Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Supposedly their Odyssey (why they wasted time and resources making this when the KARP exists and isn’t terribly expensive is beyond me) and VC340 are now in full production, which hopefully means my VC340 preorder should ship soon.

I’m still waiting for the 808 and the blue 101 clone to drop (I want a blue 101, not a big fan of red)

Yeah I sold my blue SH01a in anticipation of this thing and I best be getting a blue Behringer to replace it

Ditto about the BOdyssey/KARP (is the biggest benefit the size and price? IDK which I’d buy- prolly still the KARP tbh because prejudice I guess? Still wish they’d done an ARP 2400 instead)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ditto about the BOdyssey/KARP (is the biggest benefit the size and price? IDK which I’d buy- prolly still the KARP tbh because prejudice I guess?

Price is really the only benefit, and it’s only, what, $200 cheaper? IIRC. The KARP isn’t much more than what I paid for the 1st gen Axxe I had for a while, Korg has actually been pricing all their new analog stuff pretty competitively, and for a legit, reissue (not a clone, since Korg owns Arp) of the original w/added midi and all 3 filter types, it was a good value.

quote:

Still wish they’d done an ARP 2400 instead)

:same:

Reason I bought my eurorack system was because it more-or-less duplicated the components of a 2600.

Tho hopefully Behringer ends up making a clone of the 2600, I know Uli has posted pics of an original 2600 that they bought to dissect. That, the OB-Xa clone they’re working on, and a Jupiter-8 clone are what I want out of this whole cloning excursion, everything else is just icing on the 🎂.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 13, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, here's a thing: back in 2007-2008, I bought a retro synth pack from Gforce or Gmedia or GForce Media (I think they've changed names). Anyway, had the discs for the Minimonstah, ImpOscar, Oddity, and M-Tron, with the latter being the reason I even bought it in the first place (but everything kicked rear end). I just love the sound of the mellotron, always have, always will. Anyway, I'm doing a fresh OS X install, loading up all of my plugins and I go to their website to log in and download my stuff. Yeah, I have the discs somewhere, but I'd rather not bother with them.

I only see three plugins listed for download in my account: no M-Tron. It shows I have it registered to my account, and a few years ago, I had been able to download it from their site. So I email them, asking where is it (though it's clear from their site that it's no longer for sale, buy the M-Tron Pro or whatever).

Apparently, they just removed it completely from everyone's account since they don't support it anymore. The guy I'm emailing with acknowledged that I did in fact own it, and doubled down, saying that they no longer support it or provide any downloads for it whatsoever. (edit for full disclosure: he did confirm that I'm eligible for the lower upgrade price to the pro but goddammit, I just want my original plugin!)

What the hell? Again, I have the discs and will be fishing them out and promptly making an image copy and uploading it to my google drive, but what kind of a response is that? I didn't even mention to him that I have it on disc, so he's coming at this situation, I believe, under the impression that I just got it from the site and can't anymore.

I supported legacy software before, but this just kind of galvanized my feelings on it. :colbert:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
same thing with Albino 2. When Rob Papen started his own plugin company, Linplug stopped selling it shortly after.

That’s why I’ve never switched to just using plugins for everything despite it being cheaper and far less real-estate-intensive, because when hardware companies stop selling or supporting a synth (or go out of business!), your hardware doesn’t disappear (just ask anyone who’s owned a vintage Moog/Oberheim/Sequential/Arp/Ensoniq/Etc.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

HotCanadianChick posted:

same thing with Albino 2. When Rob Papen started his own plugin company, Linplug stopped selling it shortly after.

That’s why I’ve never switched to just using plugins for everything despite it being cheaper and far less real-estate-intensive, because when hardware companies stop selling or supporting a synth (or go out of business!), your hardware doesn’t disappear (just ask anyone who’s owned a vintage Moog/Oberheim/Sequential/Arp/Ensoniq/Etc.

I feel the same way about ebooks, owning access isn’t the same as owning a thing

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah I sold my blue SH01a in anticipation of this thing and I best be getting a blue Behringer to replace it

I’ve decided to go for the SH-01A after having a look at the Behringer clone. That polyphony is just too tempting.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
what drum machines come to mind when you think of darkwave/post-punk/coldwave? looking for kits i can load up in maschine, or sample

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
606, cr78, minipops, rz1, linndrum, rhythm ace

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
808, DMX, & 707

But really just go hog wild, there is no one true drum machine that ‘defines’ any of those genres.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Edit: nvm totally misread the question and spaced and posted something dumbbbbb.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Clavavisage posted:

606, cr78, minipops, rz1, linndrum, rhythm ace

HotCanadianChick posted:

808, DMX, & 707

But really just go hog wild, there is no one true drum machine that ‘defines’ any of those genres.

thanks!

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

MrSargent posted:

What DAW are you using currently? If you are using Ableton, I would definitely take a look at the Push2 like EB suggested. I have the Push2 and absolutely love it as a MIDI controller, especially for drums. I know I have barely scratched the surface of its capabilities, but it is definitely the centerpiece of my workflow.

I'm using Logic Pro. My understanding is that it integrates nicely into Logic.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

what drum machines come to mind when you think of darkwave/post-punk/coldwave? looking for kits i can load up in maschine, or sample

Floodland, I believe, used the snare and the kick from the old Yamaha RX-5. You can download the sample set here: http://www.denhaku.com/r_box/rx5/rx5.htm

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

El Miguel posted:

Floodland, I believe, used the snare and the kick from the old Yamaha RX-5. You can download the sample set here: http://www.denhaku.com/r_box/rx5/rx5.htm

lol, SoM is the reason I listed the DMX. They’ve gone through a lotta different drum machines over the years:
https://sisterswiki.org/Doktor_Avalanche

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Roland CR-series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgaLF2F5LWg

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

El Miguel posted:

If you are using Logic Pro then I think the Maschine is a great route to go. It gets you in the door on Komplete Select, which is a great set of instruments and sampled sounds, and is also considered to be a top-quality controller. I've seen a bunch of famous hip-hop producers with a Maschine as the centerpiece of their workflow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, I was looking at UVI Falcon as a potential answer for wanting Alchemy without Logic Pro, but I've recently looking into Iris 2 again. I don't know why I wasn't looking into it before; I knew about it. Maybe I thought it was less powerful than it actually is? I don't know. Either way, my quest to find an Alchemy replacement might actually be ending with Iris 2, and that's (so far) fine by me. From the videos I've watched and the demos I've listened to, it's fantastic.

To clarify, I'm looking for a sample manipulation synth that can be musical, but can also do insane things to layered, user-imported samples for game or film sound effect purposes. That last part is where Falcon failed, as you have to use their provided libraries, either the included ones or purchased from their store. But hey, at least they didn't have a restriction on sound design in their EULA! :toot: (gently caress you, Omnisphere :argh:)

If anyone else has any thoughts on Iris 2, and/or suggestions for sample manipulation synths, I'd love to know. And no, finding an older, pre-Apple version of Alchemy doesn't count.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

To clarify, I'm looking for a sample manipulation synth that can be musical, but can also do insane things to layered, user-imported samples for game or film sound effect purposes. That last part is where Falcon failed, as you have to use their provided libraries, either the included ones or purchased from their store. But hey, at least they didn't have a restriction on sound design in their EULA! :toot: (gently caress you, Omnisphere :argh:)

VPS Avenger

I used to have pre-Logic Alchemy and I gave my copy and install files away to someone who didn't have the budget. I hope they're doing something useful with it.
I don't have experience with either Falcon or Avenger, but there are only very few "supersynths" that do everything and the kitchen sink (sync? :v:) in one single plugin.

I think it can't do additive/resynthesis, but other than that, go hog wild.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

How exactly do I get these synth sounds out of an iPad? Do I just have to run a 3.5mm to 1/4” cable from the headphone jack to the mixer or is there some special apple gizmo I have to get?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Iris and a Kurzweil could keep me happy on a desert island for sure. To be fair to spectrasonics, they’ve been around long enough to remember wholesale library piracy even when it was hard. Hardware synths with copyrighted samples inside. They’ve no such restriction on non-sample sources. I don’t agree but I get it. It’s still a ma and pop shop.

BeigeJacket posted:

How exactly do I get these synth sounds out of an iPad? Do I just have to run a 3.5mm to 1/4” cable from the headphone jack to the mixer or is there some special apple gizmo I have to get?

I do that just fine but if it’s going to be a regular use splurge for an interface, saves the jack, better fidelity.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Startyde posted:

Iris and a Kurzweil could keep me happy on a desert island for sure. To be fair to spectrasonics, they’ve been around long enough to remember wholesale library piracy even when it was hard. Hardware synths with copyrighted samples inside. They’ve no such restriction on non-sample sources. I don’t agree but I get it. It’s still a ma and pop shop.

Yeah, I get it too, but wouldn't the middle ground be "remove the restriction, and lower the price"? The thing is expensive AND I can only use it musically? No thanks, at least not at that price. I'll take the much cheaper option that can likely get me to where I want to go, audio-wise.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Perfect Circuit is running a St. Paddy's sale.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Should I get a bass station 2

No... must resist

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

A MIRACLE posted:

Should I get a bass station 2

No... must resist

the novation bass station 2 is full of resistors!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
REMINDER: We have two weeks left for bonerjams, and I've got one entry so far. Don't forget to make a video!

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

So Math posted:

REMINDER: We have two weeks left for bonerjams, and I've got one entry so far. Don't forget to make a video!

I'm still loving about in FL trying to figure out what to make - I'm too unskilled and ambitious and unable to pin down a genre :negative:

E: Blofeld and a lovely old bass

A LOVELY LAD fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 17, 2019

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

A LOVELY LAD posted:

I'm still loving about in FL trying to figure out what to make - I'm too unskilled and ambitious and unable to pin down a genre :negative:

Tell us about the instruments you're using!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
just do what I did and pick an ill-fitting genre no-one likes as a joke, but somehow it comes out okay and people like it :iiam:

So Math posted:

are we still just encouraged to make videos or is it a requirement now? I'm lazy on a new computer and I don't have any sort of video editing software

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Videos are not required to be in bonerjamz, but I am buying an avatar for whoever has the best one.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

So Math posted:

Videos are not required to be in bonerjamz, but I am buying an avatar for whoever has the best one.

I'm doing a tune, I swear! I just spent a hungover morning getting some stupid samples ready.

And I'm going to use the Volca Mix. I like that thing :colbert:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I came up with a bassline and now every time I work on the track I'm certain that I ripped it off somewhere really, really obvious.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I came up with a bassline and now every time I work on the track I'm certain that I ripped it off somewhere really, really obvious.

one time me and my friends were drunk really late at night and we were working on a song just for fun. we were pretty surprised at how good it was coming and sorta excited until another friend walked in the room and asked why we were making new lyrics for dreams by the cranberries

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

My Lovely Horse posted:

Wait did you end up with the Under Pressure bassline too?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

one time me and my friends were drunk really late at night and we were working on a song just for fun. we were pretty surprised at how good it was coming and sorta excited until another friend walked in the room and asked why we were making new lyrics for dreams by the cranberries

I love that song - as a callow teen I used to watch Chungking Express over and over and always thought the tune was a really cool canto-pop song, until I realized it was a cover.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I could have sworn a professional group accidentally rewrote Mr Blue Sky from memory in the 2000s, and ultimately gave Jeff Lynne a writing credit in order to avoid a lawsuit.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A LOVELY LAD posted:

E: Blofeld and a lovely old bass
Take it back to basics and write a 12 bar blues with a walking bass.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Siivola posted:

Take it back to basics and write a 12 bar blues with a walking bass.

Thats not ambitious outwith my skills at all <:mad:>

After many hours of frustrated noodling I think I have a few workable bits I'm mushing together but yeah if it ends up going nowhere I might just strip right down, cheers! At least the video production side of things will be within my skillset.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

So Math posted:

crap now i have to plug in the video synth and video mixer 😅

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

How many chords am I expected to jam on for this exactly

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

How many chords am I expected to jam on for this exactly

at the least, one and one inversion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

So Math posted:

I could have sworn a professional group accidentally rewrote Mr Blue Sky from memory in the 2000s, and ultimately gave Jeff Lynne a writing credit in order to avoid a lawsuit.

flaming lips essentially remade cat steven's father and son, similar kinda thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yERildSsWxM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcFKlEfu_eU