Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Iodised QQ posted:

awful app for iOS immediately crashes upon opening every time starting from this afternoon, anyone else have this start happening? Am I out of date? am i dying?

I’ve been working fine. If it’s immediately crashing, have you tried rebooting your iPhone/iPad? Another option is to delete it and reinstall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

I’ve been working fine. If it’s immediately crashing, have you tried rebooting your iPhone/iPad? Another option is to delete it and reinstall.

Did a bunch of restarts with no success, but reinstalling seems to have done the trick. Thanks

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Iodised QQ posted:

Did a bunch of restarts with no success, but reinstalling seems to have done the trick. Thanks

You using the testflight version? Cause this sounds like a 90 day old beta version

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Random question: I’ve got an iphone XR and at seeming-random, I’ll get this weird state where it’s like awful app gets confused what phone I’m using— there’s a grey bar across the top indentation, the menu at the bottom of the bookmark page is shifted down like 30px and the back/next buttons in a thread don’t show up unless I’m in landscape mode. Sometimes it persists through app restarts, sometimes it doesn’t. I assume it’s a known thing (it’s been happening for forever) but is there a workaround?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Random question: I’ve got an iphone XR and at seeming-random, I’ll get this weird state where it’s like awful app gets confused what phone I’m using— there’s a grey bar across the top indentation, the menu at the bottom of the bookmark page is shifted down like 30px and the back/next buttons in a thread don’t show up unless I’m in landscape mode. Sometimes it persists through app restarts, sometimes it doesn’t. I assume it’s a known thing (it’s been happening for forever) but is there a workaround?

If you go to settings and open the Awful thread it fixes the screen until the next time the app launches fresh.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

101 posted:

Wasn't there talk of using the dark Twitter embed on the dark theme? Just got blinded again and remembered

Also, in a similar vein, any update on the OLED theme?

Yep! Haven't gotten to it yet.

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I got this just yesterday:

Oof, that error message is useless. I'll make a note to figure out what's going on here!

dismas posted:

So if you hit edit on a post, cancel out, and then try to write a new post, it goes back to editing the old post unless you cancel out of that again

This is easy for me to accidentally do if I try to quote my own post and hit edit by mistake.

As mentioned, it's by design, but it is definitely confusing. Really need to sit down and figure out the solution here. It's either a surprisingly tricky design problem (possibly) or I'm poo poo at design (definitely).

Fedule posted:

The quote/edit confusion thing… [mod issues] [good ideas]

This is a great summary, thanks!

Regular Nintendo posted:

I can't save gifs

On it!

The man called M posted:

Another update, another complaint about filter thread being broken.

Must be Sunday...

Next version!

Iodised QQ posted:

awful app for iOS immediately crashes upon opening every time starting from this afternoon, anyone else have this start happening? Am I out of date? am i dying?

I'll check crash logs and see if I can figure it out. Sorry about that!

It's on my list, but aside from what's been mentioned I'm not sure what's going on yet.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lmao embedded youtube 500s send some serious poo poo back

*scrolls right*

For the record I am not advocating this get fixed

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

pokeyman posted:

As mentioned, it's by design, but it is definitely confusing. Really need to sit down and figure out the solution here. It's either a surprisingly tricky design problem (possibly) or I'm poo poo at design (definitely).

change the Post button in a way that indicates it is now Edit Post?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Crime on a Dime posted:

change the Post button in a way that indicates it is now Edit Post?

That sounds like a good piece of the solution to me! Keep the pencil symbol when writing a new post, but change it to an "e:" when you're editing a post. Or scissors (maybe your edits are to cut and paste your shitpost film)? Or something else entirely. This would be a good way of alerting the user to what state they're currently in, and can (+ should?) be implemented independently of my suggestions at the bottom for post interface changes.

But I think the fundamental issue is that the button does too many things for the level of interaction it affords. The pencil icon button does 3 things, depending on how you count:
  • begin writing a new post;
  • resume writing that new post;
  • and resume editing some old post;
...but the only way you can interact with it is by tapping it. Same for the per-post Quote button, where each Quote button can:
  • start a new post (with quote);
  • resume a current post (adding the quote at the current cursor location);
  • or resume current edit (also adding the quote at the current cursor location).

Each of the three resulting actions are certainly related, but they're also critically distinct, and they need the user interface to distinguish them better. Additionally, there's no obvious way to discard a nascent edit in order to switch to writing a new post, and the non-obvious way (backing out of the thread and then tapping it afresh -- but not swiping leftwards to reopen it!) also loses your current place in the thread.

I also have a few suggestions for improving the interface model! From easiest to hardest:

#1: when you have an existing post or edit view, the "Write" button no longer just shows the current view, but instead shows a popup menu with two choices. If you're writing a new post, the options are "Resume Post" and "Discard Post"; while editing a post, "Keep Editing" and "Discard Edit".
        A similar pair of popup options would be present within the per-post "•••" menu when you hit the Quote button: "Add Quote to Post" vs "Discard and Quote" with an existing new post, or "Add Quote to Edit" vs "Discard and Quote" when editing.
        Lastly, the per-post Edit button can probably stay as-is. I believe it always creates a new Edit view afresh, and that's all it ever does, so it doesn't have any impedance mismatch between model and interface. Maybe add a "are you sure? Edit from scratch, Cancel" popup if you really want but I've never experienced an issue with the Edit button wiping out a partially typed post of mine. Have any mods had this issue?

#2: the same as #1, but each of my proposed popups only appears if you long-press or force-press the relevant buttons. Less discoverable but also optional, so you don't have to add an extra tap to just resume writing your post. (I assume this is at least slightly more difficult than #1 since it would create additional execution paths without removing the current ones.)

#3: revamp the interface entirely to match e.g. Mail.app's email drafts! When you start a post or edit and then press the Cancel button, you're given the option to "Discard Post"/"Discard Edit", and an option to "Save Draft". Discarding the draft slides it all the way off the bottom of the screen; saving it slides the draft view down so only its title bar remains visible, pushing the main thread view up. You can also swipe downwards on the draft's title bar as a shortcut for "Save Draft".
        You resume your draft by tapping on the draft's title bar at the bottom of the screen, or by tapping the "write" symbol in upper left of the thread view (whether it's the pencil or the "e:" symbol).
        I think the spatial cues of this Mail.app-style post/edit drafting should make it clear enough that you wouldn't need the extra popups that my suggestions #1 and #2 involve: when you start a new post or an edit, the draft has visually apparent persistence as long as you remain in the thread, and you will also have the Cancel popup that lets you explicitly discard that draft while remaining in the current thread.

In conclusion, love the app

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Holy freaking crap! Filter Tag is back!:neckbeard:

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

The man called M posted:

Holy freaking crap! Filter Tag is back!:neckbeard:

Doesn't work for me

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Crime on a Dime posted:

Doesn't work for me

Beta or App Store?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Filter is working for me now with the update.

However, can I put in a fairly low priority request to add or update more of the tags in the app? It may just be the ones I happen to have bookmarked, but a number still use the generic thread tag in the app.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Some of them are intentionally excluded because they frighten the App Store reviewers, FWIW.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Beta or App Store?

Restart fixed it, working now

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Sometimes I can’t see apostrophes in my own posts. Like, I make a post, then notice the apostrophes are missing. Then, I notice that I literally cannot add apostrophes to that post. I can type them all I want in the app, but they don’t end up in the post.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Ogmius815 posted:

Sometimes I can’t see apostrophes in my own posts. Like, I make a post, then notice the apostrophes are missing. Then, I notice that I literally cannot add apostrophes to that post. I can type them all I want in the app, but they don’t end up in the post.

Can you see these ‘p’str’ph’s?
Can you see these 'p'str'ph's?

(Top row is stock apple keyboard, bottom row is google keyboard. I am on beta 3.47(34700) and can see all apostrophes. BRB while I completely update my app. Can't believe I haven't been updating ...)

GenericGirlName fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 8, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah, I see this too and it makes me look even more like an idiot. Part of me suspects it’s a whiff of a quoting issue on the server that will result in the forums being turned into a bitcoin miner or whatever.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

GenericGirlName posted:

Can you see these ‘p’str’ph’s?
Can you see these 'p'str'ph's?

(Top row is stock apple keyboard, bottom row is google keyboard. I am on beta 3.47(34700) and can see all apostrophes. BRB while I completely update my app. Can't believe I haven't been updating ...)

I can see all of that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
When I scroll through the lepers colony it will randomly jump downward dozens of lines when I scroll past some point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jit bull transpile posted:

When I scroll through the lepers colony it will randomly jump downward dozens of lines when I scroll past some point.

It does the same thing with bookmarks. It has something to do with the way it’s loading them if you get to the end too fast.

So I just scroll slower :shrug:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Suggestion rather than bug:

On the bookmarked threads screen, it'd be nice if we could swipe right to remove threads from bookmarks or the other options.

I find the long press to open the options very finicky sometimes.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Suggestion rather than bug:

On the bookmarked threads screen, it'd be nice if we could swipe right to remove threads from bookmarks or the other options.

I find the long press to open the options very finicky sometimes.

Like this?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

drat, you're really into nipples and ballcocks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I think the convention is swiping left to reveal a delete button in most apps.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TraderStav posted:

drat, you're really into nipples and ballcocks.

Pretty sure there’s a third thread in there about nipples and ballcocks :bigtran:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah! Ha it’s there already :shobon:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there a way to see sent private messages, or am I missing something?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sent, that only shows recieved ones (unless the person responding quotes you when they reply)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sent, that only shows recieved ones (unless the person responding quotes you when they reply)

There is a compose button at the top for me?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

There is a compose button at the top for me?

That’s for sending messages, not viewing already-sent ones. I can’t find a way to view those either.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
For the sake of clarity:

The Awful app shows this page when you click on messages:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/private.php?folderid=0&daysprune=9999

There does not appear to be any way, in the app, to view this page:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/private.php?folderid=-1&daysprune=9999

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There is not a way currently.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

For the sake of clarity:

The Awful app shows this page when you click on messages:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/private.php?folderid=0&daysprune=9999

There does not appear to be any way, in the app, to view this page:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/private.php?folderid=-1&daysprune=9999

Ooooh ok yeah I see now. That’s weird I’ve never noticed it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We've uncovered a rather profound social insight, that some people never give a second thought to the things they have sent, while others agonize over them

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Looking back on poo poo you posted on the internet 15-20 years ago can be a pretty sobering experience. Thankfully google appears to not rank usenet results very high.

withak fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 17, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or WWIV message packets

:f5:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

If you filter a thread by a user's posts and then use "last post" from the page selector thing it takes you to the last page of the unfiltered thread and claims to be on page 0. Using the page navigation in general seems fine, it's just that button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Extremely minor niggle, but could you make this case sensitive?