Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

PostNouveau posted:

You've probably never seen an artist whose heyday was the 70s and whose biggest fans all have one foot in the grave.

I've been to see Willie Nelson and people were standing for a lot of his songs. The dude is like 90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

It's ok. Sam and Dean Winchester aren't actually brothers in real life.

e:

Piell posted:

It says it's about famous people in the tldr, so 99% chance it's about the brothers from Supernatural.

gently caress

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I reported a coworker for what he said about the New Zealand shooting?

Okay so this guy I work with, Larry, and I don't care for each other. We've never gotten along. I don't express my distaste to him, I just keep to myself and ignore 98% of everything he says unless it's work related. The tension isn't helped by the fact we work in very close quarters and it's impossible to avoid each other.

Some context: Larry is about 30 years older than I am and he loves Trump and Fox News. I don't share those interests whatsoever. He's also a jerk. He was very quick to report me to HR once because I said (in response to an article I read that scientists are running in record numbers after Trump's election), "what a novel idea: intelligent people running for Congress." So I think he's a class A prick.

To the point: today we were talking about the New Zealand shooting because another coworker brought it up. Typically, I don't engage because of how sensitive Larry is. However, against my better judgement, I decided to add the following comment...

Me: I read that the shooter announced ahead of time that he would be live streaming his attack. He also wrote a 76 page manifesto and stated in it that he was hoping to specifically cause more division and tension in the US.

Larry: (to our coworker, thinking he's making a hilarious joke) it happened because we live in the "Islamic States of America."

I shut up at this point and kept to myself because I didn't have anything positive to add. If I had opened my mouth, I was gonna lash out at how idiotic he was.

My question:. WIBTA if I report Larry's comment to my supervisor? Larry consistently reports other coworkers for the lamest reasons and he's the definition of a Republican snowflake and a jerk. The problem is that he is very good at dragging people down to his idiot level and that's why I've disengaged for the most part.

Advice/thoughts/judgements?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Both the actors that portray their love interests and the actors' real-life partners get hate mail and threats from women who write that kind of incest fanfiction to the point where the show itself has made fun of it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

How do I (39M) tell my girlfriend 34F) she needs professional help?

My partner has an enormous weed habit (I don’t smoke at all) and I think it sends her slightly crazy. When she hasn’t smoke for 4 or 5 hours she gets crazy and starts abusing me and trying to start fights. If I try to get her to have some weed it makes it worse because I’m calling her a pot head. She starts fights and I try to stop them and by the end of it she has me convinced that I am the one that started it. We have been together for 5 years so I know the pattern. I really want her to get help but if I bring it up it just starts another fight with her yelling at me saying I hate her and think she’s crazy. I don’t know what to do

TL:DR My girlfriend needs to smoke weed every couple of hours and starts fights when she doesn’t.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for wanting to break up with my boyfriend over his new business idea?

For the past 2 months, my boyfriend (29M) of 4 years has been obsessed with the idea of opening up a cafe. That's all well and good -- it's his dream and who am I to stand in the way of it. The problem though is that he wants me to put in almost all of my savings and take out a loan to make it work because his credit score is poo poo, he has no savings, and I can just "borrow from family anyway to save on interest".

With that in mind, I started asking for details. I don't think it's going to work. Why? Because he's dead set on this location that has 3 other cafes in a 0.5 mile radius (selling the exact same thing), plus, there's no concrete plan other than "trust me I know what I'm doing". Told him all that on Tuesday and it escalated into how I (28F) shouldn't have wasted money going back to university because "no one will hire a 30 year old fresh graduate anyway", and that if I hadn't gone I could've invested in our future instead.

A mutual friend of ours also thinks that I'm in the wrong and being selfish in choosing what I chose so that's great. Our relationship is hanging by a thread atm since we haven't spoken since that conversation despite living under the same roof.

Am I the rear end in a top hat here?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smirking_Serpent posted:

How do I (39M) tell my girlfriend 34F) she needs professional help?

My partner has an enormous weed habit (I don’t smoke at all) and I think it sends her slightly crazy. When she hasn’t smoke for 4 or 5 hours she gets crazy and starts abusing me and trying to start fights. If I try to get her to have some weed it makes it worse because I’m calling her a pot head. She starts fights and I try to stop them and by the end of it she has me convinced that I am the one that started it. We have been together for 5 years so I know the pattern. I really want her to get help but if I bring it up it just starts another fight with her yelling at me saying I hate her and think she’s crazy. I don’t know what to do

TL:DR My girlfriend needs to smoke weed every couple of hours and starts fights when she doesn’t.

im under attack. this is violence.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Smirking_Serpent posted:

For the past 2 months, my boyfriend (29M) of 4 years has been obsessed with the idea of opening up a cafe. That's all well and good -- it's his dream and who am I to stand in the way of it. The problem though is that he wants me to put in almost all of my savings and take out a loan to make it work because his credit score is poo poo, he has no savings, and I can just "borrow from family anyway to save on interest".

With that in mind, I started asking for details. I don't think it's going to work. Why? Because he's dead set on this location that has 3 other cafes in a 0.5 mile radius (selling the exact same thing), plus, there's no concrete plan other than "trust me I know what I'm doing". Told him all that on Tuesday and it escalated into how I (28F) shouldn't have wasted money going back to university because "no one will hire a 30 year old fresh graduate anyway", and that if I hadn't gone I could've invested in our future instead.

A mutual friend of ours also thinks that I'm in the wrong and being selfish in choosing what I chose so that's great. Our relationship is hanging by a thread atm since we haven't spoken since that conversation despite living under the same roof.

OP should stay with him, but go "if it's such a good idea why aren't banks racing to give you money?" over and over until he does the breaking up for her.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Boyfriend's a loving idiot who is going to leave her bankrupt.

If he doesn't even have a business plan, his cafe is going to lawn dart.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my wife to go to the back of the line?

submitted 3 hours ago by ancapmike

My wife has a habit of doing this and I've told her in the past that it makes me uncomfortable so today I stood my ground. When we finish shopping at the grocery store, we will get in line and after a while she wanders off and starts picking up more stuff (mind you it's usually just one or two items, not a whole cart full). I'll be at the self checkout ringing up the purchases and she will walk past everyone in line and add her extra stuff to the cart. Today I told her to put it back or go to the back of the line. As far as I'm concerned it's cutting, I get upset when other people do this and I feel like a total hypocrite when I let her do it. She told me I was being irrational and that nobody cared. I told her that it didn't matter and I wasn't going to help her cut, if she knew she wanted to grab more things then she should have done it before announcing that she was all done and ready to go. It's a minor issue, we didn't get into a fight and she took the item (a tray of muffins) back. But I'm curious what others take on this is. AITA?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Smirking_Serpent posted:

60% of restaurants fail in the first 36 months (not 95% as commonly believed) whereas unemployment among college graduates is only 2.1% right now.

She should loving run, from BF and her lovely friend.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

dumb cafe boyfriend OP posted:

He's been working at a cafe as a barista/cashier for the past year give or take so he says he knows what customers like/how everything works. Thing is, I was a barista/cashier too years ago at a similarly busy place (4 or 5 staff per shift plus 1 manager) and I wouldn't call that business experience so maybe I'm skeptical.

:allears:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my wife to go to the back of the line?

submitted 3 hours ago by ancapmike

My wife has a habit of doing this and I've told her in the past that it makes me uncomfortable so today I stood my ground. When we finish shopping at the grocery store, we will get in line and after a while she wanders off and starts picking up more stuff (mind you it's usually just one or two items, not a whole cart full). I'll be at the self checkout ringing up the purchases and she will walk past everyone in line and add her extra stuff to the cart. Today I told her to put it back or go to the back of the line. As far as I'm concerned it's cutting, I get upset when other people do this and I feel like a total hypocrite when I let her do it. She told me I was being irrational and that nobody cared. I told her that it didn't matter and I wasn't going to help her cut, if she knew she wanted to grab more things then she should have done it before announcing that she was all done and ready to go. It's a minor issue, we didn't get into a fight and she took the item (a tray of muffins) back. But I'm curious what others take on this is. AITA?

This is so incredibly stupid.... like I don’t even understand the logic here.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

He's an Ancap who's really into rules he made up in his head so idk why you're looking for logic.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

it turns out he's really into the hotwife/swinging scene so I feel like he should be more chill

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for refusing to help the addict who saved my life when I was using?

I’m almost 28 and after some surgery I got addicted to prescription painkillers like oxy and Percocet.

I eventually graduated to heroin and got clean when I was 26 but relapsed after only a couple months. At the time I was more or less homeless but me and this other guy “Jack” squatted together in this abandoned building for a little while. We looked out for each other and we always had Naloxone on us in case we needed it because the local needle exchange would give it out to known users in the city.

I ended up overdosing after my relapse because I over estimated how much I could actually handle at that point and luckily Jack came back at the right moment and saved my life.

After this, I have been fully clean for a little bit over a year now. I haven’t seen or heard from Jack for a really long time, I’ve moved into my own decent apartment, I have a decent job and I have always just assumed that he was dead by now.

Well we live in a medium to smaller sized city so I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised that I would run into people I knew eventually.

I was out going to my bank, which is in a sketchier part of the city, and I hear somebody call out my name. I turn around and it’s Jack.

I can immediately tell that he’s super strung out and he goes, “Wow look at you. Guess you finally managed to get better.”

I’m feeling nervous as gently caress because I don’t trust strung out junkies because I was that strung out junkie not too long ago.

He tells me that he has been trying to get sober for the past year but nothing has been working out. Then, as I expected, he asks me for help. He asks me if he can crash at my place or if I can help him out with some money to go to a rehab since he says that I now look like, “I can spare it.”

I had nor do I have any desire to let an actively using heroin addict stay at my apartment. And I don’t want to give him money because I know for a fact that poo poo will not go to a rehab.

I tell him that I don’t think I can do that for him but I wish him luck.

He says I’m a “loving rear end in a top hat” and that I’d be dead if it “wasn’t for him”. To be fair, he is right. I would’ve died without him. He then just spits at my feet and walks off. I left feeling pretty shook up.

I thought at the time that I was making the right decision but I don’t know anymore. He did save my life and I could very well be in his position or dead instead of where I am right now. But I also don’t think I am ready to be around people like that at this point in my recovery. I’ve lost all of my family, who want nothing to do with me and my only friend left helped me get clean and I don’t want to drag him back into this world so I don’t have a lot of people to talk to about this besides my sponsor.

AITA for refusing to help Jack? He saved my life but I don’t know what I can really do for him.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I’m almost 28 and after some surgery I got addicted to prescription painkillers like oxy and Percocet.

I eventually graduated to heroin and got clean when I was 26 but relapsed after only a couple months. At the time I was more or less homeless but me and this other guy “Jack” squatted together in this abandoned building for a little while. We looked out for each other and we always had Naloxone on us in case we needed it because the local needle exchange would give it out to known users in the city.

I ended up overdosing after my relapse because I over estimated how much I could actually handle at that point and luckily Jack came back at the right moment and saved my life.

After this, I have been fully clean for a little bit over a year now. I haven’t seen or heard from Jack for a really long time, I’ve moved into my own decent apartment, I have a decent job and I have always just assumed that he was dead by now.

Well we live in a medium to smaller sized city so I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised that I would run into people I knew eventually.

I was out going to my bank, which is in a sketchier part of the city, and I hear somebody call out my name. I turn around and it’s Jack.

I can immediately tell that he’s super strung out and he goes, “Wow look at you. Guess you finally managed to get better.”

I’m feeling nervous as gently caress because I don’t trust strung out junkies because I was that strung out junkie not too long ago.

He tells me that he has been trying to get sober for the past year but nothing has been working out. Then, as I expected, he asks me for help. He asks me if he can crash at my place or if I can help him out with some money to go to a rehab since he says that I now look like, “I can spare it.”

I had nor do I have any desire to let an actively using heroin addict stay at my apartment. And I don’t want to give him money because I know for a fact that poo poo will not go to a rehab.

He says I’m a “loving rear end in a top hat” and that I’d be dead if it “wasn’t for him”. To be fair, he is right. I would’ve died without him. He then just spits at my feet and walks off. I left feeling pretty shook up.

I thought at the time that I was making the right decision but I don’t know anymore. He did save my life and I could very well be in his position or dead instead of where I am right now. But I also don’t think I am ready to be around people like that at this point in my recovery. I’ve lost all of my family, who want nothing to do with me and my only friend left helped me get clean and I don’t want to drag him back into this world so I don’t have a lot of people to talk to about this besides my sponsor.

AITA for refusing to help Jack? He saved my life but I don’t know what I can really do for him.

Man that's some heavy poo poo. It ain't funny at all.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sad now.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I moved to Singapore alone for my career because my wife doesn't want to.

We've been married for 6 years. We have twin daughters.

I've been promoted to an associate at my company and I'm really happy. This is really huge and something I always wanted. Career wise this is one of the best things that could happen and I worked hard for this. But I need to move to Singapore for a couple of years.

My wife works part time because she takes care of our daughters. I told my wife about this but she's not willing to move because she is kind of attached to our city. Her family also lives here so I completely understand. I'm not asking her to move and I respect her decision. So, I told her that I'd go to Singapore alone and I'll visit them regularly. But she is upset and thinks that I'm being selfish. She tells me that we don't need more money. But it's not all about the money for me. She's really upset that I proposed going alone.

What am I doing wrong? I respected her wishes but she thinks I'm being selfish. AITA?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I appreciate the volume of content you push over to here, but for this one, there's nothing of here of interest to the gawking internet audience. It's just a guy feeling conflicted about a real issue where there's no winners.

edit:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I moved to Singapore alone for my career because my wife doesn't want to.
otoh, THIS is the good stuff. "I want to uproot my family to move to another (foreign language?) nation. Wife doesn't want this, so I'm leaving them to work. Why is she angry?"

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 16, 2019

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I threw several pillows at my meowing cat?

This story is short.

Our cat gets fed every morning around 7:00 AM when my girlfriend goes to work. I don't typically wake up until around 8:30 AM, but one of my cats will sit in my doorway and meow constantly - like he was never fed, and that I need to come feed him. He does this as soon as she walks out the door; it's like clockwork. Basically, my cat is waking me up every morning almost 2 hours before my alarm.

I have tried "fake" feeding him, and that usually gets him to stop.

Most mornings I just roll over and pretend I don't hear him, but tomorrow I have a big meeting and really need my sleep; would I be the rear end in a top hat if I put a bunch of small (soft) pillows by my bed, to use as ammunition when he comes meowing? I think if I startle him, he'll run away - and give me at least a few minutes of peace.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Not enabling an addict is the correct call, even if it sucks and you feel like poo poo about it.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Serephina posted:

I appreciate the volume of content you push over to here, but for this one, there's nothing of here of interest to the gawking internet audience. It's just a guy feeling conflicted about a real issue where there's no winners.

edit:

otoh, THIS is the good stuff. "I want to uproot my family to move to another (foreign language?) nation. Wife doesn't want this, so I'm leaving them to work. Why is she angry?"

English is one of the official languages in Singapore and while not the only one you can live there easily with just English.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I threw several pillows at my meowing cat?

This story is short.

Our cat gets fed every morning around 7:00 AM when my girlfriend goes to work. I don't typically wake up until around 8:30 AM, but one of my cats will sit in my doorway and meow constantly - like he was never fed, and that I need to come feed him. He does this as soon as she walks out the door; it's like clockwork. Basically, my cat is waking me up every morning almost 2 hours before my alarm.

I have tried "fake" feeding him, and that usually gets him to stop.

Most mornings I just roll over and pretend I don't hear him, but tomorrow I have a big meeting and really need my sleep; would I be the rear end in a top hat if I put a bunch of small (soft) pillows by my bed, to use as ammunition when he comes meowing? I think if I startle him, he'll run away - and give me at least a few minutes of peace.

Water Bottle works better, than you associate waking up with getting punished and your cat will leave you alone.

Always.

:smith:

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Piell posted:

It says it's about famous people in the tldr, so 99% chance it's about the brothers from Supernatural.

Huh. Called it!

... :negative:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I [23F] am suspicious that a man I went on a date with [30M] was lying about his job?

quote:

I [23F] met Ken [30M] on a dating app and tonight we went out for dinner. He was very gentlemanly and not unattractive, but would not stop talking about this bizarre job of his. I'm questioning if he was flat out lying to my face.

So Ken claimed that he is a top secret field operative for a nonprofit organization that deals with reporting Islamic terrorism. At first I thought that sounded interesting!

Then... he went on and on about how his real identity has to be kept hidden, the organization only knows him by an alias that sounded straight out a of cheesy action movie (think "Archer Steel", or something equally ridiculous).

He bragged that his research alone was responsible for catching several infamous terrorists, but he opted not to receive any credit for it. Said that he could speak fluent Arabic. Also said the FBI uses his work to train agents which he is again uncredited for. Also, he makes such a large amount of money that he simply felt uncomfortable discussing it; but drove an old rickety pickup truck and I had to cover the waitresses' tip unexpectedly.

I've already decided that there will be no second date or further contact, but DAE think that he was completely full of crap? Maybe half of it was true? I know it doesn't matter, but it freaked me out. Of course the organization's official website has not one mention of his name or the alias. I can't even find any information on him when Googling his name. Thoughts on this?

TL;DR Had dinner with a man and the only topic of discussion was his secret agent investigator job catching terrorists. There's 0 proof. He was lying to me, right?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Straight White Shark posted:

I [23F] am suspicious that a man I went on a date with [30M] was lying about his job?

Protip: anyone who ever actually does that kind of work will not say as much until after retirement, especially on a first date.

loving duh.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Lady you're insanely gullible. The dude is insanely racist too and was trying to spin this racism into a way to get hero laid.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

13Pandora13 posted:

Protip: anyone who ever actually does that kind of work will not say as much until after retirement, especially on a first date.

loving duh.

Confirming there's a specific set of laws that make it a crime to talk about this poo poo if you're involved in it. For example: here's the guidance from FinCEN on how you do not talk about a SAR, you do not imply the existence of a SAR, you do not imply the non-existence of a SAR, etc.

Maybe he thought she was too young for true lies

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 16, 2019

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

quote:

So Ken claimed that he is a top secret field operative for a nonprofit organization that deals with reporting Islamic terrorism. At first I thought that sounded interesting!

Ohhh you operate outside the law harassing muslims? *bats eyes*

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I thought maybe he's a right-wing media grifter instead of in addition to being completely full of poo poo, but she said he's attractive so it can't be that

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

This is extremely late but if you want to use your maiden name professionally, don’t change it when you get married. I’m in research and work alongside doctors and a large number of women keep their maiden name. Having two sounds stupid and a pain in the rear end. Even worse if you’re trying to mix and match. That’s just asking for trouble.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

We've been married for 6 years. We have twin daughters.

I've been promoted to an associate at my company and I'm really happy.

ooo an associate position. I'd be a fool not to leave my kids to be an associate.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

ooo an associate position. I'd be a fool not to leave my kids to be an associate.

Im assuming its associate director or associate vice president or some other similar title. Especially if the company can move him this year hes important because Singapore is currently restricting work Visas until their elections finish.

Honestly his wife can suck it up, singapore speaks English and rules.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just don't chew gum.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Smirking_Serpent posted:

it turns out he's really into the hotwife/swinging scene so I feel like he should be more chill
Guy steps up to nut on his wife's face NO gently caress YOU GET OUT IT WAS MY TURN

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It’s understandable for his wife to be nervous about the idea of moving to a foreign country with children even if Singapore is one of the easiest countries to be an expat in. But also, has she considered that the food is loving amazing?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't Singapore really expensive to live in on top of everything?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't Singapore really expensive to live in on top of everything?

If his company is serious about the position he’ll get a good salary (maybe an apartment provided) and the company may pay for his kids’ tuition to Singapore American School or somewhere similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

MarcusSA posted:

as a kid my mom would always leave me with stuff in line and go back to get more items and then i'd finish unloading the cart and wait there for between a minute and three minutes with no way to pay holding up the cashier and the entire line and just feeling this burning shame

maybe he had a similar experience

its self checkout though and if she arrives while he's still checking out then nobody's time is being wasted