Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
So a couple of users come up the hall yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Twat Waffle posted:

Pitter patter, let's get at'er.

Oh jesus, my supervisor is obsessed with letterkenny, and I hear this at the end of every. single. break period. and it's the most annoying thing this otherwise really good dude does on a regular basis.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SeaborneClink posted:

So a couple of users come up the hall yesterday

Had a bit of trouble at the helpdesk yesterday...

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Manager on the other side of the state from me, 4:30 PM last Thursday: My printer stopped working, I can still print to the office printer but my desk printer won't print. <Attaches screenshot of generic "error printing" message above a flyer for a local community St. Patrick's Day luncheon>
Me: Okay, I see you have $crappyoldHP, we've been seeing a lot of issues with that model recently that we've never been able to completely resolve so we should just replace it. Out shipping pickup already came today and I'm off tomorrow through next Wednesday, so a coworker will ship you a new printer tomorrow.
Manager: Should I use the one you already sent?
I do some research I see I already sent him a replacement for this crappy HP printer last November, which I'm sure has been sitting in the box down there since then. By this point it's like 4:45.
Me: Yes, I forgot I sent you that one. Did you want to set it up tonight? I'm here until 6:00.
Manager: No, I'll contact you tomorrow.
Me: I'm off tomorrow through Wednesday, but if you email our group someone else can do the setup.
Manager: Oh yeah you told me that LOL
Manager: Wait never mind it started printing again.

Now Wednesday I get to see if any of my coworkers decided to be proactive, which is unlikely, or if I get to go through this all again in another six months.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Knormal posted:

Manager on the other side of the state from me, 4:30 PM last Thursday: My printer stopped working, I can still print to the office printer but my desk printer won't print. <Attaches screenshot of generic "error printing" message above a flyer for a local community St. Patrick's Day luncheon>
Me: Okay, I see you have $crappyoldHP, we've been seeing a lot of issues with that model recently that we've never been able to completely resolve so we should just replace it. Out shipping pickup already came today and I'm off tomorrow through next Wednesday, so a coworker will ship you a new printer tomorrow.
Manager: Should I use the one you already sent?
I do some research I see I already sent him a replacement for this crappy HP printer last November, which I'm sure has been sitting in the box down there since then. By this point it's like 4:45.
Me: Yes, I forgot I sent you that one. Did you want to set it up tonight? I'm here until 6:00.
Manager: No, I'll contact you tomorrow.
Me: I'm off tomorrow through Wednesday, but if you email our group someone else can do the setup.
Manager: Oh yeah you told me that LOL
Manager: Wait never mind it started printing again.

Now Wednesday I get to see if any of my coworkers decided to be proactive, which is unlikely, or if I get to go through this all again in another six months.

Be serious, nobody would touch a printer issue intentionally.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Good phishin' in Quebec.
Gotta love phishin' in Quebec.

...I fuckin' hate Quebec.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So does the rest of Canada, from what I hear

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

You know what I fuckin' hate? The fuckin' degens from upstairs.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Relentless posted:

You know what I fuckin' hate? The fuckin' degens from upstairs.

That moment when you realize, since your desk got moved to 5th, you ARE the degens from upstairs.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Intranet site now available from the internet to check HR poo poo or whatever. Often demanded for some reason. They now have to log in to see anything from inside the network as well. :v: This’ll be fun to watch unfold tomorrow, should go over like a turd in a punch bowl. Because “THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION!!” :byodood: to spend 5 seconds logging in.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

neogeo0823 posted:

Oh jesus, my supervisor is obsessed with letterkenny, and I hear this at the end of every. single. break period. and it's the most annoying thing this otherwise really good dude does on a regular basis.

I've had a lot of coworkers who get stuck in memes that get annoying and it's always really awkward to call them out on it (since I work in small teams).
How do you say 'Hey, I know you like saying automagically but the joke is wearing thin after 2 years, can you please knock it the gently caress off' in a friendly way?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
have a boss that says toedeladhoughkie regularly
Meaning; depending on context, go away. or the job is done

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

automagic is at least somewhat inoffensive.

I had a coworker who would reference reddit/imgur memes all the time. Eventually most people just stopped including him in conversations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

Also, it's been around forever (first use I can find is an ad from 1947). Usually referred to the results of a blackbox or poorly understood process.

I had a coworker who would reference reddit/imgur memes all the time. Eventually most people just stopped including him in conversations.

Oh god, same here. He was also an rear end in a top hat to team members *and* customers. When he didn't get a promotion he felt entitled to, he left for another job (which I believe lasted all of 2 weeks since he more or less... exaggerated his skill set on his resume).

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 18, 2019

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Sefal posted:

Respond with "Ajuu Paraplu!" and continue to go down the path of Polygoon Dutch.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Proteus Jones posted:

Also, it's been around forever (first use I can find is an ad from 1947). Usually referred to the results of a blackbox or poorly understood process.

I know what it means, but it's used to describe literally every process that could include the word 'automatically' and replacing said word with 'automagically'. It's not magic, damnit! We're programmers! We wrote this! :argh:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Merijn posted:

I know what it means, but it's used to describe literally every process that could include the word 'automatically' and replacing said word with 'automagically'. It's not magic, damnit! We're programmers! We wrote this! :argh:

Well, I can't automagically make people not use it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As long as we're on the subject of annoying personal tics of coworkers, how about people who refuse to make any effort to pronounce people's names properly if they don't conform to some kind of mayonnaise-and-wonder-bread standard.

The scrum master on my project has been working with this team for over 3 months now and he still has no idea how to pronounce any of the Indian team members' names. This entire time he has pronounced Hari like "Harry". Apparently he (or someone else) finally called him on it in the last few days, because on a call today he said "Harry—wait, HAH... uh, how was it you wanted it to be pronounced?" Hari goes "HAH-ree". "OK, HAH-ruh, got it. Anyway,"

Someone else on the team is named Srilekha, which might give him pause the first time or two, I can understand, sure. And it took him a couple of weeks before he got the sequence of syllables more or less right, evidently by buckling down and paying super close attention to it for once. But for TWO MONTHS now he has bulldozed through every single daily meeting by getting to her name and going "Sri-LEEK-haaaahhh", in this "golly shucks, someone actually has a name like this! Don't that beat all!" kind of voice. Which is almost worse than inexplicably inserting letters into perfectly clear names he obviously is reading right off a nice bright screen right in front of him, or calling Gayatri "Gayatruh" every single time or whatever

uuhghhghh

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Merijn posted:

If you accept that it's used to describe a process that a person doesn't understand and as a result appears to be magic, the next logical step is to assume that these people don't understand the processes they are describing.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
BBC News report on Speaker's Ruling + Kuenssberg's tweets (always worth reading)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Merijn posted:

I've had a lot of coworkers who get stuck in memes that get annoying and it's always really awkward to call them out on it (since I work in small teams).
How do you say 'Hey, I know you like saying automagically but the joke is wearing thin after 2 years, can you please knock it the gently caress off' in a friendly way?

You can set an example by not using the word yourself, and you can gently correct someone if you feel like they're minimizing the work you do, to remind them that there's a cost to create and maintain automation.

I have a similar hate-on for the term "resource" used to refer to individual contributors, because it's an insidious dehumanization of people that nobody really thinks twice about. When someone uses it I just ask them not to call me/us resources, I'm not a lump of iron.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 18, 2019

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

You can set an example by not using the word yourself, and you can gently correct someone if you feel like they're minimizing the work you do, to remind them that there's a cost to create and maintain automation.

I have a similar hate-on for the term "resource" used to refer to individual contributors, because it's an insidious dehumanization of people that nobody really thinks twice about. When someone uses it I just ask them not to call me/us resources, I'm not a lump of iron.

I will refer to myself as a resource, simply because it helps me mentally separate my self-identity from my job. My job is me placing hours of my life at the disposal of my employer; they are entitled to the time they pay me for, no more, no less, and they don't pay me nearly enough to be emotionally involved. "Resource" makes it clear that my time at work is limited.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Data Graham posted:

As long as we're on the subject of annoying personal tics of coworkers, how about people who refuse to make any effort to pronounce people's names properly if they don't conform to some kind of mayonnaise-and-wonder-bread standard.

The scrum master on my project has been working with this team for over 3 months now and he still has no idea how to pronounce any of the Indian team members' names. This entire time he has pronounced Hari like "Harry". Apparently he (or someone else) finally called him on it in the last few days, because on a call today he said "Harry—wait, HAH... uh, how was it you wanted it to be pronounced?" Hari goes "HAH-ree". "OK, HAH-ruh, got it. Anyway,"

Someone else on the team is named Srilekha, which might give him pause the first time or two, I can understand, sure. And it took him a couple of weeks before he got the sequence of syllables more or less right, evidently by buckling down and paying super close attention to it for once. But for TWO MONTHS now he has bulldozed through every single daily meeting by getting to her name and going "Sri-LEEK-haaaahhh", in this "golly shucks, someone actually has a name like this! Don't that beat all!" kind of voice. Which is almost worse than inexplicably inserting letters into perfectly clear names he obviously is reading right off a nice bright screen right in front of him, or calling Gayatri "Gayatruh" every single time or whatever

uuhghhghh

I have a bad habit of pronouncing words as I read them, and being terrible with peoples names. But I also don't care what people call me. Names are just a nice easy way to indicate who you are speaking about or to, making them more important than that is just kind of silly. As long as someone isn't trying to insult you with how you say it, it doesn't hurt anyone to just roll with it.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Our Whatsapp team chat is *Company Name* - Top KEK

I hate it so much.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Govt. just announced in Parliament that they'll go to the European Council on Thursday and Friday, and if needed, there will be a (normal) Statutory Instrument presented to HoC and HoL next week.

Justine Greening asking for more details now.

E: Wrong thread but I can save it!

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 18, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think you're posting in the wrong thread

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

I think you're posting in the wrong thread

I think I am too.

A ticket came in: UK Government loving everything up in all directions. Please do the needful.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Heners_UK posted:

I think I am too.

A ticket came in: UK Government loving everything up in all directions. Please do the needful.

I've used lag bolts to secure the UK to the EU but I think I drilled through the power supply in the process.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

chin up everything sucks posted:

I have a bad habit of pronouncing words as I read them, and being terrible with peoples names. But I also don't care what people call me. Names are just a nice easy way to indicate who you are speaking about or to, making them more important than that is just kind of silly. As long as someone isn't trying to insult you with how you say it, it doesn't hurt anyone to just roll with it.

So when someone corrects you, you ignore them?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

duz posted:

So when someone corrects you, you ignore them?

No, I'll try and adjust. I'm not an rear end in a top hat. But they may have to correct me a few times before I get it correct regularly.

On the other hand, very few people here ever correct anyone on how their name is pronounced. Most people with non-european names in the USA just assume that americans are going to say their name wrong and either roll with whatever people say, or pick an americanized name.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
People get my last name wrong all the time, but that's been the case since Elementary school. And if people aren't using my last name every day they tend to forget and get it wrong. My entire family has gotten used to being referred to one of the more common mispronunciations. If it's clear it's not malicious it's not really worth getting up in arms over.

That said when it is clearly malicious then I'll get annoyed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My last name is "Hill". I live in the US. I have lost count of how many times people born and raised in the US have hosed it up. Its four loving letters!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

My last name is "Hill". I live in the US. I have lost count of how many times people born and raised in the US have hosed it up. Its four loving letters!

is your first name Hank? If no, why not?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MrBling posted:

is your first name Hank? If no, why not?
I was blessed with a first name that starts with C, so I have the work email of "chill@$work.com". If I ever have a son his name may or may not end up being Hank...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chin up everything sucks posted:

No, I'll try and adjust. I'm not an rear end in a top hat. But they may have to correct me a few times before I get it correct regularly.

On the other hand, very few people here ever correct anyone on how their name is pronounced. Most people with non-european names in the USA just assume that americans are going to say their name wrong and either roll with whatever people say, or pick an americanized name.

"I'm not an rear end in a top hat" is at odds with every other part of this post.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

"I'm not an rear end in a top hat" is at odds with every other part of this post.

How? I'm not asking them to take an americanized name, and I make a good effort to change my pronunciation if I am corrected. It's not an issue unique to americans, I have several vietnamese coworkers who cannot say my name correctly, and I just roll with it. Some languages don't use some sounds or combinations of sounds, and they can be difficult to train yourself to say, so sometimes people just find it to be easier to go by something that is kind of close.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I was blessed with a first name that starts with C, so I have the work email of "chill@$work.com". If I ever have a son his name may or may not end up being Hank...
my son is also named honk

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A DMCA notice came in..

Someone at one of our remote sites was downloading Fantastic Beasts on the satellite internet.

I need JD's "MISTAAAAAKE" opera singer so I can have him follow around some of our users.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sefal posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
I may have accidentally started something...

I work for a large oil company and I currently work in a control room in a remote location. While our primary job is not to be an emergency contact center, we are the only 24 hour manned phone in the area, so we get the wonderful job of being first contact for any emergency situation. On Friday morning, around 3 am, we notice our IP phones are not working. A ticket was submitted and we were told it would have high priority and would be fixed that day.

When I returned to work that evening I discovered that A) the phones weren’t working, and B) no notes had been made on the case. I contacted our IT desk again and inquired. The desk was apologetic and immediately said they would escalate the case to critical and would contact the on call person. “We’ll be working on it tonight!” Was the response I received. My primary job intervened once again and I put this issue in the back of my mind.

Returning to work Saturday night, I was again confronted by no working phones and the only notes in the file were from the tier 1 desk saying they had escalated and left a voice mail with the on call tech. My colleagues and I were at this point a little upset. We had been using our personal phones for all our calling for the last two days and there was still no emergency contact phone for people working in the area. So, I submitted a safety hazard identification to our safety team so it could be brought up at the next safety meeting and called the desk once again to remind them that this needed to be fixed.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) what I didn’t realize was that our hazard id system not only sends the report to our safety coordinator, but to the regional safety manager. So on a Sunday morning said manager forwarded my report to his boss, VP of safety. Who sent an email to the VP of IT asking for this issue to be resolved, and cc’d it to the senior VP of operations. Who then emailed the VP of IT with “Resolve this immediately.” Said VP then emailed the network team manager with essentially “why has this not been resolved? Fix immediately”

I received an email from the networking manager on Monday morning saying that the issue has been resolved (including the whole email chain for some bizarre reason). When I checked the ticket I noticed it has been closed at 8:30 that morning by a totally different tech than who’s the case had been assigned too. I also notice that the fix was a simple switch reset.

So essentially my issue somehow ended up working its was through the c-suites of a multi billion dollar company on a Sunday and landed back on the tech because he didn’t reset a switch on a Friday.

Oops.

Gorau fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 19, 2019