Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Origin posted:

Our doughboy of a governor in New Hampshire is pretty dead set on opposing recreational in any form.

should be funny to see him sputter with the new congress. the repubs rammed a decrim bill down his throat a while back, the new legislators aren't going to be as kind I think, especially given the status of literally every state bordering NH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

should be funny to see him sputter with the new congress. the repubs rammed a decrim bill down his throat a while back, the new legislators aren't going to be as kind I think, especially given the status of literally every state bordering NH

Sounds like they're gonna do it

https://twitter.com/tomangell/status/1078732181705539585

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

That took them all of five seconds lmao

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Today was oral arguments regarding Florida’s smoking ban on medical pot at the first DCA. Judges grilled the state and new governor Desantis has indicated he’s going to drop the state’s challenge.

Note the smoking ban has already been found unconstitutional.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

3 months in I can confirm that daily life in Canada is exactly the same post-legalization.

Aside from seeing weed shops and ads you'd never know the difference.

:shrug:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Governor DeSantis has told the legislature they have until march to modify the enabling legislation for Amendment 2 otherwise he's just going to flat drop all of the appeals on any medical marijuana lawsuit against the state. He's put in for a hold on a decision with the first DCA to keep them from ruling the statute unconstitutional before the legislature gets a chance to change it, but I dunno if the DCA will grant it to him.

Of note here are some of the lawsuits against the state:
Smoking ban (found unconstitutional at trial level)
Personal Growing Ban (found unconstitutional at trial level)

Plus a dozen or so others that mainly target the licensure process at various stages of appeal.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 18, 2019

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Wistful of Dollars posted:

3 months in I can confirm that daily life in Canada is exactly the same post-legalization.

I go weeks at a time forgetting that I have 5 or 6 grams of high quality, completely legal cannabis in childproof packaging sitting in a beautifully branded cloth bag in my closet. No anxiety. No worry. Every now and then I’ll vape in the evening and hang out with my wife and cats. No biggie.

Also nice to know some of what I spent on it will fund social services.

:canada:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

New Jersey politicians finally getting their act together:

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/02/18/marijuana-legalization-new-jersey-gov-phil-murphy-sen-nicholas-scutari/

quote:

The stalemate between Gov. Phil Murphy and other state leaders over marijuana appears to have been broken. The primary sponsor of the bill to legalize says they have reached a deal on how to tax and regulate the drug, CBS2’s Meg Baker reported Monday.

Instead of a percentage tax on price, legal marijuana would be taxed based on weight, giving the state a level of predictability on revenue.

“There will be a $42 excise tax on every ounce that is sold, regardless of price,” said state Sen. Nicholas Scutari, D-Union. “There will be a three-year look-back in case we need to reevaluate that because it is a possibility that the price goes down so low that $42 becomes unmanageably high.”

If the price of the drug stays high, New Jersey will have one of the lowest marijuana tax rates in the country. But if the price plummets, that could change.

That’s why Scutari said a five-person oversight commission will be formed to set prices and regulations. Another point agreed upon, Gov. Murphy will have three direct appointments.

This dispute, ostensibly over taxes, has held up legislation for like six months now at least. Also important though was how people would be appointed to the oversight committee. Honestly starting to suspect the real impasse was over control over the commission. Because these commissions have a lot of power to effect retailers, lobbyists and donors will give a lot of money to people willing to craft regulations to suit their interests. So by controlling appointments, politicians get access to a huge new avenue for fundraising. There's also opportunity for shadier financial deals, but I'm sure New Jersey politicians are above that sort of thing.

Either way hopefully this legislation can finally advance.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Eight months in in VT, and I've spent almost nothing on pot and given away ~a quarter pound.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What's happening in Illinois? CBD shops are everywhere an we do have legal medical but I am not getting fingerprinted for it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Florida smoking ban for medical marijuana is effectively dead with the unanimous senate passage of sb 182 and near unanimous house passage of the same. Gov. Desantis will sign it into law soon. It does have the hurdle that your doc must update your recommendation with some bullshit that the doctor’s I’ve spoken with already have default justification ready to go.

Once dispensaries have product in stock we will be able to buy up to 2.5 oz each 35 days and have up to 4 oz on your person at a time. Dispensaries I’ve spoken with expect to have both prerolled and just straight bud for sale by late june/early july.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i refuse to believe that ron desantis would do anything for a non-evil reason

he must be taking bribes or something

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i refuse to believe that ron desantis would do anything for a non-evil reason

he must be taking bribes or something

The state was going to lose the lawsuit at the appellate level and Desantis isn’t owned by the exact same interests as Scott so he had no reason to fight it. He said something along the lines of “i disagree with it, but it’s a 71% issue and it’s time the law reflect the will of the people.” Both John Morgan and Matt Gaetz pushed him hard on repeal and he was pretty direct with what the legislature needed to do.

Over 200k people in florida have active cards now. Old people loving love medical pot. Most customers are older people. I’m 34 and most other customers I see are older than me. It’s a softball for anyone and Rick Scott probably would have crushed Nelson if he had supported recreation marijuana.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Posting from Oklahoma just to say, look at our medical marijuana bill. It’s pretty dang good.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Do you guys think Oklahoma or Florida could get recreational legalization via referendum in the next election? Is there an effort to get that on the ballot?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Squalid posted:

Do you guys think Oklahoma or Florida could get recreational legalization via referendum in the next election? Is there an effort to get that on the ballot?

There has been attempts at signature collection for each election but they haven’t yet got the required amount. The amendment would legalize, tax, and regulate recreational marijuana like alcohol.

It might make it for the next election.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
The thought of some day possibly seeing Texas state troopers camping the state line to try and catch people bringing in legal weed from... Oklahoma... is just so strange to me. Didn’t think I’d see prohibition tipping away in my lifetime.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Yiggy posted:

The thought of some day possibly seeing Texas state troopers camping the state line to try and catch people bringing in legal weed from... Oklahoma... is just so strange to me. Didn’t think I’d see prohibition tipping away in my lifetime.

New Mexico very nearly ended up legalizing marijuana this month, but the bill has been stalled in committee. It is likely to come back in the not so distant future though, there's widespread support in the state. Texas could have a lot of legal neighbors soon.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/new-mexico-lawmakers-send-marijuana-decriminalization-bill-to-governor/

quote:

New Mexico is likely to become the next state to decriminalize marijuana, with legislation to do so on its way to the desk of Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham (D).

With just hours left in the legislative session, lawmakers gave final approval to bill to remove criminal penalties for cannabis possession early on Saturday morning.

The win for marijuana reformers comes amidst disappointment that a broader bill to legalize and regulate cannabis sales that was passed by the House earlier this month ended up getting stalled in a Senate committee.

The successful decriminalization bill was first approved earlier this month by the Senate. The House took it up on Friday, approving minor amendments made by the Judiciary Committee, and the proposal then went back to the originating chamber for a final vote to be sent to Grisham for her signature.

The more far-reaching legalization legislation was passed by the House on March 8. It then advanced through the Senate Public Affairs Committee last week but got stuck in that chamber’s Finance Committee, where the panel’s chairman refused to bring it to a vote.

That bill was unique compared to marijuana legalization laws that have been enacted in other states in that it would have mostly put legal cannabis sales in state-run stores (while making some allowances for the licensing of private retailers).

Meanwhile, the decriminalization proposal, sponsored by Joseph Cervantes (D), would decrease penalties for possession of up to half an ounce of cannabis to a $50 fine, treated as a penalty assessment misdemeanor without the threat of jail time.

this is the year legalization is finally able to win votes in legislatures, rather than only via ballot initiatives. I think the big change is that industry and capital finally became interested, and with their interest came lobbying power. Honestly I've really struggled to understand how marijuana reform, despite being so broadly popular, received so little support from our representatives. It's really paints an unflattering picture of our democracy.

Only now that people are waking up to how much loving money is at stake will lawmakers take action. By comparison all of the issues of justice and rightness are insubstantial to our leaders.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Squalid posted:

this is the year legalization is finally able to win votes in legislatures, rather than only via ballot initiatives. I think the big change is that industry and capital finally became interested, and with their interest came lobbying power. Honestly I've really struggled to understand how marijuana reform, despite being so broadly popular, received so little support from our representatives. It's really paints an unflattering picture of our democracy.

Only now that people are waking up to how much loving money is at stake will lawmakers take action. By comparison all of the issues of justice and rightness are insubstantial to our leaders.

In this case, it's not necessarily that justice and rightness are insubstantial so much as there are still many people whose perception of "justice and rightness" is utterly devoid of rational thought. The US still has a massive infestation of conservative zealots who believe that marijuana is no less harmful than crystal meth, and/or that anyone caught deviating from their obsolete morals is unworthy of compassion, legal rights, or human dignity.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cockmaster posted:

In this case, it's not necessarily that justice and rightness are insubstantial so much as there are still many people whose perception of "justice and rightness" is utterly devoid of rational thought. The US still has a massive infestation of conservative zealots who believe that marijuana is no less harmful than crystal meth, and/or that anyone caught deviating from their obsolete morals is unworthy of compassion, legal rights, or human dignity.

Or that someone can't be both criminal and victim. Even otherwise compassionate people often have trouble with nuance. It's so frustrating.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

As of monday, smokeable cannabis is legal in Florida for medical patients. Patients need to get their doctor to update their recommendation and sign a dangers of smoking disclosure with your doctor. Currently Trulieve is the only dispensary with green available at the bargain basement prices of 33-53/eighth ounce with no larger quantities available.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Legal weed just died in NJ. I don't anticipate that it'll ever happen, now. Maybe New York will do it.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Casey Finnigan posted:

Legal weed just died in NJ. I don't anticipate that it'll ever happen, now. Maybe New York will do it.

I'm guessing you haven't been following the news out of NY then.

It's likely dead here too, at least this year.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Why is it so hard for those states to get their act together? Legal weed has been a slam dunk for a couple of years now.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
NJ and NY state governments need to focus on more important things. They work tirelessly to allow roads to get eaten up by potholes, increase MTA fares, and let the NJ Transit sub-Hudson tunnels erode from the inside out until a horrific accident is basically inevitable.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

How are u posted:

Why is it so hard for those states to get their act together? Legal weed has been a slam dunk for a couple of years now.

I still struggle to understand the political dynamics that maintain the status quo. I mean, a Monmouth poll in February found 62% of New Jersey residents supported legalization, and 72% of democrats. The entire state Democratic leadership was behind this bill. Yet the legislature still refuses to take action. It doesn't make sense to me. Legalization now has science, business, and popular support behind it and yet few legislative representatives are willing to fight for it.

I've noticed an odd bifurcation on marijuana issues between two types of politicians. People representing local constituencies like state representatives have been very very slow to support reform. However people in holding statewide office like governorships have shifted much more quickly to support legalization. Governors in New Jersey, New York, New Mexico, Illinois, and many other states are all explicitly supportive of legalization. However their legislatures remain intransigent and inactive. I wonder if governors are under more pressure to conform to popular opinion, while local representatives are more effected by gross NIMBY impulses of local politics that tend to be more conservative.

Anyway while New Jersey legalization may be dead in the Senate, I think its still possible the legislature could vote to include it as a ballot question in November?

https://www.nj.com/marijuana/2019/03/we-already-know-nj-wants-to-legalize-weed-say-top-dems-putting-it-on-the-ballot-is-a-last-resort.html

quote:

MAR 2-- A new proposal in New Jersey’s ongoing debate over legal marijuana popped up this week: a plan to have the state’s voters ultimately decide whether to legalize the drug in the Garden State.

But the state’s leaders say they’re not in favor — at least not yet — of taking that route.

That’s because Gov. Phil Murphy, state Senate President Stephen Sweeney, and state Assembly Speaker Craig Coughlin are all sticking to long-delayed plans for the New Jersey Legislature to pass a bill that would make possessing recreational marijuana legal for people 21 and older.

Sweeney, D-Gloucester, said a voter referendum would be only a last resort if leaders can’t convince enough state lawmakers to support that measure.
. . .
Matthew Saidel, a spokesman for Murphy’s office, said Thursday that Murphy believes marijuana should be legalized by elected officials.

“He looks forward to continuing the productive discussions with the Legislature and building on the recent progress they have made together,” Saidel said.

But the referendum proposal could be attractive to lawmakers who are either against legalization or on the fence. Having voters decide could give them cover.

For example, Assemblyman Anthony M. Bucco, R-Morris, said he’s against the legislation but would consider supporting a referendum.

“I have mixed emotions about this whole thing,” Bucco said. “I support the social justice aspect. I support expanding medical marijuana. But the recreational aspect scares me.”

Sweeney, the Senate president, said he’s not worried about calls for a referendum giving undecided lawmakers more reason to avoid taking a public position.

State Senate Majority Leader Loretta Weinberg, D-Bergen, said she hopes it doesn’t come to that.

“Why does anybody need cover?” Weinberg asked. “We already know the public supports it.”

Under the referendum proposal, the Senate and Assembly would still have to pass the plan and Murphy would have to sign it within 70 days of the November election for it to get on the ballot. If not, it would have to wait for the 2020 election.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Casey Finnigan posted:

NJ and NY state governments need to focus on more important things. They work tirelessly to allow roads to get eaten up by potholes, increase MTA fares, and let the NJ Transit sub-Hudson tunnels erode from the inside out until a horrific accident is basically inevitable.

I feel like in NY at least the struggle has been around wanting to have all aspects of legalization figured out in time for the budget, including the messy retail bits, and decisions about where the new money coming in should be allocated.

We would honestly be better served by incremental progress similar to what was done in MA.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/nyregion/new-jersey-marijuana.html

Sounds like a few black Democrats blocked it because it would be "bad for their communities"?

I'm really curious how they came to that conclusion given the significantly higher incarceration rate among blacks for marijuana offenses, and the fact that the bill would have let people expunge the drug convictions from their records and let people out of prison.

"The public has not properly been educated on the topic of recreational marijuana,’’ said Senator Ronald L. Rice, a Democrat who represents Newark and emerged as one of the main opponents of legalization. “People don’t realize, particularly people in urban communities, how it will affect their lives. In urban communities, neighborhoods will struggle against the spread of ‘marijuana bodegas’ disguised as dispensaries.”

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Ronald L. Rice is deeply out of touch with the community he serves.

I hope all of these bums get voted out.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Sounds like a few black Democrats blocked it because it would be "bad for their communities"?

I'm really curious how they came to that conclusion given the significantly higher incarceration rate among blacks for marijuana offenses, and the fact that the bill would have let people expunge the drug convictions from their records and let people out of prison.

"The public has not properly been educated on the topic of recreational marijuana,’’ said Senator Ronald L. Rice, a Democrat who represents Newark and emerged as one of the main opponents of legalization. “People don’t realize, particularly people in urban communities, how it will affect their lives. In urban communities, neighborhoods will struggle against the spread of ‘marijuana bodegas’ disguised as dispensaries.”

I don't even know what to say. What is a marijuana bodega? Like a lounge? You'd be in deep poo poo if you smoked weed in a dispensary in CO (well, kicked out or asked to stop anyway); tourists not having a lot of places to go to use the weed they just bought is actually a problem. There's work being done to create places where you can smoke weed, but it's going extremely slowly. I have no idea what he could be talking about. Coffee shops in Amsterdam being skeezy sometimes?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean there's the charitable and the uncharitable interpretation, and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

The charitable assumption is that these politicians started their careers in the 1990s when tough on crime was seen as good and desirable my many minorities who lived in the worst effected communities. Aggressive measures were seen as the only way to get violence under control. Those instincts, as well as moral disapproval of intoxication and drugs shared by many older people, are just more important to these leaders than the disproportionate effect of prohibition on minorities.

The uncharitable interpretation is that they are really holding out for political favors and patronage. I saw some writers in local new jersey papers suggesting that at least. Unfortunately its hard to divine what's going on in the smoke filled backrooms.

However the reason I'm suspicious their may be some hard political bargaining going on is just how hard Representative Scutari and Gov. Murphy fought over appointments to the marijuana oversight commission. Whether the legislature of governor would appoint the commissioners held the legislation up for months. Why would would such an arcane bureaucratic issue be so important that that the Governor would stall his signature legislation over it?

Money. What else could it be? That commission will have immense power over the shape of the legal market. That means any local business person interested in running a dispensary is going to need to be in its good graces. What does this have to do with commission appointments? It means dispensary owners are going make fat donations to the political campaigns of whoever appoints the commissioners. It's going to make for a fundraising bonanza for the people in charge. That's why the Governor and State Senate both wanted control and ultimately had to agree to share it.

I don't know what if any other wheeling and dealing might be going on behind the scenes. Maybe its all above board. Or maybe somebody thinks they can get a better deal by holding out.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

One bright bit of news today:

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/guam-becomes-first-u-s-territory-to-send-marijuana-legalization-to-governor-in-2019/

quote:

Lawmakers in Guam voted in favor of a bill to legalize marijuana on Wednesday, which means the island territory could become the first place in the U.S. to end cannabis prohibition in 2019.

The legislation, which would permit adults 21 and older to possess, consume, cultivate and purchase certain amounts of marijuana from licensed retailers, now heads to the desk of the Guam’s pro-reform governor.

The governor is expected to sign this into law. Guam only has 164,000 people and no voting representation in Congress so this is unlikely to have much national impact. Still, this seems to be part of a broader shift on cannabis in Oceania that has also included legalization in the Northern Marianas. Guam is a major tourist destination and military hub so this could have a positive effect on the perception of legalization for people visiting and in Oceania generally.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
These idiots can’t help themselves. Why? Who’s asking for this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.or...-story,amp.html

quote:

TALLAHASSEE — Florida patients can now smoke medical marijuana, but some Republican legislative leaders want to put a limit on how high they can get when lighting up.

The House is considering a proposal that would cap THC levels in medical marijuana at 10 percent, Rep. Ray Rodrigues, R-Estero, said in an interview with The News Service of Florida.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

turnip kid posted:

These idiots can’t help themselves. Why? Who’s asking for this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.or...-story,amp.html

They don’t want to lose the ability to prosecute black people for minor amounts of drugs.

The smell of pot is one of the top sources of probable cause for warrantless searches in the state of florida.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

They don’t want to lose the ability to prosecute black people for minor amounts of drugs.

The smell of pot is one of the top sources of probable cause for warrantless searches in the state of florida.

"it smelled like strong pot"

America is the worst

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I don't think legalization is dead in NY this year. It didn't make it into the budget, but it's not unusual for something to be struck from the budget and then wind up passing during the legislative session.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just got my first bit of legal smokeable cannabis in florida. Es bueno.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just got my first bit of legal smokeable cannabis in florida. Es bueno.

Enjoy it while it lasts. These creeps won’t quit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/political-pulse/os-ne-medical-marijuana-thc-cap-20190402-story,amp.html

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

quote:

The proposal “basically acts as a tax on patients” by causing them to spend more money to “buy more marijuana to achieve the same effect as if the caps were not in place,” Pollara said Tuesday.

“The other irony is it would result in patients having to smoke more marijuana to achieve the desired effect,” he said. “If there’s two things the Florida House hates, it’s higher taxes and smokable marijuana, and this has the functional impact of doing both.”

Florida!

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Squalid posted:

One bright bit of news today:

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/guam-becomes-first-u-s-territory-to-send-marijuana-legalization-to-governor-in-2019/

The governor is expected to sign this into law. Guam only has 164,000 people and no voting representation in Congress so this is unlikely to have much national impact. Still, this seems to be part of a broader shift on cannabis in Oceania that has also included legalization in the Northern Marianas. Guam is a major tourist destination and military hub so this could have a positive effect on the perception of legalization for people visiting and in Oceania generally.

We'll be one of the only tourist spots in the entire eastern hemisphere with legal weed. Local use will likely go unchanged, but tourism could spike if we implement this correctly.

Governor still has to sign it, but she campaigned on a pro-weed platform. Only downside is that growing is mandated to be done under lock and key. With the amount of open agricultural spaces we have, and the amount of sun we get, we could have been sprinting out ahead of everyone. Winery tours, but for weed. Might happen in another 10 years, but our head start will be quite diminished by then.