Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
I lusted after a Golf GTD Kombi when I lived in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm looking for info on Hyundai Ioniq facelift. Probably out of my budget anyway, but Google isn't helping certainly:

Found something and it appears they're going to stick the iPad on top of the Dash like other manufacturers. Don't know if I like that. Comparison below.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 16, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lord Stimperor posted:

Found something and it appears they're going to stick the iPad on top of the Dash like other manufacturers. Don't know if I like that.

I know: I loving hate it. Why do they do this?

"Hey I know let's have a giant fuckoff screen sticking up in the middle of goddamn nowhere, that's an excellent design!"

If you already have a touchscreen integrated nicely into the dash, it's doubly stupid because the one acceptable reason for just having it jutting up is running out of room in a previously-designed cockpit.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It looks like they also swapped out buttons for capacitive touch buttons, possibly some of the knobs too. Complete garbage.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

PT6A posted:

"Hey I know let's have a giant fuckoff screen sticking up in the middle of goddamn nowhere, that's an excellent design!"

If you already have a touchscreen integrated nicely into the dash, it's doubly stupid because the one acceptable reason for just having it jutting up is running out of room in a previously-designed cockpit.

It makes it easier to upgrade and replace components without having to make significant changes on the production line. It's why Mazda did it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

PT6A posted:

Because it's a simple way to raise the screen as high as possible so the driver can use it without taking his eyes too far from the road.

I really hated the iPad design at first, and I still think a nicely integrated screen looks better, but after living with it in my Mazda it really does make a difference for safety.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Also making it stick up allows for a larger screen and bigger screens impress lay people (see: Tesla)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Q_res posted:

It makes it easier to upgrade and replace components without having to make significant changes on the production line. It's why Mazda did it.

Well Mazda at least put some effort into it, there it seems to flow out of the dash:

But sometimes it's bizarre. Within the VW corp, VW is supposed to be the plebeian brand and Audi the upscale one. So let's look how VW and Audi do the screens in their Golf and A3 models, which are equivalent in almost everything but panels and decoration:

I mean VW interiors are often seen as bland, but at least it's clean and functional. The supposedly posher one is considerably more tacky. Maybe that's the result of focus group testing or something.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

How much does it affect the HVAC system when vents are resized? The new ones don't seem that much smaller, but I'm sure comfort was an afterthought here.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

kimbo305 posted:

How much does it affect the HVAC system when vents are resized? The new ones don't seem that much smaller, but I'm sure comfort was an afterthought here.

Wouldn't know. New one comes out sometime in the second half of 2019. Will take a sit in it. Maybe there'll be some deals on low mileage pre-facelift second hand ones in the winter.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lord Stimperor posted:

Well Mazda at least put some effort into it, there it seems to flow out of the dash:

But sometimes it's bizarre. Within the VW corp, VW is supposed to be the plebeian brand and Audi the upscale one. So let's look how VW and Audi do the screens in their Golf and A3 models, which are equivalent in almost everything but panels and decoration:

I mean VW interiors are often seen as bland, but at least it's clean and functional. The supposedly posher one is considerably more tacky. Maybe that's the result of focus group testing or something.

I would much rather sit in that Audi

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The screen on that Audi looks to be about an inch bigger, and that's why it's up there rather than in the center stack.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

bull3964 posted:

The screen on that Audi looks to be about an inch bigger, and that's why it's up there rather than in the center stack.

Looks like it just has a bigger bezel to me, actually, truth be told, I think it looks a little smaller than the VW. I am a little surprised the A3 doesn't look nicer but I think that may be a low spec one, other than the piano black trim in the VW I think it does look better, the instrument panel and door panel in particular, I don't even mind the pop-up touch screens but those giant nipple vents are a bit ridiculous on the Audi and the giant expanse of flat grey plastic around them isn't helping.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Maybe I'm weird but the *3 looks terrible, I would much rather have that VW or the mazda. All the fake entry level german car (A3, CLA, whatever) interiors look cheap as hell.

e: even the RS3 sucks. The materials are a little nicer but it's still plasticy and has those stupid big round vents. Terrible

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My mother just bought a Buick Encore and it's... not bad? It's a fugly little people-pod but very comfy inside. The little 1.4T engine seems all right.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of Buick, the Tour X wagon looks pretty sharp. I was riding behind one today and couldn't believe I was admiring a Buick.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

Speaking of Buick, the Tour X wagon looks pretty sharp. I was riding behind one today and couldn't believe I was admiring a Buick.

If it makes you feel better, you were actually admiring an Opel

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Infinotize posted:

Maybe I'm weird but the *3 looks terrible, I would much rather have that VW or the mazda. All the fake entry level german car (A3, CLA, whatever) interiors look cheap as hell.

e: even the RS3 sucks. The materials are a little nicer but it's still plasticy and has those stupid big round vents. Terrible

Yeah, I tried the Golf R and the Audi equivalent (S3?) before I bought, and the VW was way more appealing to me on the inside. Perhaps it's just a matter of taste?

EDIT: Am I high or didn't they used to make a hatchback A3? I can't find it on the website anymore.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 17, 2019

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FuturePastNow posted:

My mother just bought a Buick Encore and it's... not bad? It's a fugly little people-pod but very comfy inside. The little 1.4T engine seems all right.

Looks kinda like an overgrown golf cart, which fits in perfectly with the well-heeled oldsters, I guess.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I tried the Golf R and the Audi equivalent (S3?) before I bought, and the VW was way more appealing to me on the inside. Perhaps it's just a matter of taste?

EDIT: Am I high or didn't they used to make a hatchback A3? I can't find it on the website anymore.

Try Audi.de

There is a range of VW cars were the sedan variants are only available in the US and conversely not every hatch is available outside of EU, different customer preference and all that

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

PT6A posted:

They did (Mk5 VW equivalent iirc), but I don't think it comes to the US any more.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Are there any gotchas with late model Golf IVs? I'm a poor and can't afford much else, they look nice and do what I want and the build quality seems OK.

The mark 4 is where a lot of VW’s reputation for unreliability comes from.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Residency Evil posted:

They did (Mk5 VW equivalent iirc), but I don't think it comes to the US any more.

There was the e-tron PHEV variant but it ended in the fall, in Europe too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

the pre-refresh was outrageously ugly, the post refresh actually looks OK from some angles

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

Try Audi.de

There is a range of VW cars were the sedan variants are only available in the US and conversely not every hatch is available outside of EU, different customer preference and all that

How can consumer preference on one hand be for crossovers, yet also for sedans over hatchbacks? :psyduck:

You've got some 'splainin to do, America.

Either that or car companies haven't stumbled upon the holy grail of American automotive design: a ridiculously lifted sedan.

...and just as I typed that, I figured out why SUPER ULTRA DOUBLE MEGA FISTFUCK CAB trucks exist.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Infinotize posted:

100% this. The jump in interior quality between the A3/Q3 and A4/A5/Q5 is huge.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

PT6A posted:

How can consumer preference on one hand be for crossovers, yet also for sedans over hatchbacks? :psyduck:

You've got some 'splainin to do, America.

Either that or car companies haven't stumbled upon the holy grail of American automotive design: a ridiculously lifted sedan.

...and just as I typed that, I figured out why SUPER ULTRA DOUBLE MEGA FISTFUCK CAB trucks exist.

Some of them do, but it's mostly because the CAFE laws lobbied into existence by GM and Ford essentially made certain types of vehicles, like wagons and small trucks, illegal.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Those laws affected wagons?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

Those laws affected wagons?

Yes, 1) the footprint calculation makes them less competitive against similar cars, because wagons tend to get a small fuel penalty vs sedans for both weight and aero reasons, and 2) true wagons are at a huge disadvantage vs slightly raised wagons with plastic cladding and AWD which count as "light trucks". e.g. Toyota puts different, less efficient skirts and body panels on cars like the Lexus NX than they do in other markets in order to qualify them as "light trucks" under US regulations. So the Volvo Cross Country models are much more attractive to Volvo than their true wagons.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The US CAFE rules originally had a “flat load floor” exemption for light trucks, which meant that things like the PT Cruiser were classified as light trucks for CAFE purposes. That particular rule has since been changed, but it was a big factor in influencing peoples’ taste towards SUV shaped vehicles.

Now a station wagon type vehicle must have a standard third-row seat to qualify as a truck (Lol what the gently caress,) which roughly zero station wagons have anymore. Instead, the automakers put a bit of a lift on it, call it “off-road ground clearance,” and viola, it’s a light truck.

Bring back the Caprice/Roadmaster rear-facing third row!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrYenko posted:

The US CAFE rules originally had a “flat load floor” exemption for light trucks, which meant that things like the PT Cruiser were classified as light trucks for CAFE purposes. That particular rule has since been changed, but it was a big factor in influencing peoples’ taste towards SUV shaped vehicles.

Now a station wagon type vehicle must have a standard third-row seat to qualify as a truck (Lol what the gently caress,) which roughly zero station wagons have anymore. Instead, the automakers put a bit of a lift on it, call it “off-road ground clearance,” and viola, it’s a light truck.

Bring back the Caprice/Roadmaster rear-facing third row!

its dumb, just make it a straight up tax on displacement or fuel economy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CAFE is well-intentioned but yeah, just put all that poo poo in to a gas tax and a gas guzzler tax on purchase.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Making a law that says "manufacturers have to make vehicles more fuel efficient, but the least efficient categories of vehicles are exempt" is goddamned stupid. In a sane country, you'd need a special license to own and drive a vehicle the size of an f350 or a suburban and have to pay a huge gas guzzler tax. But that will never fly here cause :911:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

CAFE is well-intentioned but yeah, just put all that poo poo in to a gas tax and a gas guzzler tax on purchase.

Well intentioned to keep GM and Ford printing money. When the last review came up under Obama the carmakers that don't make trucks like Mazda and Kia and VW were vocally opposed to it for the above reasons. What does it say when your proposed new " fuel economy " regulations were written by Ford and GM and opposed by Mazda?

Eventually I think everyone caved except VW kept fighting it until it was revealed that VW are a bunch of liars about a lot of unrelated things that shut them up.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

KillHour posted:

Making a law that says "manufacturers have to make vehicles more fuel efficient, but the least efficient categories of vehicles are exempt" is goddamned stupid. In a sane country, you'd need a special license to own and drive a vehicle the size of an f350 or a suburban and have to pay a huge gas guzzler tax. But that will never fly here cause :911:

CDLs for them thanks in advance

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

What does it say when your proposed new " fuel economy " regulations were written by Ford and GM and opposed by Mazda?

It says that Mazda knows they have the edge under what they want? It's the same reason Costco supports increasing the minimum wage. Not because it's good for employees but because their main competition wouldn't do well with it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BraveUlysses posted:

its dumb, just make it a straight up tax on displacement or fuel economy

A sane (and exponential) GVWR-based registration tax combined with a gas and diesel tax would be a great replacement, but there is zero chance of that happening, and less than zero of it happening in conjunction with repeal of CAFE. We’d just get another layer of taxation instead.

Fuel economy (and gas guzzler, see GM CAGS) taxes just encourage gaming the test. Manufacturers should be obligated to publish the BSFC for each powertrain option, along with a speed/burn table on the window sticker for the specific combination being sold, instead of the nearly-meaningless MPG number.

This would also require the average car buyer to have an IQ above room temperature, so I know I’m never getting what I want.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Agreed, when I say "Gas guzzler tax" I am not advocating for current state, just some sort of tax on consumption. Plus, GVWR correlates to cost to the public based on road wear and tear, so that's good too!

I'm fine having an MPG number, I think it's a handy baseline and it has to be something that works for the lowest common denominator of consumption - I just think they should restructure the test to be more reflective of modern driving.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

fknlo posted:

It says that Mazda knows they have the edge under what they want? It's the same reason Costco supports increasing the minimum wage. Not because it's good for employees but because their main competition wouldn't do well with it.

Mazda is a maker of generally fuel efficient small cars, that's their edge. The other two have the edge in making huge chrome 16mpg oxcarts. Would have thought that was common knowledge in this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Ford makes those sort of cars too even if they can't sell them in the USA.

Also while a CX-9 may be relatively efficienct for its size it's still a huge whale of a vehicle.