Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

food court bailiff posted:

lmao i just saw this episode for the very first time and was like "holy poo poo call the cops" and diane did not disappoint

but she didn't, she pretended to, then bedded him later. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
cool, a buncha new posts in the frasier thread

oh its just goons demonstrating they're not psychologically built to watch sitcom television

its like unfrozen cavemen in reverse. "how bout those 90s huh. strange times, wonder if that was really what it was like" :wth:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm starting to think maybe this "frasier" guy isn't such a great psychiatrist after all!!! :ohdear:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

You're so much better at internalizing misogyny! So cool!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

this page is like if frasier were set in todays time and online instead of the radio, which is to say, bad

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

You're so much better at internalizing misogyny! So cool!

What the gently caress is this post

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I must have been drunk as poo poo when I wrote this

more like oldmemoryless

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Are you really trolling the Frasier thread?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Uh, you are with that nonsense projection? Where did that even come from?

Is anyone genuinely surprised that a show from 30 years ago was not 30 years ahead of its time? Consider your answer. Jesus, I hope you never find out about a little show they did called F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I pressed the Take me to funny posts button and a bunch of poo poo came out instead and now I'm covered in thread poo poo, it was never going to be any other way

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Le Cigar Volant!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Laterite posted:

Le Cigar Volant!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I pressed the Take me to funny posts button and a bunch of poo poo came out instead and now I'm covered in thread poo poo, it was never going to be any other way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3zWP3Mrbqs

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
"He was a detective you know!"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDu7YJ1FX7A

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Taxi is especially woke, you'll love it

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I went into watching Cheers thinking I’d hate Sam but it’s actually pretty self aware. His depiction as a recovering alcoholic is surprisingly accurate for the time.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ted Danson coming off as a nice guy made the whole thing work. See also Tom Selleck.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I went into watching Cheers thinking I’d hate Sam but it’s actually pretty self aware. His depiction as a recovering alcoholic is surprisingly accurate for the time.

That show is ridiculously well written for being an 80s sitcom.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bloodplay it again posted:

Anthony LaPaglia's wikipedia page says he was only in 8 episodes of Frasier. No loving way it has only been 8 episodes. It feels like 8 seasons. You're telling me there's more Simon-esque garbage in this show? No wonder you all have been talking poo poo about the later seasons.

The strangest part of watching Frasier right after Cheers (especially in an all-you-can-consume setup like Netflix) is the realization that I've been watching Kelsey Grammer play the same dude for sixteen years of his life in less than a year of my own. It's like he's aging at an accelerated rate and it's weird as hell because there's nothing else out there comparable. If M.A.S.H. had gotten a decade-long spinoff maybe I wouldn't be so weirded out by it.

Tech chat: do computers ever become relevant again in Frasier? There's one episode where he and Niles are trying to write a book together and they use an older laptop, but that's all I really remember in terms of computers. Cheers had an entire story arc that involved a computer in the late 80s but it's like tech (outside of cell phones) doesn't exist in Frasier.

^^^ Cheers spoilers: Sam joins a sex addiction group at the end of the final season of Cheers

I remember an episode where Frederick comes over and Niles gives his video game a shot, which is actually portrayed pretty well; ie, minimalistically. Also Niles is comically terrible at it and becomes determined to improve.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There's plenty of real people in their 40's who barely work and are constantly drunk and loving people who they just met, but their lives are sad.

Sounds like the life. Frasier is divorced, wealthy and has a fairly low-intensity job, and goes through periods where he's unemployed but clearly doesn't really need to work, not surprising he prefer to focus on his social life. Probably doesn't help that he keeps dating bimbos, possibly trying a change from Lillith.

Most of the episodes with Frederick and Lillith seem actually pretty well done, a nice portrayal of divorced parents who make an effort to get along and make sure their child has a nice and stable life. (even if of course they mess up comically along the way) Using Frederick sparingly was a smart idea, most TV shows have no idea what to do with child characters so having an occasional visit works well for using about every plot you could with Frederick but not having to write around him the rest of the time.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You know that's a great point, if anyone's earned the right to date bimbos for the rest of their life and not catch poo poo about it, it's him.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
mercy!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Still more woke than Friends!

That bar is floating somewhere in the molten core of our planet.

What was offensive about Friends? I never really watched any of it.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

tactlessbastard posted:

What was offensive about Friends? I never really watched any of it.

it was never explicitly shown but chandler definitely forwarded racist chain emails

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

lol but seriously I posted:

it was never explicitly shown but chandler definitely forwarded racist chain emails

He gets them first from Ross.

"It's anthropology! The skull shapes are different!!! You don't think that has any effect?"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

lol but seriously I posted:

This made me laugh harder than anything on the couple seasons I saw with an ex.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Laterite posted:

Le Cigar Volant!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
F.R.I.E.N.D.S always struck me as total white noise. I just felt like every other show I could be watching had more substance than it did. I’ve seen maybe 4-5 episodes over my life and all of them were because it was on TV in a doctor’s
Office or waiting room that I couldn’t change. It’s a “Crazy Pills” type situation where I don’t understand how this show competes with what else was on the air at the time (Jennifer Aniston like doesn’t wear a bra in a few episodes?).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've always thought it was odd how people said Frasier was "the smartest show on TV" but the funniest parts don't involve any wordplay: they're just wacky physical stuff that could be in a silent movie or total farce created by people specifically NOT talking to each other when they should have.

Don't get me wrong the dialogue is great but still.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I've always thought it was odd how people said Frasier was "the smartest show on TV" but the funniest parts don't involve any wordplay: they're just wacky physical stuff that could be in a silent movie or total farce created by people specifically NOT talking to each other when they should have.

There's still smart ways of doing physical comedy. In fact, I'd argue doing stuff with no dialogue that plays just as well is evidence of very clever writing.

Like this scene has zero dialogue but is brilliant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpImet3Xwgw

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

It's the smartest show on TV but it's a low bar

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AUi7VVvcFw

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

W.O.U.N.D.E.D

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The thing about comedy is that you have to be pretty smart to write people being properly, entertainingly stupid.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I thought it was considered the smartest show on television specifically because Frasier or Niles occasionally use a five dollar word. I'm not disagreeing with you all about the writing being smart.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 17, 2019

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

LIKE AN ASSASSINS BLADE

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I thought it was considered the smartest show on television specifically because Frasier or Niles occasionally use a five dollar word. I'm not disagreeing with you all about the writing being smart.

The people who think of Frasier when they think of “smart” are the same people who think of Trump when they think of “rich”.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing about comedy is that you have to be pretty smart to write people being properly, entertainingly stupid.

It’s this. There’s a reason the first 8-9 seasons of The Simpsons are so beloved, it was a room of Harvard lit nerds writing for an obese buffoon.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

The people who think of Frasier when they think of “smart” are the same people who think of Trump when they think of “rich”.

They think Trump is smart too. They're not very bright.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

tactlessbastard posted:

It's the smartest show on TV but it's a low bar

Basically. What was Frasier competing with? Everybody loves Raymond, king of queens, yes dear, Titus, that 70s show, home improvement, and reruns of the drew Carey show? I think that's somewhat accurate for the early 2000s but can't remember what all was airing when Frasier was new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The show isn't smart, in the sense that it accomplishes anything other than Frasier as a constant pompous foil to laugh at. But it is well written and contrived, and it reaches an audience that thinks it is smart and wishes it were Frasier and lived in a penthouse, and an audience that thinks people like him are actually as stupid as he can be and deserve to be made fun of and don't deserve what they have.

It's interesting, because it is also supremely soothing (if you can ignore the misogyny and shittiness) to immerse yourself in a predictable world with predictable outcomes that fashions entertainment over and over again within the confines of normative expectations in new ways. Niles is always snide, Dad is grumpy, Frasier muses and babbles, Roz is a disgusting slut, and the british chick is exasperated. Something something witty bon mot pun *Dad turns on the basketball game with a cheap beer*