

indigi posted:

I mean, your owner did take draft advice from a hobo, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that 1-31 was genuine incompetence

Ah, they let walk or released the middle core of the team, guys with 3-5 years in the NFL. That essentially gutted the team until a core could be rebuilt.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Play posted:

I like Parris Campbell. Fast, good hands, never beaten a woman or child and in fact seems like a real nice guy
Same. I was on board with taking him in the first before the Tyreek situation. Now? They would be stupid not to.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

gently caress Campbell, Metcalf is perfect for Mahomes.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Ehud posted:

don’t draft anyone in 2019 and trade all your picks for later drafts

problem solved

This guy gets it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It legit seems like the best way to become a legit contender as fast as possible. Billionaires are weird though. I guess they are too impatient to wait 3 years.