Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

People who pick warrior in a game with wizards are already boring so making the warrior choice also boring is just playing to your audience

Unless it’s Dark Souls in which case the reverse it true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

QuarkJets posted:

People who pick warrior in a game with wizards are already boring so making the warrior choice also boring is just playing to your audience

When I was a kid I that warriors where the most boring thing on earth, who wouldn't want to be the wizard? Now that I'm older and have played fifty thousand hours of various gaming, wizards are still cool, but I'm attracted to warriors as a quick litmus test to see if this new game has any worth at all. My view is that the basic 'man hit things with stick' gameplay loop needs to be a good, interesting system that's fun, before you go covering up all its flaws with bizarre gimmicks like summoner classes etc.

My best example of a game failing this was Diablo3, about a year ago (so very very post-launch, post-fixes). I played the demo and never has a demo anti-sell a game to me so hard. I played the Barbarian up the demo end of killing Leoric, and I was bored to tears the entire time. Didn't even use a healing potion until Leoric, despite playing recklessly.

So yea, it's not that warriors suck, its just that some games suck and the warriors bring it out the worst.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
I couldn't give a gently caress about modern online FPS games.

I have never found one which beats Day of Defeat.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Why not just be a battlemage

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

Why not just be a battlemage

Battle mages suck at both roles.

Necromancer for life.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Hitting things with zweihanders while clad in heavy armor is cool as gently caress. Why would I want to be some loving bearded weirdo virgin who stands at the other end of the battlefield farting fire at people? I want to cleave people with metal

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't know if this is unpopular at all but an hour into Nioh and it loving rules, nobody told me it was Team Ninja!!! Souls-style world and gameplay with Team ninja combat, oh man

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Amen

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I picked a wizard in DAO and still found it boring

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doesn't help that D&D has had warriors be useless and boring while wizards break the game for so long that the fanbase threw a screaming whining fit when they gave the warriors fun things to do and changed it all back for the latest version so warriors are useless again.

Dark Souls really bucked the trend on that.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Insurgency: sandstorm sort of comes from DoD pedigree, might like that one?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Flannelette posted:

Insurgency: sandstorm sort of comes from DoD pedigree, might like that one?

The Original DoD was an awesome game, don't think anything be the same.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dragon age 1 was mechanically fun imo but Holy gently caress the darkspawn were such a lazy enemy and "actually all this magic is bad and wizards can't be trusted" is a lazy as gently caress conflict generator and there are so many god drat bad narrative and storytelling choices

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

basic hitler posted:

Dragon age 1 was mechanically fun imo but Holy gently caress the darkspawn were such a lazy enemy and "actually all this magic is bad and wizards can't be trusted" is a lazy as gently caress conflict generator and there are so many god drat bad narrative and storytelling choices

The whole thing does strike me as a bad rip on Warhammer.

Though apparently the dwarves are basically full on Dwarf Fortress.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't help that D&D has had warriors be useless and boring while wizards break the game for so long that the fanbase threw a screaming whining fit when they gave the warriors fun things to do and changed it all back for the latest version so warriors are useless again.

Dark Souls really bucked the trend on that.

Divinity does a good job of making all classes interesting by basically giving even warriors enough abilities that they feel more like casters than traditional stick-swinging bores.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Or you can just play Dragon's Dogma again where every class has fun things they can do to help.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Flannelette posted:

Or you can just play Dragon's Dogma again where every class has fun things they can do to help.

Or a good video game.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Dragon's Dogma had all the makings of a perfect game but playing it makes you feel like they threw away that chance just because they could. It would've been so easy to make it more tolerable.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Graphics have always been, and always will be, more important than gameplay.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah but not for the sake of being on the cutting edge. Having a design for your game that ages well graphically is super important though

Vakal
May 11, 2008

DebonaireD posted:

Kenshi is one of the funnest games I have played in the last few years and it somehow looks even worse than the original Neverwinter Nights.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tolkeinesque race tropes in my fantasy game why i never

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vakal posted:

Kenshi is one of the funnest games I have played in the last few years and it somehow looks even worse than the original Neverwinter Nights.

OK you've got my attention. Though this looks an awful lot like Beyond Thunderdome Meets Mount & Blade: The Jankiest poo poo You'll Never Stop Playing

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Wizards are cool and good but it's also very fun to smash enemies' faces in with cool axes, swords, etc and maybe swing your party's wizard around like a fireball casting weapon.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Wizards are just archers with longer attack animations

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Wizards are cool and good but it's also very fun to smash enemies' faces in with cool axes, swords, etc and maybe swing your party's wizard around like a fireball casting weapon.
It's been a while since I played last(early in a new playthru right now) but I think this is literally an option in Dragon's Dogma

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

2house2fly posted:

It's been a while since I played last(early in a new playthru right now) but I think this is literally an option in Dragon's Dogma

Everything is an option in Dragon's Dogma.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Everything is an option in Dragon's Dogma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2afH5wYR4BY

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

internet celebrity posted:

Wizards are just archers with longer attack animations

Pfft, wizards can cast anywhere and blow up houses. An archer's greatest enemy is a thick plank between him and his target.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DebonaireD posted:

I was about to say something but then I noticed this thread is about videogames not computer games in general.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Twelve Batmans posted:

Pfft, wizards can cast anywhere and blow up houses. An archer's greatest enemy is a thick plank between him and his target.

I've seen enough video game archers with trick shot, multi-shot, and "I fire one arrow straight up and a whole shower of them bombards a circular area" abilities to know this isn't true!!!!

inkajoo
Oct 4, 2015

nyes

Private Cumshoe posted:

Open world games are garbage, all of them, bonus points if even more time is wasted in the game in menus ("crafting" lol) than it is exploring a big boring area that looks kind of pretty I guess with some dumb quest on the other side of the map.

I blame Ocarina of Time, that game was the progenitor of big empty bullshit.

that game was a revolution and every worthwhile game since then has been a revolution

that's how you make it in the biz

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Chomp8645 posted:

I've seen enough video game archers with trick shot, multi-shot, and "I fire one arrow straight up and a whole shower of them bombards a circular area" abilities to know this isn't true!!!!

Man, I miss City of Heroes.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just kitting out that trick arrow powerset without any archery stuff.

Oh this bow? I just shoot nets and magnets at people.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

inkajoo posted:

that game was a revolution and every worthwhile game since then has been a revolution

that's how you make it in the biz

yes worthwhile games are revolutions whatever that means, OoT had some real crap level design and other bizarre design decisions nonetheless

also I didn't really think Ken was half Japanese that was just a failed Elliot Rodger joke

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Turok Evolution strikes me as having all the ingredients of what woulda been a great shlocky game but it just all didn't work together.

I mean, you play as a Native American warrior fighting dinosaurs, what more fitting enemy can there be than a cowboy riding a T-Rex?

Actually there's a couple FPSes that have a mystical native american protagonist for no particular reason that don't really suffer for it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The first couple of missions of Wolfenstein: The old blood are awful.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Man, I miss City of Heroes.

City of heroes/villains was an amazingly good waste of time. Too bad it didn't really make it to the top.

The one game that I wish was more popular would be Emperor: Battle for Dune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
I can barely tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. But when I do, 60 looks worse.