Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Well thank you for the help guys but it turns out I can go to Australia for under 2000 so I may end up doing that. I have put your advises in the spreadsheet for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

true.spoon posted:

As far as I can tell it's an old (apparently comprehensive) eye chart for testing color blindness.

That sounds cool, plz post a best page if possible!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I was just in Tokyo in December playing tour guide to friends who flew in from NY - there were multiple occasions over dinner/drinks where we struck convivial conversations with locals sitting next to us.

Don't expect locals to be grateful to interact with gaijin at every opportunity but Japanese can friendly especially when drunk.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

PS I miss Stringent !!!! on a personal irl level!!!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Can confirm that Stringent is a Cool Dude

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

PS I miss Stringent !!!! on a personal irl level!!!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
My trip to Tokyo is from October 5-12th, with the 5th and 12th being basically just arrival/departure days. I wanted some input on this very loose itinerary. I know there’s a big Chinese holiday that ends near the beginning of my trip, so I hope it won’t impact things too much.

Things in bold are kind of non-negotiable, unless there’s a really good reason to skip. I’m going with my wife and best friend. We’re all in our early 30s and are mostly interested in eating good food, anime/game culture, shopping for cool souvenirs and funky/hipsterish clothes, nature, and architecture.

I guess that’s a lot, but at least my friend and I are pretty big weebs, so we’re going to enjoy it all. None of us are big drinkers, but we’ll happily partake now and then. I also have a lot of parks on here. Obviously if there’s one or two you all think are heads above the rest, we’ll go there since I know my list is pretty long.

Our AirBnB is in Sugamo which seems firmly in the central North part of Tokyo, so I tried to plan our days in terms of West/East Tokyo to avoid too much travel time.

Day 1-3 Sunday-Tuesday: West-side – Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku

- Sunshine City
- Jujo Ginza
- Shinjuku Gyoen Park
- Godz Bar (a heavy metal bar my friend wants to visit
- Mikado

- Omoide Yokucho
- Kabukicho
- Kichijoji
- Inokashira Park
- Tatemonoen
- Kagurazaka – We watched a video on this area and it looks too cool to miss
- Scramble crossing
- Okushibu
- Don Quixote
- Nakameguro
- Katsu Midori sushi
- Shimokitazawa – My wife is really interested in all of the vintage clothes here
- Yoyogi Park
- Meiji Jingu
- Togo shrine

Day 4-6 Wednesday – Friday: East-side – Ueno, Akihabara, Tokyo, Roppongi, Shimabashi, Asakusa, Akasaka, Odaiba

- Ueno Park
- Ginza Uniqlo
- Sega arcade
- Super Potato
- Imperial Palace – Wife wants to book a tour of the inner garden
- Tsukiji fish market
- Roppongi bars (wanted to go to Abbey Road, a Beatles bar)
- Sensoji and Nakamise temple
- Tokyo Skytree
- Hie Shrine
- Joypolis
- TeamLabs Planets

Again, any input is welcome. I’m not crazy enough to think I’m going to hit every single thing on this list or not get distracted by something cool every two minutes. I just wanted y’all’s thoughts on what’s a “must-do”.

God, I want to get so fat in Tokyo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any good concerts happening in Tokyo 4/15~4/17ish? Trying to put together a list of stuff to do, otherwise I’ll spend my vacation napping in my hotel room.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Off the top of my head, for nerdy stuff I'd add:
-Nakano Broadway
-Character Street @ Tokyo Station

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nanigans posted:

My trip to Tokyo is from October 5-12th, with the 5th and 12th being basically just arrival/departure days. I wanted some input on this very loose itinerary.

Skip Roppongi, you’re foreigners who don’t live here so there’s nothing really engaging there (unless you really want to see something at one of the art museums). Tsukiji Market has mostly moved to Toyosu, so do some digging and see if you really want to see the shops still at Tsukiji or the actual fish and produce sales which will be at the new location.

It’s also a lot to cover, so prioritize, map everything out, and try to see how spread out it might be.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

http://deathiam.com/blog/places-that-metalheads-should-visit-in-tokyo-japan/

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Lost my loving backpack on a train 2 hours before my flight home.

Any goons that can help me retrieve it, if the train staff possibly finds it at least 2 hours from now?

Not sure if they would release the bag or even find it but some minor hope is at least something.

loving bad note to end a vacation on.

At least everything is replaceable if just a little expensive.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm not in Tokyo but if they mail me the bag I'll fwd it to you. PMing you my addresses now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

double post lol

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Thanks for the offer this is just now a spirling fuckup, it was lost on the Toei asakusa/keiyu line to hanade airport (thought it would be easier to take one train direct to the airport, family didn't realise that the keiyu line has like 5 possible end points depending on the train so in the confusion of getting off to switch is when I lost my bag).

So not a jr rail line thus I don't think they can post it within japan, when I was talking to the keiyu rail staff finding out the chances of getting my bag they wanted the owner to I assume sign a declaration in person stating it was theirs.

Or I sign a form for a person by proxy to pick it up which is unfortunately all in Japanese that I can't read.

Probably be easiest if someone pretended to be me when picking it up.

Any Tokyo goons able to lend a hand? Still need to find out if they found it first though.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
don't lie to officials.

Just sign the japanese paperwork - you can literally sign it with anything and they wont care. You can even get us to translate for you.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Okay, looking at the timelines (and reading more about lost property) chances are it might end up at the local police lost and found after 3-4 days so out of the train stations hands, but I need to at least find which police prefecture it might end up at since it was a train from Tokyo to a possible ending of Yokohama.

The keikyu rail line authorization form for a 3rd party pickup.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Using the red example on the 2nd page:

(1) Current date, including the Heisei year of 31
(2) Relevant station name
(3) Your address, your Name in print, your signature, and contact information
(4) Select the left box.
(5) The Proxy's Address, Name, and Contact Information.

Your proxy will need to hand in the following info to the station office:

* The form.
* Proof identifying you specifically: A photocopy of your passport will definitely work, state drivers license would probably be ok.
* Your proxy will need to bring identification
* Lost/Found Item Pick up Notice/Documentation. If one does not exist, then the date that the item was lost/a detailed account of what was lost is acceptable.

PS: Except for the proof of you specifically, a Japanese resident can fill all the stuff out for you if you give the info to them.

PPS: I'm not in Japan so I can't help you otherwise.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Thanks for the help, just was a little tilted about 10 hours ago with the circumstances of loss. "Oh wrong train! Jump off now!" Happened so fast wasn't prepared to grab my bag and was tilted since I was trying to slow us down since we got lost at shimbashi station by walking the wrong way 2x and wanted to stop and reorient. Still know end of the day my fault for not grabbing it.

I might ask my cousin's wife's family if they could help me out. Have 3 months to get it if it ends up at a police lost and found, so not insane rush as I thought.

Just need to navigate the rail staff and where it could possibly end up with the police if it was turned in.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If it makes you feel any better, when I dropped my wallet with like ¥30,000 it was found and mailed it to my friend's father-in-law in Setagaya. The only thing missing was a Suica card that friend lent me because her name was on it and didn't match my ID, so they're probably going to mail it to her old address from when she was living in Japan. More stressful was my debit card getting cancelled so I got to survive on my pocket change until another awesome dude from here hooked me up with some cash.

Most stressful was probably falling down a mountain and navigating the Japanese health care system.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Me and my partner are in japan for about 3 weeks starting late april. Got most of it figured out, as we've both been before, but it will be our first time going to Sapporo. We'll be there for about 4 nights, would like recomended areas to stay in if any of you guys can help? Also cool stuff to see, with a preference for historic temples and modern cultural stuff (resteraunts and bars that aren't super touristy). Neither of us are very weeby but will consider nerdy stuff too.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

field balm posted:

Me and my partner are in japan for about 3 weeks starting late april. Got most of it figured out, as we've both been before, but it will be our first time going to Sapporo. We'll be there for about 4 nights, would like recomended areas to stay in if any of you guys can help? Also cool stuff to see, with a preference for historic temples and modern cultural stuff (resteraunts and bars that aren't super touristy). Neither of us are very weeby but will consider nerdy stuff too.

This might be completely uninteresting to a non-Swede, but there's a small town called Sweden Hills maybe 30 km from central Sapporo that looks like a stereotypical small Swedish town and has adopted a bunch of things from Swedish culture. I have not been there myself, but it might be interesting to just stop by if you're in the area and want to see something that's not as typically Japanese for an hour or two :shrug:
https://nordic.businessinsider.com/this-japanese-town-looks-exactly-like-a-swedish-village-2016-6/

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Bofast posted:

This might be completely uninteresting to a non-Swede, but there's a small town called Sweden Hills maybe 30 km from central Sapporo that looks like a stereotypical small Swedish town and has adopted a bunch of things from Swedish culture. I have not been there myself, but it might be interesting to just stop by if you're in the area and want to see something that's not as typically Japanese for an hour or two :shrug:
https://nordic.businessinsider.com/this-japanese-town-looks-exactly-like-a-swedish-village-2016-6/

Wasn't that the location that was built during the economic boom by some overambitious bloke that ended up being traded like a hot potato? I remember a series of really (darkly) illuminating articles written by some dude about the antiquated bits of Japan that covered it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

harperdc posted:

Skip Roppongi, you’re foreigners who don’t live here so there’s nothing really engaging there (unless you really want to see something at one of the art museums). Tsukiji Market has mostly moved to Toyosu, so do some digging and see if you really want to see the shops still at Tsukiji or the actual fish and produce sales which will be at the new location.

It’s also a lot to cover, so prioritize, map everything out, and try to see how spread out it might be.

Thanks! Yeah, we’ve been trying to prioritize what seems really important to us, and trimming the fat. I was just wondering if from that list of stuff there was anything glaring to remove.

I only wanted to go to Tsukiji for the food stalls anyway. Fish auctions don’t seem particularly interesting.

Good to know about Roppongi. That’s exactly the kind of advice I was seeking. Honestly, I fear we could spend a whole trip in the shops/arcades/restaurants, so I wanted to make sure I got some parks/culture in here.

.Z. posted:

Off the top of my head, for nerdy stuff I'd add:
-Nakano Broadway
-Character Street @ Tokyo Station

Added! Thanks!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

field balm posted:

Check out Otaru as a nice day trip from Sapporo

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Nanigans posted:

My trip to Tokyo is from October 5-12th, with the 5th and 12th being basically just arrival/departure days. I wanted some input on this very loose itinerary. I know there’s a big Chinese holiday that ends near the beginning of my trip, so I hope it won’t impact things too much.

Things in bold are kind of non-negotiable, unless there’s a really good reason to skip. I’m going with my wife and best friend. We’re all in our early 30s and are mostly interested in eating good food, anime/game culture, shopping for cool souvenirs and funky/hipsterish clothes, nature, and architecture.

I guess that’s a lot, but at least my friend and I are pretty big weebs, so we’re going to enjoy it all. None of us are big drinkers, but we’ll happily partake now and then. I also have a lot of parks on here. Obviously if there’s one or two you all think are heads above the rest, we’ll go there since I know my list is pretty long.

Our AirBnB is in Sugamo which seems firmly in the central North part of Tokyo, so I tried to plan our days in terms of West/East Tokyo to avoid too much travel time.

Day 1-3 Sunday-Tuesday: West-side – Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku

- Sunshine City
- Jujo Ginza
- Shinjuku Gyoen Park
- Godz Bar (a heavy metal bar my friend wants to visit
- Mikado

- Omoide Yokucho
- Kabukicho
- Kichijoji
- Inokashira Park
- Tatemonoen
- Kagurazaka – We watched a video on this area and it looks too cool to miss
- Scramble crossing
- Okushibu
- Don Quixote
- Nakameguro
- Katsu Midori sushi
- Shimokitazawa – My wife is really interested in all of the vintage clothes here
- Yoyogi Park
- Meiji Jingu
- Togo shrine

Day 4-6 Wednesday – Friday: East-side – Ueno, Akihabara, Tokyo, Roppongi, Shimabashi, Asakusa, Akasaka, Odaiba

- Ueno Park
- Ginza Uniqlo
- Sega arcade
- Super Potato
- Imperial Palace – Wife wants to book a tour of the inner garden
- Tsukiji fish market
- Sensoji and Nakamise temple
- Tokyo Skytree
- Hie Shrine
- Joypolis
- TeamLabs Planets

Again, any input is welcome. I’m not crazy enough to think I’m going to hit every single thing on this list or not get distracted by something cool every two minutes. I just wanted y’all’s thoughts on what’s a “must-do”.

God, I want to get so fat in Tokyo.

If you want to see the fish market you have to get up and get there really loving early, so be prepared for that. on the positive side the sushi in the the restaurants next to it is the freshest I've ever had.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nanigans posted:

There's a cafe in Ginza that John Lennon and Yoko Ono used to go to when they were in Tokyo. They've got a photo of them up and such. You might like checking it out?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nanigans posted:

I only wanted to go to Tsukiji for the food stalls anyway. Fish auctions don’t seem particularly interesting.

Would still recommend checking online because there are a lot of restaurants now at the Toyosu location and I’d heard most have moved over from Tsukiji.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

harperdc posted:

Would still recommend checking online because there are a lot of restaurants now at the Toyosu location and I’d heard most have moved over from Tsukiji.

Toyosu is more of a detour than Tsukiji.

As a relative novice to Japanese food outside of mom n pop sushi places in the U.S., would either market really be squandered on me in comparison to hitting up other street food stops and restaurants along the way to my other destinations? I've seen videos and it the outer Tsukiji market looked awesome, so I'm wondering if Toyosu is worth saving a spot during the trip.

Thanks again for all the help again, btw

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Toyosu fish market is kinda meh.

The restaurants there serve decent sushi but only go early in the morning because it’s not worth waiting over 15 min

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Save yourself some grief and just go to a Sushi Zanmai.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
^

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The best Japanese foods are more than sushi. Have fun and eat all the foods.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

MY WAIFU and I are going to Japan for vacation from March 24-April 7. First 5 days in Hiroshima (where she's from), a couple of days in Kyoto, then the rest in Tokyo. She's from there but it's been 20 years, and so have I, so I don't really need the typical "what the heck to do" recommendations, but if there's anything special going on around those areas in that time, I'd like to hear about it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Doctor Zero posted:

MY WAIFU and I are going to Japan for vacation from March 24-April 7. First 5 days in Hiroshima (where she's from), a couple of days in Kyoto, then the rest in Tokyo. She's from there but it's been 20 years, and so have I, so I don't really need the typical "what the heck to do" recommendations, but if there's anything special going on around those areas in that time, I'd like to hear about it.

Gonna be prime cherry blossom season so just do that the whole time imo.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Stringent posted:

Gonna be prime cherry blossom season so just do that the whole time imo.

Yeah, I'm super excited. That's one thing I've always wanted to see but have never been there at the right time.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, I'm super excited. That's one thing I've always wanted to see but have never been there at the right time.

Words can't overstate it. It's my second favorite part of living in Japan.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

field balm posted:

Went to Sapporo a couple months ago and it ruled here is the post I wrote about it when another person asked what to do/eat.

For where to stay, Sapporo seems to have a lot less subways/rail than your Osakas and Kyotos and Tokyos so I'd take a look at a map stay somewhere either near the central train station, near the Hakodate line, or on one of the subway lines. I stayed in an area called Kotoni which was pretty accessible and nice.

Magna Kaser posted:

Don't worry about not having a to-the-minute itinerary like a lot of dorks going to Japan have.

that said, I just was in Hokkaido last month and have a couple tips for you which you can take at your own discretion since I'm a big goon who basically only likes to eat food and walk around cities and look at random things when I go places and you might want to do other things:

1. imo Otaru does not have a lot going on besides super good sushi for really reasonable prices. the canal is like whatever? I dunno. It was nice little town and snowy when I was there so walking around was nice, but it was a little town in the end. i admit i missed he aquarium, maybe that is cool.

you should plan time for sushi if you want to as well since most of them will have lineups. i went to this place called Masazushi and it was v good and only had a short line (I got there at like 11am and there was a huge lineup by the time I left). You'll see a lot recs for another place called Isezushi which is either booked months in advance or you can just walk in on, depending which reviews you trust, so you could also try your hand there.

But actually the best thing I ate in Otaru was this bowl of a lot of crab right in one of the very small (even by japan standards) restaurants by the canal called Sawasakisuisan Kaisenshokudo.

2. go to the yoichi distillery. this was the best one of these I've been to in japan cuz it's basically a place you show up to and drink whiskey. the tour, the whiskey sampler, etc... are all free and then you can just wander around the grounds. also they have v good whiskey if that's a thing you like!!! it's like a 20m trainride from otaru as well. what i did was go to otaru in the mid morning -> wander around, eat -> go to yoichi -> wander around, drink -> back to otaru -> more wandering, more eating -> back to sapporo in the evening. the whole thing will probably be like 90min tops (the distillery is like a 2min walk from the yoichi train station) including transit unless you get stuck waiting for trains so plan around those if you want.

also fun fact: the train was full of white people with tons of ski gear going to some aussie run ski place past yoichi so weirdly that train from otaru to yoichi was probably the most crowded train i've ever been on in japan which was v unexpected for me!

3. here are just some suggestions for places to eat in Sapporo. Sapporo is like one of the best food cities I have ever been in and everything rules, but cuz it's good and in japan this normally involves some queuing depending on time of day and what place. some places I liked:

Suage Soup Curry - this place is really really good. I ate here twice. I went at sort of weird times in the afternoon around 1:30 and there was no lineup, but im guessing if you go like 11-12 or at night it'll be bad.

soup curry GARAKU - this one had longer lines and better reviews on most sites I found, but I liked Suage more. It was still fine tho.the cheese rice was good.

Sapporo ramen republic - this place has like 9? 11? super duper good ramen places. I ate at different shops here a few times, all were good.

this lamb place, DARUMA - Sapporo apparently really likes grilled lamb. I forget why I chose this place but it was really amazing lamb. Staff was great, a drunk salaryman who spoke decent English was extremely friendly and wanted to share which lamb was best, etc... this kind of place is also cool cuz you cook it yourself a la korean bbq.

DONT eat at the Sapporo beer garden. it seemed v ovepriced and had a huge wait when I checked it out. The beer museum and sampling areas themselves are great tho and is already on your itinerary so just stuck to that. The beer garden restaurant is sort of attached but not part of that whole package.

Anyway these are just some quick recommendations! enjoy your trip and hokkaido is the best.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

harperdc posted:

• Don't stay in capsule hotels, they are a bad gimmick (or for the drunk/missed-last-train set), especially your first night coming off an overseas flight. you will be exhausted and not sure what time it is at all.
  • Suica is just like the Metro card in NYC or the Oyster in London, it's a way to put a cash balance on a chip-powered card so you can just touch that instead of buying a new paper ticket every time. There are ways to use those on Shinkansen, but your best bet other than the JR pass is to go to the ticket office at a bigger station and purchase specific tickets there.
  • cherry blossoms would be done in May, but it's still spring and beautiful, you'll be fine. (The cherry blossom season is creeping earlier and earlier due to climate change)
  • Buying a new suitcase and sending it home? Should be able to arrange shipment from a Post Office before you leave. Be sure to budget for that.
  • Customs and security is an enormous pain in the rear end...in the United States. You will hate the fact that, after your 11+ hour flight from Japan, you have to take your shoes and belt off and go through security again. But in Japan, no, there's no issues. Just be sure to do the landing/departure forms.
  • If it's a friend/colleague who's Japanese, the gifts that are usually given/received are either personal (something they'd understand and appreciate) or foods/snacks from your hometown (eg chocolates from a local company, etc.) Do some research on "omiyage" and find the closest small, packaged equivalent.

As for recommendations?

• Go to places high in tourist quantity on weekdays if you can, if you want to see Akihabara it's probably better on a Tuesday than on a Saturday.
  • Prepare to walk, even in Tokyo with the train and subway system as thorough as it is. 5+ miles a day is entirely possible. Pack and dress accordingly.
  • May will be a great time to visit -- temperatures into the 70s Fahrenheit, but lower humidity. Bring light jackets, unless the forecast says it'll be cooler than that leading up to your trip.
  • Whatever you're into, Tokyo has two of them. It's an enormous city, and just a bit of searching (or asking) will lead you the right way.
  • Stay near a Yamanote Line station -- Ueno, Tokyo, Shinagawa, Shinjuku. Those are the transit hubs, and you'll have a much better time transiting through there. As well, the days you're thinking of going to Osaka/Kyoto by bullet train, the only stations heading that way in Tokyo are Tokyo and Shinagawa Station. Staying near there might be smart to help make your morning shorter!

Awesome, this is really helpful.

Do I need two Suica cards, one for each of us, or is one fine to tap for both of us? And is a JR Pass Green worth the extra $$$? I think we are planning on staying close to the Tokyo Station, as well, to keep things simple. I think we're probably going to go with just a sento instead of a traditional onsen, as those seem to be a bit of an excursion away from Tokyo and like you said, I'm sure we'll be tired from the flight. Soaking in some hot/mineral/electrified water sounds fine where ever we end up, haha. We booked ryokan inns in Osaka and Kyoto, so we've got that covered.

I think we're going to nix the capsule hotel, as well. Maybe the last night we're in Tokyo just so we can get up and catch a really early shinkansen to Osaka. Speaking of the shinkansen, is that the best way to get to the Studio Ghibli museum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Johnny Truant posted:

Awesome, this is really helpful.

Do I need two Suica cards, one for each of us, or is one fine to tap for both of us? And is a JR Pass Green worth the extra $$$? I think we are planning on staying close to the Tokyo Station, as well, to keep things simple. I think we're probably going to go with just a sento instead of a traditional onsen, as those seem to be a bit of an excursion away from Tokyo and like you said, I'm sure we'll be tired from the flight. Soaking in some hot/mineral/electrified water sounds fine where ever we end up, haha. We booked ryokan inns in Osaka and Kyoto, so we've got that covered.

I think we're going to nix the capsule hotel, as well. Maybe the last night we're in Tokyo just so we can get up and catch a really early shinkansen to Osaka. Speaking of the shinkansen, is that the best way to get to the Studio Ghibli museum?

The JR rail pass is basically for trains in-between cities, which is what the shinkansen runs between. So within Tokyo you practically can't use it for much, but going from Tokyo to Kyoto or Kyoto to Osaka works. (you can also use a suica/pasmo/whatever metro card to go between Kyoto and Osaka but its a bit more roundabout and slower I think.)

You will need 1 suica card per person as they can only calculate 1 trip at a time, since you tap in at one gate and have to tap out at another gate. (its not a flat fare rate but is based on distances and whoever runs the lines)

The Studio ghibli museum is a regular train and then a short bus ride, no shinkansen necessary. Also I presume you already prepurchased your tickets as they don't sell them at the door.