Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

I did puzzle over which thread is best, but spending 46.99 is not a lifehack.

No self respecting lifehacker would dream of paying less than that for their lovely hack though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Germanic countries' cuisine is irredeemably awful with the exceptions of Austria and Belgium.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

call center manager posted:

Germanic countries' cuisine is irredeemably awful with the exceptions of Austria and Belgium.

The USA is de facto a Germanic country.

So yeah you're right.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Jerry Cotton posted:

So yeah you're right.

America has fantastic food

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Gripweed posted:

America has contains fantastic food

Same general meaning, but I’d argue this is more accurate

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
generally the further you get from german style culinary traditions in america, the better

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0TYCEXmi90

Caveman Cat
Oct 20, 2012

MAJOR

A "bio-fuel" auto accessory, nice.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

luxury handset posted:

generally the further you get from german style culinary traditions in america, the better

Who doesn't enjoy a good beer and brat?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Alterian posted:

Trump.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Alterian posted:

Beer is gross. I prefer Sake from glorious Japan.

C'mon, Gripweed. You know you have to agree now.

EDIT: You know, I was mostly kidding, but thinking about it now, drat did playing Yakuza 0 give me a powerful craving for some Japanese liquor.

HPanda has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Mar 16, 2019

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

mng posted:

Trump.

What are you talking about, he hits on his daughter all the time

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jerry Cotton posted:

Reasoning?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

English is the lingua franca.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Parrotine posted:

What are you talking about, he hits on his daughter all the time

They're all just the wurst

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

As a German, our food is absolute garbage but I'm really confused what food Belgium or Austria are supposed to have that are special to their countries.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

There are sooo many empty counties on that map though.

German ancestry might still be the single largest group, but that's something like 15% overall. It hardly qualifies all of US as a Germanic country.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Trabant posted:

German ancestry might still be the single largest group, but that's something like 15% overall. It hardly qualifies all of US as a Germanic country.

Germanic refers to a language family. It has gently caress-all to do with ancestry.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I like how Norwegian is a thing in America even though twice as many Swedes migrated than norwegians

Norway is small yo

So either the norwegians bred like rabbits and all the swedes died out or that map is dum

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Germanic refers to a language family. It has gently caress-all to do with ancestry.

Everyone, including you, knows that's not what your pedant self meant.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

what the gently caress is the difference between american and american indian

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Trabant posted:

Go back to Germania, German boy

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

"American" is mostly white people who either don't know or don't identify with the European country/countries their ancestors came from.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Self report. A lot of white people just call themselves American. They may honestly not know anything else, but in any case they only identify as many generations American.

:shrug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Trabant posted:

Everyone, including you, knows that's not what your pedant self meant.

I assumed that was what he meant :shobon:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Self report. A lot of white people just call themselves American. They may honestly not know anything else, but in any case they only identify as many generations American.

:shrug:

It kind of makes sense. If this was "choose one" and not "check all that apply," then "American" is sort of a catch all for anyone who has ancestors form multiple places and currently lives in the USA. It looks weird like this, though.

Edit for funny picture:

HPanda has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Mar 17, 2019

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Son of Rodney posted:

As a German, our food is absolute garbage but I'm really confused what food Belgium or Austria are supposed to have that are special to their countries.

You see we Belgians are surrounded by the Germans, the Dutch, the Brits and the French.

Imagine we have to choose one of these countries to inspire us for our cooking.

It's not very difficult, 3 of these countries consider eating a necessity, and one a pleasure.

e: I don't know if it's a coincidence but the same 3 countries are all mostly protestant, and the other one is catholic

e2: there are not many typical Belgian food known worldwide besides fries, waffles and beers, but the common thing between all of Belgian food is that it has to be tasty and comforting. Belgians are basically hobbits

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Mar 17, 2019

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

It's based on self-reported ancestry from census forms. So a whole lotta people in those areas just put "american" as their ethnicity.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jerry Cotton posted:

English is the lingua franca.

This ninja kicked me, thank you

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holy poo poo

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/transform6789/status/1107057656227860481?s=21

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Tashilicious posted:

holy poo poo

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

After he wasn't in the last movie, that's what everyone asked for.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Belgians are basically hobbits

Wafflehobbits

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

I like how Norwegian is a thing in America even though twice as many Swedes migrated than norwegians

Norway is small yo

So either the norwegians bred like rabbits and all the swedes died out or that map is dum

I grew up in SE Minnesota and a bunch of small towns there have parades for Norwegian Constitution Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Don't forget the church lutefisk feeds people unironically invite you too