Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

exquisite tea posted:

After Anthem it's difficult to say what exactly Bioware is good at anymore.
Selling crap to people with highly selective memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Having an explosive shotgun and a sniper rifle would get you about 500x the damage of the mako before long.
It was also the only reliable way to (incredibly slowly) kill those big tripod bastards on higher difficulties.

Pistol did more damage than either of those weapons.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
This game deserves to die by its (lack of) merits, not by misinformation from youtubers paid for sensationalist videos

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

exquisite tea posted:

I am honestly impressed in a way. I thought that after Andromeda there would be no way Bioware could fail as hard with Anthem, that too much time and effort would be put into this game's experience even if the final result was a bland but polished product. Boy was I wrong!

I remember being mad when Andromeda flopped bc I thought BioWare pulled all their talent from ME to make their new franchise amazing. Now I’m just confused and disappointed.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
im still probably going to buy and play dragon age 4 when it comes out, and i have no one but myself to blame for this probably bad decision

i want my fantasy shlock and as long as da4 is at least on the level of inquisition i will forgive a lot

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kaysette posted:

I remember being mad when Andromeda flopped bc I thought BioWare pulled all their talent from ME to make their new franchise amazing. Now I’m just confused and disappointed.

Dragon Age 2 was the first real sign that something was amiss internally. You can probably blame that one on EA giving them a ridiculously short turnaround time, but other releases are a lot less explicable. I think they simultaneously expanded too rapidly and bled too much talent for a variety of reasons, and the result was these massive titles being developed by relatively new offices without the necessary veterans to guide them through production (combined with what was probably a ridiculously complex corporate structure).

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol there's an inscription that gives you super if you're critically injured, seems like the only good universal inscription

https://i.imgur.com/B2BKdVi.gifv

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

RottenK posted:

im still probably going to buy and play dragon age 4 when it comes out, and i have no one but myself to blame for this probably bad decision

i want my fantasy shlock and as long as da4 is at least on the level of inquisition i will forgive a lot

If.

IF.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Vermain posted:

Dragon Age 2 was the first real sign that something was amiss internally. You can probably blame that one on EA giving them a ridiculously short turnaround time, but other releases are a lot less explicable. I think they simultaneously expanded too rapidly and bled too much talent for a variety of reasons, and the result was these massive titles being developed by relatively new offices without the necessary veterans to guide them through production (combined with what was probably a ridiculously complex corporate structure).

I think you're right - though it sends me back to the first NWN. If you play the OG campaign, it's just awful. The project had started as 1) the first 3d (what people in 2001 called a 'rendered in polygons' game :corsair:) but somebody - maybe Atari said "CLONE DIABLO 2" ignoring that third ed. DnD is not really a system for that, and setting aside the narrative aspect one major strength of all the infinity engine games was the parties you could create, which created lots of replayability and tactical options. Making one character being able to do everything meant that the variety in combat and its challenge had to be removed. So regardless of your class, you end up murdering bear herds (BEARS DO NOT HERD GODDAMNIT) for tiny amounts of xp. I think this whole experience, ironically, caused Bioware decided to develop its own IPs, so that owners of existing franchises couldn't dictate product to them. That decision resulted in Mass Effect and Dragon Age, and when some stock analysts started making noise about the video game market stagnating and only producing sequals, EA bought out Bioware and their hot new series, Mass Effect.

I also sorta think that Anthem was the result of somebody doing a postmortem of ME3 and saying: "people like this ship/the Citadel, which is home, and this universe out there to have adventures in, so let's do a concentrated version of that." It's certainly what came to mine when I read Video Game Article's takedown of Anthem.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
hey so did they tweet congratulating Massive on Div2 yet?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

hey so did they tweet congratulating Massive on Div2 yet?

they did the next best thing: sabotaged their game so people would flock to Div2 instead

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

That doesn’t count.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Why does it not surprise me the Div2 devs went for the bullet sponge class :v:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

exquisite tea posted:

After Anthem it's difficult to say what exactly Bioware is good at anymore.

Actually it’s easy

Nothing lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Dragon Age 4 is still gonna happen. Inquisition did quite well. They have followed a bomb with a success before so maybe it's possible.

DA has a massive fan base who will buy the game sight unseen and since "big western RPG" is still a genre without too many entries, all they have to do is make sure it doesn't suck horribly

Lmao

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

I think Dragon Age 4 is still gonna happen. Inquisition did quite well. They have followed a bomb with a success before so maybe it's possible.

DA has a massive fan base who will buy the game sight unseen and since "big western RPG" is still a genre without too many entries, all they have to do is make sure it doesn't suck horribly

Lmao

Don’t underestimate EA’s ability to shoot themselves, or their developers, in the foot.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
EA Bioware, desperate to hit sales targets: "You can now romance every single named NPC in Dragon Age 4 in addition to your party members"

"Also nude sex mature romance scenes are fully integrated and behind an additional paywall. To protect the children of course."

Lets face it what remains of their DA fanbase doesn't give a poo poo about game play, they only want husbandos and waifus while living out a mary sue power fantasy.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

DancingShade posted:

Lets face it what remains of their DA fanbase doesn't give a poo poo about game play, they only want husbandos and waifus while living out a mary sue power fantasy.

I'm honestly surprised EA hasn't capitalized on this market by making Bioware create DA/ME dating simulators. But I imagine they would manage to gently caress up the flag system.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
A DA game as a service with increasing numbers of people to date/have sex with. All the thrills bit none of the stank of a anime visual novel.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
The overarching plots have consistently been the worst part of Bioware games these last few years, so just cutting them out should indeed work

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
honestly the fact that Anthem doesn't have anyone to romance is a bit surprising, it gets you a cadre of insanely loyal fans who'll buy all the DLC and defend the game to the death

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pattonesque posted:

honestly the fact that Anthem doesn't have anyone to romance is a bit surprising, it gets you a cadre of insanely loyal fans who'll buy all the DLC and defend the game to the death

I guess it's because in Bioware games (almost) all romances are party members that you travel and fight with. But in Anthem all the traveling and fighting buddies are other players.

Wait... I've got an idea!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Cypher wanna be pilot could've been a romance option, also asberger cop.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

I guess it's because in Bioware games (almost) all romances are party members that you travel and fight with. But in Anthem all the traveling and fighting buddies are other players.

Wait... I've got an idea!

Is it romancing your robot suit AI? Because that was mine.

HOT INTIMATE scenes of whatever passed for sex with a talking robot suit. I assume it's basically a maintenance ritual of oil change & joint lubrication with suggestive music playing. Slowly brushing a static free brush over a circuit board, mmmm yeah baby.

"Did you romance suit AI X45/Y673? I romanced suit AI J-67/Q241."

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Pattonesque posted:

let me gently caress haluk you cowards

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Div2launchwatch: still no congrats tweet....

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
If you wouldn't romance your Interceptor you have no concept of true beauty.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Div2launchwatch: still no congrats tweet....

Perhaps the social media people at Bioware are too busy trying to balance the loot and scaling system?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pattonesque posted:

I think it's more surprising the game is bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"When the game ends, there will be nothing left but bone and ash"
"Then we shall gently caress the bones"

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Siljmonster posted:

I think it's more surprising the game is bad.

I don't think it's particularly surprising that the game is bad, based on the recent track record of Bioware. It's more disappointing and sadly predictable.

I don't blame the gruntwork developers for this but I do blame the higher devs and management, and I'm glad this game is causing such a stink because the less AAA-financed studios are encouraged to release games in this kind of shape, the better.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What's frustrating is that the game clearly has a lot of love put into it and if it weren't corporatized to death it would have been much better

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

precision posted:

What's frustrating is that the game clearly has a lot of love put into it and if it weren't corporatized to death it would have been much better

Uh lol
No

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

precision posted:

It's frustrating until you realize that there's hundreds of games out there that also have a ton of love and blood and sweat put into them and they also don't actively hate you so you can give them credit for it while also enjoying them.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

precision posted:

:wrong:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Finally had it happen, got the 'PS4 Pro spontaneously shuts off' bug. I'm not touching the game again until they specifically patch this problem.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I’ve given up and have asked for a refund, even if they fix the bugs there’s not much of a game. Let’s see if Microsoft accept screenshots of the devs saying “that’s an unintended bug and we are working on it” as proof it’s broken

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
If anything the terrible bugs (brick a console lol) have distracted from the larger sin of creating a sci fi shooter that has 3 indistinguishable guns in each generic modern day class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Kilometres Davis posted:

If anything the terrible bugs (brick a console lol) have distracted from the larger sin of creating a sci fi shooter that has 3 indistinguishable guns in each generic modern day class.

they had this same issue in Andromeda -- given an entirely new galaxy to play with, they made TWO desert planets. Like, both deserts, but one is a sand desert and one is more of a mesa desert.

oh and there was one planet where the foliage was blue. whatever