Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just started season 1. Is there anything universally terrible that I should skip?

hahahahaha wow. Uh.... OK... uhm...

you know what? No, no there isn't. I mean, yes, there is definitely terrible stuff in there that you should skip, but by and large, it's little bits of terrible strewn about in the first season or so, and it's a lot of work to skip those terrible parts without missing the good stuff. The show takes a bit of time finding its footing, trying to find the sweet spot between police procedural set in Gotham City and Bat(man)poo poo crazy comic book TV series. But, once it settles into its Bat(man)poo poo crazy comic book police procedural groove, things really start getting good.

Also, you don't want to skip the terrible stuff because if you do, you'll miss out on understanding how they polished up many of the early turds that they farted out while trying to be too serious. And, some of the terrible stuff is just so terrible that you have to see it. To wit: keep an eye out for a character called Fish... well, in general, I suppose, as she sure is something awful alright, but in particular, watch for her to suddenly throw everybody out of her fancy club. It's an over-the-top line delivery that comes out of nowhere and even makes one of the extras giggle. There's a gif of it somewhere, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Problem with Gotham is it's a roller-coaster. The universally terrible parts don't stop after Season 1 ends, they even crop up in late Season 4, so there's really no escape. Of course there's still really fantastic moments, but that lingering awfulness persists throughout the show and is never quite scrubbed away for good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A couple characters are crap but there's really nothing to skip without missing something good. Overall fun as hell show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just started season 1. Is there anything universally terrible that I should skip?

Season 1.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What’s the deal with Barbara because what the Christ. Her character just completely changed after one episode.

This is the same Barbara from the movies aka gordon’s wife right?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s the deal with Barbara because what the Christ. Her character just completely changed after one episode.

You’re in for quite a ride.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

qirex posted:

You’re in for quite a ride.

She just did the serial killer thing and threatened to murder people over the phone so yeah, this is quite a ride.

But still, is this the same Barbara that Gordon calls his wife in the Batman movies because this makes no sense. How does a straight-shooter like him find it ok to marry a murdering psychopath? Or is this just 'artistic freedom' and I'm thinking too much?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

But still, is this the same Barbara that Gordon calls his wife in the Batman movies because this makes no sense.

Do yourself a huge favour and stop trying to map Gotham onto any existing Batman canon right now. You’ll just give yourself an aneurism.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Gotham is Batman:Remix and it's great

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Do yourself a huge favour and stop trying to map Gotham onto any existing Batman canon right now. You’ll just give yourself an aneurism.

Yeah, this, pretty much. Sage advice.

But don't worry too much, because if you do get an aneurysm, the Asian FBI profiler/resident psychiatrist from Law & Order: SVU can fix you up in a jiffy. And you'll have plot-convenient superpowers.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

tarlibone posted:

But don't worry too much, because if you do get an aneurysm, the Asian FBI profiler/resident psychiatrist from Law & Order: SVU Captain Li Shang can fix you up in a jiffy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Boris Galerkin posted:

She just did the serial killer thing and threatened to murder people over the phone so yeah, this is quite a ride.

But still, is this the same Barbara that Gordon calls his wife in the Batman movies because this makes no sense. How does a straight-shooter like him find it ok to marry a murdering psychopath? Or is this just 'artistic freedom' and I'm thinking too much?

The show has nothing to do with the continuity of the movies, cartoons, tv shows, comics, etc. It's it own thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

The first season has a lot of course correction where they try stuff and eventually go in different directions. Montoya and Allen just kind of unceremoniously disappear and they bring in Harvey Dent but never really come up with anything to do with him.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

and they bring in Harvey Dent but never really come up with anything to do with him.
I thought something went on with his actor, like he was too busy or unwilling to go back on the show or something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He guest stars a couple times in s1 then they made him a series regular in s2 but he doesn't really show up at all. I think the last time he appears on the show is the victory party for Galavant.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

You hack people, Mr. Alderson, my sister hacks time, I give people superpowers.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Season 1.

Season one is the only universally good Gotham season. Aside from Fish's sections.

Everyone in this thread is crazy. Maybe in a good way, but still.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fish is great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Naw, Fish is a bad writers idea of a strong woman.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Fish is awful and Jada Pinkett Smith can't act to save her life. If she wasn't Will Smith's wife, she'd never have gotten that role.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
She's an OTT comic book villain. Whether you like that or not is a personal preference, but if you're watching Gotham and don't like OTT I'm not sure what to tell you.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Fish owns. She set the tone for the what the show became. Her eyeball scene is a show highlight.

tarlibone posted:

To wit: keep an eye out for a character called Fish... well, in general, I suppose, as she sure is something awful alright, but in particular, watch for her to suddenly throw everybody out of her fancy club. It's an over-the-top line delivery that comes out of nowhere and even makes one of the extras giggle. There's a gif of it somewhere, I'm sure.

Also this is wrong. It's not an extra breaking character, it's part of the scene.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Fish bad so what.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
True, but Fish, in fact, good

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

nooneofconsequence posted:

Fish bad so what.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fish was such a weird choice, spending a whole lot of the first season on someone who wasn't a comic book character.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Remember the balloon man? Remember that one serious tv reporter seriously talking about people seriously looking up to him as a serious solution to the city's problems?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Dr Christmas posted:

Remember the balloon man? Remember that one serious tv reporter seriously talking about people seriously looking up to him as a serious solution to the city's problems?

oh boy, do I!

And you don't have to call him "the balloon man." Just Balloon Man is fine.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Balloon Man had better be the series ending villian.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tarlibone posted:

Balloon Man is fine.

https://youtu.be/l7hxAZTTEVw

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Nice.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I like the penguin. He's pretty cool.

Fries should definitely be pronounced like freeze though, if it's suppose to be German.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Fries should definitely be pronounced like freeze though, if it's suppose to be German.
Bullock being so incredibly certain that it was pronounced "frys" while Jim was trying to tell him it was "freez" only for Bullock to be proven right was one of my favourite jokes of the entire series. 'Cause he should have been wrong and I would definitely have been Jim in that situation, but then contrary to all reason it turns out Bullock's right and he's just like "see, told you." And he will go to his grave thinking Jim was a dumb weirdo who thought "fries" was pronounced "freez".

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Bullock being right in the dumbest ways is always a highlight of the show.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
"What's Altruism?!?"

Is still hands down the funniest line of the series.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Burning_Monk posted:

"What's Altruism?!?"

Is still hands down the funniest line of the series.

... and Jim's expression following that line was equally priceless.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

I am one of the few people who like the more serious takes early on in the show but Balloon Man is a national treasure.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't know how people can say that the first season was serious and then also mention Balloon Man.

The first season wasn't serious.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't know how people can say that the first season was serious and then also mention Balloon Man.

The first season wasn't serious.

Balloon Man was VERY serious. We're all serious about Balloon Man here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I know that this is a show about comic book characters and some amount of suspension of disbelief is needed, but come on. This evil genius's plan is to get a child to sign over controlling stakes of a company he can't even legally control because he's, you know, a kid, and somehow the feds apparently don't care about multi-million dollar transactions like this.