Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm on SoS and I'm a little into Dante's part and the Furies and Blade Arm guys give me the most trouble :(

Blade Arm guys aren't hard but they kill my style because I feel like no matter what I hit them with they teleport away which takes 5 years and have too much health for minions that pull that poo poo. Then the Fury teleporting assholes I just don't like... understand at all. It's not like I've died to one yet but I have lost a TON of health whenever they show up because I just do not understand how to fight them as they don't seem to stagger at all whenever I do hit them and I'm real bad at their tells other than "oh he vanished, I'm gonna get hit from the front in a second aren't I?"

I did two runs of SoS Mission 10 (I abandoned the first one because I missed the blue orb despite how I was probably on track to get the S due to dumb luck), and those two enemies in particular are weird.

With Fury, I feel like I'm on the cusp of understanding how they work. They really don't like bullets, so gunslinger can really mess up their day. I just need to figure out a good way to convert that to some melee damage.

The Blade Arm guys either get bodied in a sea of enemies when I'm wilding with King Cerberus or the motorcycle, or teleport away after every hit. Trickster can help narrow the gap pretty quickly, but I feel like that only goes so far

Huh.

Also, worst enemies in the series (non DMC2) are probably either the DMC4 sharks as Dante, or DMC3 DMD Enigmas

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Enigmas are made of paper and can die to guns pretty easily and the Sword Sharks get slowed down by guns so you can hit and make them helpless. None of them are fun to fight but they do not drag out a fight nor teleport out of your combos like the Judecca can or attack you from offscreen or have stupid amounts of health.

It doesnt help every time I fight them I can not guarantee I maintain style ranking, but maybe with the combo in that vid I can at least do it more consistently now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah but DMD Enigmas are loving nightmares, unless I really missed the boat on how to deal with them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Any enemy on DMC3 DMD is a nightmare that was a really unfun game on dmd.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
What, no, no other enemy got insane movement boosts and i-frames like Enigmas did in DMD. Beating the poo poo out of everything to build meter and burn it on DT Explosion was plenty fun, but if you can't even do combos like in the case of Enigmas, the gently caress are you supposed to do?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Wasn't Nevan the anti-Enigma weapon in that game?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what's everyone's opinion on (postgame dante equipment) rebellion vs sparda vs dante

the last one's got some good spammy moves but losing the moveset i've become familiar with over the last ten years still messes up my flow from time to time

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

what's everyone's opinion on (postgame dante equipment) rebellion vs sparda vs dante

the last one's got some good spammy moves but losing the moveset i've become familiar with over the last ten years still messes up my flow from time to time

Rebellion is objectively the worst among them as Sparda is stronger and has additional moves on top of shared moves with Rebellion. DSD is probably the optimal sword because the summoned swords allow for so much combo and style potential.

I still use Rebellion though, because the other swords are ugly as poo poo! Though with that mod that reskins DSD into Rebellion and SoS+ being real tough to S-rank at times, I feel that I'll have to get used to DSD's moveset eventually.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Dante is as ugly as Dante is cute, so go Rebel

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

DSD fixes almost every problem I've ever had with Dante's base sword moveset ever since DMC1, short of just making Stinger automatically go into Million Stab. Defaulting to Helm Breaker as your only non-style aerial attack has always been incredibly frustrating and I'm glad they had the sense to walk that back as soon as they could. That said, ever since I unlocked the ability to, I've kept Sparda right next to DMD just for the sake of the lost style moves and nothing else.

That said I wish they took a note from DMC4SE Vergil's book and also gave Dante an Air Stinger but hey. And maybe made kick mode not default to Starfall in the air too, just make all the knockdown moves command normals.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 16, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

DSD fixes almost every problem I've ever had with Dante's base sword moveset ever since DMC1, short of just making Stinger automatically go into Million Stab. Defaulting to Helm Breaker as your only non-style aerial attack has always been incredibly frustrating and I'm glad they had the sense to walk that back as soon as they could. That said, ever since I unlocked the ability to, I've kept Sparda right next to DMD just for the sake of the lost style moves and nothing else.

That said I wish they took a note from DMC4SE Vergil's book and also gave Dante an Air Stinger but hey. And maybe made kick mode not default to Starfall in the air too, just make all the knockdown moves command normals.

yeah I agree with all this, and the DSD's aerial attacks make the transition from Nero to Dante a lot smoother. Not having Round Trip anymore is a little lame, but I rarely used it anyways and the summoned sword round trip is very useful

although I will say throwing you into a boss fight as soon as you get that sword along with a new DT mechanic was pretty jarring for me on my first playthrough

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I'm just annoyed that Rebellion doesn't have drive and that Dance Macabre has a different input with DSD. I also don't like that DSD doesn't do helm breaker in the air by default.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'll say that having Helm Breaker be the neutral input for Dante's sword air attack is understandably confusing for a lot of people, but I've grown used to it as a "reset" move, so to speak. Grounds you quickly and generally knocks an enemy down, so you can follow up with combos or dodge as needed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

Human teaches you everything you need to know about how to play the game and gives you enough of a playground to experiment with the various moves and skillsets that you'll know how they work by the time you're finished. Devil Hunter then gives you more headroom to put them to use, with less room for error should you turn out to still not know what you're doing. The difference is that Human doesn't punish you for fumbling, while Devil Hunter does. There also aren't that many gameplay differences between Human and Devil Hunter anyway, most of the changes come from adding one or two more enemies (later one or two more whole waves) to fights, which crowds you more and forces you to think/act faster thanks to their added aggression. As Sons of Sparda is an appropriate step up from Devil Hunter, Devil Hunter is an appropriate step up from Human.

Agree, although the game dumps gold orbs on you so even on devil hunter while you do get punished, its very very minor. Its real easy to death zerg devil hunter.

I think human is a good option but maybe increase enemy hp while keeping damage low so you can actually combo practice more?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the story in this game is really bad and I would like this game a lot more if it was removed entirely

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

darealkooky posted:

the story in this game is really bad and I would like this game a lot more if it was removed entirely

Cursed post.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

i've used gold orbs to revive more than once just because it's much faster than sitting through the multiple loading screens it takes to restart a level from the beginning & most of the cutscenes are very basic "here is what we need to do in this next mission, here are my motivations for why we need to do this" filler

the ending is cute and I like some of the one liners, but that stuff is only interesting one time. there aren't even any wacky over the top overly choreographed action sequences except for the one at the very beginning of the game, which is one of the best parts of the whole thing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How is “Most Annoying DMC Enemy” not hands-down the plant parasite demons from 4? They just randomly flail with literally no tell and spike your combo into the dirt. Any enemy where the optimal way to deal with them is just to hang back and shoot them shouldn’t be in a DMC game.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

the most annoying enemy is actually blitz, which has all the teleporting bullshit of the judecas but instead of being able to instantly hit them out of their teleports you have to shoot them a dozen times and they also have miniboss tier health

Bust Rodd posted:

Any enemy where the optimal way to deal with them is just to hang back and shoot them shouldn’t be in a DMC game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

darealkooky posted:

the most annoying enemy is actually blitz, which has all the teleporting bullshit of the judecas but instead of being able to instantly hit them out of their teleports you have to shoot them a dozen times and they also have miniboss tier health

Shadows: you shotgun them to expose their meaty core and then you gently caress them up with Alastor.

Blitz: Killer Bee -> Royal Guard cancel is a two move combo that utterly breaks them on every difficulty.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

darealkooky posted:

i've used gold orbs to revive more than once just because it's much faster than sitting through the multiple loading screens it takes to restart a level from the beginning & most of the cutscenes are very basic "here is what we need to do in this next mission, here are my motivations for why we need to do this" filler

You can retry from checkpoint which is one loading screen and it doesn't involve running the whole level again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm still missing an entire segment of my life bar despite being at 0/4 blue orbs and getting every fragment i saw on all the guides posted

there aren't any fragments that are difficulty-locked, right

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bust Rodd posted:

How is “Most Annoying DMC Enemy” not hands-down the plant parasite demons from 4? They just randomly flail with literally no tell and spike your combo into the dirt. Any enemy where the optimal way to deal with them is just to hang back and shoot them shouldn’t be in a DMC game.

Because you can shoot them and disable the parasite and kill them in one combo. Even on DMD mode the only time they are a problem is when more than one assault chimera is in the room and that is because assaults are far more aggressive and liable to do wacky poo poo that catches you so that is not even a trait unique to the chimera version.

There are like 800 ways to stomp on the blitz and kill it in a combo as every character in DMC4 except Nero who has to play a longer game and one charge shot level 3 is enough to bring them out of lightning mode and then double buster them into death. They are not as bad as like a group of frosts who will get in your face as others try to shoot you from the back or do their dumb icicle attack that seems to have a very bizarre hit box that dodge rolling cannot handle.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, on a whim I played Mission 11 again, and Royal Revenge also working on everything is so loving good against Cavalier Angelo because you can literally fire his own lightning calldowns back at him for some bizarre but ultimately irrelevant reason.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

darealkooky posted:

look at this dead weight here.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oxxidation posted:

i'm still missing an entire segment of my life bar despite being at 0/4 blue orbs and getting every fragment i saw on all the guides posted

there aren't any fragments that are difficulty-locked, right

This may be a dumb question, but did you check the store to see if it's available to buy? There aren't any difficulty-locked ones. For reference, there are 6 whole orbs to buy in the shop and then the 32 fragments (the remaining 8 orbs) are found hidden around the game world.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was being reactive btw. After jordo showed me that vid he reminded me that Balrog stuns and for whatever reason the Judecca doesnt respond to it like the other enemies so they are actually pretty free to it and aren't as much of an issue now. Also I completely forgot the dumb amount of bullshit enigma got on DMD so my b on that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJacobs posted:

This may be a dumb question, but did you check the store to see if it's available to buy? There aren't any difficulty-locked ones. For reference, there are 6 whole orbs to buy in the shop and then the 32 fragments (the remaining 8 orbs) are found hidden around the game world.

i did, yeah

just seems weird that i'm missing a whole 4 fragments, i checked all the guides and each spot they show definitely seems familiar

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Not to belabor a point but I think all the gaming journalists that loved DMC5 but added a "DmC was good tho" blurb should be forced to replay the original version of that game now.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You can retry from checkpoint which is one loading screen and it doesn't involve running the whole level again.

it still penalizes your ranking though. my point is that if you don't want to lose meaningless points you have to sit through 2 loading screens while in every other game in this series (maybe even DmC?) it only takes one

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 16, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LOL if the points are meaningless then why do you care?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
speaking of meaningless points, mission 10's ranking needs re-calibration

spent most of my fights in SSS status and still ended up 300 points short of an overall S rank

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It definitely seems overtuned toward encounters that have a ton of enemies in them. Encounters with ~5 enemies (of which there are many in Mission 10) suffer because you have to forcibly extract every bit of style points/rank you can from each enemy. What I realized is that playing efficiently is not at all what the game wants, because even though efficient play also happens to build the style rank, it doesn't earn you points. If you're going for max points, try really hard not to hit many enemies with one attack/attack combo because you don't earn as many points as you would by taking them out individually with different combos. It sucks because the encounter designers definitely realized that fewer enemies with more strategic placement/variety is much more interesting than a million smaller mobs at once, but the points system seems at odds with that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJacobs posted:

If you're going for max points, try really hard not to hit many enemies with one attack/attack combo

you can pry my kalina ann laser cannon out of my cold dead hands

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
not sure if the game ever explicitly tells you this but if you win both of the fights in the credits Nero gets a new taunt, check the abilities section in the skill list

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As an example, the very first fight in Mission 12 is you against 5 scythe dudes. I did some testing there since there's no cutscene and it's a very simple encounter that you're just dumped in right at the start.

If you open up with your newly unlocked Cavalrie and go wild mashing them all into the dirt in one combo, you make it to S or even maybe SS depending on which combo you used... and then you earn 3500 style points for the encounter. If you instead use a DIFFERENT Cavalrie combo on each individual enemy and don't cross-contaminate, you make it to the exact same style rank but instead come away with 4000-4100 points. If you just go ballistic on them and use all 3 of Dante's current weapons and Gunslinger and Swordmaster like a spaz and reach SSS... you still get 4000-4100 points. You weren't any more stylish, and you went a LOT slower, but being methodical earned you more points. It's just strange, and I look forward to when people datamine all the math out of the game so we can see how it specifically works.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Your score doesn't get much better on that encounter in DMD btw

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
got to say i vastly prefer bayonetta's approach to style rankings even if they're way too enamored with never, ever getting hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ah, the perfect image to convey my life in this game.