Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Shaocaholica posted:

So what you're saying is that its not impossible for Tom Cruise and Ving Rhames to walk into the facility wearing overalls and hack the poo poo out of that dam before it explodes.

Physical infiltration of important facilities isn't some movie grade fantasy, it's a real world concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Look like you're supposed to be there, and you'll be amazed at how easily you can get into places you shouldn't without anyone batting an eye.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

ltugo posted:

Ving Rhames was in the truck. It was Tom and Jean Reno who hacked the CIA.

Exhaust from the truck started the brushfire

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
*Mission Impossible music plays*

*Tom Cruise casually walks into an unlocked side door*

*Walks past six people and goes into the head engineer’s cubicle and turns over the keyboard revealing a post-it note with “password = Password123” written on it.

*Places a finger to ear*

“I’m in...”

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Yeah that's basically how it would happen irl :shrug:

I do this stuff for a living specifically for critical infrastructure

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Actual leaked CIA examples of electrical grid sabotage is pretty clear that low-tech stuff like throwing chains on power lines is a better route. More reliable, cheaper, and hard for anyone to prove until ten years later when some whistle-blower dumps a bunch of documents. Not that "defense" and "intelligence" orgs aren't suckers for aesthetics who will pour fifty million dollars into hi-tech boondoggles because they like the sound of it, or set up pointlessly byzantine schemes because they all think they're Otto van Suntzu-Machiavelli come again.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What other world leaders are calling out the NZ attacks explicitly like this?

https://twitter.com/maduro_en/statu...ingawful.com%2F

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Noted tankie outlet

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/...ingawful.com%2F

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

brugroffil posted:

https://twitter.com/maduro_en/statu...ingawful.com%2F

That really means a lot coming from such a moral man like maduro.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

brugroffil posted:

Noted tankie outlet]
Noted complete bullshit outlet. Military Times is a tabloid.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

patonthebach posted:

That really means a lot coming from such a moral man like maduro.

Yeah shows you how low the bar is, and how seemingly everyone else isn't clearing it??

Anyway

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Oh my God this guy makes Tom Clancy look like Homer. Read the synopsis of his book on Amazon. I'd link it if I wasn't phone posting. It's fuckin gold.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Please stop making me parse Johnson's hosed up dishonest tweets. I think this is the third or fourth time. He's selectively quoting the Military Times, which is itself selectively quoting Fulton Armstrong, who starts by saying that the US is trying to get the military to overthrow Maduro, and that the quoted action is a farfetched idea that someone like Bolton might propose. I can't get full context for the Armstrong quotes because the MT doesn't contextualize the quotes in full. But I don't have to to be able to tell that Johnson is full of poo poo.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 15, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

brugroffil posted:

https://twitter.com/MaithripalaS/status/1106636025151934464

https://twitter.com/theresa_may/status/1106593184396787712

i assume you mean specifically him using the words "white supremacy"

also i was ready to lol at Modi not responding but he did send a boilerplate condolence, he just didn't post it on Twitter, The Platform Of Choice For World Leaders

quote:

BEIJING, March 15 (Xinhua) -- Chinese President Xi Jinping sent a message of condolence to New Zealand Governor-General Patsy Reddy on Friday over the deadly shooting incidents earlier Friday in New Zealand's Christchurch City.

In his message, Xi said he was shocked to learn about the serious shooting incidents which have caused heavy casualties.

On behalf of the Chinese government, the Chinese people and in his own name, Xi expressed deep sympathy with and sincere condolences to the New Zealand government and the New Zealand people, while expressing grief for the victims and wishing the injured an early recovery.

Also on Friday, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang sent a message of condolence to New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, expressing grief for the victims while extending sincere sympathies to the injured and the bereaved families.

tbf, if I had to guess Maduro's response, it'd look something like it did

he has a history of and extremely strong interest in painting his opponents as racist scumbags and he in particular and chavismo in general make a point of supporting racial minorities unless they're indigenous Venezuelans that state corporations find inconvenient

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

https://twitter.com/MaithripalaS/status/1106636025151934464

https://twitter.com/theresa_may/status/1106593184396787712

i assume you mean specifically him using the words "white supremacy"

also i was ready to lol at Modi not responding but he did send a boilerplate condolence, he just didn't post it on Twitter, The Platform Of Choice For World Leaders

tbf, if I had to guess Maduro's response, it'd look something like it did

he has a history of and extremely strong interest in painting his opponents as racist scumbags and he in particular and chavismo in general make a point of supporting racial minorities unless they're indigenous Venezuelans that state corporations find inconvenient

Yeah, straight condemnation of right wing white terrorism without both sides/"we condemn all bad things"

Both of the ones you posted fall short of that easy standard

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

brugroffil posted:

Yeah shows you how low the bar is, and how seemingly everyone else isn't clearing it??

Anyway

It's amazing how we keep saying the quiet part loud, this may be the dumbest coup in the modern age

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

brugroffil posted:

Yeah, straight condemnation of right wing white terrorism without both sides/"we condemn all bad things"

Both of the ones you posted fall short of that easy standard

sirisena's one is particularly (darkly) funny because he is probably in the process of selling his soul (back) to Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa, who is a very interesting former overlord but his relevance to this exact moment in this exact topic is that he's currently allied with the very, very worst sri lankan buddhist-supremacist shitbags

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

It's amazing how we keep saying the quiet part loud, this may be the dumbest coup in the modern age

say that poo poo as loud as possible is a core part of the Trump administration Venezuela strategy. The point is to tell everyone inside Venezuela, especially the military, that if they move against Maduro the US will have their back. Anyone who kills Maduro is going to instantly have recognition, sanctions relief, credit released etc. They don't care if you hear what they're saying as well because you hardly matter.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

Who's "we" in this sentence?

That dude writes airport fiction. He isn't the Supreme Allied Coup Commander.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wow it's amazing how two lovely posters getting hosed up makes this thread have about 10x less posts an hour. :toot:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article227844739.html

Looks like Cuba's about to be thrown under the bus by the US, and, entertainingly, possibly Venezuela as well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Wow it's amazing how two lovely posters getting hosed up makes this thread have about 10x less posts an hour. :toot:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article227844739.html

Looks like Cuba's about to be thrown under the bus by the US, and, entertainingly, possibly Venezuela as well.

Wow, apparently PDVSA has been buying the oil to ship to Cuba from Rostneft and selling it at a loss since at least 2017.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

MullardEL34 posted:

Wow, apparently PDVSA has been buying the oil to ship to Cuba from Rostneft and selling it at a loss since at least 2017.

Where does your assertion that they’re “selling at a loss” come from? The article says the pdsva has been buying oil, but it doesn’t put a sticker price on the medical services Cuba is providing.

On a side note, I guess it shouldn’t be surprising that thread regulars are cheering guaido attempting to cut medical services to his country for petty reasons in the middle of an already present medical services shortage in said country

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

AGGGGH BEES posted:

I'm thinking many of the anti-lovely dictator posters are sick of arguing with those with obvious brainworms. There is only so many times you can dunk on the same inaccurate propaganda points.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Condiv posted:

Where does your assertion that they’re “selling at a loss” come from? The article says the pdsva has been buying oil, but it doesn’t put a sticker price on the medical services Cuba is providing.

On a side note, I guess it shouldn’t be surprising that thread regulars are cheering guaido attempting to cut medical services to his country for petty reasons in the middle of an already present medical services shortage in said country

It says right in the article that they are buying the oil from Rostneft at a price above the subsidized rate at which they then turn around and resell it to Cuba.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

MullardEL34 posted:

It says right in the article that they are buying the oil from Rostneft at a price above the subsidized rate at which they then turn around and resell it to Cuba.

quote:

PDVSA bought the crude for up to $12 per barrel more than it priced the same oil when it shipped to Cuba, according to prices on internal documents reviewed by Reuters. But Cuba may never pay cash for the cargoes because Venezuela has long accepted goods and services from Cuba in return for oil under a pact signed in 2000 by late presidents Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro.

So yeah, your assertion does not hold up to scrutiny

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I was trying to look up the value of the exchange between both countries and there's frustratingly little info. The most recent source on the wikipage on Cuban-Venezuelan relations is like 2005. Everyone seems to agree that Cuba is taking the lions share of the value, but nobody can really say how much Venezuela gets out of the relationship.

Current estimates are there are about 15,000 Cubans working in Venezuela as part of their trade arrangement. I also found this quote in a NYtimes article, which i thought was lol:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/26/world/americas/venezuela-cuba-oil.html

quote:

During the Venezuelan economic crisis of the past several years, however, crude exports to Cuba have dropped as Venezuelan oil production has collapsed. In 2017, the financial health of Venezuela’s state-run oil company, Pdvsa, had declined so much that Cuba took the company’s 49 percent share in a Cuban refinery as payment for outstanding debts.

In addition, the ranks of Cuban professionals working in the South American country have thinned in recent years, analysts say, and the relationship between Mr. Maduro and the current Cuban leadership is not nearly as warm as the friendship between their predecessors.

“They are certainly ideological brothers-in-arms — against the United States and all that,” Mr. Piccone said. “But it doesn’t have the same friendliness as it used to. And the Cubans aren’t getting as much out of it as they used to.”

Yet the alliance has been resilient.

Mr. Maduro said in a televised broadcast this month that Venezuela would take in 2,000 Cuban doctors who left Brazil after a dispute between the Brazilian and Cuban governments. Medical clinics run by Cuban doctors once proliferated throughout Venezuela, but many have fallen into decay amid the economic crisis.

Cuba repossessing Venezuelan assets for failure to pay debts. Still trying to wrap my mind around that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The Cuban government may be quite bad on a number of different levels, but I still believe they honestly think they have the people's best interests at heart and try to act in accordance with that, even if we recognize they've hosed up a lot. Also they aren't quite as staggeringly loving incompetent as Maduro.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

PT6A posted:

The Cuban government may be quite bad on a number of different levels, but I still believe they honestly think they have the people's best interests at heart and try to act in accordance with that, even if we recognize they've hosed up a lot. Also they aren't quite as staggeringly loving incompetent as Maduro.

I’m not a fan of the Cuban government, but even I have to admit that they’re wildly more competent than The PSUV.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MullardEL34 posted:

I’m not a fan of the Cuban government, but even I have to admit that they’re wildly more competent than The PSUV.

It should be emphasized that this is an incredibly low bar to pass.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-economy/for-economy-czar-of-crisis-hit-venezuela-inflation-does-not-exist-idUSKBN0UL27820160107

The most amazing sign of incompetence was in 2016 when maduro appointed as minister of the economy a guy who argued that inflation due to printing money doesn't exist.

quote:

“Inflation does not exist in real life,” he wrote in a 2015 pamphlet called “22 Keys to Understanding the Economic War.” “When a person goes to a shop and finds that prices have gone up, they are not in the presence of ‘inflation.’”

Salas has argued against the idea that excessive printing of money causes inflation - an almost universally accepted tenet of macroeconomics. He insists prices rise primarily because corporations seek excessive profit margins.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Venezuela doesn’t have an inflation problem because inflation doesn’t exist. I’d like to visit the alternate universe where Maduro and Trump are buddies.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Pharohman777 posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-economy/for-economy-czar-of-crisis-hit-venezuela-inflation-does-not-exist-idUSKBN0UL27820160107

The most amazing sign of incompetence was in 2016 when maduro appointed as minister of the economy a guy who argued that inflation due to printing money doesn't exist.

It a real ham fisted and dumb way of approaching the concept of real versus nominal values I think.its theoretically possible to print a lot of money and not raise inflation,if you're the US circa 1942.what the hell is a economy czar and why is he a sociology major?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

It a real ham fisted and dumb way of approaching the concept of real versus nominal values I think.its theoretically possible to print a lot of money and not raise inflation,if you're the US circa 1942.what the hell is a economy czar and why is he a sociology major?

a "czar" is a generic press term for a high ranking official (almost always executive) with a specialized policy area responsibility. The term is especially popular for weird, but prominent, appointees that have access to the president, and for foreign executive appointees whose formal titles aren't very revealing (so for instance the Chinese Vice Primer Liu He is called the economy czar, because Chinese leadership titles are inconsistent and opaque and he's swapped them dozens of times-but the dude's functionally the guy who has had Pooh Bear's ear on domestic and international trade for years).

Salas seems to have rotated into and out of VP positions a couple times; his degree was in "sociology of development", which is...sort of qualifying? But it's clear from propaganda interviews and publications that he's selected for being able to state the party line.

edit: ugh, read a venezuelanalysis interview and I can feel the brainworms.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

How is the electrical situation today?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Venezuela has become a front page oddity multiple times this week on Reddit, showcasing bizarre imagery of collapse. Videos of groceries stocked almost entirely with ketchup bottles as shelf fill, pictures of streets and gutters full of piles of discarded venezuelan money.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shaocaholica posted:

Venezuela doesn’t have an inflation problem because inflation doesn’t exist. I’d like to visit the alternate universe where Maduro and Trump are buddies.

If everything is price controlled then it's true that inflation doesn't exist. But then you run into the problem of consumer goods not existing.

Private Witt
Feb 21, 2019
Three bits of Venezuelan news today:

1. Looks like Maduro is reorganizing his government?

Cryptic tweet from the "Vice President"

https://twitter.com/DrodriguezVen/status/1107367094470041600

2. Iff any of you doubted how despicable this piece of garbage Maduro is, this very detailed and well-sourced story from the NYT today is sickening poo poo:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/17/world/americas/venezuela-cuban-doctors.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimesworld

quote:

Yansnier Arias knew it was wrong. It violated the Constitution, not to mention the oath he took as a doctor in Cuba.

He had been sent to Venezuela by the Cuban government, one of thousands of doctors deployed to shore up ties between the two allies and alleviate Venezuela’s collapsing medical system.

But with President Nicolás Maduro’s re-election on the line, not everyone was allowed to be treated, Dr. Arias said.

A 65-year-old patient with heart failure entered his clinic — and urgently needed oxygen, he said. The tanks sat in another room at the ready, he recalled.

But he said his Cuban and Venezuelan superiors told him to use the oxygen as a political weapon instead: Not for medical emergencies that day, but to be doled out closer to the election, part of a national strategy to compel patients to vote for the government.

May 20, 2018, was nearing, he said, and the message was clear: Mr. Maduro needed to win, at any cost.

“There was oxygen, but they didn’t let me use it,” said Dr. Arias, who defected from the Cuban government’s medical program late last year and now lives in Chile. “We had to leave it for the election.”

To maintain their hold over Venezuela, Mr. Maduro and his supporters have often used the nation’s economic collapse to their advantage, dangling food before hungry voters, promising extra subsidies if he won, and demanding that people present identification cards tied to government rations when they came to the polls.

But participants in the schemes say Mr. Maduro and his supporters have deployed another tool as well: Cuba’s international medical corps.

In interviews, 16 members of Cuba’s medical missions to Venezuela — a signature element of relations between the two countries — described a system of deliberate political manipulation in which their services were wielded to secure votes for the governing Socialist Party, often through coercion.

Many tactics were used, they said, from simple reminders to vote for the government to denying treatment for opposition supporters with life-threatening ailments.

The Cuban doctors said they were ordered to go door-to-door in impoverished neighborhoods, offering medicine and warning residents that they would be cut off from medical services if they did not vote for Mr. Maduro or his candidates.

Many said their superiors directed them to issue the same threats during closed-door consultations with patients seeking treatment for chronic diseases.

One former Cuban supervisor said that she and other foreign medical workers were given counterfeit identification cards to vote in an election. Another doctor said she and others were told to give precise voting instructions to elderly patients, whose infirmities made them particularly easy to manipulate.

“These are the kinds of things you should never do in your life,” said the doctor. Like several others, she spoke on the condition of anonymity because she and her relatives could face retaliation by the Cuban or Venezuelan authorities.

3. Finally, Abrams is meeting with the Deputy FM of Russia this week. Further evidence that Russian support for the despot may be starting to crack.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Private Witt posted:

2. Iff any of you doubted how despicable this piece of garbage Maduro is, this very detailed and well-sourced story from the NYT today is sickening poo poo:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/17/world/americas/venezuela-cuban-doctors.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimesworld

I'm not gonna dispute that that story is horrible and a sign of the incredible corruption of Maduro et al, but its....kind of awkward to use that piece of news against him when his opposition would make that sort of denial of healthcare routine.

e: like, one of the first substantive policies that Guaido has made was to attempt to cut off any medical aid being received from cuba.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well if the medical aid is being used as a political bludgeon like that, with express permission from cuban superiors to blackmail voters, I can get why Guaido would want them gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Reading closer, the line about denying treatment to opposition members is particularly heinous.

And this was ordered by Venezuelan and cuban superiors.